Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. (1321 Views)

Poll: Should there be legislation in Nigeria against polygamy?

Yes, of course: 50% (2 votes)
Never: 50% (2 votes)
Not time for that yet: 0% (0 votes)
Undecided: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Wife Asks Our Son To Beat Me Up Anytime We Quarrel —pastor Tells Court / Would You Tell Your Spouse You Cheated If The Lord Asks You To? / If Your Husband Asks You To Dress More Sexily At Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by Chiori(m): 10:52pm On Aug 01, 2007
1) What's your take on polygamy? Shouldn't there be legislation against it by now in Nigeria?

2) And what would you do if your wife were among those asking you to take on a second?
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by English1(f): 12:19am On Aug 02, 2007
1. Not my business

2. I'd have to cry because for a woman to urge me to take another wife it must mean she can't stand me any more! cry
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by olanajim(m): 5:35am On Aug 03, 2007
1, first there can never be legislation against polygamy in Nigeria as long as the muslims and traditionalists are in Nigeria. It is a wishful thinking. Go and see what happened to child right bill among others. Or why do you think shariah generated so much controversy and only become a state law when we have a christain president?

2, if my wife ask me to take a second wife, the first thing i will do is to find our if she is in her right sense. Other thing would follow later.
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by Chiori(m): 5:39am On Aug 03, 2007
1. Modern Islam (Sunni) makes no room for polygamy, so I was told by a Sunni in Algiers.

2. Suppose she's unable to bear you children and is finding a way out?
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by olanajim(m): 8:52am On Aug 03, 2007
Modern Islam? I guess a nex quran is written.
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by olanajim(m): 8:52am On Aug 03, 2007
Modern Islam? I guess a nex quran is written. Praise the lord!
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by Chiori(m): 4:42am On Aug 04, 2007
no, not new quran, but fresh ways of interpreting it
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by olanajim(m): 5:18pm On Aug 04, 2007
Hard to sell.
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by osereka(m): 8:23pm On Aug 04, 2007
a woman can ask her man to take a second wifey for many reasons
so if my woman ask me to do it, I will ask for her reason. if am ok with it I can give it a thougth.
for those of you that are not married, is better to shut up when we are dicussing issues like this.
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by nana(f): 8:32pm On Aug 04, 2007
osereka:

a woman can ask her man to take a second wifey for many reasons
so if my woman ask me to do it, I will ask for her reason. if am ok with it I can give it a thougth.
for those of you that are not married, is better to shut up when we are dicussing issues like this.

Na yam abi na beans? tongue
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by osereka(m): 8:39pm On Aug 04, 2007
wen you mari u go know
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by nana(f): 8:40pm On Aug 04, 2007
lol. . .ok
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by osereka(m): 8:42pm On Aug 04, 2007
shebi I don tell u say if u are not married make u shut up!
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by nana(f): 8:45pm On Aug 04, 2007
You no fit tell me say make i shut up!At least the person wey start d topic no restrict am to only married people.
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by osereka(m): 8:57pm On Aug 04, 2007
londoner, u sef de yarn pigin grin
ok
am kool with that
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by Chiori(m): 9:15pm On Aug 04, 2007
abeg no shut up the unmarried, i still dey there.
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by olanajim(m): 12:28am On Aug 05, 2007
Shut up? That is good. But we are typing not talking. The unmarried should therefore shut up but keep typing with their fingers. By the way, when had married people become custodian of knowledge relating to marriage? Do you want the bachelors to wait till marriage before learning the basic of marriage?

I beg let them shut up, but let them type on.

On the topic, taking a second wife on insistence of the first wife, is something that would provoke deep thought from a responsible husband. It is tempting yet would require the man to protect the old wife.

One of the reasons that may be brought foward is bareness. Another reason is old age. These two are the most common. A baren woman who love her husband may want to free the man from external pressure, among others by proposing to allow the man take a second wife. Abraham the friend of God had that experience, when Sarah asked him to marry her slave. We should take a cue from Abraham life. He didn't jump at the offer. He was patience. And when Hajar conceived, Sarah didn't lose her right. At a stage, Sarah ordered her husband to send Hajar and son away and, he did! These are all a test of faith.

Personally, if my wife want a second wife, I would look at the reasons brought forward. If it has merrit and could strenghten us, I would oblige her. But, the new wife, would have to realize that, my first wife is her 'husband' whatever happen, the man must forever show the first wife that he respect her. Of course, with common sense.
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by Chiori(m): 12:56am On Aug 05, 2007
easier said than done. i would not even touch the suggestion with a long pole. i don't want complications in this my simple life
Re: Polygamy, If Your Wife Asks You To. by DameGambrosia: 5:38am On Jan 29, 2013
Who gives a phock? undecided
My life does not revolve around one man and his pehnis o!
Shioooooooooooor!!! cool

(1) (Reply)

What Can We Call This Love Or Hate / God's Advice For Marriage / Ten Questions HusbandS Should Ask Annually

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.