Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,844 members, 7,820,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? (6578 Views)

Tax Clearance Certificate Required For Foreign Exchange Transactions In Banks / CBN Knocks Banks For Shunning Enaira / 4 Online Business That Are Profitable In Nigeria For Beginners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Born2conquer: 6:27am On Feb 13, 2022
o9o9:
Used to want to patronise Nigerian clothing and shoes but never again.

90% of Nigerian tailors who sew clothes for men can't even get the ass crack settings on a trousers or even the armpit right. You either get extremely tight clothes you can't even bend in it. Bought multiple $83 to $100 shoe from local makers and till today they were the worst shoes i ever bought. I had pains in my back leg just for wearing them. They are either too clunky , heavy or they don't understand the concept of shoe confort and just think the pad in between soles are just there for decoration. But they know how to put outrageous prices on such bad shoes.

My average Giorgio brutini shoes cost me $60 but i can wear them for 5 years and they perfectly fit and don't cause me sole pains.

Why should i waste money on such purchases? And this isn't a me thing alone . Just talk a walk on the street, ask any male wearing locally made clothes to raise up their hands abruptly and see the upper wear tear from the armpit for most.
One thing is paying for a Nigeria made product another thing is them getting it right, them delivering exactly what you ordered.

Sad thing is that there's no regulatory body in Nigerua

1 Like

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Odani: 6:32am On Feb 13, 2022
BruncleZuma:
Trade or commerce works differently from how we perceive them, they follow the path of least resistance, meaning say if the foreign goods are cheaper, have better quality, easy to import and purchase than the locally manufactured and produced goods, logic follows that foreign goods would get bought over their locally manufactured or produced counterparts. There is no corruption in it especially given that our industries are either service based and extractive. (Toothpick, canned tomatoes, package garri etc no be wetin I dey talk about)

Make I go pray first, I dey come.

Op, from your heading to your post none make sense, to add pepper to injury you still dey insult your country join just because you no sabi how anything works using a cheap phone that was not manufactured, coupled or produced in Nigeria, on a network that Nigeria's only contribution is to collect licensing fees.

Most of the commenters sef no get sense, except to bash Nigerians and Africans with their foreign made phones umu aturu.

My thoughts exactly but pipo wudnt read wat gives yhem knows. A very vid point made, also ask the Op wat processes do these locally made goods go thru? We have no test industries to check d validity and/or to make modifications to the products.

You just go to d market put a few piece of materials 2geda and put one expensive label on it n tell me to pay 100k for it. Na by label?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Born2conquer: 6:33am On Feb 13, 2022
Nikkganc08:
People should be allowed to make their choices.

To spend their money how they feel like and on what they feel like without restrictions.

After all, u can't tell me that our president eats local rice.

His shoes are foreign and expensive (in millions of naira)

When sick, he seeks for 'foreign' medical attention.

His kids are all studying in foreign lands.

Same applies to other politicians.

If the locally made products are good enough in terms of Quality, quantity and price...

You wouldn't need to enforce its usage and adoption.

People would go for it naturally instead of its foreign counterparts.
When i got to kano, i was eating the local rice but sand/stone nearly spoilt my mouth, it was scary eating rice because you can't predict when the stone would come in.

I calmly added extea 400naira to my budget and i started buying the foreign rice.

How much would it cost the local producers to destone the rice? The sellers are also fraudulent because all of them would insist that the "local rice" is stone free but man, i kid you not! It's a quarry.

A foreign rice claiming stone free would be stone free.
A local rice claiming stone free, lmao

2 Likes

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by GemUnique(m): 6:43am On Feb 13, 2022
Anti-nationalism is a better word here
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by InoGetJoy: 7:04am On Feb 13, 2022
o9o9:
Used to want to patronise Nigerian clothing and shoes but never again.

90% of Nigerian tailors who sew clothes for men can't even get the ass crack settings on a trousers or even the armpit right. You either get extremely tight clothes you can't even bend in it. Bought multiple $83 to $100 shoe from local makers and till today they were the worst shoes i ever bought. I had pains in my back leg just for wearing them. They are either too clunky , heavy or they don't understand the concept of shoe confort and just think the pad in between soles are just there for decoration. But they know how to put outrageous prices on such bad shoes.

My average Giorgio brutini shoes cost me $60 but i can wear them for 5 years and they perfectly fit and don't cause me sole pains.

Why should i waste money on such purchases? And this isn't a me thing alone . Just talk a walk on the street, ask any male wearing locally made clothes to raise up their hands abruptly and see the upper wear tear from the armpit for most.
Everything depends on the quality of the item you bought, not necessarily because they're Nigerian made. I have an Aba-made sandal that I bought 3 years ago and it's still like new. Same as a shoe bought 2 years ago. Just like foreign products, Nigerian-made products have different qualities so it's always best to go and buy with someone who has good knowledge on the items.
A friend of mine wanted to buy a set of couches for his sitting room. A carpenter in Imo State sent him a quote of ₦1,300,000 and the man declined and opted to import from Turkey. He did at almost ₦5,000,000. Those seats have lasted 6 years now. Last year, he wanted to change the leather on 1 of the seats as his baby had destroyed the leather with pen. He took the seats to a carpenter and, when the leather was removed, we found the label of that same company of the carpenter who had given him ₦1.3M quote. Turned out that the company also exports their couches. My man mad

1 Like

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Bahamas95(m): 7:04am On Feb 13, 2022
"By their fruits you shall know them."

You don't need a prophet or babalawo to tell you this OP is insultive in nature..... Even his character wont make customers patronize him if he's a shop owner. Though I don't know him in person but I can feel his annoying nature in my spirit.
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by quickly: 7:22am On Feb 13, 2022
Rossikk:
In Nigeria a man wearing Versace will look down on another wearing Aba-made clothes.

A woman will gladly pay 2 million naira for a Fendi or Gucci handbag, but scream blue murder when you charge her 100,000 naira for a locally made bag.

Local shoe and clothes/bags manufacturers have to label their products ''Made in Italy'', ''Made in China'', and even ''Made in India'', just to get NIGERIANS to buy them.

Pray, how will you ever develop, or become an advanced industrial power if you shun your local industrial products?

If you prefer to pay 1 million naira for a leather bag made in Italy, than pay 100,000 naira for an identical leather bag made in Nigeria?

That 1 million is going towards the already rich Italian economy (capital flight).

Money that should be oiling your economy.

Helping to expand your local industrial base.

Sending that money off to ITALY is a form of corruption.

The difference between you and the Chinese is that a Chinese man will rather buy an inferior ChinesE made version of a product than a similar one made in Germany or the USA or UK.

That was how their industries expanded - local patronage.

You are nation that loves to blame the government for all your problems.

Maybe it's also the government's fault that you reason like donkeys.

It’s not corruption per say but u are definitely not helping the economy.
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by BruncleZuma: 7:27am On Feb 13, 2022
Odani:

My thoughts exactly but pipo wudnt read wat gives yhem knows. A very vid point made, also ask the Op wat processes do these locally made goods go thru? We have no test industries to check d validity and/or to make modifications to the products.

You just go to d market put a few piece of materials 2geda and put one expensive label on it n tell me to pay 100k for it. Na by label?

He'd tell you Standards Organisation of Nigeria.
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by NGArmyTerrorist: 7:40am On Feb 13, 2022
It is corruption for you as a local manufacturer to use a material meant to produce two items to produce 10 items thereby making the item lose its quality. This is one in d millions of reasons why people prefer foreign things than locally made ones. Thanks
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Nobody: 7:45am On Feb 13, 2022
Not necessarily if it’s good people will buy it if it’s substandard it will sit on the shelf.

I buy where I am treated right and sadly foreigners do a better job in making you feel welcome than people across the street or in the market there are only a few that you feel at peace buying from.

Let’s look at the car scam the fluid was wrong and the pump was rigged so you’d think you need a valve body how much is the valve body 300k how much is the fluid 19k

There are lovely tailors I patronize locally though and even when I buy foreign stuff I’m at the sales rack

There’s this lady I knew bespoke tailoring God rest her soul her outfits are priced the way it looks and she got away with it.
Get someone popular to wear or support your brand and that’s all you need a tik tok video can make your product a star

Our minister of informations daughter makes exclusive dresses that go well with elegant shots I patronize from time to time when money is there. In kaduna not ashamed to say I have shopped in a clothes market

1 Like

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by rajiedreez: 7:47am On Feb 13, 2022
You get some facts totally wrong
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by CodifiedNiqaabi: 8:37am On Feb 13, 2022
It's really a sad one... It's absolutely not helping our economy or growth.

Yes, these manufacturers aren't perfect like the foreigners but Rome wasn't built in a day. Those foreign brands didn't get it right all at once. It took years of trials and errors and patience with loyalty from their country people.

Patriotism is long lost
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Moh11(m): 9:07am On Feb 13, 2022
No!!
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by omoadeleye(m): 9:16am On Feb 13, 2022
Nigerians too should make standard items not those junkies...
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by omohayek: 9:22am On Feb 13, 2022
The OP's entire premise is ridiculous, seeing as the choice of whether one buys local or foreign products has absolutely nothing to do with corruption! Corruption is the usage of government power for private self-enrichment, and ordinary consumers choosing to spend their hard-earned money at some business over another are engaging in purely private transactions, and by definition cannot be behaving corruptly. All the OP is trying to do is advocate for the same old economically illiterate protectionism that has gotten Nigeria nowhere over the last 62 years, by trying to indiscriminately tar anyone who prefers to buy foreign products with the brush of "corruption", as if anybody had any sort of moral obligation to spend the fruit of their own private efforts on things they find inferior simply because they are stamped "Made in Nigeria".

Here's a newsflash for you, OP, and all the other economic illiterates cheering on your silly crusade: nobody owes anyone else a living simply by dint of sharing a passport. Nobody has an obligation to squander the hard-earned sweat of their brow on goods and services that fail to inspire their confidence and interest simply because those offering said goods and services share an international border. What I as a private person who has worked for my money choose to do with that money is entirely my business, and not for some "patriotic" [sic] busybodies to butt their heads into.

OP, if you want people to buy "Made in Nigeria" so badly, then the right way to do it is to improve the quality of made in Nigeria goods and services, not by lecturing and moralizing. "Made in China" used to be a bad joke up until the last 20 years ago, just as "Made in Korea" was an excuse for laughter 30 years ago, and "Made in Japan" was cause for dismissal 60 years ago, and all of these countries have drastically turned things around by constantly raising the quality of their wares, which increased their reputation and trust in their offerings, both at home and abroad. Now nobody in South Korea or anywhere else needs to be scolded into buying a South Korean HDTV or car, because that trust has been earned the hard way. In typical "entitled, lazy and greedy Nigerian" fashion, what the OP wants is to short-circuit all that effort by brow-beating the rest of his countrymen into paying for things they almost always rightly suspect to be inferior.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 9:53am On Feb 13, 2022
The statement 'buy Nigeria to grow Nigeria' is quite hypocritical.

1. Those who front the anthem in most cases rarely walk the talk. A case in point is the Senate ditching Innoson for imported cars.

2. Most Nigerians have been conditioned that once it's imported, it's of the highest quality thereby leaving the Nigerian product out of the equation.

N.B: This might be comical but it's only few that can spot the difference between a Made In Nigeria and its imported counterpart. Some products look alike that you'll need more than a peering eyes of Sherlock Holmes to differentiate them.
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by brain54(m): 10:02am On Feb 13, 2022
I like the angle you are coming from...its always good to patronize the local industries. This is a sure way to grow the economy and make the naira stronger.
Its also boost the local technology. No nation can develop without looking inward to build on its local technology. 7
But to answer your question...no it is not corruption...its just preference. It's my money...i can buy whatever i want with it as long as the goods aren't contraband or illegal. Or there is no law banning the importing of such goods.
However its always wiser to think deeper and grow the economy by buying locally made goods.,rather than always blame the government. We as citizens and individuals have a role to play in nation building. Perhaps a bigger role than our leaders who are a minority as compared to the rest of the populace.

1 Like

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by phemmyfour: 10:31am On Feb 13, 2022
Rossikk:
In Nigeria a man wearing Versace will look down on another wearing Aba-made clothes.

A woman will gladly pay 2 million naira for a Fendi or Gucci handbag, but scream blue murder when you charge her 100,000 naira for a locally made bag.

Local shoe and clothes/bags manufacturers have to label their products ''Made in Italy'', ''Made in China'', and even ''Made in India'', just to get NIGERIANS to buy them.

Pray, how will you ever develop, or become an advanced industrial power if you shun your local industrial products?

If you prefer to pay 1 million naira for a leather bag made in Italy, than pay 100,000 naira for an identical leather bag made in Nigeria?

That 1 million is going towards the already rich Italian economy (capital flight).

Money that should be oiling your economy.

Helping to expand your local industrial base.

Sending that money off to ITALY is a form of corruption.

The difference between you and the Chinese is that a Chinese man will rather buy an inferior ChinesE made version of a product than a similar one made in Germany or the USA or UK.

That was how their industries expanded - local patronage.

You are nation that loves to blame the government for all your problems.

Maybe it's also the government's fault that you reason like donkeys.

No....There is no crime in choosing quality over inferiors

1 Like

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by EbiJUNIRO(m): 10:43am On Feb 13, 2022
It becomes corruption if funds are released for foreign made purchase all in the name of shunning Nigerian made, then go back to the home made coded.

Now, that's corruption.
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by PAQ(m): 1:22pm On Feb 13, 2022
Corruption, is when one uses his/her position to gain undue advantage, be it cash or kind! Patronising another country's goods & services is not corruption but choice. At most call is unpatriotic but not curroption.

Comparing Nigeria & China is wrong, China has been an industrious trade & producing nation for thousands of years with over 3500 years of written history, the oldest in the world. I am sure you havent heard of the silk road.

Nigeria has the capacity to make good products & deliver good services but the marketing module is wrong and not persuasive enough, that is why people shun them. Due to high cost of production competitive pricing is also an issue. A good cobbler makes a shoe, because its well made he prices it like tested & trusted brands, locally assembled cars are priced as high as International brands. Who wants to buy an unknown brand same price as known brands? Only the rich & Govt.

In the mobile phone industry, when the Chinese broke in they started with cheap phones, Xiaomi had the cheapest all round phones, when they gained ground they started raising their prices, now they have phones as expensive as IPhones, same as Oneplus, Huawei etc Tata in India currently makes the cheapest cars in the world. When Nigerians produce something their target is the rich & government, not the masses. Very wrong marketing, how will they grow?

Upon all their technological feats, China has the highest users of Iphones and also the highest users of Mercedes Benz(google it), does that make them unpatriotic?

If our goods & services are reasonably priced, Nigerians will patronise them, they should start small then gradually increase price as they gain popularity & trust. But they all want instant gains. Xiaomi hardly made profits on their mobile phones for years, now they are world number 4.

1 Like

Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by Aaay: 3:56pm On Feb 13, 2022
grin
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by yinkbell: 3:58pm On Feb 13, 2022
Pls., Let's not carry patriotism for our heads and ignore the truth. Any goods going to the market must pass a Quality Assurance test. Standard companies weather in Africa or overseas know the implication of legal action if substandard goods are pushed to the market.
Product gets better over time and I know wt time, made in Nigeria products will improve. For how long will made in Nigeria improve when there is no support from government to improve SMEs? Nobody likes to take is money to market and buy what will not last longer or what will cause damages to ones property.
Some people prefer to pay more to get quality than substandard that will later give them headache. Imagine buying made in Nigeria electronic cables for ur house conduit. Will u be at peace wt that? Even common slippers made by our local cobler will have one coma or the other. I don't condemn them, they are not getting enough support from the government.
Re: Is Shunning Made In Nigeria For Foreign Products Corruption? by PureNigerian: 4:35pm On Feb 13, 2022
It is not corruption but foolishness

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Give Me Info On Haulage Business In Nigeria / Video Of How To Produce Liquid Soap, Bar Soap, Detergent, Pomade, Air Freshener / List Of Online Businesses In Nigeria That Pays

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.