Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,751 members, 7,820,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update (899 Views)

Late Sylvester Oromoni: Lessons Learnt From His Demise (My Opinion) / Query On Inquest Ruling: Dumo’s Response Diversionary, Evasive - Widow / Lulu-briggs: Dumo’s Inquest-ruling, The Height Of Desperation - Widow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 2:52am On Feb 23, 2022
Sylvester Oromoni (Snr), the father of the late student of Dowen College, has explained to the court why he thinks there is a “massive cover-up” in the death of his son.
He spoke on Tuesday while responding to Akingbola Goerge, a lawyer representing the Lagos State Ministry of Justice, in the ongoing coroner inquest in Lagos over his son’s alleged murder.
“We have seen a lot of videos on social media and you said eloquently that there is a massive cover-up in this case. Who are those who cover-up, when and how?” The lawyer asked.
Mr Oromoni said: “there is a massive cover-up and it is clearly stated in the police report. A Magistrates’ Court in Yaba requested for 21-days and after 14-days, the boys were granted bail when the police were not done with their investigations.
“When I saw the (former) Commissioner of Police (Hakeem Odumosu), he told me that it was not true that they were not done with their investigation.
“He said that on that day when they said they had released those boys, the courts were not sitting. I then called the Deputy Commissioner of Police. He told me the same thing and told me to give him some time.”
He said Mr Odumosu called him back and told him that they were given 21-days for their investigations and the boys had just spent 14-days in detention.
“They (police) said they were going to write a protest letter. They were already interrogating two of the students so they were taken by surprise,” he said,” he said.
“Do you know the processes involved in the administration of justice regarding children?” The lawyer asked.

”No,” Mr Oromomi said.

Scan

Mr Oromoni said the deceased was taken to church on Monday morning (Nov 29) for a deliverance service – a one-hour service.
He confirmed that his doctor, Owhojede Henry, had ordered that a scan be conducted on the deceased and as of November 29, the scan showed that nothing was found in his stomach.
The lawyer asked: “would you agree with me that whatever the pathologist found in the stomach on the 2nd of December must have come after 29th?
“I don’t agree with him,” he said.

ALSO READ: Sylvester Oromoni: Two students accused of bullying deceased were suspended in 2019 – Witness 

In last week’s hearing, the pathologist, Sunday Soyemi, who conducted the second autopsy, said that a blackish substance was found in the deceased’s intestine but was not tested because there was no facility with the hospital to conduct a toxicology test.

Cult group

Perrison Oromoni (deceased’s cousin) had alleged in a tweet “that five boys beat up the deceased over his refusal to join the cult, is it that he lied,” Ayi Ekpenyong, a lawyer asked.

“I can’t answer you,” Mr Oromomi said.
Before that, the lawyer had asked: “Did he mention that he was beaten because he was asked to join a cult?
Responding, Mr Oromomi said: “he didn’t mention the cult.”
He said he learnt that the deceased was beaten on November 14 in a statement before the court.
“Would you be surprised that one Peter (your employee) and Amanda (daughter) speculated that the deceased was beaten by some students of Dowen college?” Mr Ekpenyong asked.
“I’m surprised,” Mr Oromoni responded.

Advertisements

Mr Oromoni said “those videos were not made in anticipation of his death,” adding that the deceased’s mother made it to use it in “thanksgiving in (the) church to show what he went through.”
“Do you know the processes involved in the administration of justice regarding children?” The lawyer asked.

”No,” Mr Oromomi said.

Scan

Mr Oromoni said the deceased was taken to church on Monday morning (Nov 29) for a deliverance service – a one-hour service.
He confirmed that his doctor, Owhojede Henry, had ordered that a scan be conducted on the deceased and as of November 29, the scan showed that nothing was found in his stomach.
The lawyer asked: “would you agree with me that whatever the pathologist found in the stomach on the 2nd of December must have come after 29th?
“I don’t agree with him,” he said.

ALSO READ: Sylvester Oromoni: Two students accused of bullying deceased were suspended in 2019 – Witness 

In last week’s hearing, the pathologist, Sunday Soyemi, who conducted the second autopsy, said that a blackish substance was found in the deceased’s intestine but was not tested because there was no facility with the hospital to conduct a toxicology test.

Cult group

Perrison Oromoni (deceased’s cousin) had alleged in a tweet “that five boys beat up the deceased over his refusal to join the cult, is it that he lied,” Ayi Ekpenyong, a lawyer asked.

“I can’t answer you,” Mr Oromomi said.
Before that, the lawyer had asked: “Did he mention that he was beaten because he was asked to join a cult?
Responding, Mr Oromomi said: “he didn’t mention the cult.”
He said he learnt that the deceased was beaten on November 14 in a statement before the court.
“Would you be surprised that one Peter (your employee) and Amanda (daughter) speculated that the deceased was beaten by some students of Dowen college?” Mr Ekpenyong asked.
“I’m surprised,” Mr Oromoni responded.

Advertisements

Mr Oromoni said “those videos were not made in anticipation of his death,” adding that the deceased’s mother made it to use it in “thanksgiving in (the) church to show what he went through.”
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/511794-sylvester-oromoni-why-i-think-there-is-massive-cover-ups-over-my-sons-dhttps://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/511794-sylvester-oromoni-why-i-think-there-is-massive-cover-ups-over-my-sons-death-father.html
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 2:53am On Feb 23, 2022

ADVERTISEMENT

A sealed Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos

Sylvester Oromoni: Detained Dowen College students freed before conclusion of Investigation – Police

The students were granted bail before the expiration of a 30-day remand order.

ByOluwakemi Adelagun

February 22, 2022

2 min read

The students were granted bail before the expiration of a 30-day remand order. The police officer who investigated the controversial death of Sylvester Oromoni Jnr on Monday told a coroner that the investigation of the five senior students of Dowen College were not concluded before they were released.
Mikhail Kadiri, the coroner, is conducting an inquest to look into the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Oromoni Jnr in December 2021.
Bamidele Olusegun, a police officer, attached to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti, said the students were released despite a protest letter issued by the Lagos Police Command to the chief judge of the state seeking a revocation of the bail.
The students were granted bail before the expiration of a 30-day remand order.
A portion of the letter that was read by the witness in the court stated: “It came as a rude shock that the investigation was not allowed to be carried out.”
He also said the suspects were not brought back to the station for the conclusion of the investigation.
Mr Olusegun said, during his cross-examination led by Femi Falana, who is representing the Oromoni family, that while the police were recording more statements from the five accused students where they were remanded at the boys’ home in Oregun Lagos, their parents were arguing their bail applications before the chief magistrate that initially ordered their remand.
The letter of protest signed by Fayoade Adegoke, a deputy commissioner of police, dated December 22 is now an exhibit in the matter.

In the police interim investigative report dated December 23, 2021 (another exhibit), the witness said that claims that the deceased was allegedly bullied, tortured by the suspects, and forced to drink an unknown substance were unsubstantiated.

But it included among its findings that a suspect had in 2019 been suspended by the school for inappropriate behaviour which includes spitting on a teacher.

Another senior was also found in 2019 to have been suspended for bullying and physically assaulting another student who has since left the school.
The witness also acknowledged that the school did not reprimand another suspect who beat up the deceased in October 2021 because he was asked to describe the private parts of his elder sister who also schools at Dowen College.
He said that a parent once reported a case of bully against her son by some students at the Maroko police station.

This position was also reflected in an interim legal advice dated December 30, 2021, issued by the Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecutions stating that “There are sufficient facts to establish the alleged offence of criminal negligence against the three staff as well as one Celina Uduak, Mr Adeyemi and Dowen College for failing to address bullying and protect their students.”

The police officer said it couldn’t proceed with prosecuting the school and the indicted staff after a second legal advice issued on January 4, 2022, stated that they would not be charged for the said offence after all, owing to lack of evidence.
The court sitting in Ikeja for the inquest adjourned to February 22 for Dowen College’s, lawyer, Anthony Kpokpo, and others to cross-examine the witness.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 2:54am On Feb 23, 2022
octor employed at the Dowen College, Mojisola Bisiriyu, told the coroner, Mikhail Kadiri, on Tuesday that the deceased, Sylvester Oromoni (Jnr), complained of hip pain when he presented himself at the sick bay on November 21, 2021.
Her statement in the ongoing inquest to unravel the circumstance regarding Mr Oromoni’s death contradicts the school management’s claim that the deceased had a leg injury from playing football.
The doctor said he was therefore not taken to the partner hospital (Lifeline Children’s Hospital) three minutes away from the school because his case wasn’t an emergency.
Ms Bisiriyu was the eighth witness to testify in the coroner’s inquest set up in December 2021 by the Lagos State government.
She said that she didn’t notice any leg injury and the deceased didn’t complain of a leg injury.
She said she informed the deceased’s mother about the health status of her child and she (Mrs Oromoni) said the guardian would be coming to pick him.
She said before the guardian came to pick the boy, she had administered pain relief and massaged the part he complained about.
She added that the cases taken to their partner hospital are “serious issues that need urgent medical attention.”
She said that she wasn’t aware that the deceased was beaten and asked to describe his sister’s private parts.

She said the school does medical checks for students upon admission.

“Do you know whether he is suffering from any disease?” Femi Falana, the Oromoni’s lawyer, asked.
“None that I’m aware of,” Ms Bisiriyu replied.
She said that she works on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and was not on duty on November 21 (Sunday) when the deceased came to the sick bay.
She added that the deceased was treated by the resident nurse.
“He told you he fell while trying to pick his bible, is that correct?” Mr Falana asked.

The doctor replied in the affirmative.
She also clarified that she treated Mr Oromoni (Jnr) on November 22.

When Mr Falana asked if she was aware that the deceased was “carried” to the car by his guardian on November 23, the doctor said “he was assisted out of the sickbay,” adding that she advised his guardian to take him to the hospital.
When Mr Falana asked if she gave the guardian a referral letter to a hospital, the school lawyer, Anthony Kpokpo, objected.
He said that the issue of a referral note should not arise because the doctor does not work in a hospital.
But Mr Falana repeated the question and the witness said no.
Mr Falana asked why the deceased was not taken to the partner hospital. The doctor said they take their students there in cases of emergency and if the parent made the demand, adding that some parents have specific hospitals that they want their children to be.
Mr Falana asked “that by the doctor’s assessment, does the deceased’s health status warrant you taking him to the hospital?” The doctor said no.

But it warrant(ed) you asking the parent to take him to the hospital?” Mr Falana asked. Ms Bisiriyu said yes.
“A medical expert informed the coroner that a… dose of antibiotics would have prevented the unfortunate incident? the lawyer asked.

“I cannot answer the question,” the doctor said.
“Are you aware that the deceased was taken home over a twisted tongue in March?” Mr Falana asked.
The doctor said no.

She also said that the deceased’s lips were not scaled at the time he was taken away from the school.

Investigation was not comprehensive – Police

Earlier in the hearing, a police investigator, Bamidele Olusegun, said he questioned four students and they confirmed that the deceased sustained sustaining injuries while playing football and denied that he was forced to ingest a poisonous substance.
Mr Olusegun said that they invited all the deceased’s roommates (seven) but only four showed up, adding that the parents of the others said their wards were going through trauma.
“You have informed the court that you queried four roommates and that the occupants are eight (including the deceased).
“Now you have also informed the court that you interviewed four out of the seven, having not been able to interview the other roommates, your investigation into that allegation is not comprehensive?” The coroner asked.
“It is not my Lord,” the police officer said.
“Did you consider inviting roommates from the adjoining rooms, from the left and the right?” The coroner asked.
Mr Olusegun again said that the wards’ parents didn’t grant the request because they were still traumatised by the death.
The coroner has adjourned the inquest to February 28.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/513107-oromoni-doctor-contradicts-schools-claim-says-deceased-didnt-have-leg-injury.html?
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 5:56pm On Apr 15
The Magistrate Presiding over the Coroner's Inquest finally delivered it's Judgement today.

It cleared the 5 accused boys and indicted late Slyvesters parents and the Doctor who attended to him in Delta for negligence.

May Sylvester finally rest

https://punchng.com/parents-negligence-killed-sylvester-oromoni-coroner/

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can You Tell Your Parents About Your Baby. / Girl If You Were Richer / Please Let Discuss To Our Marital Problems Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.