Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? (1155 Views)

Have You Tried Egusi Stew With White Rice? Yes There Is Egusi Stew For Rice / Russians Eating Egusi Soup And Eba For The First Time / Which Nigerian Local Rice Brand Is The Best ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? by Penguin2: 3:08pm On Feb 11, 2022
Egusi soup is my favorite soup.

Yes. I can eat it from January to December and not get tired of it.

So I saw Egusi soup with bitterleef ( I prefer mine with ugu or no vegetable at all) make front page and it made me start wondering which Nigerian tribe first started eating egusi before it became a national soup.

Like, we all know that Ewedu and Gbegiri are indigenous to Yoruba.

Ofe Nsala and Ogbono are Indigenous to Igbo.

Edikaikong, Afang and Atama are indigenous to Calabar and Akwa Ibom.

But I can’t really tell where Egusi originated.

Do you know?

Or is it an entire Africa thing?
Re: Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? by handelm: 3:10pm On Feb 11, 2022
Edo
Re: Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? by AsomArchitectNG(m): 3:10pm On Feb 11, 2022
No specific tribe as its a general soup

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? by Armaggedon: 3:13pm On Feb 11, 2022
Egwusi, okwuru and Ogbono are all Igbo soups that have gone global.
Some even call it a "national delicacy" (whatever that means)
Even the names are self evident

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? by mrvitalis(m): 3:13pm On Feb 11, 2022
I think I would say Edo or igala ..tho it's been adopted by every tribe
Just like everyone is adopting afang ..100 years time origin of afang would be difficult to determine
Re: Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? by Penguin2: 3:15pm On Feb 11, 2022
AsomArchitectNG:
No specific tribe as its a general soup

So it fell from the sky on all people?

Some people started cooking it first before others noticed it.

Just like Ewedu and Gbegiri is indigenous to Yoruba

Ofe Nsala is indigenous to Igbo

Edikaikong and Atama are indigenous to Calabar and Akwa Ibom.

So also is Egusi likely indigenous to some tribe.
Re: Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? by Emmypure: 5:06pm On Feb 11, 2022
I am ofe mmanu boy, but egusi is indigenous to igbo people
Re: Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? by ademijuwonlo(f): 9:01pm On Mar 10
Armaggedon:
Egwusi, okwuru and Ogbono are all Igbo soups that have gone global.
Some even call it a "national delicacy" (whatever that means)
Even the names are self evident

Egusi originated from Yoruba language. Ogbono soup in known in Yoruba land as apon soup.
You are welcome.

Re: Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? by Jewessgratitud3: 9:09pm On Mar 10
No tribe in particular. It is a universal food.

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Tribe Is Egusi Soup Indigenous To? by 1Sharon(f): 9:12pm On Mar 10
Penguin2:

So it fell from the sky on all people?

Some people started cooking it first before others noticed it.

Just like Ewedu and Gbegiri is indigenous to Yoruba

Ofe Nsala is indigenous to Igbo

Edikaikong and Atama are indigenous to Calabar and Akwa Ibom.

So also is Egusi likely indigenous to some tribe.

Egusi, just like jellof is eaten almost all over west Africa.

Ewedu is not unique to just yorubas.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10k Money Well Spent(photo) / Insecurity Will Intensify Food Crisis In 2023 / The Fight That Ensued In Mc Donalds Ohio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.