Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning (29199 Views)

Words And Acronyms That Gained Popularity In Year 2020. / Four Different, But Confusing Words: / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by thatigboman1: 6:50pm On Feb 16, 2022
Crieff:
Though not a word but a phrase and how it's correctly used.
How do you properly respond to the question below and what does those response actually mean.

Do you mind having noodles for dinner?

Yes I do mind
Yes I don't mind
No I don't mind
No I do mind
yes, I do mind/no, I dont mind
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Munzy14(m): 6:51pm On Feb 16, 2022
thatigboman1:
aid/aide
Nwoke m cool

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Nobody: 6:51pm On Feb 16, 2022
IamV:
You got those pairs of words you think English learners may have tough time differentiating which from which, especially during writing,please drop them here.
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

An artist is a person who draws,paints or makes carves,while an artiste is a public performer , especially songs or dance.

-seize / cease

Seize means to take possession of something using force or violence,while cease means to bring something to an end or stop.

- stationary / stationery;

Stationary is a condition in which an object or something is not experiencing motion. It's stagnant. While stationery are basically your writing materials, office materials.

- Illegible / Eligible;

Illegible is a situation where something or a writing is not clear enough to be read, while eligible means meeting the necessary conditions or qualifications to participate for something.

Moral / morale;

Moral relates to principle of right and wrong in behaviour,while morale is about the level of belief ,determination and confidence a person or group of persons have at a given time.

Do you have any?
List if you do, e will love to learn them.

All artistes are artists but not all artists are artistes.

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by thatigboman1: 6:52pm On Feb 16, 2022
Mariangeles:

The correct reply to that would be either Yes, I do mind. Meaning, you don’t want. Or No, I don’t mind. Meaning, you want.
correct. Yes, I do mind or no, I dont mind

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Hassanmaye(m): 6:52pm On Feb 16, 2022
phoneport:
Me thought it should be confusing like this grin grin grin

Kanu / IPOB
Kyari / Corrupt
Thief / Nubu
No Fuel / NNPC
Buhari / Senseless
Haha you are a bad boy grin
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Nobody: 6:53pm On Feb 16, 2022
lagosrd:
Been........and .......being
Na your own make sense pass.. Aswae I'm still yet to master the two... And I use them everyday

2 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Adek15(m): 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2022
helinues:
grin

Were/were

One is past tense of Are

While the second one is for mad person

you made me laugh wildly. God bless you. I needed that

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by thatigboman1: 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2022
Munzy14:

Nwoke m cool
my chairman,long time
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by helinues: 6:55pm On Feb 16, 2022
Adek15:
you made me laugh wildly. God bless you. I needed that

God bless you too abundantly self..

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by JayPeeOham: 6:55pm On Feb 16, 2022
helinues:
grin

Were/were

One is past tense of Are

Were = past tense of are
Were = Helinues tongue

In Dissaray = scattered abroad
In Dissaray = Inside the grave

Shade = A local Yoruba name
Shade = A covering that provides shelter

Joke = A local Yoruba name
Joke = A funny or hilarious story

Sane = Name of a German footballer
Sane = To be mentally okay

Main =The actual purpose of a thing
Mayne= No idea grin
Mane= Senegalese/Liverpool player

Salah = An Islamic celebration
Salah = An Egyptian/Liverpool football player

grin cheesy grin grin cheesy Hope I tried?

3 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by DatNaijaGuy: 6:56pm On Feb 16, 2022
Following.
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by GoldenSpec: 6:58pm On Feb 16, 2022
Ila/ Ila
The former is a town while the latter is an okro
grin
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Munzy14(m): 7:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
thatigboman1:
my chairman,long time
Yes ooo..
Happy New year.

Happy Valentine's day

And happy Easter in advance...

Kedu?

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by jidxin(m): 7:05pm On Feb 16, 2022
helinues:
grin

Were/were

One is past tense of Are

lmaooooo you just made my day.... But on a lighter note you are extremely mad bro....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by nelszx: 7:06pm On Feb 16, 2022
IamV:
You got those pairs of words you think English learners may have tough time differentiating which from which, especially during writing,please drop them here.
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

An artist is a person who draws,paints or makes carves,while an artiste is a public performer , especially songs or dance.

-seize / cease

Seize means to take possession of something using force or violence,while cease means to bring something to an end or stop.

Stationary is a condition in which an object or something is not experiencing motion. It's stagnant. While stationery are basically your writing materials, office materials.

- Illegible / Eligible;

Illegible is a situation where something or a writing is not clear enough to be read, while eligible means meeting the necessary conditions or qualifications to participate for something.

Moral / morale;

Moral relates to principle of right and wrong in behaviour,while morale is about the level of belief ,determination and confidence a person or group of persons have at a given time.

Do you have any?

Final / Finale

Maid / made
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by tesseract: 7:09pm On Feb 16, 2022
helinues:
grin

Were/were

One is past tense of Are

Lol...nice one BMC chairman. grin
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Originalsly: 7:09pm On Feb 16, 2022
As commonly misused on Nairaland...

pack instead of park .
He left to pack park his car.

burst instead of bust.
Kyari was was implicated in a cocaine drug burst bust.

bail instead of bell.
Who is going to bail bell the cat?

loose instead of lose.
He did not bet because he didn't want to loose lose his salary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Gubioma: 7:09pm On Feb 16, 2022
IamV:
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

-seize / cease

- Illegible / Eligible;

Moral / morale;

Do you have any?

Dan Borno....
Imo and Omo
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Gubioma: 7:10pm On Feb 16, 2022
IamV:
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

-seize / cease

- Illegible / Eligible;

Moral / morale;

Do you have any?

Dan Borno....
Imo/Omo
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by peacettw: 7:10pm On Feb 16, 2022
Access and assess
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by bigpicture001: 7:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
MufasaLion:
Include "Born/Borne" also.

State it's difference
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by domido(m): 7:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
lagosrd:
Been........and .......being
That's my own confusion oo

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Authority2022: 7:12pm On Feb 16, 2022
Mariangeles:

The correct reply to that would be either Yes, I do mind. Meaning, you don’t want. Or No, I don’t mind. Meaning, you want.
Correct
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by wale0911: 7:16pm On Feb 16, 2022
IamV:
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

-seize / cease

- Illegible / Eligible;

Moral / morale;

Do you have any?

Analysis/Analyses - one is the plural form of the other
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Aarenasbaba(m): 7:17pm On Feb 16, 2022
Advise/Advice
Believe/Belief
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by solsticey2k3(m): 7:20pm On Feb 16, 2022
helinues:
grin

Were/were

One is past tense of Are

grin cheesy
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by placeofallure(f): 7:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
elyte89:
Advise/advice

Advice is the noun form of the word.
E.g. The principal gave pieces of advice to the graduating students

Advise is the verb form of the word.
E.g. The principal will advise the graduating class on the next steps.

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by GodisFirst: 7:25pm On Feb 16, 2022
Thought / Taught

Where/ were

Had/ Hard

Head/ Heard

Saw/Saw

Seen/Sin

Worn/ Warn

War / Wore

Eight / Ate
It / eat
Thin / Tin
Week / Weak
Thick / Tick
Un / On
None / Non

and the list goes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by hammedroyabat(m): 7:26pm On Feb 16, 2022
imran147:
Great picture Avenue for men like us who love to learn and explore in anglophone

I guess you are from the Middle east or Pakistani
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by chocboi78(m): 7:32pm On Feb 16, 2022
OP said and their meaning.
Abi ogun wan punish some of una ?

2 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by chocboi78(m): 7:33pm On Feb 16, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:
Otun/Otu- Otun is Pvssy, Otu is number 1
grin grin
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by prigoz(m): 7:39pm On Feb 16, 2022
helinues:
grin

Were/were

One is past tense of Are

Lol, this one is best and most of BMC crew have the 2nd one

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PhD Holder Employed As Primary School Teacher In Kaduna / Covenant University / Newly Admitted UNICAL Students Pour Each Other Water To Celebrate (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.