Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,695 members, 7,862,173 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:27 AM

My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable (3323 Views)

My Wife Behaviour Towards My Family Members/Siblings Is Driving Me Crazy / I'm Not Happy With My Mom's Behaviour Towards My Adopted Sister / I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by MsFaith: 2:03pm On Feb 23, 2022
efficiencie:

A foul spirit is aiming to turn you against your mother. Your mother isn't a bad person but the entity she is yielding to unknowingly could be aiming to turn you into her enemy. You will be blessed soon, become rich and powerful and the forces of darkness cannot prevent that from happening but they can make sure you hate your mother and never reach out to her in her time of need. Do not listen to your mother's hateful words and don't let her hatred towards you make you abandon her. Instead keep praying for GOD to free her from the spirit of hatred and bitterness and grant her peace. When GOD blesses you, don't forget your mother. Don't let her bad behavior make you abandon her the enemy could use this as a legal ground against you. May the LORD grant you resounding success in this battle. Amen.

Nigerians!!! Must you spiritualize everything

1 Like

Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by efficiencie(m): 3:45pm On Feb 23, 2022
MsFaith:

Oh yes ohh. I must first spiritualize stuff before physicalizing it.
Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by Kobojunkie: 4:53pm On Feb 23, 2022
MsFaith:
Jesus Christ sef wey dem pretend say dem follow no do any of the things Nigerians dey carry on as if say in his name. The average Nigerian is his own babalawo at this rate. undecided
Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by Kobojunkie: 4:55pm On Feb 23, 2022
redrose88:
I will try it, thank you.
I am happy to see that rather than blame your mother's faults on spirits and voodoo like most Nigerians, you have instead taken to accepting her for who she is and looking for ways to avoid the drama and headache of her. undecided

1 Like

Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 23, 2022
YeyeGbami:
Mothers are irreplaceable, you have to talk to her and let her know how you feel. Don’t isolate yourself!

If you have to get your own place, that is fine. So you can set your rules, make sure you visit her and don’t leave her alone o. She will outgrow most of this things as time goes on.

Some people wish they still have theirs

Nothing is irreplaceable like bad women and mothers like this woman. Let us stop being sentimental over this things

3 Likes

Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by YeyeGbami: 5:16pm On Feb 23, 2022
Framed:

Nothing is irreplaceable like bad women and mothers like this woman. Let us stop being sentimental over this things

You’re right. Mine is not

1 Like

Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by Nobody: 5:21pm On Feb 23, 2022
efficiencie:

A foul spirit is aiming to turn you against your mother. Your mother isn't a bad person but the entity she is yielding to unknowingly could be aiming to turn you into her enemy. You will be blessed soon, become rich and powerful and the forces of darkness cannot prevent that from happening but they can make sure you hate your mother and never reach out to her in her time of need. Do not listen to your mother's hateful words and don't let her hatred towards you make you abandon her. Instead keep praying for GOD to free her from the spirit of hatred and bitterness and grant her peace. When GOD blesses you, don't forget your mother. Don't let her bad behavior make you abandon her the enemy could use this as a legal ground against you. May the LORD grant you resounding success in this battle. Amen.

Guy go and rest abeg. What kind of nonsense is this.
Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by Klass99(f): 5:52pm On Feb 23, 2022

5 Likes

Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by Oixaa: 9:41am On Feb 24, 2022
redrose88:
Good morning Nairaland members, I hope we have all had a nice week and are looking forward to the weekend.

I brought this issue here hoping for workable suggestions after seeing how you have helped other people with their various problems.

Apologies for the long post but I really need your help.

As far as I can remember my mother has always had some kind of issue with me, I don’t know, it’s like she hates me or something. Constant screaming, embarrassment, reporting me to my dad or her siblings since I was small. I usually chalked it up to traditional African upbringing or that she was tired or stressed from work but after visiting family back home (I grew up abroad) and them also coming to stay here I can say there is a difference between traditional/strict parenting and actual abusive behaviour.

Children are the centre of every Nigerian mother’s life and even if they have some tough love techniques or discipline that may look harsh to me as an oyibo they always show their love in other ways that you can observe.

Like making sure the child always looks neat, teaching them things they need to know especially female children like cooking, washing. At least you can always tell that the love is there even if its not all kissing or “I love you” and all that.

A small example: I would always end up at school with my hair messy and tattered, I wasn’t allowed to style it in the salon even though she always make sure her own hair looked good. If I asked to get a nice childrens style at a salon she would report that I’m trying to be like all these Jamaicans, Akata and so on. But when I visited Nigeria I never once saw any little girl whose hair wasn’t done nicely, even if they were living in the slums. And again, other Nigerian/Ghanaian children in the same school never looked the way I did so how is this an Africa vs. Akata issue?

It may sound silly now but it’s just a small example of her neglectful and nasty attitude that does not relate to being from Africa or being a good Christian or whatever.

If I wanted to ask her something she would snap at me and start being hostile, after a simple mistake she would tell me that I’m like my father’s side, and she placed a curse on me that my younger siblings would grow up to surpass me. Is this from African culture?

If I’m cooking she’s nagging everywhere, why am I doing it like this, why am I slicing it like that, why am I taking so long, why am I this and that. That I should stop blocking the kitchen and allow other people to use it. But when I ask what the correct way to do it is, she won’t tell me; she would prefer to mock me in front of everybody. Knowing how important cooking is for women in our culture why chase your daughter away from the kitchen?

What bothers me the most is that she is always very nice and kind to other people’s children (cousins, classmates, neighbours) and just normal with my siblings but the complete opposite when it comes to me. If she were just a mean person who was horrible to everybody, it would be much easier to handle but she’s not! All this seems to be reserved for me and me only.

As I grew older and started university I thought she was mellowing a little bit because she would draw me closer and have conversations but I noticed that most times her “niceness” was actually just manipulation to get me to do what she wanted, using me to dump her problems with my dad or to stop me becoming more independent. Any sign of independence and the insults start flying again, this is from somebody who always narrates how children start boarding school in Africa when they are 11 years old and university at 16 years old and don’t need to keep staying near their parents all the time.

I tried talking to her about the way she behaves but it always ended badly with her getting offended, telling me I’m being disrespectful and so on.

Actually after reading similar threads on Twitter/Nairaland I realised that the majority of elder African people would feel insulted if their child tried to broach such an issue with them, so I decided to abandon that method and I actually quite regret it.

And I also regret answering her back and getting into arguments with her because it only dragged me down to a lower standard and messed up my temperament without solving anything. As well as providing a poor example to my siblings and giving her more ammunition against me to report me with. I don’t like myself whenever I’m near her at all.

Eventually when I realised she was never going to change and seeing the impact it was having on my life and behaviour I just dropped all contact with her and avoided her completely. I do feel much better and I wish I had done this sooner but I think it harms me in the long-term.

For example when I get married she will have to be an integral part of the arrangements and beyond but I really don’t want anything to do with her, I don’t miss her at all and I can’t stand her. I can’t imagine her coming to visit or doing omugwo or anything like that. Can you imagine doing all that with somebody who even drags the kitchen with you??

There are countless times where I went against my own wishes and obeyed her trying to be a respectful daughter only for her to turn around and blame me when it went wrong and I strongly suspect that my future marriage will follow the same pattern if I don’t keep her away from it. But this approach only obtains in Western society where you can get married without anybodys input and not in Nigeria where you need your family to back you in everything.

I dont stay in the family home anymore but I don’t know what to do because avoiding her essentially means avoiding my whole family. I can’t isolate any contact with them without her being involved in it somehow. At the same time I can’t imagine being stuck in her bondage again.

What do I do please?

The only explanation for this is she is transferring hatred for your biological father to you. You need to find out, the person you call your father may not actually be your father.
Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by Kobojunkie: 11:05am On Feb 24, 2022
Oixaa:
The only explanation for this is she is transferring hatred for your biological father to you. You need to find out, the person you call your father may not actually be your father.
Why? undecided
To what end? undecided
Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by cayorday89(m): 12:02pm On Feb 24, 2022
Madam, it's your reality and in cases like this people will give you different advice and you will end up confusing yourself.

Truly there are times you will feel guilty or think of the future like when you want to get married and you needing her to be around, but the ultimate thing for you to do now is stay alone, heal and later get in touch with others and gradually they will come to terms with you, then take note of your mum's reaction and attitude towards you. How she reacts after a long time away will determine how you will move forward in your relationship with her.

2 Likes

Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by Ishilove: 1:11pm On Feb 24, 2022
dawnomike:
something is wrong somewhere.... Be patient, time will soon come to leave the house for good. You won't be with get in her house forever.
Make una dey read before una comment

1 Like

Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by redrose88: 3:48am On Mar 07, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I am happy to see that rather than blame your mother's faults on spirits and voodoo like most Nigerians, you have instead taken to accepting her for who she is and looking for ways to avoid the drama and headache of her. undecided

Well I do feel that there is a spiritual element to this but right now my focus is working out a good practical approach to this issue to prevent her doing me (and me doing myself) any further harm.

I believe that once my position becomes more settled I will have the capacity to consider everything from a spiritual angle without getting too distressed.
Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by redrose88: 4:02am On Mar 07, 2022
efficiencie:

Anyway you may be right in a way but I do not yet have the perspective I need to look at the problem in the way you have presented it.

It’s going to take some time before I can apply what you have suggested to this situation, because whenever I share my success with her, like you mentioned, her behaviour actually becomes even worse.

It sounds funny but I sometimes get the feeling that she’s competing with me over something, but I don’t really know what. And at this stage it would be too costly for me to try to find out.

So actually I have to “abandon” her for a while because she hasn’t given me any other option.

I take your point though, thank you.
Re: My Mother’s Behaviour Is Unbearable by Kobojunkie: 4:03am On Mar 07, 2022
redrose88:
Well I do feel that there is a spiritual element to this but right now my focus is working out a good practical approach to this issue to prevent her doing me (and me doing myself) any further harm.

I believe that once my position becomes more settled I will have the capacity to consider everything from a spiritual angle without getting too distressed.
The Spiritual or God is not about feelings, so don't let those feelings fool you. undecided

There is no "spiritual angle" to everything. That lie is of the pagans and babalawos. For example, there is no spiritual angle to marriage as Jesus Christ made it more than clear that marriage is of this world and not of the Kingdom of God - Luke 20 vs 34 - 36 - so anyone who tells you that there is a spiritual angle to everything does not know nor serve Jesus Christ in any form. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

''help! She Took Our Plasma TV To Church As Seed Offering!'' / Funny Conversation I Had With A Colleague Today / Meet The Fastest Kid In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.