Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,328 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike (9585 Views)

Court Extends Order Restraining NLC, TUC From Embarking On Strike / Again: Industrial Court Restrains TUC, NLC, Others From Embarking On Strike / Industrial Court Restrains NLC, TUC from Embarking On Planne September 28 Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by GardenOfGod(m): 5:37pm On Feb 09, 2022
REPS BLOCK BILL TO BAR DOCTORS, OTHERS FROM EMBARKING ON STRIKE

The House of Representatives, on Wednesday, forced a member, Simon Atigwe (PDP/Enugu) to withdraw a bill seeking to bar workers in the health sector from embarking on industrial action.

According to the House, the proposal, which failed its second reading at the plenary on Wednesday, was against the provisions of the Constitution.

The legislation is titled, A Bill for an Act to Amend the Trade Disputes Act, Cap. T8, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 to Prohibit Medical Practitioners in the Employment of Federal, State and Local Governments (as Employees in the Essential Service Sector) from Embarking on Strike and to Accelerate Administrative and Judicial Proceedings in the Determination of Trade Disputes Involving Them; and for Related Matters.

Several unions in the health sector such as the National Association of Resident Doctors and the Joint Health Sector Union have on different occasions downed tools over issues bothering on their welfare and working conditions.

On Wednesday, Atigwe had read out the long title of the bill and moved a motion for its second reading, while Christopher Okwudili seconded the motion.

The Deputy Speaker, Ahmed Wase, who presided over the session, had asked the sponsor to lead the debate on the bill.

Another member, Iduma Igariwey, however, raised a point of order to cite Section 34(1)(c) of the Constitution, which prescribes that ‘no person shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour.’

He added, “I have gone through the amendment he intends to make, that it is an offence for medical practitioners to go on strike. What it means is that at all times, they must be forced to work, whether the conditions are proper or not. I think it runs contrary to this constitutional provision.”

Agreeing with Igariwey, the Deputy Speaker said, “You can’t make a law that will be over and above the constitutional provision. The only way you can do that is to amend the Constitution before you now amend the law. It is their right to exercise.”

Not satisfied, Atigwe disclosed that he sponsored the bill based on his experience.

“My amendment is out of experience. I have lost so many of my loved ones through strikes by medical doctors. I feel that if we can checkmate them, then we can save lives. We are not saying they will be forced to be working; the law is providing procedures on how their issues should be handled.”

Again, Wase picked a hole in the lawmaker’s argument, saying, “I’m referring you to the oath of office that you took. You are now bringing your personal matters. The day you took that oath, you swore to Nigerians that you would not allow your personal interest to influence you.”

The Deputy Speaker and several lawmakers, therefore, urged the sponsor to either step down the bill or withdraw it.

Atigwe consequently withdrew the bill.

https://punchng.com/reps-block-bill-to-bar-doctors-others-from-embarking-on-strike/

9 Likes

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by triple996(m): 5:38pm On Feb 09, 2022
Nawaooo
But federal government should try and settle this people nah. Doctors are under appreciated in this country.
Say no to cannibalism and kpurumiri cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by GardenOfGod(m): 5:44pm On Feb 09, 2022
Instead of him to sponsor a bill to force the federal government to always comply with any agreement made with labour union in the country, he is here sponsoring a bill to take away their fundamental human rights. Is that one representing his people or 'his' people? cheesy

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by Brendaniel: 5:49pm On Feb 09, 2022
triple996:
Nawaooo
But federal government should try and settle this people nah. Doctors are under appreciated in this country.
Say no to kpurumiri cheesy

Is it not the same government you keep praising, you and the government are high on mpkurumiri...

Back to the topic, Only In Nigeria will they attempt such stunt....

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by God1000(m): 5:49pm On Feb 09, 2022
They have every right to express their grievances

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by nazicartel(m): 5:49pm On Feb 09, 2022
They like using Igbos for some stupid laws or stuffs in Nigeria... Unu zukwanuike ndi Igbo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by nairavsdollars(f): 5:49pm On Feb 09, 2022
Can the lawmakers reduce their salaries so that our doctors can have better pay?

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by slawormiir: 5:49pm On Feb 09, 2022
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright...
It looks like a good bill but Nigeria is a bad country

Essential workers are not to embark on incessant strike

But we know Nigeria will abuse it and they will be forced to work even if the working conditions are not good

They won't respond and meet to their demand quickly whenever they raised issues bothering them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by NigeriaB(m): 5:50pm On Feb 09, 2022
I like doctors...

By God's grace, I'm going to marry one

1 Like

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by armadeo(m): 5:51pm On Feb 09, 2022
Switch jobs with them.

Ayes and nays clowns.

Nothing una dey do.

The bills don't even affect the common man except when you want to collect from them.

I no blame una sha

2 Likes

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 09, 2022
Why will they go on strike if their working condition is okay......

This people no normal at all

I’ll rather stick to the front page, pets section and technology market for now ..... I’m fed up with this oxlade bullshit cool

1 Like

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by dejio42(m): 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2022
In Nigeria na crime to express your feelings to the government whom you took time to vote into power

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by ilynn543: 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2022
SEE below
Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by Twerk4mi(m): 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2022
GardenOfGod:
Instead of him to sponsor a bill to force the federal government to always comply with any agreement made with labour union in the country, he is here sponsoring a bill to take away their fundamental human rights. Is that one representing his people or 'his' people? cheesy
You are on point

2 Likes

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by ZombieTERROR: 5:53pm On Feb 09, 2022
See the kind of mad people representing South East...

who elects them?..

just pathetic

1 Like

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by Thandiubani(m): 5:54pm On Feb 09, 2022
He deserves to be chased out of that House by his constituents. Imagine trying to stop people from exercising their constitutional rights. He should be recalled immediately.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by GardenOfGod(m): 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2022
Some of our representatives doesn't know their priorities at all.
Twerk4mi:

You are on point
Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by ZombieTERROR: 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2022

who elects them?..

just pathetic[s][/s]

he wouldn't think of Bill preventing the government from owing workers
Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by Halopy: 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2022
First time I'm reading a sensible news from the National Assembly. I suggest that much be removed from that N.A with immediate effect. Those in support hit like biko

2 Likes

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by Walexx412: 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2022
Stupid leader

Golden diamond bulb and light
Need distributors for how product if you're interested pls contact me 09134288273
Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by GardenOfGod(m): 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2022
I tire o
dejio42:
In Nigeria na crime to express your feelings to the government whom you took time to vote into power
Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by leofab(f): 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2022
Let’s see how it goes
Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by utereda: 6:01pm On Feb 09, 2022
A country gone to the dogs
Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by chloride6: 6:01pm On Feb 09, 2022
What sort of unconstitutional nonsense is that?
Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by Babaken(m): 6:03pm On Feb 09, 2022
ZombieTERROR:

who elects them?..

just pathetic
They are everywhere instead of them to reduce their salaries he's here talking punpun yawn.
Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by Nobody: 6:04pm On Feb 09, 2022
nazicartel:
They like using Igbos for some stupid laws or stuffs in Nigeria... Unu zukwanuike ndi Igbo
Nobody used the idiot. He exhibited his idleness through viable stupidity.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Block Bill To Bar Doctors, Others From Embarking On Strike by Day169: 6:08pm On Feb 09, 2022
Very pedestrian in his thinking. It would only worsen the brain drain. While the world is seeking better working conditions for health staff, this so called "lawmaker" is proposing draconian measures!
.. SMH!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enugu LGA Elections: PDP Wins All 17 Chairman And 260 Councillor Seats / Check Out "Before And After" Pictures Of Ike Ekweremadu’s Daughter, Sonia / Vandalism, responsible for Recent Grid Collapse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.