Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,145 members, 7,815,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update (887 Views)

Late Sylvester Oromoni: Lessons Learnt From His Demise (My Opinion) / Query On Inquest Ruling: Dumo’s Response Diversionary, Evasive - Widow / Lulu-briggs: Dumo’s Inquest-ruling, The Height Of Desperation - Widow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 5:19pm On Jan 31, 2022
This thread is to follow up on the Inquest of the Late Sylvester.
An Inquest is currently ongoing to review all the evidence and testimonies in circumstances surrounding his death.

A Coroners Inquest is a court inquisition into a death where circumstances are not clear; autopsy reports, witness testimonies and evidence are all reviewed by the Coroner Magistrate with the aim of identifying remote and immediate causes of the death.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 5:23pm On Jan 31, 2022
27th Janurary 2022:

Links below
Please note this is just an update of happenings at the Inquest ( when somebody dies in circumstances that is questioned the process of reviewing cause of death via witnesses and autopsy is known as a Coroners Inquest) as reported by the media and not Judgement or opinions on it.

1. The Family Friend who picked Late Sylvester up from school testified and stated that the family instructed him not to take Late Sylvester to the hospital in Lagos but to bring him to Warri.
2. In Warri a scan was conducted and he was seen to have an enlarged liver, he was referred to General hospital Oghara for further investigation and treatment but instead he was taken home and treated for Malaria under the instruction of the family Doctor. He was later taken to a private hospital the day he died.

3. The Family went with him to Church for prayers even though the Witness who testified opined that he was not looking strong enough to attend the prayers.
4. The Witness who allegedly heard the confession was called to testify and he stated that Late Sylvester told only him and nobody else, the confession wasn't recorded, he said at the time of the recording He claimed Sylvester had already told him.
5. Lawyer to Sylvester's family sought an indefinite adjournment to allow them file witness statements. Lawyers to the Lagos State Government objected and recommended monentary sanctions against the Lawyer to thr family for attempting to waste the courts and public's time with abuse of process.

Laywers to the accused also objected ; They said they will not agree to any adjournment as the truth thy allege is being unraveled and would only agree to an adjournment if the family confesses to framing their clients.
Lawyers to the accused students stated that any adjournment is not in favor of public and justice , that the call for an adjournment was disrespectful and upsetting.

The Coroner Magistrate in ruling on the request for adjournment called it " Vexatious " and ruled that the Inquest will continue on Monday.

https://fij.ng/article/sylvester-oromoni-had-enlarged-liver-but-was-not-taken-to-the-hospital/

https://www.tvcnews.tv/late-sylvester-oromoni-jnrs-inquest-second-witness-peter-odeworitse-testifies-for-family/
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 5:24pm On Jan 31, 2022
Monday 31st January 2022.

As usual this not an opinion but a summary of the ongoing Inquest as reported by the media.

1. The Lawyers to the Dowen College brought to the courts notice that contrary to the gag order issued to all parties by the Magistrate, the Oromoni family have been granting press interviews and twitting on the case.
Lawyer to Lagos State sought full penalty for the contravention.
The Magistrate expressed displeasure on the action of the family and warned all parties to desist from granting interviews on an ongoing Inquest. He also Stated that he would issue summons to family members contravening the gag order.

2. The Father and Sister of Late Sylvester who had on Friday failed to show up to Testify still failed to show up today.
The reason given for their absence was that His sister was ill and her father is her primary caregiver.

3. The Magistrate expressed displeasure with their absence , stating that the family who had sought the Inquest is now stalling it.

4. The Father had in an interview today claimed that he was not appearing because the other parties had not yet filed their witness depositions however the Magistrate confirmed today that Dowen College has filed all its depositions, the other accused have till tomorrow to file, the Oromoni family have filed 4 of the 7 witnesses. The Magistrate had in an earlier ruling given all parties till 1st of February to file their depositions. Hence the Oromoni family have till tomorrow to file their remaining depositions.

5. Inquest continues tomorrow 1st February.

https://casefileng.com/2022/01/31/absence-of-late-sylvester-oromonis-family-stalls-inquest/
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by FriendsAndFans(m): 8:29pm On Jan 31, 2022
As a writer, i can adjudge the angle the writer of the above post belong to.
He is against the Oromoni family
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 9:48pm On Jan 31, 2022
FriendsAndFans:
As a writer, i can adjudge the angle the writer of the above post belong to.
He is against the Oromoni family

By simply reporting what is being reported on news media?
There is no opinion here only a daily update so people can follow this case.

This is not a case of for or against but a case to find out what actually happened to Sylvester.

https://www.channelstv.com/2022/01/31/sylvester-oromoni-absence-of-father-sister-stalls-further-hearing/
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by sisisioge: 11:12pm On Jan 31, 2022
Oga lawyer, I am guessing the school has placed you on retainership on this matter. Damage control on....cast the blame on the patients. Hmmm.

Let's back track to how his liver got enlarged? Was that from the superficial fall? It is well.

In fact, let me not even say anything again on this matter. May God rest Sylvester well, pacify is parents and judge all those involved in his death. Also, my prayer is with parents whose children are still in the school. May God continue to protect them all.

It is fun pointing fingers when you know the dead isnt your child. No parents should have to bury their child like Sylvester's parents....the school owed them the duty of care to ensure their safety. How did his young liver become enlarged!!! May God help us.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by socialmediaman: 11:29pm On Jan 31, 2022
Eketem:
27th Janurary 2022:

2. In Warri a scan was conducted and he was seen to have an enlarged liver, he was referred to General hospital Oghara for further investigation and treatment but instead he was taken home and treated for Malaria under the instruction of the family Doctor. He was later taken to a private hospital the day he died.

3. The Family went with him to Church for prayers even though the Witness who testified opined that he was not looking strong enough to attend the prayers.

Your report looks skewed from what I read from the 3 websites you referenced. Where did you get these no 2 and 3 above from? They're different from what TVC news reported below:

2. The witness added that a scan and an X-ray were conducted on him, based on the doctor’s instructions on November 29, which later revealed amongst other things that he had an enlarged liver.
During cross examination by counsel for the Lagos state government, Seun Akinde, the witness said the parents initially arranged with Dr Owhojede to take their son to the Delta State Teaching Hospital, Oghara for further treatment. But, he added that he was later taken to one Vicar Hospital on November 30, where he was said to have died that day.

3. Mr Odeworitse revealed that the late Sylvester and his mother had gone to their Church for prayers on November the 29th, before the medical tests were carried out.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 4:33am On Feb 01, 2022
socialmediaman:

Your report looks skewed from what I read from the 3 websites you referenced. Where did you get these no 2 and 3 above from? They're different from what TVC news reported below:

You know they say hide something from my people you put it In a book or In this case a long post. Abi you want screen shots?

"Mr Odeworitse revealed that the late Sylvester and his mother had gone to their Church for prayers on November the 29th, before the medical tests were carried out.

They go to Church every Monday for prayers. I saw him in the car upon their return, still in pain, he wasn’t that fit to go to Church.

During cross examination by counsel for the Lagos state government, Seun Akinde, the witness said the parents initially arranged with Dr Owhojede to take their son to the Delta State Teaching Hospital, Oghara for further treatment. But, he added that he was later taken to one Vicar Hospital on November 30, where he was said to have died that day."
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 4:37am On Feb 01, 2022
sisisioge:
Oga lawyer, I am guessing the school has placed you on retainership on this matter. Damage control on....cast the blame on the patients. Hmmm.

Let's back track to how his liver got enlarged? Was that from the superficial fall? It is well.

In fact, let me not even say anything again on this matter. May God rest Sylvester well, pacify is parents and judge all those involved in his death. Also, my prayer is with parents whose children are still in the school. May God continue to protect them all.

It is fun pointing fingers when you know the dead isnt your child. No parents should have to bury their child like Sylvester's parents....the school owed them the duty of care to ensure their safety. How did his young liver become enlarged!!! May God help us.

You are talking from your own point of bias.

This is a report on happenings at the Inquest except you don't want to know the details and are only interested in mob lynching based on information now being showed by investigation to be questionable.

People who actually want justice on this matter will follow it to know what happened not only to find ways to blame one party.

A child died, an allegation was made, now time for investigation people are trying to stop or discredit the process because it doesn't favor their bias.

Thankfully these are news reports so except you want to sat even the family members of Late Sylvester who testified have been bribed I will invite you to question your own bias.

Like I said this is a report update from an ongoing inquest, questions to how his liver got enlarged will be answered in the course of the Inquest, I will still post here.

Except you are not interested in Justice, you are just interested in being a lynch mob.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 4:49am On Feb 01, 2022
socialmediaman:

I hope you can read it well here.

Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by socialmediaman: 4:54am On Feb 01, 2022
Eketem:

I hope you can read it well here.

Can you provide the link to this screenshot?
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 5:12am On Feb 01, 2022
It is the same TVC news you claimed not to see this item on ohhhh except you want to be dishonest.

Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 5:17am On Feb 01, 2022
I got these screenshot with the TVC links in the background.

It is not good to be dishonest

Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 11:06pm On Feb 01, 2022
Summary of Inquest 1st February.

1. The Family Doctor that treated Sylvester testified.

2. The Doctor confirmed that Sylvester was taken to Church instead of the hospital. Doctor confirmed that he attends the same church with the family. He testified that he believes in both prayers and medical attention.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 11:07pm On Feb 01, 2022
Dr Aghogho Owhojede has revealed that Sylvester Oromoni, the late Dowen College student, was not taken to a hospital for treatment.

NAN reports that Owhojede, the Oromonis’ family doctor for 15 years, testified before an Ikeja Coroner’s Court on Tuesday.

The medical doctor was questioned by counsel to Dowen College, two accused students, the Lagos State Government and the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA).

He recalled treating the teenager for acute malaria at the family home in Warri, Delta, from November 26 to 30, 2021.

Owhojede also told Akin George, Lagos State Government counsel, that he attended the same God’s Grace Ministry International Church with the family.

The doctor added that Oromoni was taken to church for prayers for an unspecified number of days by parents.

“What was your response to the treatment at a church as opposed to a proper medical facility?” George asked.

“I am aware that the church is not a treatment centre. I am not against prayer, I will prefer a combination of both prayer and medical treatment,” the doctor replied.

The doctor disclosed that on the day Oromoni died, he referred him to Delta State University Teaching Hospital, Oghara, for further treatment.

Owhojede said the boy could not be taken there because his condition deteriorated and he gave up the ghost.

The Coroner, Mikhail Kadiri, adjourned proceedings until February 7 for continuation of the hearing.

https://dailypost.ng/2022/02/01/dowen-college-sylvester-oromoni-not-taken-to-hospital-for-treatment-family-doctor-testifies/
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by socialmediaman: 2:10am On Feb 02, 2022
Eketem:
It is the same TVC news you claimed not to see this item on ohhhh except you want to be dishonest.

Why were you adding your own interpretation instead of reporting what was reported on the news?

Don’t you know that adding that phrase changes the meaning of what was reported on TVC news? Talking about dishonesty
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 2:34am On Feb 02, 2022
socialmediaman:

Why were you adding your own interpretation instead of reporting what was reported on the news?

Don’t you know that adding that phrase changes the meaning of what was reported on TVC news? Talking about dishonesty

This is just sad. You are faced with evidence of your dishonesty then start clutching on straws. It is well.

Please note that the Testimonies so far is the Oromoni family building their own case; Dowen and the others have not yet called their witnesses.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by socialmediaman: 3:15am On Feb 02, 2022
Eketem:

This is just sad. You are faced with evidence of your dishonesty then start clutching on straws. It is well.

Please note that the Testimonies so far is the Oromoni family building their own case; Dowen and the others have not yet called their witnesses.

Please answer the questions and stop making false accusations. Why were you adding your own interpretation rather than reporting what was on the news? Don't you know that those words you used had a different meaning from what was reported on the news? More than one person called you out for bias on this same thread, doesn't that tell you something?

The report from the news clearly stated that the parents arranged with Dr Owhojede (the family doctor) to take their son to the Delta State Teaching Hospital, but he was later taken to one Vicar Hospital

but your report rephrases it stating that he was referred to the General Hospital but was instead taken home and treated for malaria under the instruction of the family Doctor.

Do those 2 reports look the same to you? From the news report that I read, it was the family doctor (Dr Owhojede) who did the lab tests on Sylvester and referred him to the Delta State Teaching Hospital, before he was later taken to Vicar Hospital. Why does your report make it look like someone else referred them to the Delta State Teaching hospital, but the family doctor asked them to take him home? Talk about dishonesty
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 4:07am On Feb 02, 2022
socialmediaman:

Please answer the questions and stop making false accusations. Why were you adding your own interpretation rather than reporting what was on the news? Don't you know that those words you used had a different meaning from what was reported on the news? More than one person called you out for bias on this same thread, doesn't that tell you something?

The report from the news clearly stated that the parents arranged with Dr Owhojede (the family doctor) to take their son to the Delta State Teaching Hospital, but he was later taken to one Vicar Hospital

but your report rephrases it stating that he was referred to the General Hospital but was instead taken home and treated for malaria under the instruction of the family Doctor.

Do those 2 reports look the same to you? From the news report that I read, it was the family doctor (Dr Owhojede) who did the lab tests on Sylvester and referred him to the Delta State Teaching Hospital, before he was later taken to Vicar Hospital. Why does your report make it look like someone else referred them to the Delta State Teaching hospital, but the family doctor asked them to take him home? Talk about dishonesty

You first claimed it was not contained in the report now you are clutching on all sorts of straws.

Anyway the Inquest is still on, let the facts be coming gradually. Thankfully I am am one who posted the links
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by socialmediaman: 4:11am On Feb 02, 2022
Eketem:

You first claimed it was not contained in the report now you are clutching on all sorts of straws.

Anyway the Inquest is still on, let the facts be coming gradually. Thankfully I am am one who posted the links

Can you please answer the questions? Why is it so hard to answer the questions? I asked you 2 simple questions from the beginning and I'm still asking more questions that you keep avoiding, and I'll repeat them here again in case you didn't see them.

Why does your report make it look like someone else referred them to the Delta State Teaching hospital, but the family doctor asked them to take him home?

Don't you know that those words you added "even though" made the report have a different meaning from what was reported on the news?
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 4:17am On Feb 02, 2022
socialmediaman:

Can you please answer the questions? Why is it so hard to answer the questions? I asked you 2 simple questions from the beginning and I'm still asking more questions that you keep avoiding.

Question I have answered again and again with links and screenshot. Please rest. You keep shifting goal post.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by socialmediaman: 4:19am On Feb 02, 2022
Eketem:

Question I have answered again and again with links and screenshot. Please rest. You keep shifting goal post.

No you havent answered the questions. The screenshots you provided didn't answer the questions either. I will ask them again.

1. Why does your report make it look like someone else referred them to the Delta State Teaching hospital, but the family doctor asked them to take him home?

2. Don't you know that those words you added "even though" made the report have a different meaning from what was reported on the news?
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 12:57pm On Feb 02, 2022
More from yesterday's Inquest Testimony of the Oromoni family Doctor

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/i-found-no-proof-he-drank-chemical-oromonis-doctor-tells-court/
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 5:07am On Feb 08, 2022
Update 7th February 2022.

Slyvester Oromoniyi: Inquest 7th February 2022:

1. Slyvesters Father and sister were billed to testify yesterday.

2. His sister is a minor and so her testimony could not be taken in the presence of the media. Minors are protected in legal proceedings, it is normally taken in chambers or only Lawyers and those directly involved in the case are allowed to witness it.

3. Video and Audio evidence was tendered by the family. Video showing the state at which he got home and an audio conversation of a phone call with a classmate of Slyvester and Slyvester's father.

4. The Lawyers to Dowen objected that they had not been given time to study the evidence and the Judge gave them till 14th to study the evidence and have it represented.
5. The testimonies of the pathologists who conducted the autopsy will be taken today the 8th.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 5:07am On Feb 08, 2022
Dowen College, Lagos, on Monday alleged before an Ikeja Coroner’s Court that it was ‘ambushed’ by Sylvester Oromoni Snr, father of a late student of school, Sylvester Oromoni Jnr.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that counsel to Dowen College, Anthony Kpokpo, made the allegation at the start of the testimony of Oromoni Snr. after some documents, videos and audio recordings were tendered in evidence.

Mr Kpokpo said that the documents, videos and audio were withheld from other parties in the suit all the while to create shock.

The evidence include documents, photographs, audio recordings, videos and battered luggage of the deceased.

They were tendered by counsel to the Oromoni family, Andrew Efole.

Video and photo slideshows of late Mr Oromoni Jnr. was played at the inquest.

One of the videos was Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) of November 23, 2021, which showed the late student arriving home from school.

In the footage, he could not walk into his home from the vehicle that brought him.

He had to be given a piggyback into his home.

Following the playing of the footage and audio, Mr Kpokpo described tendering of the documents as an “intent to ambush the other side”.

“The content of this flash affirms our earlier assertion that it was deliberately kept away from us.

“The videos that we just watched and the managed audio we listened to had always been in the custody of the family of the deceased and were brought at this stage for shock value.

“In the circumstances of what we are seeing, we are constrained to go and view all the materials put before us.

“I pray that my learned friend is kind enough to extend the courtesy to us as we did to them so that we will be appropriately prepared to cross-examine the witness to move forward,” he said.

The counsel to Lagos State Government, Akin George, also described the development as ‘ambush’.

“It will not be out of place to say the counsel on the other side acted in the nature of ambush,” he said.

Godwin Omoaka (SAN), counsel to one of the accused Dowen College students, said that other parties to the proceedings were ‘blindsided’.

Sylvester Oromoni Inquest: Dowen College alleges ‘ambush’ by family
The school's lawyer said the videos and the "managed audio" had always been in the custody of the family of the deceased and were brought out for "shock value."
ByAgency Report February 7, 2022 2 min read

Dowen College, Lagos, on Monday alleged before an Ikeja Coroner’s Court that it was ‘ambushed’ by Sylvester Oromoni Snr, father of a late student of school, Sylvester Oromoni Jnr.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that counsel to Dowen College, Anthony Kpokpo, made the allegation at the start of the testimony of Oromoni Snr. after some documents, videos and audio recordings were tendered in evidence.

Mr Kpokpo said that the documents, videos and audio were withheld from other parties in the suit all the while to create shock.

The evidence include documents, photographs, audio recordings, videos and battered luggage of the deceased.

They were tendered by counsel to the Oromoni family, Andrew Efole.

Video and photo slideshows of late Mr Oromoni Jnr. was played at the inquest.

One of the videos was Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) of November 23, 2021, which showed the late student arriving home from school.

In the footage, he could not walk into his home from the vehicle that brought him.

He had to be given a piggyback into his home.

A voice speaking over the recording said: “This is my brother when he was brought home from school. I had to call the security man to come and carry my brother.

“I do not know where Mr Adeyemi got his facts that he (Oromoni Jnr.) walked by himself.”

Another footage showed the late student crying in severe pain, being unable to walk and being aided by two female relatives.

Other videos showed him in various states of pain and discomfort.

There was an audio recording of Mr Oromoni Snr. enquiring from the late student’s classmate about what happened to his son.

Following the playing of the footage and audio, Mr Kpokpo described tendering of the documents as an “intent to ambush the other side”.

“The content of this flash affirms our earlier assertion that it was deliberately kept away from us.

“The videos that we just watched and the managed audio we listened to had always been in the custody of the family of the deceased and were brought at this stage for shock value.

“In the circumstances of what we are seeing, we are constrained to go and view all the materials put before us.

“I pray that my learned friend is kind enough to extend the courtesy to us as we did to them so that we will be appropriately prepared to cross-examine the witness to move forward,” he said.

The counsel to Lagos State Government, Akin George, also described the development as ‘ambush’.

“It will not be out of place to say the counsel on the other side acted in the nature of ambush,” he said.

Godwin Omoaka (SAN), counsel to one of the accused Dowen College students, said that other parties to the proceedings were ‘blindsided’.

“It is only appropriate that we see those videos and watch them, else, it will impact on the issue of fair hearing to us,” he said.

The Coroner, Mikhail Kadiri, adjourned the evidence of Mr Oromoni Snr. until February 14.

“This is to enable parties to study the documents and videos,” he said.

Proceedings were, however, adjourned until February 8, for the testimony of a pathologist

The 12-year-old Oromoni Jnr. allegedly died on November 30, 2021, from injuries sustained in an attack by five senior students of Dowen College for reportedly refusing to join a cult.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/510251-sylvester-oromoni-inquest-dowen-college-alleges-ambush-by-family.html
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 12:47am On Feb 09, 2022
Summary from 8th February Autopsy findings

1. The pathologist ruled out any body trauma from bullying.
2. The pathologist restated that Sylvester died from an infection in his right ankle ( football Injury) That was poorly treated and led to a kidney and liver infection.
3. Slyvester would have survived if he was treated with antibiotics
4. That the autopsy report from Delta shared online was botched, the Pathologist I Delta didn't open the throat and so could not declare chemical intoxication without checking the throat.
5. The Family didn't bring the Delta Autopsy as evidence in the findings
6. Femi Falana objected to mentioning the Delta Autopsy report which led to a shouting match.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 12:47am On Feb 09, 2022
A pathologist, Dr Sokunle Soyemi, has informed an Ikeja Coroner’s Court that the first autopsy was conducted at Warri, Delta, on the late Sylvester Oromoni Jnr., a 12-year-old student of Dowen College, was botched.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Soyemi, who has 17-year experience in the field of pathology, made the claim on Tuesday while testifying for Lagos State Government at an inquest set up to unravel the cause of the student’s death.

He was led in evidence by Dr Jide Martins, the Director of the Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP).

“I observed the first autopsy was not properly done. All the things that were not properly done were documented in my report.

“At the first autopsy, the pathologist never opened the oesophagus (the food pipe). He also did not open the trachea (air pipe). These are vital things he should not have left out.

“The conclusion in his report was chemical intoxication. For one to be intoxicated with a chemical, that chemical has to pass through the food path.

“If one does not open the food path, one cannot talk about chemical intoxication. The chemical that should be injurious to one should pass through the oesophagus.

“It should not have been anything near chemical intoxication if it did not pass through the oesophagus,” Soyemi said.

The witness said further that the pathologist who conducted the first autopsy in Warri, Delta, did not look into the lungs of the deceased and also did not detach the heart from the lungs as was the standard practice.

“If he had done that and weighed the lungs, the weight alone would have told him that something was wrong with the lungs.

“Your honour, these are a few of the things he did not do. I will say that he did a botched autopsy. Your honour, this is the cause of the controversy concerning this case,” Soyemi said.

Counsel to the Oromoni family, Mr Femi Falana (SAN), however, objected to the evidence of the pathologist.

He said that Soyemi was testifying on a matter (first autopsy report) which had not been tendered before the inquest by the DPP.

“We urge the coroner to stop the move by the DPP to turn the witness to an expert in a matter that is not before the court.

The learned DPP should have tendered the first autopsy report and asked the witness to compare it with his own. It is not his duty to speak on another autopsy report,” he said.

Responding, the DPP said that the witness, an expert witness, was speaking on the state of a body which was before him prior to carrying out a postmortem.

“He owes this court a duty to explain all the issues that are relevant to the determination of this inquest.

“He needs to explain to this court the findings of the examination he carried out,” Martins said.

The Coroner, Mr Mikhail Kadiri, in a short ruling, allowed the testimony of the pathologist on the first autopsy.

He said the witness was shedding more light on the autopsy he conducted on late Oromoni particularly the state of the body of the deceased.

The coroner said that the information would aid the inquest in its fact-finding mission.

Following the ruling, Soyemi revealed his findings to the inquest. He said the late Dowen College student had lobal pneumonia (infection of the lungs) and infection of the liver.

“He also had an infection of the kidney and an infection of the right ankle, the soft tissue and the muscle covering the bone of the ankle.

“Against these findings, his death was ascribed to septicemia, lobal pneumonia with pyelonephritis (infection of the kidney) arising from the pyelonephritis of the right ankle.

“The summary of this is that he had a generalised infection,” Soyemi said.

He adjourned proceedings to Feb. 14 for the continuation of hearing.

NAN reports that it was alleged that the 12-year-old student died on Nov. 30, 2021, from injuries sustained in an attack by five senior students of Dowen College for refusing to join a cult.

It was also alleged that he was forced to drink an obnoxious substance by his attackers.

The Lagos State DPP Advice released on Jan. 4, however, disputed the allegation, stating that an autopsy conducted in Lagos revealed the real cause of his death as acute bacterial pneumonia due to severe sepsis.

(NAN)

https://thenationonlineng.net/sylvester-oromoni-first-autopsy-botched-pathologist/
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 6:01am On Feb 15, 2022
Late Sylvester Oromoni: Inquest February 14th.

Summary
1. Slyvester Oromini Senior Testified today.
2. He confirmed that he wasn't taken to the hospital because of space .

3. He stated that they had an X-ray at the lab but they didn't have a full body Xray.

4. He admitted that there were no signs of beating on his sons body when picked up from school contrary to the kind of bullying he had been saying had occured when picked from school but he claimed that this may be because the bullying may have occurred on the 14th of November as he said he was told by another student.

5. He admitted that if there was bullying other students would have heard or witnessed it.

6. He agreed to giving interviews despite the gag order and there was some drama on the permission to play the videos of some of his interviews where the claims he made on those interviews are different from his Testimony in court.

7. When asked why the autopsy showed no signs of blunt force Trauma Mr Oromoni said he is surprised.

8. Cross examination on his Testimony will be done 15th of February.
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 6:04am On Feb 15, 2022
Sylvester Oromoni: Father confirms Dowen College student was not taken to hospital

February 14, 2022

Sylvester Oromoni Jnr, the late Dowen College Student who was alleged by his family to have suffered injuries as a result of bullying by five senior students of the college was not treated at a hospital.
Sylvester Oromoni Snr, the father of late Oromoni Jnr made the revelation on Monday before an Ikeja Coroner’s Inquest while being cross-examined by the counsel to one of the accused students, Godwin Omoaka (SAN).
Mr Oromoni`s testimony confirmed a key finding of a PREMIUM TIMES investigation.
The witness told the inquest that his son was treated at home in Warri, Delta, after the Oromoni family doctor, Dr Aghogho Owhojede, said there was no private ward available in his hospital.
He gave a timeline of events from when Oromoni Jnr was brought home from school by his guardian, Clifford Tejere, on Nov. 23, 2021 from school.
He said Mr Tejere did not notice any sign of beating on the body of the deceased and that no swollen spot was noticed on the ankle of the late student, where it was alleged by the school that he had sustained a football injury.
The witness noted that a full body x-ray was not conducted by the family when he came home from school.
“There was an x-ray conducted on the part the school wanted us to do, which was the legs down. He was taken to a diagnostic centre,” Mr Oromoni Snr said.
The father of the deceased revealed that his son was not taken to the hospital on Nov. 24, 2021 by the family and that he arrived Lagos from Delta at 6.00 p.m. on Nov. 25, 2021 after he was alerted by his family that his son was in a critical state.

He revealed that after he arrived Lagos, he took his son back to Dowen College, arriving at the school at 7. 00 p.m. to pack his belongings.

He said on Nov. 26, 2021, he left for Warri, Delta, with his son and arrived in the evening and that Oromoni Jnr was not taken to the hospital on that day.

He said on Nov. 26, 2021, he left for Warri, Delta, with his son and arrived in the evening and that Oromoni Jnr was not taken to the hospital on that day.
“On Nov. 26, 27 and 28 2021, he was treated in my house on doctor’s directives.
“On Nov. 29, he was taken to St Louis Laboratory for a scan. We were referred by the doctor to go there.
“I was not there on that day because I had rushed to my house in Asaba, Delta to pick up something and I came back the next morning, which is Nov. 30, 2021.
“He died on Nov. 30, 2021; I was already in Warri when he died. I was in the hospital when the doctor confirmed to us that he did not make it,” he said.

The witness further revealed that after Oromoni Jnr was confirmed dead, the family wanted to bury him immediately.
“From the clinic, they were taking him for burial. I called them and they brought him back in the Hilux that they were using to convey him and they parked in front of my gate.

“The police came and took pictures and videos of the body and after that they asked me to take him to the mortuary and not bury him,” he said.
Following the revelation of the witness, Mr Omoaka requested that a series of interviews Oromoni Snr had granted to the press (Arise TV, the Punch Newspapers and BBC Pidgin) be played at the inquest.
In the various footage, the witness was alleging that his son was dragged, severely beaten, his stomach stumped upon by some senior students of the school.
Responding to more questions, Mr Oromoni Snr revealed that he had never been to his son’s hostel at Dowen College.
He, however, accepted that other students would have heard his son cry out if he was being beaten by alleged bullies.
The Coroner, Mikhail Kadiri, adjourned proceedings until Feb. 15 for continuation of the cross-examination.

NAN reports that it was alleged that the 12-year-old Oromoni died on Nov. 30, 2021 from injuries sustained in an attack by five senior students of Dowen College for allegedly refusing to join a cult.
It was also alleged that he was forced to drink an obnoxious substance by his attackers.
The Lagos State Director of Public Prosecution Advice released on Jan. 4 disputed the allegation stating that two autopsies revealed the cause of Oromoni’s death as acute bacterial pneumonia due to severe sepsis.
(NAN)
https:https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/511616-sylvester-oromoni-father-confirms-dowen-college-student-was-not-taken-to-hospital.html
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 2:50am On Feb 23, 2022
Apologies for not sharing updates I have been on transit

Coroners Inquest 15th February 2022

Slyvester Oromini Snr continued his Testimony today.

1. He alleged a massive cover up by the Lagos State Police and DPP.

2. He claims the reason for his suspicion is because the Police got an order to hold them for 21 days but only kept the suspects for 14 days but when he approached the CP he claimed the CP told him they were not done with investigation and was surprised to see the CP giving a press conference 2 days later.

3. Asked if he understands the Criminal Justice system as it applies to Minors he said No.

4. He confirmed that a scan from the 29th showed no substance in Sylvester's stomach but when asked if thinks the black substance seen during the autopsy could have come after the 29th when the had a scan he said he didn't think so.

5. He claimed his son was taken for only an hour deliverance session in church
6. Asked if his son mentioned being forced to join a cult he said No.

6. He stated that the videos they took was in anticipation for his survival so they can hold a thanksgiving in church.

7. The Magistrate has issued an order to invite the Nurse at Dowen College, the Delta Pathologist ( should be interesting)his Dorm mates and classmates.

8. The Inquest continues on Monday the 21st
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 2:51am On Feb 23, 2022
Slyvester Oromini Inquest 21st February 2022

1. A Police Officer who handled the case testified today.
2. He confirmed that the 5 accused suspects were released before the remand order expired, that the students lawyers had sort bail and recieved it before the expiration of the order.
3. He stated that one of the suspects had in 2019 had been reported and reprimanded by the school for bullying.
4. That a mother had previously reported another case of bullying ( not by any of the suspects at Makoko Police station) in the same school.
5. However the Police Officer said there was no evidence to substantiate the current case of bullying and poisoning against the late Sylvester.
6. Most of the allegations he was said to have reported from the family could not be subtiantiated by evidence however he stated that the housemasters were negligent in handling reports to them.
7. Cross examination tomorrow
Link below
Re: Sylvester Oromoni Coroner Inquest Daily Update by Eketem: 2:52am On Feb 23, 2022
Slyvester Oromini Inquest 22nd February 2022:

1. The cross-examination of the Police Officer from Yesterday continued today and the Doctor at Dowen who was the saw him the second day also testified, a nurse saw him the first day.

2. The Officer said that 7 students were invited to testify roommates of Slyvester and 3 from Adjourning rooms but the parents of the 3 said their children were facing trauma and didn't release them.

3. He said the 4 roommates who testified all said they saw him fall playing ball and none witnessed any bullying.

4. The Doctor said he complained of a hip injury not an ankle injury and she massaged the part he said was hurting.

5. She said the parents were informed and a guardian was sent to pick him. She stated that his condition at that point was not an emergency else with the parents consent they would have taken him to their partner Lifeline Children’s Hospital.

6. She said she resumed on the 22nd while a Nurse treated him on the 21st the first day he was brought in

7. She said there was no scalding on his lips when she attended to him.

8. Inquest continues next Monday the 28th of February.

Link below.

(1) (2) (Reply)

20s And 30s For The Sophisticated Man / Morison Season's Cash Giveaway Promo Is Here!!! / Home Coaching Jss3 Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.