Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Vacation In Paris, Any Guide - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Vacation In Paris, Any Guide (4045 Views)

Tourists On Vacation In Africa See Python Inside Their Engine(video+pic) / Should I Study In Paris Or The Province? / How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by boyt1: 2:20pm On Jun 23, 2011
I am planning a 2 weeks vacation this summer in Paris. i don't know much about the city, any useful guide, eg, apartment hotels, places to visit. your suggestions are highly welcomed.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by omega25red(m): 2:59pm On Jun 23, 2011
haven't been to paris but i heard housing is pretty pricy in the city. There are lots to see from museums to the different monuments. Great food to eat and lots of good wine to drink.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by worry246(m): 3:50pm On Jun 23, 2011
Waiters in French resturaunts and cafes are the worst and most bad tempered and racist in the world.
If you can not speak fluent french they will insult you, serve the wrong thing and overcharge you.
French police will allways back up french person so do not complain!
Taxi drivers will not understand you and again overcharge .
Paris is beautifull city.
France is nice country.
Problem is it is full of French people.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by claremont(m): 3:58pm On Jun 23, 2011
@Poster: When you get to Paris, go to Fort du Nogent, which is the home of the French Foreign Legion, and tell them you want to join. They will subject you to some physical, mental, and medical tests; afterwards, you sign a 5 year contract which will earn you a French passport at the end grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by shawonlese: 4:15pm On Jun 23, 2011
For things to see and do in Paris, just see our website below. More than 5000 things to do world wide.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by boyt1: 6:05pm On Jun 23, 2011
For the purpose of clarity, i am USA Citizen, i would like a Vacation for my wife and 2 Kids. I want somewhere different from 9ja, UK and the Carribean we have been to these Places.
with my income i can afford comfortably any Location on Earth for my Vacation.
I thank the good contributions.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by shawonlese: 6:26pm On Jun 23, 2011
Boy t,

You can book any holiday you want here to anywhere. More than 5500 activities for you and your family.

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/9582?bannerImg=holiday_guests_125x125.g
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by JeSoul(f): 8:31pm On Jun 23, 2011
boy t:

I am planning a 2 weeks vacation this summer in Paris. i don't know much about the city, any useful guide, eg, apartment hotels, places to visit. your suggestions are highly welcomed.
Oh boy . . . you're going to enjoy your stay in Paris smiley.

Contrary to a few comments I found the French people extremely nice and accomodating. I was greeted by smiles and constant 'bonjours' when when walking into cafes. Restaurant service was fine as well. Even the bus drivers we encountered were very helpful and patient. The hotel? great staff! From my own experience I really have nothing bad to say about the friendliness of the French people.

-Hotel. I stayed in a hotel that was very close to the Lourve, depending on how much you're willing to spend, yes hotels can be expensive. But the location was fantastic! close to all the major city attractions and shopping spots. I think its worth paying a little more as you'll avoid the hassle and cost of getting to the main action. I can't recall street names except Strasborg St. which was pretty much smack dab center city [s]which was where one of the hotel staff directed me to get my hair done[/s] cheesy suprise! a couple good african stores there and restaurants. 

-Attractions. The Lourve of course was packed full, I suggest not going during peak hours - and please leave any bags at home! there's an express line if you don't have any bags that need to be searched. Get a free map of the musuem so you're not walking around aimlessly. Tickets if I remember were okay at about 15euros. The Eiffel tower is about an hour stroll from the lourve (very nice stroll with plenty to see along the way) and if you want to get on the elevator to go to the top be sure to wake up at a ridiculously early time to get in line cos ehn  shocked shocked you will be shocked. The longest line I've ever seen in my life and a sea of people. Plenty of concession stands for street food and hustlers trying to sell you everything so be alert.
   The stroll to the eiffel  tower takes you past fantastic attractions such as the Palace of Versailles, Champs Elysees and many others I can't recall the names now. And oh, did I mention you'll be strolling right beside the beautiful river Siene that flows right thru paris on your way to the tower? smiley

-Getting around the city. I didn't use the subways while there but I heard they are notorious for pickpockets so be careful. If you want to get the best feel for the city I suggest walking (my favorite) or taking the bus. Also there are bicycles at rent stops all over the city that you can rent to use to ride around. Simply return it at any rent stop conveniently all over the place.

-Restaurants. Smile smile smile! and you will be suprised at how nice they will treat you and accomodate you as you don't speak their language. I wasn't blown away but the cafes and pastry shops? delicious treats.

-Airport. Under no circumstances give your bags or take fare offers from those touts who attack you at the gate offering 'cheap rides'. They are crooks and will nab unsuspecting travellers. Go directly to the info desk or bus companies with stations either inside or outside the terminal. Even ask them there how much a taxi is meant to cost going to your destination so you don't get fleeced.

-Security. I never once felt scared or hesistant about walking around late night. The city (at least the center/tourist areas) felt very safe, I stayed out very late several times. Shockingly I found out at night not all that glitters is gold . . . there are a good number of homeless people who occupy some sidewalks and bank-fronts over night. Very sad sight. 

If you have any specific questions pls ask, and hopefully I can answer correctly. Or else maybe we can have someone who lives in france as an expert witness come in soon.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by oncolor: 9:33pm On Jun 23, 2011
I must say Paris is a lovely city to visit on vacation. I enjoyed my time there. Like Jesoul said walking is one of the best ways to enjoy Paris, from the Lovre to eiffel tower and numerous restaurants and shopping places, its a tourist delight. Don't forget to take one of the cruises on river seine too. Since you have kids coming along it would be worthwhile taking the train to disney land in Serris (about 45 minutes or so from Paris). The train passes through nice little cute towns, and serris is a beautiful little city too, I'm sure your kids and even you and your wife would not forget the experience.

You can take a look at the lonely planet guide on Paris for names and locations of restaurants and other things to do in and around Paris.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/france/paris/travel-tips-and-articles/1595
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by Nobody: 3:41am On Jun 24, 2011
@poster
its the number ONE tourist destination in the world so whatever you are into, they will have it for you.
just dont go in August as the city is empty and most shops closed due to the summer vacation!
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by kadman(m): 11:36am On Jun 24, 2011
@ Poster

I just got back from an Europe holiday. I spent 2 days in Paris, 1 day in Amsterdam and 4 days in Berlin.
Paris was the worst, I felt homesick (which I normally never do), and I wanted to go back home. Thank God for Amsterdam and Berlin

Paris is beautiful and easy to get around. . the problem IT'S FULL OF FRENCH PEOPLE.

Hotels are expensive. I spent 2 months finding the perfect hotel, and I still hated the one I finally found which was in Opera (Central Paris), so just look on booking.com for any hotel you can afford.
Don't worry about location, the city is small and their metro is very easy to navigate and walking around is easy, everything is always off a long street.

Don't fall for stupid tourist attractions, just go there and take pics, no need to pay hundreds of Euros to enter like I did.
Never take a taxi. I mean never . . A word is enough for the wise.

As someone said security is good, no hoodlums e.t.c I never felt scared. And if lost, ask around. . there are a lot of foreigners and expatriate who are glad to find another English speaking person. But as for the French . . I'm sorry to generalise, but they were always pretty much useless.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by iice(f): 3:13pm On Jun 24, 2011
Loool despite my frustrations with the waiters/waitresses. . .i counted it a fun experience.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jun 24, 2011
JeSoul:

-Hotel. I stayed in a hotel that was very close to the Lourve, depending on how much you're willing to spend, yes hotels can be expensive. But the location was fantastic! close to all the major city attractions and shopping spots. I think its worth paying a little more as you'll avoid the hassle and cost of getting to the main action. I can't recall street names except Strasborg St. which was pretty much smack dab center city [s]which was where one of the hotel staff directed me to get my hair done[/s] cheesy suprise! a couple good african stores there and restaurants. 

that would be STRASBOURG ST DENIS, thats where most blacks go to get their hair done or buy their hair products. whatever you need, they'll have/do it!

kadman:

Paris is beautiful and easy to get around. .  the problem IT'S FULL OF FRENCH PEOPLE.

what did you expect to see there? Mexicans? or better yet, Nigerians?!

Hotels are expensive. I spent 2 months finding the perfect hotel, and I still hated the one I finally found which was in Opera (Central Paris), so just look on booking.com for any hotel you can afford.

the problem here is that you tried to do everything on your own without asking someone local (or who knows at least) about it.
Opera is the WORST place you could have found, that's a tourist trap and you certainly wouldnt have gotten the cheapest/best deal there! you can find a great hotel around Paris for about 60€ or less. it wont be in the center of Paris but public transport is pretty fast and comfortable so there is no biggie!

Don't fall for silly tourist attractions, just go there and take pics, no need to pay hundreds of Euros to enter like I did.

i completely disagree with that statement. if someone goes to Paris simply to take pics to "claim" they were there then they best stay where they are at.

- how can you go to Paris and not even go to the LOUVRE? even if you dont like art, that's THE best Museum in the world and inside you will finds the most famous PAINTING in the world!!!!
- how can you go to Paris and not climb at the top of the Eiffel Tower to have a view of the city (or go on your knees and pop the question)? breathtaking!!!
- how can you go to Paris and not sit at one of the Champ Elysees cafes and enjoy the scenery?
- how can you go to Paris and not take a BATEAUX MOUCHES trip along the river?! man, you will see some of the best architecture in the city!!!!!
-  how can you go to Paris and NOT go to any of the great cabarets that Paris is famous for, like MOULIN ROUGE/LIDO ETC?
- if you are with kids, how can you go to Paris and not go to Eurodisney?
- how can you go to Paris and not visit the CHATEAU DE VERSAILLES?! man, come on!!!!

if your hotel is in OPERA aka one of the most congested place in Paris then you are ABSOLUTELY right!
taxi should be taken so that you can have a perspective of the city. if you only take the metro/rer then you will never see how HUGE and BEAUTIFUL the city is. . . . . . . .  so i understand why you even said the city was small. lol

As someone said security is good, no hoodlums e.t.c I never felt scared. And if lost, ask around. . there are a lot of foreigners and expatriate who are glad to find another English speaking person. But as for the French . .  I'm sorry to generalize, but they were always pretty much useless.

this is something that French are famous for, and some may find it kinda "racist" while other wont even notice it.
whether white yellow black or green, if you talk to a shop assistant in English, they may understand what you're saying but will always reply in French. one of the reason being that the language is part of the Paris attraction, lol!
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by kadman(m): 8:56pm On Jun 24, 2011
*sigh* here we go

No, I actually expected to see Somalians.
The saying Paris is beautiful, but is full of the French is a popular gag that most people know.

I checked many and they were all expensive and had bad reviews, I might as well stay in the centre of town, and just stay in one of the bad ones.

i completely disagree with that statement. if someone goes to Paris simply to take pics to "claim" they were there then they best stay where they are at.

I did almost of the things you mentioned, and paid several hundreds of Euros doing it. Was it worth my money ? NO I don't think so. We have different opinion and value for money, and I don't think it was worth mine. The tourist attractions are now tourist traps. Everything feels forced and hurried. With exception to Louvre. The are minimal tourist attractions in Berlin, and I enjoyed that the most.

It's not just from the centre, it's everywhere. I needed one one time to meet a friend appointment, and I wasn't near the centre, I was in assortment 13. But the price I was quoted, and taxi's start running from when you telephone them, not when they arrive. It's an advice I gave the poster that he doesn't need to heed.

this is something that French are famous for, and some may find it kinda "racist" while other wont even notice it.

Exactly, which is why I didn't mention the dreaded R word. I don't think they were racists (they might be). I just found them extremely unhelpful, language barrier or not. I saw an Turkish girl crying at a Metro. She was going to be late for her flight and needed advice. It's a long story,  but it's a sad comparison compared to other cities I visited.

In the long run, it's not a matter that can be argued. I did not like anything about the city except Louvre, ease of walking around and their surprisingly easy to use Metro system. Liking a city is a feeling not something that's in facts and tourists traps/attractions
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by kadman(m): 9:17pm On Jun 24, 2011
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by boyt1: 9:26pm On Jun 24, 2011
@Jesoul and Mr.brownjay , you guys are honest. infact your encouragement have just inspired me to book an
Apartment hotel near Champs Elysees , Montparnnase and Gare Saint Lazare.
For 834,00 € promo price per Week for a Furnished Apt. for the family in Paris, good bargain i guess.
thanks for the guide.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 24, 2011
kadman:

*sigh* here we go

No, I actually expected to see Somalians.
The saying Paris is beautiful, but is full of the French is a popular gag that most people know.

sorry my bad, never heard the joke!!!!

I checked many and they were all expensive and had bad reviews, I might as well stay in the centre of town, and just stay in one of the bad ones.

as i previously said, you should have asked someone who knows the place before booking an hotel in Opera expecting it to be either cheap or great. many hotel reviews are made by the hotels PR themselves, thats a no brainer.

I did almost of the things you mentioned, and paid several hundreds of Euros doing it. Was it worth my money ? NO I don't think so. We have different opinion and value for money, and I don't think it was worth mine. The tourist attractions are now tourist traps. Everything feels forced and hurried. With exception to Louvre. The are minimal tourist attractions in Berlin, and I enjoyed that the most.
bro, you were in Paris for TWO DAYS, you couldnt have expected to either SEE much or enjoy the city, reallyt?! this is THE number ONE tourist destination in the world, you would have needed at least 5days to do everything "properly", unless you wanted to run through it all. just the Louvre would take half a day if not the whole day to discover/appreciate (depending on the person)

It's not just from the centre, it's everywhere. I needed one one time to meet a friend appointment, and I wasn't near the centre, I was in assortment 13. But the price I was quoted, and taxi's start running from when you telephone them, not when they arrive. It's an advice I gave the poster that he doesn't need to heed.
then the advice you should have given anyone was to get out and hail a cab from the street rather than call them on the phone BUT to say that people should NEVER take one is rather harsh.

Exactly, which is why I didn't mention the dreaded R word. I don't think they were racists (they might be). I just found them extremely unhelpful, language barrier or not. I saw an Turkish girl crying at a Metro. She was going to be late for her flight and needed advice. It's a long story,  but it's a sad comparison compared to other cities I visited.
lol dont even get me started about people lost in cities, even when the locals are friendly and helpful some still get lost (check Tokyo)

In the long run, it's not a matter that can be argued. I did not like anything about the city except Louvre, ease of walking around and their surprisingly easy to use Metro system. Liking a city is a feeling not something that's in facts and tourists traps/attractions
you are right and i guess this were YOUR views about your experiences in Paris, fair enough.

boy t:

@Jesoul and Mr.brownjay , you guys are honest. infact your encouragement have just inspired me to book an
Apartment hotel near Champs Elysees , Montparnnase and Gare Saint Lazare.
For 834,00 € promo price per Week for a Furnished Apt. for the family in Paris, good bargain i guess.
thanks for the guide.

again, remember, renting a place dead in the center will cost way more than if it was on the outskirts (or less favorable neighborhood)

do you have the exact location of the place? the 3 locations you gave are not really close. look at it this way, if you are at the Champs Elysees Clemenceau metro stop (which is about midway down the champs Elysses street opposite the Arc de Triomphe) then Gare st Lazare is 2 metro stops going north while Montparnasse is 5 metro stops going the opposite direction.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by tanimola22: 12:32pm On Jun 26, 2011
boy t:

Hi, Let me know when you get to Paris. Check my profile for my email. I, too, am not really conversant with everywhere, but we can at least visit some nice places. I live in Paris.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by KennyG6(m): 3:28pm On Nov 28, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

whether white yellow black or green, if you talk to a shop assistant in English, they may understand what you're saying but will always reply in French. one of the reason being that the language is part of the Paris attraction, lol!
One of the things I find so annoying about Parisians.
As for hotels, I find places like La Defense nice and quiet, detached from the hustle and bustle of central paris yet only 20/30mins train journey.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 28, 2011
yes La Defense is a nice place to stay at, and much closer than you said. by RER, one stop/station and you are in the Champs Elysees (5min ride).
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by New9jabeb: 10:05pm On Nov 28, 2011
also read Here http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187147-i14-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Used the forum to plan our trip and it was easy. My hubby was shocked about how much I knew so much about Paris. And no need for taxis use the metro and the buses. First few days use buses and u can buy a carnet will give u ten tickets that u can use each for about 3 hours on buses.

Also you can give your kids assignments if they are in teens or even younger to plan each day on what they want to do etc and they will enjoy being your guide for a particular day.

Do Day trips out of Paris and Paris walks.

Get tickets online for the effiel tower to avoid the long ques. Avoid hotel breakfast if you can even if money is not issue you will get fresher and more variety in the bakeries and brasserie. Personally I love 5 star hotels but next time will do apartments especially with kids.

And make sure your ATM card is chip and 4 digit pin

Beware of scammers just shake your head and move on.
Re: Vacation In Paris, Any Guide by fdsjumbo: 12:10am On Apr 23, 2016
there is an association in place now to help Nigerians comming to Paris for vacation,they take care of your visit from the airport till you return

(1) (Reply)

SA To Resume Zim Deportations / 11 Most Introverted Countries In The World / West And Nourth African Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.