Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,211 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate (8070 Views)

Hijab: Lagos State Government Released Circular To enforce Court Judgement / Anambra Commences On Air Teaching Of Pupils, Students Today On ABS Radio 88.5FM / Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Cosbyrich: 7:48am On Feb 02, 2022
jaxxy:

How? The civil war will not be thought in details just a mention.
I meant the killing of 22 people from other regions leaving theirs by the Nzeogwu coup plotters..
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Toktee(m): 8:03am On Feb 02, 2022
Eastlink:
Irrelevant. History was never stopped before. It was simply made an elective course just like Fine arts due to the low turnout of students during WAEC/NECO. People should verify before they argue ignorantly. The federal government even tried phasing out CRK/IRK into a combined Moral instruction course and if not for the outcry of over-religious Nigerians both courses would have become a thing of the past by now.
You are not serious.
Under arts in secondary school History was compulsory..... Don't forget as far back as 80s and late 90s History was compulsory in secondary schools Nation wide until the advent of this useless system of gvt called Democracy.

I don't know when you were born shall....

1 Like

Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by RandyOku: 8:17am On Feb 02, 2022
SlyDev:
Yoruba will then know their true enemy, this news sweet me

I swear!!!!

A WHOLE COUNTRY'S history not taught...Very ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by rolams(m): 8:20am On Feb 02, 2022
We studied history in secondary school during my secondary school days.
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Toktee(m): 8:25am On Feb 02, 2022
do4luv14:

Can one get PDF copy of that history, I knew of what you said, but in a little portion, and textbooks those days had been made in such a way, that history had been removed from them,

not like those we read from primary to secondary when growing up,
My brother, what he said is nothing but the truth.

As a student of History/international studies. History made me to understand that he (Dan folio) was a warlord and Islamic teacher who's ambition was to islamise what is today Nigeria.

Ask yourself this question.... Why the attacks on Christians is concentrated in the middle belt of the country?

The terrorist known as Othman Dan fodio captured the entire Hausa land replaced hausa leaders with Fulanis...this happened in 1804.

Today hausa are in charge of administration in Kwara state eg Saraki family, in Niger state Etsu Nupe is a Fulani man, etc.
Now the reason for the killings in the Middle belt or Central Nigeria is partly because of the resistance and refusal of some tribes to accept Islam eg the people of kataf in southern Kaduna, plateau state, jukum people of taraba state, Tiv people of Benue state.... It is said that the man Othman Dan fodio was killed in USHONGU HILLS in present during Benue state but the caliphate twist the facts, before his death his followers vowed to complete what he started and that's to make sure the middle belt region is captured and Islamised.

Today you can never hear anything like emir of gboko or otukpo, jos nor southern Kaduna etc.

The facts about Nigeria as enshrined in Nigeria's history is very bitter.
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Kfed4ril(m): 9:00am On Feb 02, 2022
Heterodox:
Omoh, Nairaland is toxic.

Too much hatred among folks who haven't met before. Tribalism.

Someone will stand up with his flat-head and start saying "we...", like they represent a whole tribe.

You’re what you’re trying to condemn
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Heterodox(m): 9:11am On Feb 02, 2022
Kfed4ril:

You’re what you’re trying to condemn
How sir?
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Nicepoker(m): 9:12am On Feb 02, 2022
Eastlink:
Irrelevant. History was never stopped before. It was simply made an elective course just like Fine arts due to the low turnout of students during WAEC/NECO. People should verify before they argue ignorantly. The federal government even tried phasing out CRK/IRK into a combined Moral instruction course and if not for the outcry of over-religious Nigerians both courses would have become a thing of the past by now.
history should be offered by both science and arts students. Its very important.
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by panpan(m): 9:15am On Feb 02, 2022
Secondary and tertiary institutions should determine their curriculum.

The federal government should do away with making subjects compulsory as much as possible. Let the students and their schools be able to choose their subjects. Compulsory subjects in secondary schools should be limited to English Language, Mathematics and one science subject.
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by do4luv14(m): 9:41am On Feb 02, 2022
Toktee:
My brother, what he said is nothing but the truth.

As a student of History/international studies. History made me to understand that he (Dan folio) was a warlord and Islamic teacher who's ambition was to islamise what is today Nigeria.

Ask yourself this question.... Why the attacks on Christians is concentrated in the middle belt of the country?

The terrorist known as Othman Dan fodio captured the entire Hausa land replaced hausa leaders with Fulanis...this happened in 1804.

Today hausa are in charge of administration in Kwara state eg Saraki family, in Niger state Etsu Nupe is a Fulani man, etc.
Now the reason for the killings in the Middle belt or Central Nigeria is partly because of the resistance and refusal of some tribes to accept Islam eg the people of kataf in southern Kaduna, plateau state, jukum people of taraba state, Tiv people of Benue state.... It is said that the man Othman Dan fodio was killed in USHONGU HILLS in present during Benue state but the caliphate twist the facts, before his death his followers vowed to complete what he started and that's to make sure the middle belt region is captured and Islamised.

Today you can never hear anything like emir of gboko or otukpo, jos nor southern Kaduna etc.

The facts about Nigeria as enshrined in Nigeria's history is very bitter.

bros you don't get it, am not disputing his claims, what am saying is that the thinnest form of history that we usually read in primary schools then, I mean in the latest 80s, and early 90s, had been removed from circulation,

Like jaja of Opobo, Nana of Itsekiri, Queen Aminat, including Mai Alaoma of Borno, those had been removed,

those little bits is what most of us used in starting to rest history, getting to secondary school, it was not a compulsory subject, as its mainly an Art subject in SSS class, so many that had pick interest in it way back, lost same interest, including me,

If not for a chance sighting of an history book, belonging to a Art student, I would not had traced my roots to the Old Benin Kingdom,

if anything, HISTORY, should be made a compulsory subject like biology,
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by do4luv14(m): 9:43am On Feb 02, 2022
panpan:
Secondary and tertiary institutions should determine their curriculum.

The federal government should do away with making subjects compulsory as much as possible. Let the students and their schools be able to choose their subjects. Compulsory subjects in secondary schools should be reduced to just English Language, Mathematics and one science subject.

I disagree on the compulsory subject in secondary schools, rather History should be one of them

1 Like

Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by shantti(m): 9:46am On Feb 02, 2022
Penguin2:
They will kill the bill.

If History was taught in schools, I’m sure Tinubu urchins wouldn’t have voted for Buhari in 2015 because they would known his history.

I had the opportunity to study History during my Secondary School days because I attended a Catholic private school which didn’t give a fork about Nigeria’s stupidity.

It was where I learned about Usman Danfodio being an itinerant preacher from Futa Jalon; and that before Danfodio’s Jihad, Hausas were ruled by Sarkins which Danfodio replaced with Emirs.

Many more I can’t mention here.

One day, all Emirs in the north will be deposed and northerners will only be ruled by Sarkins who must true Hausas and no Fulani shall ever climb the stool.

Wow. I attended a seminary school and we were immersed in history, the same thing with every other subject. They employed experts as teachers and pay them well. I like the way the church organize her school curriculum without giving a shit about the government.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Sheriman(m): 9:59am On Feb 02, 2022
I support it!! But it must be NIGERIA history all the curriculum and scheme of work must be Nigeria history. I will not support introducing of European or Arab history in that curriculum.
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by cosmatika(m): 10:00am On Feb 02, 2022
Nyanmiridunce:
Nigerians won't also forget the people that greedily took over govt via coup in 1966.
No they shouldn't. They should always remember that Kaduna Nzeogwu is a Delta state man born and bred in Kaduna state.
If you do not know that one, then u re a dunce
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by seyz91(m): 10:30am On Feb 02, 2022
Who history epp? undecided

History of our looters and reason the country is in a mess till now undecided

Time wasters

Make dem introduce bill to abolish nigeria Educational system cuz na fraud to me

Producing bunch of graduates yearly and doin nonsense Nysc in batches with nothing to show for it while going into unemployed labour market

Useless lots

Make dem turn all institutions to Technical school and be doing practical and skill acquisition all through

We tired of recycling dog shits everytime undecided
NwaNimo1:
Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Secondary, Tertiary Schools Introduced In Senate

https://www.channelstv.com/2022/02/01/bill-to-enforce-teaching-of-history-in-secondary-tertiary-schools-introduced-in-senate/

Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by nnamdi640: 10:46am On Feb 02, 2022
History is important in our lives, but for now that bill is not necessary because we have alot of things that is needed to be fixed
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Bashir75: 12:05pm On Feb 02, 2022
SlyDev:
Yoruba will then know their true enemy, this news sweet me

[b]RIGHTLY SAID. WE WILL KNOW HOW THE IGBOS CAUSES ALL NIGERIA PROBLEMS FORM INCEPTION.

THEY WANT TO MANIPULATE AND USED POWER TO SUBDUE OTHER REGIONS.

[b]THEY INTRODUCED COUPS AND MUTINY TO NIGERIA LEXICONS.

KILLED OTHER REGIONAL LEADERS AND PROTECT THEIR OWN.

THEY LOOKED FOR THE REGION THAT’S PERCEIVED LESS EDUCATED TO FORMED GOVERNMENT WITH SO THEY CAN BE IN ABSOLUTE POWER IN NIGERIA AND CONTROL AFRICA.

THEY WOKE THE MAJORITY HAUSA-FULANI WHO ARE LARGELY FARMERS AND PEASANTS TO POWER MONGERING.

THE IGBO ANCESTORS RAN AWAY FROM PROGRESSIVE YORUBA. THEY AGREED TO FORMED GOVERNMENT IN THE DAY WITH THE YORUBA BUT DECEITFULLY RAN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT TO FORMED GOVERNMENT WITH THEIR PERCEIVED LESS EDUCATED HAUSA/FULANI AND WHO THEY PERCEIVED CONTROLLABLE.

LEARNING NIGERIA HISTORY WILL BE INCOMPLETE WITHOUT LEARNING WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE AND AFTER INDEPENDENCE. IT’S NOT ABOUT BIAFRA. BIAFRA WAS AS A RESULT OF MISTRUST/ TREACHERY BEFORE THE NEEDLESS BIAFRA CIVIL WAR.

NIGERIA IS IN A SORRY STATE TODAY WITHOUT DIRECTION, WITHOUT PURPOSEFUL FUNCTIONAL CONSTITUTION BECAUSE OF THE PAST TREACHERY. IT WILL BE A GOOD TIME TO NOT SUGAR COAT AND LEARN HOW THE PAST DICTATES OUR PRESENT AND IGBO TRIBE IS AT THE CENTER OF IT ALL. THAT’S WHY I DON’T HAVE EMPATHY FOR THEM WHEN THEY CRY. YOU CANNOT CONTINUE TO CHEAT ON YOUR SPOUSE AND AT THE SAME TIME DEMANDS LOVE & LOYALTY FROM HIM.[/b][/b]

1 Like

Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Penguin2: 1:06pm On Feb 02, 2022
jacoik:
I also asked if the teacher will teach the kids how Nigeria/Biafra war was fought and what caused it, how Sunday igboho house was invaded

When things set right in Nigeria, those things will be included in the updated History curriculum; including EndSARS.

Nigeria will not remain in the dark forever.
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Penguin2: 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2022
barcaboi:

Obviously a lie; what year did you learn history? Do tell. I went to a Catholic school and all schools follow the federal syllabus

I studied History between 2007 and 2010 and wrote my waec in 2010.

How old were you then?
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Penguin2: 1:16pm On Feb 02, 2022
do4luv14:

Can one get PDF copy of that history, I knew of what you said, but in a little portion, and textbooks those days had been made in such a way, that history had been removed from them,

not like those we read from primary to secondary when growing up,

I had access to some History textbooks then around 2007-2010 but I didn’t own them and I can’t really remember their names.

Maybe you can walk into a book store and know if they’d have any text on history but I doubt.
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Penguin2: 1:22pm On Feb 02, 2022
shantti:

Wow. I attended a seminary school and we were immersed in history, the same thing with every other subject. They employed experts as teachers and pay them well. I like the way the church organize her school curriculum without giving a shit about the government.

God bless the Holy Mother Church.

But why did you not become a priest?
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by zoedew: 1:55pm On Feb 02, 2022
Finally.
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by LogicBomb8: 2:39pm On Feb 02, 2022
Whats the need trying to hide it at the first place. Thats why its gaing more awareness allow every one to knw their root
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Blue3k(m): 2:44pm On Feb 02, 2022
LogicBomb8:
Whats the need trying to hide it at the first place.
Thats why its gaing more awareness allow every one to knw their root

Why didn't your state make it mandatory? The federal government never banned history courses.
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by shantti(m): 3:21pm On Feb 02, 2022
Penguin2:

God bless the Holy Mother Church.

But why did you not become a priest?

I never had the intention of being a priest. My mother enrolled me into the seminary school because my stubbornness was getting out of hand. Thank God I turned out well if not I would have been a riff raff in the street
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Penguin2: 3:34pm On Feb 02, 2022
shantti:

I never had the intention of being a priest. My mother enrolled me into the seminary school because my stubbornness was getting out of hand. Thank God I turned out well if not I would have been a riff raff in the street
grin grin grin

No one passes through a Catholic school and remains the same except the priest didn’t receive his formation very well.

Good to see you here bro.

And good to see we both suckled the breast of the Holy Mother Church.
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by Fumo: 3:35pm On Feb 02, 2022
barcaboi:

Obviously a lie; what year did you learn history? Do tell. I went to a Catholic school and all schools follow the federal syllabus
It is still taught till date. I teach history in a Catholic secondary school

1 Like

Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by merits(m): 3:37pm On Feb 02, 2022
NwaNimo1:
Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Secondary, Tertiary Schools Introduced In Senate

https://www.channelstv.com/2022/02/01/bill-to-enforce-teaching-of-history-in-secondary-tertiary-schools-introduced-in-senate/
Seconded shocked shocked
Re: Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate by shantti(m): 3:56pm On Feb 02, 2022
Penguin2:

grin grin grin

No one passes through a Catholic school and remains the same except the priest didn’t receive his formation very well.

Good to see you here bro.

And good to see we both suckled the breast of the Holy Mother Church.

Good to see u too bro

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

G.c.e A'level And G.c.e O'level / If A Dog Attacks You Don't Run, Do Any Of These 6 Things To Save Yourself / Does FUNAAB Accept Two Sittings Of O-level Results?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.