Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,586 members, 7,816,443 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

Masters (pg) Or Job Offer; Your Inpute Needed - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters (pg) Or Job Offer; Your Inpute Needed (459 Views)

Job Of 130k On The Mainland Or Job Of 330k On The Island (please Advise Me) / Is Medical Sales Rep A Good Career Or Job? / Obinna Ukwuani Returns To Nigeria After Turning Down Job Offer In USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Masters (pg) Or Job Offer; Your Inpute Needed by Aeoner4: 6:19am On Feb 07, 2022
INDECISION - PG OR JOB

Hello Nairalanders. Hope the day's been good to you.

I don't know if this is the right section to post this but I'm hoping the mods move it to the right place if need be, because diverse opinions are welcomed and I'll simply ignore irrelevant and rude comments. You know, Nairaland and its bad side.

ABOUT ME

I graduated with a degree in STEM, from one of the federal universities in South South years back; one of four children. I'm introverted, simple, average looking and and tend to analyse things before taking a decision. And when I seem to be dilly-dallying , I consult with my folks and friends hence this post.

PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE

I have a habit. A bad and dangerous one. I get to envision things that needed to be done and most times urgently too, and can't seem to see them through. This has been a recurring issue and I hate myself for it.

A year ago, after much coercion from my Dad because of indecision, I reluctantly got a PG form. But you know, writing a project proposal became a burden. I have all the resources. Steady supply of power, data, a conducive environment and a laptop that's been consistently helpful since 2014. Well, I didn't get to finish my proposal and registration and processing ended. Names were shortlisted afterwards and of course, my dad, with a call to his professor-friend in the university, ask that I check if I was shortlisted.

I wasn't. Because I couldn't finish processing my application. The admissions criteria wasn't as tedious as years back. Process your application, write your project proposal, submit. Done. No exams, no interview. Nada! I missed it.

WHAT I DO

After graduation, I prayed to be mobilised to one of the Eastern States. And specifically, Anambra. I had the believe that I will be posted to one of the STEM companies and that would likely KICK off my career in my field. I wasn't so lucky and as you know, most of their Corp members are posted to schools. And you wonder why their students perform very well in WAEC!?

After serving in a rural school, with accommodation needing restoration by us (Corpers), money saved during service was flushed down the drain buying a phone (then it was an expensive one) and MMM - God bless Manrovi. Indecision and bad decision.

With not much going on in the state, I had to help design my Dad's two storey building. It was an experience supervising the project from start to finish. Including hiring of labour and choice of tiles.

Later, I applied to teach physics and that I have been doing (and good at too) till date.

APPLICATIONS FOR JOBS

Like I said, the state isn't doing much in terms of job opportunities and the ones available don't pay well. Teaching jobs and most especially private schools, don't pay much. Getting to teach in a school that pays during the holiday is a plus. It's that bad.

I've been saving up for some rainy days mostly because I manage a place (pays weekly) and stays in a family house and I support in ways that I can.

I cannot count how many job applications I have filed for the past years. At a point I got tired and stopped applying.

An acquaintance even forwarded my name to RSM, NBL. Was hopefully waiting for a call up for a test and probably training and employment. Atleast they (their marketers) seem to be paid well. Nothing good came out. Also privately forwarded my CV to a HR of a bank by recommendation of the same acquaintance. Nope didn't work out as well. But the HR was courteous enough to reply with that official "Sorry, your qualifications do not match our requirements for the job... Blah blah"
I mean why do they stipulate an age bracket for a job ad anyway?

I believe myself to be suitable for a job like that. I'm good with numbers, smart, flexible and my attention to details is topnotch and when I set my mind on a thing, I see it to completion. What's needed is just a month or week's training to adapt to whatever job.

BACK TO PG?

After my inability to process the form and subsequent shortlisting of names, I resolved to pursue my masters this time. Again I got the form and I'm almost done with project proposal and I should get it sorted before next weekend including processing. My folks have been supportive. God bless them. I promised I will see it through this time.

A FRIEND THAT LINKS UP

As an introvert, my mental arousal is high and so tend to seek quieter places. I don't go out much except to where I manage, after teaching. So it's like clockwork. Teaching, managing, home and repeat. Except, of course, on Sundays where teaching is alternated with church. A robotic lifestyle you'd say LOL.

I have few friends. Three of them. One is my childhood (his name is Equaliser) and the other two are my course mates from uni. The smaller the circle, the more loyal the friends are. We talk from to time, celebrating successes and praying for growth, keeping each other informed of job opportunities. Two of my friends from uni are gainfully employed and I'm honestly happy for them and pray for an opening for me too.
I remember mailing one of the 'big boys' here whom I thought might refer me to any opportunities, since he seems to be doing well and connected (flaunts expensive Devices all the time); if he'd responded to my mail. I don't blame him anyway because I knew he must have received tons of emails from Chronic Beggers Asociation of Nairaland. And he must have thought mine was just another urgent 1k-airtime- showMeLove email, and thereby never responded.

So one of my friends (let's call him Chris) has been talking to his HR about me and asked that I send a CV. I did. He also send a link for an internal recruitment post. You see, the company Chris works for has a sister company and he needed me to be at the sister's because it will afford me the opportunity to do other things after work, unlike where he is working. Talk of being a good friend and looking out for me even when I haven't gotten the job yet! So, following the link, I signed up for an international recruitment site in order to apply for the job. Completed all details, writing a cover letter and uploading my photo for potential employers.

I did these last year and was sent an acknowledgement email that my application had been received. After about a week, I got a mail that I was successful and should proceed to second stage. Repeating the process in stage one but this time fine-tuning my CV and cover letter, I submitted application for second stage. After a week or so, I got a call from the recruitment site (the site manages recruitment also) that I have a mail with a link to write an online test.

For the first time I was sure this is just not ordinary. I had the feeling that this application is different and If I have come this far then I'd be the selected few that will be employed. I was certain, with God.

The test went well and I called Chris afterwards and informed him. He was happy for me. Such a wonderful guy.

Again I was contacted by the company to accept an interview session, on phone. Lucky me L.O.L
I did my best and was told I'd be informed.

Recently was contacted that I will be told what to do as I was successful after the interview.

My DILEMMA

My resolve to pursue a PG is to better my chances of landing a good job and now I'm about to land a job and the pay is about 600% (as compared to the private school I teach). This could be a huge step up from my current job and would go a long way in setting me up financially, paving ways for upgrading my CV in terms of getting certifications.

My folks are pro PG and I have mixed feelings.
Getting this offer after years of graduation shows one can still get an offer even after PG (one of my friends advised)
Would you pursue the PG or go for the job?

If the former, what are the prospects after? If the latter, can one combine working and PG effectively and what could you do differently?

How would not accepting the offer make Chris feel knowing that he sent the link and gave me insight as to how the interview was done!?

What do I tell the company? Because I assured them during interview and when I was called to come for documentation that I am ready to join them...considering the fact that I didn't accept their offer and if I have to politely reject what do I tell them?

Any Mod, please help push this to FP for more opinions

Cc
oam4j
sexkillzs
Re: Masters (pg) Or Job Offer; Your Inpute Needed by Stephen0mozzy: 6:39am On Feb 07, 2022
I think you should get the job and build your work experience... Is the job related to your field of study? When you said it's 600% better than your current pay.. That's good, which means you can plan more effectively and look at maybe doing a ??part time??PG program after one year on the job when you would have been comfortable with the job requirements.

Sure Chris and the firm will feel let down that that you started something which you eventually aces but yet again you didn't see it through.

Remember you have submitted a lot of applications before this one came.. While scarcity mentality shouldn't make you shortchange your self sha... But be wise and whatever you decide make sure you stand by It
Re: Masters (pg) Or Job Offer; Your Inpute Needed by Aeoner4: 6:53am On Feb 07, 2022
Stephen0mozzy:
I think you should get the job and build your work experience... Is the job related to your field of study? When you said it's 600% better than your current pay.. That's good, which means you can plan more effectively and look at maybe doing a ??part time??PG program after one year on the job when you would have been comfortable with the job requirements.

Sure Chris and the firm will feel let down that that you started something which you eventually aces but yet again you didn't see it through.

Remember you have submitted a lot of applications before this one came.. While scarcity mentality shouldn't make you shortchange your self sha... But be wise and whatever you decide make sure you stand by It

Yes it's related to my field and on-the-job experience matters, in this case.
Re: Masters (pg) Or Job Offer; Your Inpute Needed by Nobody: 6:54am On Feb 07, 2022
Dicey situation. I imagined myself in your shoes and i must thank God that I'm not inside your shoe cus na that job I'll go for without thinking twice.
I graduated last year and before my graduation I've made a resolute to go straight to Msc. I don't wanna be too attached to work now but like i said, your case is very different and understandable.
I only have one question, so i must write a project proposal before starting the Msc?
Re: Masters (pg) Or Job Offer; Your Inpute Needed by Aeoner4: 6:57am On Feb 07, 2022
BABYharder:
Dicey situation. I imagined myself in your shoes and i must thank God that I'm not inside your shoe cus na that job I'll go for without thinking twice.
I graduated last year and before my graduation I've made a resolute to go straight to Msc. I don't wanna be too attached to work now but like i said, your case is very different and understandable.
I only have one question, so i must write a project proposal before starting the Msc?

Most schools do that. Atleast the one I applied to
Re: Masters (pg) Or Job Offer; Your Inpute Needed by Nobody: 6:59am On Feb 07, 2022
Aeoner4:

Most schools do that. Atleast the one I applied to
Ok. Thanks, I'll make enquires
Re: Masters (pg) Or Job Offer; Your Inpute Needed by Aeoner4: 9:17pm On Feb 08, 2022
After a careful consideration and prayers I chose the job offer

From the money saved I can scale up and upgrade with certifications.

I just need focus and a strick saving culture.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Shell Staff On Strike / What Andrew Tate Taught Me About Getting Clients To Accept My Freelance Offers / I Couldn't Further My School All My School Mates Are Now Graduate,any hope?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.