Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,540 members, 7,816,314 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy (35099 Views)

Nigeria May Be Stripped Of Commonwealth Games Gold Medal / Harry Maguire And Fern Hawkins Wedding Photos / Man City To Be Stripped Of 2014 Premier League Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by obembet(f): 12:47pm On Feb 09, 2022
Manchester United fans have called for Harry Maguire to be stripped of the captain's armband after his latest disappointing performance for the club.

Maguire made two costly blunders as they dropped points on the road in their 1-1 draw with bottom of the league Burnley.

Raphael Varane thought he had headed in the opener for Ralf Rangnick's side only for VAR to overturn the call after Maguire, standing in an offside position, blocked off the run of Jay Rodriguez.

Paul Pogba put United ahead before Burnley hit back just two minutes into the second-half.

Wout Weghorst skilfully turned Maguire before playing in Rodriguez who held off the United skipper to slip home an equaliser and earn a 1-1 draw.

Later in the game, Maguire was booked for purposefully bringing down Rodriguez while the striker was about to run in on goal, with debate surrounding whether he should have been sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity.
MaxUtd commented: 'Harry Maguire robbed Varane of a goal and was at fault for the Burnley goal. Get this fraud out my club.'

Another user posted: 'Harry Maguire really cost Varane a goal, cleansheet and Man Utd the 3 points. And he’s the captain.'

Mark Goldbridge from fan channel the United Stand posted: 'I'd be fuming with Maguire if I'm Varane for that. He was scoring the goal anyway and Maguire doesn't need to do it.'

Tekker360 hit out at Maguire for his mistake leading up to Burnley's goal as he said: 'Harry Maguire makes the players around him better. For example he made Weghorst looks like Messi.'

United fans were not the only people to hit out at Maguire, as Rio Ferdinand branded Maguire's performance as 'poor' and said he was 'lucky not to be sent off'.

Ferdinand said on BT Sport: 'The goal was poor on Harry’s part. He will take responsibility for that. He needs to iron it out. Even the challenge he made over the halfway line. He’s lucky to have stayed on the pitch.

'It’s a performance he won’t be happy with. I don’t know if it’s a hangover from the Euros, physically and mentally.

'There hasn’t been the consistency from a player of his stature this season. We can level it at Harry Maguire but this whole team has to take responsibility.'

Describing Burnley's equaliser, Ferdinand continued: 'There’s McTominay, he’s your protection, all he’s got to do, Maguire, is keep pushing him away, he hasn’t got to overcommit, as soon as he over commits, it’s a great piece of skill, this pass is sublime, if Kevin de Bruyne does that [Weghorst pass] we’ll all be going crazy.

'This touch across Maguire [from Rodriguez] takes him completely out of it. I don’t think Maguire is quick enough to have got there to affect that situation once it got beyond him.

'It’s about stopping it at the source, once he has the big No 9, keep him facing [away from] the goal, he’s got the security of McTominay in front of him, he can deal with him a little bit, these are small mistakes leading to big moments.'

Ferdinand's fellow pundit Rachel Brown-Finnis, and former Everton goalkeeper, voiced her concerns on how Maguire's performances could have a negative affect on team-mates around him as well as questioning his leadership.

'He’s got to have a calm head and not make rash decisions. But we saw him run back and you could see how he was almost treading water. How slow he looked,' she added.

'I just think he was switched off on too many occasions. As a goalkeeper I want someone who is calm and making assured decisions. He’s played as the England captain and as the United captain and I expect that from a leader. He hasn’t been a leader at the moment.'

Maguire after a brilliant Euro 2020 campaign with England has suffered a miserable season with the Red Devils.

His performance against Burnley was the latest match where he has made costly errors which have cost United this season and fans have been calling for him to be dropped as captaincy and from the starting 11.

In dropping points to Burnley, United dropped out of the Champions League places with West Ham moving up to fourth after their 1-0 victory over Watford.

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/16678263/harry-maguire-stripped-man-utd-captaincy-paul-parker/

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by Rastaramsey(m): 1:00pm On Feb 09, 2022
FTC
Maguire is just too horrible to watch.....
The big mistake came from ole, he bought someone now, he wasn't really integrated into the team but given the captain armband.....
Damnnnn this shit sucks..... Maguire is just too worse, he keeps committing blunders every single matchday....
He needs to be shown the way out.....

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by MITCHELL96: 1:02pm On Feb 09, 2022
Can they please do that immediately for me and the sake of the club please ? cry

Give the captaincy to either De Gea, Ronaldo Or Bruno Fernandes, 3 of them are worthy of it, Especially De Gea, because he's been the one carrying the team on his shoulder, Without him, we'd be bottom on the table, Wtf! I've watched every MAN U Match This Season and I've seen the saves he's made and how shitty Maguire is

Maguire is not stable, He's not a player that can cope with Fast & skilful attackers, tension & trolls, he's not even bold sef, wtf! Allah! Person like me, if I no dribble Nonsense comot for Maguire, make I bend angry

I've been a die hard Manchester United fan since 2007 and I've never been this sick of a player like Maguire, Please!, Sell or bench the MF!

On a good and free injury season, I'd prefer Bailey And Lindelof Or Bailey & Jones,Hear me again, ON A GOOD AND FREE INJURY SEASON, before y'all start quoting me! , Those are the 2 defenders that are ready to sacrifice, blood,flesh and sweat just for the club, the remaining ones na just money dey motivate them, if they even have any motivation sef!! angry

Person like me wey dey find this kind opportunity make I show them say I get the DRIVE for GREATNESS.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by obembet(f): 1:18pm On Feb 09, 2022
He can't lead As a Captain, Maguire can't lead As a defender, he can't defend And as a Fridge, he can't even keep things cool

Lalasticlala

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by paulolee(m): 1:33pm On Feb 09, 2022
the guy na big blunder...very lazy n clueless for such fee wasted on him...
currently the most expensive defender in d world bt he cnt reach d level of van.dik, laporte, stones, diaz, etc..
I saw d handwriting on d wall wen I first heard van der vart said maguire is just coming to training n matches n doing nothing but getting paid each week...maguire worst abeegi

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by paulolee(m): 1:35pm On Feb 09, 2022
obembet:
He can't lead As a Captain, Maguire can't lead As a defender, he can't defend And as a Fridge, he can't even keep things cool

Lalasticlala
it would be hard to strip or bench him bcox he must be part of england worldcup starting line up..
na cafa for that EPL dey help all these mediocre players...
my friend obembet, hope after the season ends, all u cr7 fanboys wont place d failure of making top4 n the trophiless situation of united on d feet of Maguire d way u guys placed cr7 failure to win d UCL with juve on the feets of 3 coaches n bad Juve players..

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by obembet(f): 3:03pm On Feb 09, 2022
paulolee:

it would be hard to strip or bench him bcox he must be part of england worldcup starting line up..
na cafa for that EPL dey help all these mediocre players...
my friend obembet, hope after the season ends, all u cr7 fanboys wont place d failure of making top4 n the trophiless situation of united on d feet of Maguire d way u guys placed cr7 failure to win d UCL with juve on the feets of 3 coaches n bad Juve players..

WE WIN,

WE LOSE

WE ARE MANCHESTER UNITED

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by Zionzoom(m): 3:10pm On Feb 09, 2022
MITCHELL96:
Can they please do that immediately for me and the sake of the club please ? cry

Give the captaincy to either De Gea, Ronaldo Or Bruno Fernandes, 3 of them are worthy of it, Especially De Gea, because he's been the one carrying the team on his shoulder, Without him, we'd be bottom on the table, Wtf! I've watched every MAN U Match This Year, And I've seen the saves he's made and how shitty Maguire is

Maguire is not stable, He's not a player that can cope with Fast & skilful attackers, tension & trolls, he's not even bold sef, wtf! Allah! Person like me, if I no drivkle Nonsense comot for Maguire, make I bend angry

I've been a die hard Manchester United fan since 2007 and I've never been this sick of a player like Maguire, Please! Sell or bench the MF!

On a good and free injury season, I'd prefer Bailey And Lindelof Or Bailey & Jones,Hear me again, ON A GOOD AND FREE INJURY SEASON, before y'all start quoting me! , Those are the 2 defenders that are ready to sacrifice, blood,flesh and sweat just for the club, the remaining ones na just money dey motivate them, if they even have any motivation sef!! angry

Person like me wey dey find this kind opportunity make I show them say I get the DRIVE for GREATNESS.

He's British so they won't strip him of the band.
Ive been a man utd fan like you from 2007. Even me i am tired .
As in I don't even talk about football with my guys again because of this team.
Maguire doesn't even behave like a leader at all, he doesn't have the charisma of a leader. De gea, Ronaldo or Bruno should be made the captain but no. British media won't allow it

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by yusluvad(m): 3:14pm On Feb 09, 2022
It's very neccesary. The guy is just useless as a player...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by MITCHELL96: 4:04pm On Feb 09, 2022
Zionzoom:
He's British so they won't strip him of the band.
Ive been a man utd fan like you from 2007. Even me i am tired .
As in I don't even talk about football with my guys again because of this team.
Maguire doesn't even behave like a leader at all, he doesn't have the charisma of a leader. De gea, Ronaldo or Bruno should be made the captain but no. British media won't allow it

Manchester United will start making big progress when they don't give a F about what the media would say, is it the British media that's paying their bills ? Are they the ones signing players for Man U ? What are they contributing ? If not to Hype, shade & troll players

Let them not strip him off that captaincy, let them be there thinking what British media will say as if British media has a stake in the club

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by vanida6: 4:07pm On Feb 09, 2022
All Man United players need factory Resetting slap especially maquire sad

very useless club!!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by obembet(f): 4:31pm On Feb 09, 2022
Lalasticlala
Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by BlaqFaze: 4:56pm On Feb 09, 2022
obembet:

WE WIN,

WE LOSE

WE ARE MANCHESTER UNITED
Naso una take enter Championship grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by Great100000: 6:32pm On Feb 09, 2022
Make e dey Man Utd oooo, e better pass Maldini, Vidic, Nesta, Terry, Stam and other Defenders sef.

Maguire is the best Center back in the history of football.

Can't believe Chalorbah of Chelsea get tropy pass Maguire. tongue tongue tongue

10 Likes

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by tunjijones(m): 8:23pm On Feb 09, 2022
Man u always have one excuse or the other any time they play bad game, which is becoming like most times. If they are not pointing accusing fingers at one player then it wld be d coach. The fans still no wan believe say the club na B rated club for England.

When last man u win match sef?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by BigBelleControl(m): 8:24pm On Feb 09, 2022
Maguire to perspire before you acquire in the mud.

He's the best CB in the world, ask around.

2 Likes

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by tillaman(m): 8:24pm On Feb 09, 2022
shocked
Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by phemmyfour: 8:25pm On Feb 09, 2022
Never....He remains the most expensive English defender

1 Like

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:25pm On Feb 09, 2022
Manchester United Fans, all da very best to una for the future.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by lonecatt(m): 8:27pm On Feb 09, 2022
The days of winning by politics is over for man u.

3 Likes

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by Moyor7(m): 8:29pm On Feb 09, 2022
Among mustafi and Maguire..... who's worse sef??

5 Likes

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by BlaqJosh: 8:29pm On Feb 09, 2022
That guy is a complete disaster to the team,
Have never seen such a catastrophic personality in my team, I can't boast about my team again because of this Fridge.

#SellTheFridgeMan

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by minasu190: 8:30pm On Feb 09, 2022
Honestly England is full of racism,i dont know why the captain band was given to maguire,he's to wack and not fit enough,i prefer Eric Bally than this guy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by Agbegbaorogboye: 8:30pm On Feb 09, 2022
Ungrateful plastic fans.

I stand with Magun sorry Maguire
Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by southsouthking(m): 8:30pm On Feb 09, 2022
England and their over hype players.

Give David De Gea the captain arm band and stop been bias.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by frog12: 8:31pm On Feb 09, 2022
no be english, dem go push medocre english players up like that ashley before dem jag am away grin grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by Tonymegabush1(m): 8:32pm On Feb 09, 2022
Everyone is looking for a scapegoat... undecided
Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by Sonnobax15(m): 8:32pm On Feb 09, 2022
grin
Maguire wey suppose to be ball boy.....

The truth is that every single Man. United player needs to be sold..... Nighas been cutting boys tickets like say tomorrow no dey undecided

2 Likes

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by WHITELIGHTER: 8:33pm On Feb 09, 2022
Rastaramsey:
FTC
Maguire is just too horrible to watch.....
The big mistake came from ole, he bought someone now, he wasn't really integrated into the team but given the captain armband.....
Damnnnn this shit sucks..... Maguire is just too worse, he keeps committing blunders every single matchday....
He needs to be shown the way out.....

He reminds me of Mustafi and Sendoros

1 Like

Re: Man United Fans Slam Maguire And Call For Him To Be Stripped Of The Captaincy by blinking001(m): 8:33pm On Feb 09, 2022
grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos From Asisat Oshoala House Warming Party / Africa Cup Of Nations: Guide To AFCON 2021 Full Fixture List And Star Players / Ebosetale Okhueleigbe Wins International Golf Tournament In Tanzania

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.