Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? (2065 Views)

Botanical Name For Carpet Grass / Please Help On This Vegetable. / What Is The Botanical Name Of This Leaf? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Kobojunkie: 3:02am On Feb 11, 2022
Been searching for a while for the name of the vegetable shown in the picture. The Igbo name is Achara however the English and botanically names remains a mystery. What I know is that it isn't Elephant grass, nor is it spear plant. undecided

Please any information that includes an image of the plant itself, and the botanical or English name would be much appreciated. undecided

Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by IamAsiri: 4:27am On Feb 11, 2022
Post pictures with leaves and possibly its seeds too
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Kobojunkie: 12:08am On Feb 12, 2022
IamAsiri:
Post pictures with leaves and possibly its seeds too
The only clues I have as far as the identity of this plant are

■ the plant itself is claimed to resemble the elephant grass
■ it is called Achara in Igbo language
■ the stem is what is consumed, not the actual leaves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by baby124: 10:58pm On Feb 19, 2022
That looks like Celery sticks
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Kobojunkie: 3:02am On Feb 24, 2022
baby124:
That looks like Celery sticks
They are not celery sticks and they taste really good in soup. undecided
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by adecz: 5:41pm On Mar 21, 2022
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by CoronaVirusPro: 5:16am On Mar 23, 2022
Igilandis Efroriro

1 Like

Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Kobojunkie: 12:02am On Mar 24, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:
Igilandis Efroriro
Can you please provide reference for this claim of yours? undecided
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by CoronaVirusPro: 5:20pm On Mar 24, 2022
Leeks

Botanical name is Allium porrum
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Kobojunkie: 8:43pm On Mar 25, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:
Leeks
Botanical name is Allium porrum
Somehow I think this may be the correct classification but I have no way of verifying this unless someone here is able to help confirm this. lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by MrsOguguo: 5:46am On Aug 30, 2022
Is Achara soup safe to eat in early pregnancy?
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Ometech: 9:58pm On Aug 31, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Been searching for a while for the name of the vegetable shown in the picture. The Igbo name is Achara however the English and botanically names remains a mystery. What I know is that it isn't Elephant grass, nor is it spear plant. undecided

Please any information that includes an image of the plant itself, and the botanical or English name would be much appreciated. undecided

Name: Elephant grass
Botanical name: pennisetum purpurem
Igbo name:Achara ofe
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Maryam1234(f): 10:57pm On Aug 31, 2022
It's looking like spring onion but no be am cry
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Maryam1234(f): 10:58pm On Aug 31, 2022
Ometech:

Bravo kissbut what op posted is not looking similar abi na sleep dey my eyes,I go look am well tomorrow cry

Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Atlanticfire: 11:41pm On Aug 31, 2022
Kobojunkie:

That is the stem of eleghant grass botanical name Pennisetum purpureum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofe_Achara
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Kobojunkie: 11:47pm On Aug 31, 2022
Atlanticfire:
That is the stem of eleghant grass botanical name Pennisetum purpureum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofe_Achara
The picture is of Pennisetum purpureum. These plants here na ordinary elephant grass... no archara dey am. And that grass plenty for here but not a single one of them wey I don see wetin resemble archara for the stem. undecided

Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Kobojunkie: 11:53pm On Aug 31, 2022
Ometech:

The picture below is of the plant with that botanical name. And it does not have Archara in it at all at all. undecided

Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by maureensylvia(f): 8:19am On Apr 05
Kobojunkie:

Kobo I sent you a pm
Pls check
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Kobojunkie: 4:05pm On Apr 05
maureensylvia:
Kobo I sent you a pm. Pls check
Hi, what's up? undecided
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by excanny: 7:36pm On Apr 05
If no white scientist has studied it and properly class it into a family, then there probably won't be any scientific name for it.

Black people are generally too lazy to study their envoronment and document them, even the ones that claim to be majored in science.

We all have to wait to the 'Almighty' white man to do it for us.

It's a shame.

PS. This Achara looks like elephant grass though on the surface and most likely should be in the same family as it.

1 Like

Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by safarifarms(m): 7:55am On Apr 07
Kobojunkie:
The picture is of Pennisetum purpureum. These plants here na ordinary elephant grass... no archara dey am. And that grass plenty for here but not a single one of them wey I don see wetin resemble archara for the stem. undecided
All the elephant grass pics posted here are of very young elephant grass that's why none looks like the Achara you are looking for. Elephant grass can grow to as tall and nearly as thick as sugarcane.

They grow as tall as elephants, maybe that's why they have the name. See below.

Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Kobojunkie: 2:08am On Apr 08
safarifarms:
All the elephant grass pics posted here are of very young elephant grass that's why none looks like the Achara you are looking for. Elephant grass can grow to as tall and nearly as thick as sugarcane.
They grow as tall as elephants, maybe that's why they have the name. See below
It takes a sugarcane plant approximately 9-16 months in warm climates to be ready for harvest. How many years must one wait for an elephant grass plant to grow enough to be able to harvest Achara from it? I ask because I have seen tall elephant grass plants but still no achara stems to be found. lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by safarifarms(m): 10:14am On Apr 08
Kobojunkie:
It takes a sugarcane plant approximately 9-16 months in warm climates to be ready for harvest. How many years must one wait for an elephant grass plant to grow enough to be able to harvest Achara from it? I ask because I have seen tall elephant grass plants but still no achara stems to be found. lipsrsealed

I don't really know if the Elephant grass is the Achara. My point was just that elephant grass should not be dismissed as possible source because of pictures of small elephant grass that don' t look feasible to be Achara.

2ndly, I'm presently trying to establish elephant grass on my farm for my goats and most of the stems that were brought for me for planting were of that Achara size (Still very young at that stage). I don't know how long it would take elephant grass to grow to maturity but based on the growth rate of the ones I planted I believe they should reach that Achara size within 3 months or even less (on fertile soil).

So if you are in an area where Elephant grass is in abundance, you can look them up. Find the right size and see if it's what you want.
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by Kobojunkie: 12:44pm On Apr 08
safarifarms:

don't really know if the Elephant grass is the Achara. My point was just that elephant grass should not be dismissed as possible source because of pictures of small elephant grass that don' t look feasible to be Achara.
2ndly, I'm presently trying to establish elephant grass on my farm for my goats and most of the stems that were brought for me for planting were of that Achara size (Still very young at that stage). .I don't know how long it would take elephant grass to grow to maturity but based on the growth rate of the ones I planted I believe they should reach that Achara size within 3 months or even less (on fertile soil)
So if you are in an area where Elephant grass is in abundance, you can look them up. Find the right size and see if it's what you want.
All the grass i have examined thus far are at least that age. Let me ask you, are the plants you have the actual achara plant?! undecided
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by safarifarms(m): 4:37pm On Apr 08
Kobojunkie:
All the grass i have examined thus far are at least that age. Let me ask you, are the plants you have the actual achara plant?! undecided

Like I said, I don't really know what is Achara. I guess it's an Igbo delicacy, I'm from the South South. But I do hear of some tribes here talk about cooking some grass in soup but I'm not sure of which grass it is.
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by safarifarms(m): 4:54pm On Apr 08
This is what my Elephant grass looks like as of now. I think I planted this in February and it began to pickup in March when the rains started. Look at the size of the stems as of now that it's less than 3 months. I had applied manure though which would be part of the reason it's growing quite fast.

Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by safarifarms(m): 5:05pm On Apr 08
Some google search results for Achara vs Elephant grass

Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by productsrules(m): 11:52am On Apr 09
Headen Fortunes In Cassava Tuber

Do you know that, with little capital in your hand and little space in your kitchen, you can successfully produce liquid laundry starch from cassava tuber with high quality standard that will be of high demand in the market, I mean the kind of liquid laundry starch that people will beg you with money to buy from you, yes they will beg to buy from you presently I can't even meet up with demand, why because this product is hot cake for dry cleaning outfit they can't do without it, they will have to applied liquid laundry starch to every washed fabric and only few knows about the original recipe for this unique product. [Liquid laundry starch].
Engaging yourself in production of liquid laundry starch will give you fortune,

It will give you %100 return on investment, I mean if you invested just 20,000. your profit after all expenses will equate to 20,000.

If you care to know more, check my signature.
Re: What Is The English/botanical Name Of This Vegetable? by safarifarms(m): 2:05pm
Kobojunkie:
Few days ago I invited an Igbo woman who rented part of my farmland to plant vegetables to come and check the elephant grass. Both she and her son confirmed that the elephant grass is Achara. Then they started explaining how it would grow taller than the fully matured corn that was planted nearby and also warned that it's invasive and would soon take over the area where I planted it. These are exactly the properties of elephant grass.

(1) (Reply)

Where To Get Good Supplys Of Farm Product / Invest In Farming! Get Farmlands From Oyo State Govt @5k/hectare / We Supply/deliver Cotton Seed To Lagos @ #100k Per Tonne

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.