Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria (1690 Views)

Little Girl Practices Hair Plaiting With Her Dad's Hairless Scalp (Pix, Video) / Is There A Boundary To Sexual Practices In Marriages? / Horrible Video Of Half Man Half Tree,see Why Trees Grow On His Body-See video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 5:09pm On Feb 02, 2022
Honestly, they're some horrible traditions governoring marriages in some tribe in Nigeria. Before you get married to anyone from a different tribe, it's adviceable to learn more of his/her cultural believe.
Although some people might not tell you in details, so you don't get scared and walk away, but try as much as you can to know.

I heard some part of Kogi state, when a woman cheat on her husband, she dies, but if she tells her husband and the man refuse to send her back to the village, the man dies.

I also heard, In some culture, (in South-south) when a man dies and the woman is accused of murder, she will be made to carry her husband's corpse round the market 3 times. I don't know the particular tribe though and I don't how true.

I heard an hausa Moslem can verbally divorce a woman and all her children, by repeating ''i divorce you'' seven times and that's all. I don't know how true

What's your view on this?

Share horrible cultural practices you've heard or seen with us.

Igbo, Yoruba, hausa, Akwa ibom, edo, Delta and many others. Share with us
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by donbachi(m): 5:13pm On Feb 02, 2022
Somewhere in rivers state.
Leg no go touch wall or ground during sexual intercourse.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 5:15pm On Feb 02, 2022
donbachi:
Somewhere in rivers state.
Leg no go touch wall or ground during sexual intercourse.
Jeez. If it does, what happened?
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by donbachi(m): 5:16pm On Feb 02, 2022
Darlingme:
Jeez. If it does, what happened?
death

1 Like

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 5:20pm On Feb 02, 2022
donbachi:
death
Ha. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by donbachi(m): 5:22pm On Feb 02, 2022
Darlingme:
Ha. Thanks for sharing.
Name of the place is called ndele in emuoha local govt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by illicit(m): 5:24pm On Feb 02, 2022
In Yoruba land

Nobody sleeps with an obas wife....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 5:25pm On Feb 02, 2022
donbachi:
Name of the place is called ndele in emuoha local govt.
Wao. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 5:25pm On Feb 02, 2022
illicit:
In Yoruba land

Nobody sleeps with an obas wife....

But I think it's wash
And if anyone do, what happen?
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Lajerop: 5:31pm On Feb 02, 2022
Odiegwu

1 Like

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by illicit(m): 5:32pm On Feb 02, 2022
Darlingme:
And if anyone do, what happen?

They will kill the person if they find out

But it's no longer applicable....

In those days, no man must even marry any woman divorced by a king

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 6:32pm On Feb 02, 2022
illicit:

Wao

1 Like

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 9:50pm On Feb 02, 2022
Share your views, let's keep learning
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by LilMissFavvy(f): 9:57pm On Feb 02, 2022
Interesting topic shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by begoniaa: 11:25pm On Feb 02, 2022
illicit:

What's the reason behind this?
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by illicit(m): 4:30am On Feb 03, 2022
begoniaa:

What's the reason behind this?

Maybe so as to preserve the status of the king.

He must be feared

Even widows are not allowed to leave the palace, another king inherits them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Sonnobax15(m): 7:40am On Feb 03, 2022
lipsrsealed
Here in my tribe, urhobo and isoko,once a married Woman sleeps with another man apart from her husband,the husband's ancestors and hers' will attack her spiritually......If the husband is aware of his wife's atrocities but chose to keep it a secret,he and his kids won't be exempted from the repercussions.... Especially if the Woman cook meal for the family with the money she gets from the other man...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by faithfull18(f): 8:03am On Feb 03, 2022
True.

1 Like

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by descarado: 8:10am On Feb 03, 2022
In igboland before, if you are suspected of killing your husband the corpse will be washed and you will be made to drink the water.

This is the most wicked and cruel of all of them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 8:29am On Feb 03, 2022
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Here in my tribe, urhobo and isoko,once a married Woman sleeps with another man apart from her husband,the husband's ancestors and hers' will attack her spiritually......If the husband is aware of his wife's atrocities but chose to keep it a secret,he and his kids won't be exempted from the repercussions.... Especially if the Woman cook meal for the family with the money she gets from the other man...
Jeez. Almost the same with that of some part of igala people of Kogi state. Just that in their own case, the woman, dies immediately if she keep it a secret
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 8:30am On Feb 03, 2022
descarado:
In igboland before, if you are suspected of killing your husband the corpse will be washed and you will be made to drink the water.

This is the most wicked and cruel of all of them.

Ha. Drink the water? Kind of diabolic
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:42am On Feb 03, 2022
Darlingme:
Honestly, they're some horrible traditions governoring marriages in some tribe in Nigeria. Before you get married to anyone from a different tribe, it's adviceable to learn more of his/her cultural believe.
Although some people might not tell you in details, so you don't get scared and walk away, but try as much as you can to know.

I heard some part of Kogi state, when a woman cheat on her husband, she dies, but if she tells her husband and the man refuse to send her back to the village, the man dies.

I also heard, In some culture, (in South-south) when a man dies and the woman is accused of murder, she will be made to carry her husband's corpse round the market 3 times. I don't know the particular tribe though and I don't how true.

I heard an hausa Moslem can verbally divorce a woman and all her children, by repeating ''i divorce you'' seven times and that's all. I don't know how true

What's your view on this?

Share horrible cultural practices you've heard or seen with us.

Igbo, Yoruba, hausa, Akwa ibom, edo, Delta and many others. Share with us
correction on that Hausa Moslem divorce procedure ,it is not 7 times,rather its 3 Times it's an Islamic rule not just Hausa,also the children are not divorced with the wife,they still belong to the father ,but if they're small they can be with the mother while the father takes care of their financial needs
If the mother is breast feeding any of the children the father will have to pay her for the bread feeding separately from other financial needs other children unless the mother wish to do it free of charge .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 8:45am On Feb 03, 2022
jackslow:
correction on that Hausa Moslem divorce procedure ,it is not 7 times,rather its 3 Times it's an Islamic rule not just Hausa,also the children are not divorced with the wife,they still belong to the father ,but if they're small they can be with the mother while the father takes care of their financial needs
If the mother is breast feeding any of the children the father will have to pay her for the bread feeding separately from other financial needs other children unless the mother wish to do it free of charge .
Alright. Thanks for the corrections
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by world123: 4:32pm On Feb 03, 2022
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:57pm On Feb 03, 2022
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Here in my tribe, urhobo and isoko, once a married Woman sleeps with another man apart from her husband, the husband's ancestors and hers' will attack her spiritually......If the husband is aware of his wife's atrocities but chose to keep it a secret,he and his kids won't be exempted from the repercussions.... Especially if the Woman cook meal for the family with the money she gets from the other man...
So what happened? Did the ancestral spirits get tired of tormenting their filandering descendants or are they on strike or something? What changed? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On Feb 03, 2022
Darlingme:
Jeez. Almost the same with that of some part of igala people of Kogi state. Just that in their own case, the woman, dies immediately if she keep it a secret
So what changed? How come women who commit adultery no longer die? Did the ancestral spirits get tired of killing them off or something? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 5:23pm On Feb 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So what changed? How come women who commit adultery no longer die? Did the ancestral spirits get tired of killing them off or something? undecided
It still happened.
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:52pm On Feb 03, 2022
Darlingme:
It still happened.
So every adulterer from Kogi state eventually meets their end by the hands of their ancestral spirit? How do you know this? undecided

1 Like

Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 6:15pm On Feb 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So every adulterer from Kogi state eventually meets their end by the hands of their ancestral spirit? How do you know this? undecided
That's what they said. Some part in igala land. Once both of them are from the same village. Not applicable to those with inter marriage. Last year, it went viral on Facebook.
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Feb 03, 2022
Darlingme:
That's what they said. Some part in igala land. Once both of them are from the same village. Not applicable to those with inter marriage. Last year, it went viral on Facebook.
So you are telling me that in a state with over 4 million people that only a handful of women married to men from the same village committed adultery last year and all of their cases went viral? undecided

You know how much more hard that is to believe, right? undecided
Re: Horrible Marriage Cultural Practices In Some Tribes In Nigeria by Darlingme(f): 10:33pm On Feb 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So you are telling me that in a state with over 4 million people that only a handful of women married to men from the same village committed adultery last year and all of their cases went viral? undecided

You know how much more hard that is to believe, right? undecided
Oga, calm down. The aim of this post is to talk about those weird practices. I don't know much. That's why I said things you heard, seen or believe.

(1) (2) (Reply)

“I Don’t Think I Need To Do DNA Again” – Nigerian Man Shares What He Observed / Where Can I Buy A Toddler Bed In Lagos/ibadan / My Friend & I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.