Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him (3858 Views)

After Saving Governors From Embarrassment, Buhari Gets Betrayed - Bashir Ahmad / Buhari Gets Rousing Reception In Lagos - Dele Momodu Mocks Buhari, APC (Video) / Dele Momodu Dumps President Buhari, Gets Atikulated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Shehuyinka: 10:42am On Feb 01, 2022
NIGERIAN President Muhammadu Buhari has a sixth opportunity to implement electoral reforms in the country after the National Assembly transmitted the amended Electoral Act Amendment Bill to him for assent into law.

The National Assembly transmitted the bill to Buhari on January 31, according to a statement signed by Senior Special Adviser to the President on National Assembly Matters Babajide Omoworare.

Transmission of the bill to the president by the National Assembly was in line with provisions of Section 58 (3) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) and the Acts Authentication Act Cap. A2 LFN 2004.

From the date of transmission, Buhari has 30 days to sign the bill into law, and in the event that he again refuses to do so, he will write the National Assembly to explain his reasons for withholding assent.

If Buhari again refuses to assent to the bill, the National Assembly can decide to override the presidential veto and pass the bill into law with two-thirds majority vote in the Senate and the House of Representatives.

The lawmakers failed to heed calls from Nigerians to override the president when Buhari refused to sign the electoral bill in December 2021.

Buhari said a clause which mandated political parties to adopt the direct primary model for election of candidates for elective positions was the reason he refused to sign the bill into law.

- Advertisement -
Forcing political parties to adopt direct primaries “violates the spirit of democracy,” Buhari said.

According to him, direct primaries would hike the cost of elections and place huge financial burden on political parties and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

He also argued that compulsory adoption of direct primaries violated the rights of the political parties to decide the model through which they wish to elect their flagbearers especially as many parties already have constitutions which provide for different methods of primary elections.

Buhari also pointed to security implications of holding direct primaries in parts of the country as one of the factors that informed his refusal to assent to the bill.

To address Buhari’s concerns, the National Assembly upon resumption after its Yuletide recess moved quickly to amend the bill.

On January 25, the National Assembly passed the amended electoral bill which provided political parties with three models of primary elections – direct, indirect and consensus.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/electoral-reform-buhari-gets-6th-chance-as-national-assembly-transmits-amended-bill/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Boogyman557: 10:44am On Feb 01, 2022
Holly Gram cool

LITE UP my WEED in peace..

WTF MAN
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Ezedon(m): 12:06pm On Feb 01, 2022
This Country is a scam

1 Like

Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by NwaNimo1(m): 12:07pm On Feb 01, 2022
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by dynicks(m): 12:07pm On Feb 01, 2022
How the bill was repackaged, sent and dropped on the president's table for him to sign!!

Oga na the bill be this!!...sign'am oga!!

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Bobloco: 12:07pm On Feb 01, 2022
He will sign it this time around, he got no choice
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by djflexcy: 12:07pm On Feb 01, 2022
Just ranting, they won't /can't do nada. Rubber stamp senators
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Muyiwaipere(m): 12:07pm On Feb 01, 2022
Rubber stamp senators and reps
Toothless Bulldogs

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Kingpele(m): 12:08pm On Feb 01, 2022
shocked
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Kingpele(m): 12:08pm On Feb 01, 2022
shocked nawa for this people, I don't know what this people are doing in national Assembly, they are almost 600members but they couldn't see that is undemocratic to dictate to parties how to conduct their internal elections, this people self
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by FacelessKing: 12:08pm On Feb 01, 2022
Boogyman557:
Holly Gram cool

WTF MAN

Mynd44 rule 1

He’s loitering every thread with this same nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Amspecial: 12:10pm On Feb 01, 2022
grin
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 01, 2022
Indirect primaries is a way of imposing his candidacy on the primaries by the incumbent governors and president.If the reason he gave was to reduce cost,why did the national assembly increase the cost of aspirants forms in the electoral amendment Bill?
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by King44(m): 12:12pm On Feb 01, 2022
Shehuyinka:

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/electoral-reform-buhari-gets-6th-chance-as-national-assembly-transmits-amended-bill/
an Bihari dey check them no be them dey check Bihari, he won't sign, and nothing would happen.
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by wizod(m): 12:13pm On Feb 01, 2022
Boogyman557:
[s]Holly Gram cool

WTF MAN[/s]
How will a reasonable human being think you are sane after reading this trash u posted here?
Weed kee u dia
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by ButterBurger: 12:13pm On Feb 01, 2022
That's not a national assembly.
It's a national assumption.

The majority are representing the president instead of their people.
The minority are representing themselves instead of the people
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by GardenOfGod(m): 12:16pm On Feb 01, 2022
Nigeria is not practicing true democracy if not Bubu would have been impeached.
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by anigbajumo(m): 12:18pm On Feb 01, 2022
Revolution2022:
Indirect primaries is a way of imposing his candidacy on the primaries by the incumbent governors and president.If the reason he gave was to reduce cost,why did the national assembly increase the cost of aspirants forms in the electoral amendment Bill?

Lol, whatever way Governor will always have their way. See wat happened in Ekiti how Gov fayemi influenced the Direct primary.
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Boogyman557: 12:19pm On Feb 01, 2022
wizod:

How will a reasonable human being think you are sane after reading this trash u posted here?
Weed kee u dia
Holly Gram cool MY G.. waiting I do naa...

abi make I no LITE UP my WEED in peace again..

U no sey CUNTREE don CAST big time..

anyways I just de COME back from ASHAWOO house now...

MY G... no b small NACKING ooooo..

D ASHAWOO wey I NACK, her BOBZ STAND WELL WELL

I just sey make I COME back house to shower and LITE UP more WEED..

although I FIT STILL JAZZ in d ASHAWOO house dis evening.. bcus I tell her sey I FIT show back..

D PLACE no 2 far from my unite.

WTF MAN
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Balkan(m): 12:19pm On Feb 01, 2022
One man is taking the national assembly for a ride.
The national assembly are just puppets

1 Like

Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by fasho01(m): 12:38pm On Feb 01, 2022
If you like give him 100 chances, he will never get it right
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by ufotunang: 12:39pm On Feb 01, 2022
Rubber stamp national assembly
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by Creamz(m): 12:42pm On Feb 01, 2022
He better sign that bill
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by jyz200(m): 12:55pm On Feb 01, 2022
He won’t still sign it
Light up my ganja
People who don’t smoke ( I mean weed not that cigar o) nor drink how do you survive
Something must ginger man sha
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by LibertyRep: 1:06pm On Feb 01, 2022
He's lucky to have lots of opportunities to write his name on the sand of time.

He has bungled some , hope he grabs this present one with his two hands for posterity sake.
Re: Electoral Reform: Buhari Gets 6th Chance As National Assembly Sends Bill To Him by tnerro1(m): 2:52pm On Feb 01, 2022
jyz200:
He won’t still sign it
Light up my ganja
People who don’t smoke ( I mean weed not that cigar o) nor drink how do you survive
Something must ginger man sha

We like women especially the yellow ones grin

(1) (Reply)

Nobody Wants To Confront The Truth: Britain Is Becoming A Poor Country / This Single OBJECT Can End Corruption In Nigeria FOREVER / African First Ladies In Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.