Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,096 members, 7,821,795 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? (6580 Views)

Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks / CBN Knocks Banks For Shunning Enaira / 4 Online Business That Are Profitable In Nigeria For Beginners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Rossikk(m): 4:02am On Feb 13, 2022
In Nigeria a man wearing Versace will look down on another wearing Aba-made clothes.

A woman will gladly pay 2 million naira for a Fendi or Gucci handbag, but scream blue murder when you charge her 100,000 naira for a locally made bag.

Local shoe and clothes/bags manufacturers have to label their products ''Made in Italy'', ''Made in China'', and even ''Made in India'', just to get NIGERIANS to buy them.

Pray, how will you ever develop, or become an advanced industrial power if you shun your local industrial products?

If you prefer to pay 1 million naira for a leather bag made in Italy, than pay 100,000 naira for an identical leather bag made in Nigeria?

That 1 million is going towards the already rich Italian economy (capital flight).

Money that should be oiling your economy.

Helping to expand your local industrial base.

Sending that money off to ITALY is a form of corruption.

The difference between you and the Chinese is that a Chinese man will rather buy an inferior ChinesE made version of a product than a similar one made in Germany or the USA or UK.

That was how their industries expanded - local patronage.

You are nation that loves to blame the government for all your problems.

Maybe it's also the government's fault that you reason like donkeys.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by MyExpression(m): 4:33am On Feb 13, 2022
Na sleep eye you use write this heading?

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by BruncleZuma: 4:34am On Feb 13, 2022
Trade or commerce works differently from how we perceive them, they follow the path of least resistance, meaning say if the foreign goods are cheaper, have better quality, easy to import and purchase than the locally manufactured and produced goods, logic follows that foreign goods would get bought over their locally manufactured or produced counterparts. There is no corruption in it especially given that our industries are either service based and extractive. (Toothpick, canned tomatoes, package garri etc no be wetin I dey talk about)

Make I go pray first, I dey come.

Op, from your heading to your post, none make sense, to add pepper to injury you still dey insult your country join just because you no sabi how anything works using a cheap phone that was not manufactured, coupled or produced in Nigeria, on a network that Nigeria's only contribution to is to collect licensing fees.

Most of the commenters sef no get sense, except to bash Nigerians and Africans with their foreign made phones umu aturu.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by AFONJAPIG(m): 4:35am On Feb 13, 2022
We have stupid people living in Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by owenjegede: 4:36am On Feb 13, 2022
This OP well at all. Which kind yeye heading be this ?
Who moved this crap to front page. ?

7 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by aremuforlife(m): 4:36am On Feb 13, 2022
Yes, it is corruption and it also contribute to what is killing pur local goods, but we still need to add value to our products as well.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by kroger: 4:36am On Feb 13, 2022
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by scait(m): 4:36am On Feb 13, 2022
MyExpression:
I tire oo.. e don turn my head cos I wan read heading

3 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Tannhauser(m): 4:36am On Feb 13, 2022
grin
Corruption is how a post whose heading causes early morning confusion found it's way to front page after only three replies.
grin

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by enemachris(m): 4:38am On Feb 13, 2022
God bless you for this topic OP. Africans and inferiority complex. They will never appreciate theirs.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by iscom(m): 4:39am On Feb 13, 2022
smiley
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by jaeyking(m): 4:40am On Feb 13, 2022
Lol this your heading get as e be

But sha, what Nigeria lacks is that the foreign industry should have an assembly plant or any of its industry in Nigeria

Better still Nigeria should start producing things that would entice foreign investment
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by AgriHub: 4:40am On Feb 13, 2022
Nawa. Was your last line really necessary. You have passed on a really beautiful message.

As much as patronising local content is good, but I feel that to each his own. If other countries thought same way, nobody will buy our own goods too. Moreover when you compare quality, Nigerian goods are no where close to their foreign counterparts. We will get there someday no doubt.

I import, sale and distribute Seminis Darina F1 cucumber seeds on wholesale prices.

3 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by ednut1(m): 4:42am On Feb 13, 2022
Blacks everywhere in the world dont have sense. Anything foreign is better even skin colour.its not corruption but lack of economic foresight

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Tannhauser(m): 4:42am On Feb 13, 2022
Having read through, I can conclude that you are probably a kid who thinks himself smarter than everyone else.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Realist12: 5:03am On Feb 13, 2022
Respect to the OP as Africans we have buy more of our own products. Soon as we consume our own products more it creates a great self awareness that way we can have economic liberty and independence.
The foreign culture we exalt is what's limiting our industrialization.

5 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by ceaser: 5:05am On Feb 13, 2022
The only Nigerian produce that I will love to shun is Dangote PAN and oil, if possible. Of course, choices abound regarding the automobile, but the idea is challenging when it comes to the cement because those five consortiums that manufacture cement in Nigeria have Dangote as a deciding factor of their prices as they prefer to hide behind Dangote's greed to also showcase their own greed, so the concept of competition driving down prices is already defeated.

As per the oil, well combined global auto sales have been superceded by the BEV (battery electric vehicle) sector than the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine). This is even expected to be greater this year with the plan of the EU to migrate from ICE to full BEVs by 2029. And since you can trust Nigerians' resilience to quickly latch onto global trends much faster than their other African counterparts, I am optimistic that a number of us, will be getting BEVs this year to reduce our reliance on PMS and escaping Dangote's Jaws.

You may say that NEPA will be needed to charge it. But some of us have been non reliant on NEPA for more than 6 years now and the experience has been quite good. The sun is freely given by the divine, unless Nigerian government starts to tax users of solar energy (and of course you can't take this past the wicked Nigerian government). To charge your EV, you only need to consider upgrading an existing solar system to a capacity that will support EV charging.

As per his Spaghetti, macaroni, etc, thank goodness Nigerians have a lot of choices in this sector and that is why Dangote has not been able to really succeed in that sector, the government protection he enjoys have been unable to earn him so much monopoly in the food sector. He almost got away with Dangote sugar but for that other strong guy in the sector (can't remember his name now). He also hasn't been able to make a monopoly with salt.

3 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by ShaqFu: 5:08am On Feb 13, 2022
Well I understand where you're coming from OP but the truth is, there is something fundamentally wrong with we Nigerians.

I tell you this, the cobbler you patronise all the time will one day insult you, when you complain that the shoe he made for you isn't good. Fancy Gucci or Versace insulting their customers even if it's the cheapest brand the customer bought.

1 Like

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by lexy2014: 5:16am On Feb 13, 2022
Rossikk:
In Nigeria a man wearing Versace will look down on another wearing Aba-made clothes.

A woman will gladly pay 2 million naira for a Fendi or Gucci handbag, but scream blue murder when you charge her 100,000 naira for a locally made bag.

Local shoe and clothes/bags manufacturers have to label their products ''Made in Italy'', ''Made in China'', and even ''Made in India'', just to get NIGERIANS to buy them.

Pray, how will you ever develop, or become an advanced industrial power if you shun your local industrial products?

If you prefer to pay 1 million naira for a leather bag made in Italy, than pay 100,000 naira for an identical leather bag made in Nigeria?

That 1 million is going towards the already rich Italian economy (capital flight).

The difference between you and the Chinese is that a Chinese man will rather buy an inferior ChinesE made version of a product than a similar one made in Germany or the USA or UK.

You are nation that loves to blame the government for all your problems.

Pls what is the definition of corruption and how does it relate to all you wrote?

3 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Younghacka(m): 5:16am On Feb 13, 2022
MyExpression:
The One Wey Tire Me Pass Nah The Mod Wey Push And Go FrontPage With The Same Heading. . .
All These Cut And Nail Mods Self.

1 Like

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by pacespot(m): 5:19am On Feb 13, 2022
Hmm. I think it all comes down to the classist nature of black people generally, reason why slavery and colonialism were so successful for Europeans in Africa. A black man thinks that anybody who has something he could not afford but would love to have is superior to him.

When i was a kid, I used to join the bandwagon of people calling some goods "original" and others as "fake". Let me tell those who are still following that bandwagon today about the reality of manufacturing that many people don't realize yet in this part of the world: any manufacturer who can produce a "fake" good can also produce the so called "original". Most of the divergence in product quality that we see are due to the manufacturer trying to minimize costs in the production process by producing a little substandard product that will serve the same purpose as the current one in order to sell at the current competitive market price.

"Made in Nigeria" products are no inferior to "Made in Italy" products, the only difference is that Italian products might have gained the larger portion of the market which a Nigerian firm is competing for and which allows the Italian to maintain high product quality at the fairly competitive market price. This is not to mention the technological advantage that the Italian now has thanks to the numerous tweaks and turns in manufacturing because of a larger balance sheet that enables it to afford it.

So, for a Nigerian firm to gain access into the market, it requires Nigerian consumers to switch allegiance from the Italian made to the locally manufactured goods to help the Nigerian firm build the base for a more competitive and better quality product.

Take for instance, "Made in China" products were associated with inferiority many years ago, but market was still accessible to them thanks to the much cheaper rates they were sold compared to European made. Because of that patronage, Chinese firms were able to build a much bigger balance sheet than their European competitors which translated into improved product quality and still bigger market share because of the fairly competitive prices their products were sold. Today, China produces everything.

If anybody has read about "economies of scale", they will understand why China is dominating the world today.

5 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Peacezone000(m): 5:19am On Feb 13, 2022
Why use insultive word after passing the message? You are no different from dos looking down on local made products. May you find peace within your heart.

2 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by HilcomTech(m): 5:20am On Feb 13, 2022
It might not be corruption but it is a form of acute disloyalty and self destruction
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by dasparrow: 5:28am On Feb 13, 2022
It is called inferiority complex not corruption.
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by badaru911: 5:37am On Feb 13, 2022
Rossikk:

... Well... Those designers you mentioned are very expensive.... But there are some, even many but their names are not popular but their products are very good and cheap or affordable to everyone, including the poor... Made in Nigeria bags or shoes are not up to standard, just use them for less than a month and discard them... Some of those substandard products are even expensive or competing with the price of a good standard unknown designers products from abroad.. People are looking for quality and not expensive products... I bought a new Nigeria shoe, I didn't use it for more than a month, the sole compressed and the leather got wrinkles like an old angry man. I have to drop it when the sole of my feet started showing... I bought another shoe on Amazon, unknown designer and affordable ( the price is a little bit more than the Nigerian shoe)... I've been wearing the shoe for more than one and half year and it still ok and good...

3 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Arabaincubus: 5:45am On Feb 13, 2022
Then President Buhari's foreign medical treatment awards him the status of the most corrupt.
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by o9o9: 5:53am On Feb 13, 2022
Used to want to patronise Nigerian clothing and shoes but never again.

90% of Nigerian tailors who sew clothes for men can't even get the ass crack settings on a trousers or even the armpit right. You either get extremely tight clothes you can't even bend in it. Bought multiple $83 to $100 shoe from local makers and till today they were the worst shoes i ever bought. I had pains in my back leg just for wearing them. They are either too clunky , heavy or they don't understand the concept of shoe confort and just think the pad in between soles are just there for decoration. But they know how to put outrageous prices on such bad shoes.

My average Giorgio brutini shoes cost me $60 but i can wear them for 5 years and they perfectly fit and don't cause me sole pains.

Why should i waste money on such purchases? And this isn't a me thing alone . Just talk a walk on the street, ask any male wearing locally made clothes to raise up their hands abruptly and see the upper wear tear from the armpit for most.

5 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Awoleesu(m): 6:07am On Feb 13, 2022
Rossikk:

That 1 million is going towards the already rich Italian economy (capital flight). Negative Multiplier effect.

The difference between you and the Chinese is that a Chinese man will rather buy an inferior ChinesE
China made version of a product than a similar one made in Germany or the USA or UK.

You are nation a citizen that loves to blame the government for all your problems.

*Xenocentrism
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Nikkganc08(m): 6:17am On Feb 13, 2022
People should be allowed to make their choices.

To spend their money how they feel like and on what they feel like without restrictions.

After all, u can't tell me that our president eats local rice.

His shoes are foreign and expensive (in millions of naira)

When sick, he seeks for 'foreign' medical attention.

His kids are all studying in foreign lands.

Same applies to other politicians.

If the locally made products are good enough in terms of Quality, quantity and price...

You wouldn't need to enforce its usage and adoption.

People would go for it naturally instead of its foreign counterparts.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Wakanakarue: 6:18am On Feb 13, 2022
I always love to patronise our local product because there's this pride that comes with it. The problem is that they want to sell local product for the same price as zara and then they will tell brag that theirs is better.... Like wtf?

Pride cometh before a fall.

When you now purchase the said product, before 2months you will watch your hard earned money fade away just like that.
You complain about the product they get upset.

But to aba and buy good China quality it will be way cheaper and serve you for many months and still in good shape.

2 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by mycar: 6:24am On Feb 13, 2022
As for me, na d fitting wey the thing give na e matter and not the country of production.
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Born2conquer: 6:24am On Feb 13, 2022
Nigerians are proving themselves to be unreliable, everybody want to make unrealistic gains from the smallest job.

Give a bricklayer 50naira for a job and he will be thinking how he can corner 35naira for himself and use 15naira for the job.

Buy a nigeria designer bag and the bag would be falling apart in less than 1 year.

Buy a made in Nigeria herbal medicine with nafdac approval and you would be scared to use it because 90% do not care about the health of the users, just their profit.

But a made in Nigeria organic cream and the cream would end up destroying your skin.

Go to a therapist in Nigeria and you will discover that youe therapist needs a Therapy.

Pay for LAND and the landlord would sell non exiting land to you.

Pay for paints for yoir property and the paint would start fading off in weeks.

BUYING MADE IN NIGERIA IS NOT THE PROBLEM BUT MOST ARE INTENTIONALLY PRODUCED TO BE SUBSTANDARD SO THEY COULD MAKE MORE GAIN.

Guess what? They're always expensive and more expensive compared to the foreign one sef
Work hard and import your products from a foreign brand and you won't have to worry about changing that product in years!

Made in Nigeria cements no even stick wella again

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buying Skrill Funds. / Financial Derivatives / Pls Is It Reliable To Invest In Hyips Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.