Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,787 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Python Vs Java - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python Vs Java (19986 Views)

C++ Vs Java (hilarious Gif) / Python Vs Ruby? / Vb vs Java: Which Is Better For Mobile Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Python Vs Java by netghost: 11:50pm On Jun 28, 2011
shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Python Vs Java by Nobody: 12:12am On Jun 29, 2011
This thread was started for healthy discussions/debate. If it has denegerated to the point of insults and counter insults. Please, as the poster of this thread, i advise the moderator to close it. Since, obviously it no longer serves the purpose. Let's use discretion, pls!
Re: Python Vs Java by csharpjava(m): 10:06am On Jun 29, 2011
I wish to tender my humble apology for the last statement I made on this thread.
Re: Python Vs Java by candylips(m): 10:57am On Jun 29, 2011
why can't nigerians engage in a debabte without getting personal undecided.

same thing happens all the time in the politics section
Re: Python Vs Java by SayoMarvel(m): 4:35pm On Jun 29, 2011
@Fayimora
You said people should only attempt the "Aquarium" if they've signed up for brain death. I'm planning to implement it directly in the assembly language (no dependency on any library i.e display, keyboard and mouse event capture, memory management, graphic rendering). I'll be implementing everything from scratch. Do you copy? cheesy

My comment: Java is still unmatched.
But how does C# measure up? In terms of performance, supported platforms, portability, and standard/third-party APIs.
Re: Python Vs Java by Fayimora(m): 5:01pm On Jun 29, 2011
Yeah i said so but i meant in C++, Anyways you can still enjoy implementing it, Do you mind commiting each phase of your development on github so I can see hat you are doing(am still a newbie in assembly, infact i just dnt get it, lol)
Re: Python Vs Java by SayoMarvel(m): 7:22pm On Jun 29, 2011
@Fayimora
You can't be serious. That was just a joke. Doing that directly in assembly without any dependency on any library? Don't even dream it. I'm an assembly newbie too and its crazy mahn, really crazy.This is what an author has to say.

Many programmers think that hexadecimal (or hex) numbers represent absolute proof that God never intended anyone to program in assembly language,

So please my comment was just a coder's joke. Can you please say something on the latter part of my last comment?
Re: Python Vs Java by netghost: 10:13pm On Jun 29, 2011
SayoMarvel:

So please my comment was just a coder's joke. Can you please say something on the latter part of my last comment?

i was waiting to see some codes cry cry
Re: Python Vs Java by Fayimora(m): 11:12pm On Jun 29, 2011
Hahaha that was the irony in
Fayimora:

Do you mind commiting each phase of your development on github so I can see what you are doing

Of course it isin't impossible(not even sure about that) but you are as good as dead.
Re: Python Vs Java by Nobody: 2:53am On Jun 30, 2011
Fact is, study Assembly Language and you may end up not programming in your life again.
Re: Python Vs Java by SayoMarvel(m): 1:16pm On Jun 30, 2011
Assembly language is the only language that I know, that when you are studying it through a standard textbook, you would have gone more than 200 (maybe 250) pages without printing "Hello World" on your screen. But do you know that there is something called Java Assembly (not an official name though)? So many people do not know about it and most Java programmers won't encounter it throughout their career. You only see it when there is a need for AGGRESSIVE optimization and using the C/C++ language through the Java Native Interface (JNI) proves not to be enough for the performance gain that you want. Assembly is a challenge but its not too bad learning it (at the very least, for Malware development).
Re: Python Vs Java by candylips(m): 3:18pm On Jun 30, 2011
SayoMarvel:

You only see it when there is a need for AGGRESSIVE optimization and using the C/C++ language through the Java Native Interface (JNI) proves not to be enough for the performance gain that you want. Assembly is a challenge but its not too bad learning it (at the very least, for Malware development).

assembly languague  shocked  dude are you in the Jurrassic age or something.  grin

the people still doing assembly probably are into hardware programming.

i don't  see why any aspiring application developer will want to go trough the pains of learning binary
Re: Python Vs Java by Fayimora(m): 3:26pm On Jun 30, 2011
candylips:

dude are you in the Jurrassic age or something.  grin
loooooool hahahahah lmaoooo grin grin cheesy mehn i love this forum
Re: Python Vs Java by SayoMarvel(m): 3:10pm On Jul 01, 2011
*laughing* at some guys here (humorously). I'm on a queue waiting to defend my VHDL code. I'll "spit" my mind about the assambly stuff when I get on desktop. If you say assembly is complecated, what will you say about VHDL (an hardware description language)?
Re: Python Vs Java by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 01, 2011
I am new to Python which has a lot of extensions and different types. What I have seen so far when comparing Java to Python is the processing speed and it is higher level language than Java . But, I was told Python might actually be the future with the way Cpython is heading with little proof.
Re: Python Vs Java by netghost: 7:23pm On Jul 01, 2011
SayoMarvel:

*laughing* at some guys here (humorously). I'm on a queue waiting to defend my VHDL code. I'll "spit" my mind about the assambly stuff when I get on desktop. If you say assembly is complecated, what will you say about VHDL (an hardware description language)?

its understandable if someone is a die-hard java,c# or python fan , but VDHL/ASM, tell me you program dinosaurs shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Python Vs Java by Fayimora(m): 10:27pm On Jul 01, 2011
If there is one thing I love about my self. its the way i handle challenges. Now you talking about VHDL. Is that even a challenge? I mean WTH!!!!!!!!. Are you an ee or me student?
Re: Python Vs Java by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 01, 2011
There is this buzz about python everywhere. People are so much interested in knowing how to program in this very hight level -- dynamic coding language. I believe there is something about it other than being a very object oriented language than Java. I would advise anybody interested in programming to look beyond a particular programming language. I buy the idea of learning both and any other useful ones which can stand the test of time.
Re: Python Vs Java by SayoMarvel(m): 3:34pm On Jul 02, 2011
netghost:

its understandable if someone is a die-hard java,c# or python fan , but VDHL/ASM, tell me you program dinosaurs shocked shocked shocked

Contrary to what you think, I'm a die hard Java guy. Most of my work is basically done in Java. Lemme ask you a quick question. Have you ever thought of making a virus? Did you ever think of Java in that respect? No! Your best approach is Assembly.

Fayimora:

If there is one thing I love about my self. its the way i handle challenges. Now you talking about VHDL. Is that even a challenge? I mean WTH!!!!!!!!. Are you an ee or me student?

Bro, I'm a CPE (computer engineering) student so we do a lot of hardware stuffs and thats where VHDL comes in. Actually VHDL is not a "programming" language, its just a hardware description language but it also have so many of the constructs of "programming languages" but you have to operate at the lowest level. Really low level. Creating a circuit that performs division, you have to break the division down to subtractions, which you will do with addition circuits made of AND/OR stuffs because your decimal numbers will be treated as binary so you do the BCD handling your self. Though we're doing this mainly for educational purpose, in real production, the Graphic editor will be the major tool but it still can't erase your use of the language.

Now let me talk about assembly.
Assembly gives you "total" control over what goes on in the system. This makes it very good for smart viruses. A friend of ours that can still try to give birth to viruses is Mrs. C but C's compilers generates machine instructions the way they think is appropriate not the way you want them. And more over, a line in assembly is the same as in direct machine code, in fact, I've seen an exam question that requires the candidate to hand assemble a given (small) assembly code. But a line of code in a high level language, a line of code is equal to several machine instructions so you can't go in between a line of C code to do some really cool stuff. Which means that line of code has to be implemented at the machine level, the way the compiler deems fit. An assembly friend of ours that also tries to misbehave at times is the Microsoft Macro Assembler, he tries to outsmart the programmer sometimes.
Assembly is also good for BIOS level programming, sometimes, device driver programming, creation of some special emulators, etc.
I said something about Java Assembly earlier, has anyone made a research on that? Assembly cannot be completely erased.

Lets not swerve from the main topic. Java is a better player compared to Python. Have you been following the Java Community Process? Do you know the possibilities the Java 7 brings to we developers? Java 7 will be launching on 7/7 (that is 7th July). Expect the bomb!
Re: Python Vs Java by SayoMarvel(m): 3:39pm On Jul 02, 2011
And hey, my last post is not to say that I'm an assembly guru o, I'm just at the "Hello World" level. But I've learnt a lot of things studying assembly (e.g processor architectures, memory addressing, etc).
Re: Python Vs Java by netghost: 10:40pm On Jul 02, 2011
SayoMarvel:

Lemme ask you a quick question. Have you ever thought of making a virus? Did you ever think of Java in that respect? No! Your best approach is Assembly.

cheesy cheesy grin grin
LOL
your funny, Assembly is a good approach, but not the only approach, assmbly the best approach? dude virus writing has nothing to do with programming the garden of eden, using your hands to drive in nails, does not make your hands better than a hammer,
NOTE: a programming language is only as good as the programmer
Re: Python Vs Java by Ghenghis(m): 10:27am On Jul 03, 2011
netghost:

cheesy cheesy grin grin
LOL
your funny, Assembly is a good approach, but not the only approach, assmbly the best approach? dude virus writing has nothing to do with programming the garden of eden, using your hands to drive in nails, does not make your hands better than a hammer,
NOTE: a programming language is only as good as the programmer

I largely agree with @SayoMarvel, you create viruses ( and such) by utilizing loopholes or breaking the rules with regards standard practices. For example most compilers(higher level languages) would try to prevent you from buffer overruns, using memory outside your segment, etc.
If you need to what's not standard then you need to drop all the safety harnesses, Assembly language give you no harness.

Also it takes time to program in assembly, though its not as bad as its usually portrayed. I don't think i'll write a GUI program in assembly but there are certain parts of a program (especially those that deal with low level utilities or drivers) that assembly is best suited.

Python is cool and useful for quick prototyping, but once i get my algorithm or done my initial tests , I move to Java.
I respect the Python, TCL/TK and perl languages, but i find them most useful for stringing system utilities together. Python is definitively not more object oriented than Java, Its Loosely typed.
Re: Python Vs Java by candylips(m): 1:15pm On Jul 03, 2011
loose typing is not much of a big deal if u are using a very good IDE
Re: Python Vs Java by netghost: 4:43pm On Jul 03, 2011
Ghenghis:

For example most compilers(higher level languages) would try to prevent you from buffer overruns,  using memory outside your segment

hmmm, ok oh
personally i think c and c++ are better choices
Re: Python Vs Java by Ghenghis(m): 9:05pm On Jul 03, 2011
netghost:

hmmm, ok oh
personally i think c and c++ are better choices
they are good choices, but not perfect. You'd have to use the special c/C++ compilers for the platform and not the general purpose one. i.e. every time new hardware is released, a new compiler and accompanying api and toolsets are also released. This is okay, but it ties you to the platform ,

candylips:

loose typing is not much of a big deal if u are using a very good IDE

loose typing vs. strong typing is not an IDE thingy. Its runtime type Identification, meaning i won't bother about this until runtime. Java is strongly typed meaning all[most] data types are determined at compile time ,

in python you can have a list that has string, number, character : the same is not possible in Java. If you have to do this in java u loose type information and have to treat the list as one of objects ,
Re: Python Vs Java by SayoMarvel(m): 12:04pm On Jul 04, 2011
Thank God there is he that understandeth me here, lest I look like I am speaking in tongues. cheesy
Re: Python Vs Java by ridott02: 7:56am On Apr 25, 2013
[quote author=candylips]Fayimora like i said i code daily in java so i am emotionally attached to it as you do.

but tell me which of this code is easier on the eye

Java
-------

public class HelloWorld
{
    public static void main (String[] args)
    {
        System.out.println("Hello, world!"wink;
    }
}

Python
---

print "Hello, world!"

Java
------
public class Employee
{
    private String myEmployeeName;
    private int    myTaxDeductions = 1;
    private String myMa

I love these codes.I learn java also but not yet developing anything on it!I was later told by somebody that c#/.vb is the best,how will you describe it to defend your point and to enducate us.Thanks.
Re: Python Vs Java by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 26, 2013
they are all languages, what you do with it is what counts.

the developer decides whether apps are secure or not, efficient or not

1 Like

Re: Python Vs Java by bb6xt(m): 12:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
agi-tuedor:
A very serious question to all programmers in this forum. PYTHON and JAVA, which do you prefer? I know different languages are suited for different situations but judging from your experiences, which of these do you think is more flexible? Or more efficient? Your candid opinion, pls.
More efficient? If development time is important then I'd say python.
More flexible? That has to be python again. Python is a multiparadigm language. It supports both functional and pure OOP approaches to software development unlike java which requires that every bit of code must be encapsulated in a class. Take the python built-in map() function. there is no need for it to be a class where u'll have to call is as MapClass.map() if it is a static method or new MapClass().map(). Check d docs on lambdas in java and u'll agree that python's implementation is far superior, or multiple inheritance. why would I need an interface which just acts as a stub and have to implement d methods inline with my code (ugly) when each class can just extend an abstract base class? but that is not saying java is not a great language, i am just too lazy 2 write a thousand LOC when all i really need is just 250!
Re: Python Vs Java by bb6xt(m): 12:33pm On Apr 27, 2013
Fayimora:
OFFTOPIC: How do you survive with gui in c++?
The best gui framework I've ever used is written in c++ but also has language bindings for Python (PyQt, PySide), Java (QtJambi), Ruby. It is one of the most portable and easy to use gui frameworks. At the moment there is a beta port on android, ios and blackberry. Check it out @ www.qt-project.org. I even prefer it (QtJambi) to swing on the Java platform.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Let's Stop Talking About Password Strength / Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? / [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.