Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning (29223 Views)

Words And Acronyms That Gained Popularity In Year 2020. / Four Different, But Confusing Words: / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Nwaajasa: 9:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
Akwa/Cry
Akwa/Cloth
Akwa/Egg
Akwa/Bed
Akwa/Bridge
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by uncleck: 9:12pm On Feb 16, 2022
Enquiry/Inquiry
Bath/Bathe
Elusive/Illusive
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Walkee: 9:13pm On Feb 16, 2022
lanchy:
Here is one, I hope people know the difference.

One is a Noun, the other is a verb, but which is which

License/Licence

Advise/Advice
anyone with s is the verb while the one with c is the noun

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by donsheddy1(m): 9:17pm On Feb 16, 2022
Exit & Exeat
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by justt: 9:28pm On Feb 16, 2022
What of words when same spelling but different meanings such as:

Effect: to carry out (e.g. you need to effect the corrections as soon as possible)
Effect: impact/consequence (e.g. She's yet to fully recover from the effects of the drug)

Impact: effect
Impact: affect

Conduct: Behaviour (e.g. this conduct is not acceptable here)
Conduct: to carry out (e.g. we need to conduct the surgery now)

Sanction: an approval
Sanction: to penalize

Compromise: to lower your value
Compromise: to reach an agreement

IamV:
You got those pairs of words you think English learners may have tough time differentiating which from which, especially during writing,please drop them here.
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

An artist is a person who draws,paints or makes carves,while an artiste is a public performer , especially songs or dance.

-seize / cease

Seize means to take possession of something using force or violence,while cease means to bring something to an end or stop.

- stationary / stationery;

Stationary is a condition in which an object or something is not experiencing motion. It's stagnant. While stationery are basically your writing materials, office materials.

- Illegible / Eligible;

Illegible is a situation where something or a writing is not clear enough to be read, while eligible means meeting the necessary conditions or qualifications to participate for something.

Moral / morale;

Moral relates to principle of right and wrong in behaviour,while morale is about the level of belief ,determination and confidence a person or group of persons have at a given time.

Do you have any?
List if you do, e will love to learn them.

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by BigSix: 9:37pm On Feb 16, 2022
Sun Son
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by CaptainFM1: 9:47pm On Feb 16, 2022
OmoOshodi:
grin

Zah Zuh Zeh --- meaning ( otun ti Zeh)

Igba( 200)
Igba (season)
Igba (calabash)
Igba (garden egg)

You have to put the strokes on buddy.
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by YellowMayor(m): 10:35pm On Feb 16, 2022
Interesting
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by YellowMayor(m): 10:38pm On Feb 16, 2022
Now completed tongue

phoneport:
Me thought it should be confusing like this grin grin grin

Kanu / IPOB
Kyari / Corrupt
Thief / Nubu
No Fuel / NNPC
Buhari / Senseless
Jonathan / Clueless
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by thatigboman1: 10:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
Munzy14:

Yes ooo..
Happy New year.

Happy Valentine's day

And happy Easter in advance...

Kedu?
we are good. God bless

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by thatigboman1: 10:50pm On Feb 16, 2022
jclassiq:

Yeah. Lmao
yes o, tnx. So u see im igbo man through and through. Thanx for that challenge. egbe/egbe -both are supposed to be same thingnas. Until start saying uda enu, ude ana. Igbo is a beautiful language

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by davidque: 10:59pm On Feb 16, 2022
IamV:
You got those pairs of words you think English learners may have tough time differentiating which from which, especially during writing,please drop them here.
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

An artist is a person who draws,paints or makes carves,while an artiste is a public performer , especially songs or dance.

-seize / cease

Seize means to take possession of something using force or violence,while cease means to bring something to an end or stop.

Stationary is a condition in which an object or something is not experiencing motion. It's stagnant. While stationery are basically your writing materials, office materials.

- Illegible / Eligible;

Illegible is a situation where something or a writing is not clear enough to be read, while eligible means meeting the necessary conditions or qualifications to participate for something.

Moral / morale;

Moral relates to principle of right and wrong in behaviour,while morale is about the level of belief ,determination and confidence a person or group of persons have at a given time.

Do you have any?

Most useful and educative post on nairaland

2 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by emmabest2000(m): 11:27pm On Feb 16, 2022
IamV:
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

-seize / cease

- Illegible / Eligible;

Moral / morale;

Do you have any?

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Kennydoc(m): 11:29pm On Feb 16, 2022
Suit and suite
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Nobody: 11:44pm On Feb 16, 2022
Walkee:
been is past participle.
If you ever see have, had or has, just know that you MUST use been. That's almost only when you should use been
I have been waiting for you
He has been my assistant for the past two weeks
She had already been out for 2 hours when I got back.

You should use being if there's is, are, am, was, were

I think I am being followed
He is being strong headed

Wowwww this is explicit enough. Only a Mollusc will not understand. Thank you boss
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by CoronaVirusPro: 12:50am On Feb 17, 2022
Edoziesmart:

Which language is this bro?

Igbo
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by 1824fu: 2:12am On Feb 17, 2022
[s]
helinues:
grin

Were/were

One is past tense of Are

While the second one is for mad person

[/s]
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by 1824fu: 2:15am On Feb 17, 2022
[s]
helinues:

Fits me Wella gan

The inspiration na were ....

cheesy
[/s]
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by 1824fu: 2:16am On Feb 17, 2022
[s]
helinues:

God bless you too abundantly self..
[/s]
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Munzy14(m): 5:50am On Feb 17, 2022
thatigboman1:
we are good. God bless
Amen
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Cindy08: 6:38am On Feb 17, 2022
this is the best post i have ever seen on nairaland,i've actually learned alot thanks op.

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by kernniejay(m): 7:40am On Feb 17, 2022
FalseProphet1:
Eight... Number
Ate. Past tense of eat.

Red... colour
Read. To read a book.
And so on and so forth.
To my members on line, I see no prophecies concerning this post.
This I have seen.
First time in history where Fake prophet will see no vision.
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by BAYOCLEF: 8:06am On Feb 17, 2022
This is North America

This is Not America
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Olasewerewole: 8:55am On Feb 17, 2022
Great
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by yetty247(f): 9:04am On Feb 17, 2022
Breakfast
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by kemjoe: 9:37am On Feb 17, 2022
Aid/Aide
Rational/Rationale
Read/Read
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by gidado14(m): 9:52am On Feb 17, 2022
IamV:
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

-seize / cease

- Illegible / Eligible;

Moral / morale;

Do you have any?

Biafra /President
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by yMcy56(f): 12:50pm On Feb 17, 2022
Crieff:
Do you mind having noodles for dinner?

Yes I do mind
Yes I don't mind
No I don't mind
No I do mind
A. Means: No, I don't want noodles
B: Wrong to answer this way
C: Means: Yes, I want.
D: Wrong answer

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by yMcy56(f): 12:52pm On Feb 17, 2022
tchidi066:
No, I don't mind(I actually want noodles)
Yes, I do mind(I don't want noodles)
Correct.

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Pelumar(m): 1:55pm On Feb 17, 2022
Thank you so much it mean a lot
SmartPolician:

Their means someone or people own or have something.

Examples,

1. She is their first daughter. (It means the lady is owned by the unnamed parents).

2. Their house is just two streets away from mine. (They own the house)

On the other hand, there means that place OR it is often used to start a sentence.

Examples,
1. There's something about that girl (Like I said, it is often used to start a sentence. It doesn't show any form of possession).

2. There are two boys in my class now. (Again, starting a sentence without any form of possession).

3. I will be there (that place)

4. He was there when the armed robber was arrested (that place).

In summary, whenever you want to say that someone owns or possess something, use their. However, where that is not the case, use there.

Combination:
Over there (that place) in England, English is their (possession) first language.

I hope this helps...
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Crieff(m): 8:24pm On Feb 17, 2022
Mariangeles:

The correct reply to that would be either Yes, I do mind. Meaning, you don’t want. Or No, I don’t mind. Meaning, you want.

Thank you Mariangeles. Thank yous to tchidi066, thatigboman1, Michelle70, phemmyfour, walker and yMcy56. I know better now.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JAMB UTME 2018: Live Thread And Reports / Okeke Solomon Ekene Emerges Best Graduating Student In Russian University / Newly Admitted UNICAL Students Pour Each Other Water To Celebrate (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.