Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,358 members, 7,819,286 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) (13629 Views)

Woman Who Spoke Against Fuel Scarcity In 1994 Video Goes Viral / The Movement Of The Federal Government From Lagos To Abuja (Videos & Photos) / Fuel Scarcity In Lagos: What’s Your Experience? (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Yampotatocarrot(m): 8:10pm On Feb 16, 2022
flokii:
The queues at filling stations in Abuja are becoming something else.. the funniest part is that you'll see those ones selling black market with fuels in gallons looking for buyers while motorists can't get.
The same filling stations hoarding the fuel are the ones selling to black market vendors.

I don't think it's as bad as here in Lagos. The black market operators now have a stand at the entrance of the filling stations, selling 5litres of fuel for 2k... They have the fuel in big 25litres yellow kegs and their own small transparent 5litres keg with hose. When you come to buy, they just fill into their transparent 5litres keg so that you won't say they cheated you, then you'll transfer into your own keg

Question is, where them dey see their own fuel when the filling station is either claiming no fuel or has very long queue... I suspect it's a racket ran by the filling station managers
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Reference(m): 8:16pm On Feb 16, 2022
oluwaahmed:

You cannot remove subsidy when there are no refineries it's like putting the cart before the horse.

And you cannot have working refineries with subsidies.... so.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by AdaAwkanwa(f): 8:19pm On Feb 16, 2022
nduprincekc:
Abuja Fuel Scarcity

There is a long queue today in most Abuja Fuel Station

Please subscribe to my channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzKsjU1csUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukCjU7aSoLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKJX5711_VI

wahala dey
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Aaau: 8:25pm On Feb 16, 2022
Wicked government
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 8:32pm On Feb 16, 2022
bigfish3k:

Are we supposed to be importing fuel?
Why not advise the FG to build refineries and let's see if the current price wouldn't drop by 70% without any subsidy.
This current government is always ticking the hardest option for us

Sure, they can build refinereis, but the subsidy has to go first so that the investment will come in to build the refinereis.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 16, 2022
oluwaahmed:

You cannot remove subsidy when there are no refineries it's like putting the cart before the horse.

You cannot have refineries, when subsidy means the refineries would operate at a loss.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by mmsen: 8:33pm On Feb 16, 2022
You people for the same scam every few months...

They tell you there's a fuel scarcity and you all rush to the filling stations.

The following week, there's fuel.

What happened to your brains?
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Cloven22: 8:35pm On Feb 16, 2022
This Abuja fuel scarcity seems to be worse than other places.

If you are a car owner you should try out Flickwheel for car loans that you can pay back in installments as well as sourcing good mechanics you can trust.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Feb 16, 2022
moralfibre19:
[You and your should first of apologise to all Nigerians for misleading the entire nation into a protest in January 2012, only then we can listen to you propagandists

1.I was in support of fuel subsidy removal in 2012

2.I see no reason to apologize

3.I support fuel subsidy removal. I also don't like PDP OR APC. Both parties don't run this country well.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 16, 2022
Willie007:

Truth is that the reasonable Nigerians are not afraid of fuel subsidy, but the leaders and people in power that will loot the profit if the fuel subsidy is removed

No, subsidy remains because

1,Nigerians don't want to pay market price for petrol

2.Nigerians don't realize how damaging subsidy is to the economy.

As for looting...that is why we should use the tools of democracy to HOLD OUR LEADERS ACCOUNTABLE. Democracy is hard work. The nice countries we want to japa to are nice because people did the hard work of holding leaders accountable. Not waiting for some hero to come and save them...like Nigerians and bubu in 2015.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Kfed4ril(m): 8:43pm On Feb 16, 2022
SUPOL:
Fuel is not scarce to the people that caused this. Personal interests have put the whole nation in a state of quagmire. Well people like me go into the Filling station � and pick fuel and come out. I only pity the Ordinary Nigerians like you guys. Una Sorry oo

Nwanne show us the way na.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 8:47pm On Feb 16, 2022
Firerising:
You are totally missing the point...
The point is why are they importing fuel?
Why is our refinery not working?
and since they can't answer the question or give account of the countries resources the only thing that the poor masses are enjoying is the subsidy.
Fuel subsidy does not not only apply to PMS it also has a role to play in the inflation rate in the country. remove it labour will go on strike then the government will increase salary and food items go up and our money loose value.

Let them do the needful.....

1.They import fuel and our refineries are not working because we sold fuel from the 4 NNPC refienres at a loss, to save on subsidy (the difference between the refining cost and government set price at the pump) costs....which led to the refinereis breaking down due to lack of profit to keep them well maintaned and upgraded (and it is also why we cannot build refinereis, NNPC does not make a profit to build refinereies. NNPC has lost money for most of the last 20 years, and it is government subvention and subsidy that props it)

2.And we refine fuel at bad refinereis abroad, because if we refined fuel at good refineries, fuel would cost above N500 . Instead of the N282 SUBSIDSED TO N162 that we pay.

The long and short is, we refined fuel at a loss. You don't do that if you want working refinereis.

NIGER republic has a refinery, and they don't have subsidy. They sell fuel for N350, and they are not dead. Ditto Chad, and Cameroon, and even poorer countries like Liberia. Subsidy removal won't wreck us, and may even make our economy stronger....and it means more refinereis built without government money.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 16, 2022
ayindejimmy:

Since 1993 why can't FG focus on fixing our refineries instead concentrating on removing subsidy?
Why are we importing refined fuel for the past 20 years ?

Because NNPC, thanks to subsidy, has not made a profit for 20 years. NNPC has been selling fuel at a loss for over 20 years...and the subsidy paid was not enough to cover refining costs, repairs, upgrades, etc. Corruption and sabotage did the rest.

Right now, NNPC buys fuel at N282 and sells it at N162. Government pays a subsidy to cover NNPC losses, and to pay transporters transport costs to keep the fuel cost uniform

Whereas if NNPC was selling fuel at N350 as in Niger, the profits would have helped it build and renovate its refinereis.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 8:50pm On Feb 16, 2022
ravensckar:
[s]A person like you is the reason why our government take us to be foo.ls! As educated as you're sounding, you've refused to stop and ponder on the effect of any increase in fuel price (under the guise of subsidy). The hyper inflation that will occur, increase in transportation, feeding, housing and general cost of living. If not someone who learned wickedness directly from the devil himself, no reasonable person will advocate for more hardship on the populace.

Now, on the real issue of subsidy. Equity demands that he who will come to the table must come with clean hands. All the subsidy figures that the government has been quoting, have you ever asked yourself why they themselves have refused to reduce the cost of governance? Oh! You want the citizens to sacrifice but you the leader ain't ready for any form of sacrifice. If hypocrisy has a nickname, it will be called 'Nigerian Government'.

Thirdly, has any government explained to us why the heck our refiniries ain't working? So, you mean a country that is blessed with crude oil cannot afford to have up to 4 functioning refineries. If that's not failure of governance, then, tell me what is.

Let no foolish person preach any gospel of subsidy under any guise, the masses will resist it. And if they attempt it, what happened during the ENDSARS protest will be a child's play. This country is already on a cliff..[/s]..

I don't recalll abusing you or calling you names, why should you.

Plus I'm not in government

Finally, you don't understand how a subsidy works. The day you do, you would get it.

Do have a good day. Again, I'm not in government, and the fact that subsidy is there shows government is listening to you not to me.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by airexx: 9:01pm On Feb 16, 2022
nairaman66:

People like you are ordinary Nigerians! Stop the hype
Is he even qualified to be an ordinary Nigerian? He's way below the ordinary Nigerian..
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Lightway: 9:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
ravensckar:
A person like you is the reason why our government take us to be foo.ls! As educated as you're sounding, you've refused to stop and ponder on the effect of any increase in fuel price (under the guise of subsidy). The hyper inflation that will occur, increase in transportation, feeding, housing and general cost of living. If not someone who learned wickedness directly from the devil himself, no reasonable person will advocate for more hardship on the populace.

Now, on the real issue of subsidy. Equity demands that he who will come to the table must come with clean hands. All the subsidy figures that the government has been quoting, have you ever asked yourself why they themselves have refused to reduce the cost of governance? Oh! You want the citizens to sacrifice but you the leader ain't ready for any form of sacrifice. If hypocrisy has a nickname, it will be called 'Nigerian Government'.

Thirdly, has any government explained to us why the heck our refiniries ain't working? So, you mean a country that is blessed with crude oil cannot afford to have up to 4 functioning refineries. If that's not failure of governance, then, tell me what is.

Let no foolish person preach any gospel of subsidy under any guise, the masses will resist it. And if they attempt it, what happened during the ENDSARS protest will be a child's play. This country is already on a cliff....

You're just a child
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Oyerinde16(m): 9:37pm On Feb 16, 2022
backbencher:

No, this is what you get when you support fuel subsidy.

Governments have tried to remove fuel subsidy since 1993, but everytime, Nigerians say no. Last chance was in 2012, Nigerians like you said no.

You cannot import fuel at N282 and sell it at N162, or refine fuel above N200 and sell it at N162, and pay a subsidy that does not cover the losses, and expect no scarcity.

Sure Buhari managed to keep scarcity away from 2017 till this month, but at the cost of trillions of naira wasted.(And by lying about subsidy removal repeatedly, and not removing it when the chance presented itself several times over)

If you want high quality fuel...just like you want high quality service....LET SUBSIDY GO....so that the marketer can make a profit, and the profit can pay for standard refinereis that would refine standard fuel, with no impurities, and investment means more jobs.

modifed

sauce: Fuel subsidies in Nigeria: they’re bad for the economy, but the lifeblood of politicians

U typed rubbthe government is not paying subsidy, they are stealing the money...

What they do is swap deals, they lift 4 million litres per day, sell 2 million and remit the money to federal govt, then tell the dealers to take 2 million, refine and return 1 million barrels, now the remaining 1 million barrels is to pay for refining, transportation and other things, now where is the subsidy... If they do oil swap deals, where does subsidy come from, but cos they steal this money, they say its subsidy.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 11:03pm On Feb 16, 2022
Oyerinde16:

U typed rubbthe government is not paying subsidy, they are stealing the money...

What they do is swap deals, they lift 4 million litres per day, sell 2 million and remit the money to federal govt, then tell the dealers to take 2 million, refine and return 1 million barrels, now the remaining 1 million barrels is to pay for refining, transportation and other things, now where is the subsidy... If they do oil swap deals, where does subsidy come from, but cos they steal this money, they say its subsidy.

Whereas if the market was allowed to set the price, all that scam would have ended.

Plus, how can you import fuel at N282 and sell it at N162....the difference is where the subsidy comes in...not the swapping you are talking about.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by ravensckar(m): 12:10am On Feb 17, 2022
Lightway:

You're just a child
At least a child is better than a moroni.c Zombi* like you.

Take a walk!
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by ravensckar(m): 12:18am On Feb 17, 2022
backbencher:

I don't recalll abusing you or calling you names, why should you.

Plus I'm not in government

Finally, you don't understand how a subsidy works. The day you do, you would get it.

Do have a good day. Again, I'm not in government, and the fact that subsidy is there shows government is listening to you not to me.

For you to read my post and infer that I insulted you showed the level of your reasoning.

Secondly, to say I don't understand how subsidy works is not only mendacious but outrightly mischievous. Funny enough, I didn't even comment on the concept of it but was merely questioning the cause of it.

Finally, for you to excuse the government's failure of not building refineries or making the existing ones functional. Only to turn around to advocate for subsidy removal shows your level of naivety. Arguing with you is tantamount to casting my pearls before a swine. It's pointless!

Do enjoy the rest of your subsidized life!
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 7:02am On Feb 17, 2022
ravensckar:
For you to read my post and infer that I insulted you showed the level of your reasoning.

Well, here are your words, unedited

ravensckar:
A person like you is the reason why our government take us to be foo.ls!

I don't think I abused you, yet you abused me. The thing is, it's my opinion am expressing here. I am not in government, I don't go round expressing my thoughts on subsidy removal except on this site, and most people don't listen to me anyway.

And anyway, government didn't listen to me, so why did you assume that they do. Especially since your leader decided to retain subsidy like all the past leaders.

Indeed why should my opinion matter above 200 million others, most of whom support subsidy retenion anyways?

Finally, you were rude. You don't have to apologize and I won't insist you do, but you were rude. I did not abuse you. I did not call you names, but you did.

Secondly, to say I don't understand how subsidy works is not only mendacious but outrightly mischievous. Funny enough, I didn't even comment on the concept of it but was merely questioning the cause of it.

Well, we import fuel at N282 and sell it at N162...plus we pay transporters a fee so that fuel prices don't differ from place to place. The difference between the import/landing cost and the pump price is covered by money called the subsidy.
If there was no subsidy, we would be paying N300 and above for fuel. And when the domestic refineries come on stream, it may be higher.

Finally, for you to excuse the government's failure of not building refineries or making the existing ones functional. Only to turn around to advocate for subsidy removal shows your level of naivety. Arguing with you is tantamount to casting my pearls before a swine. It's pointless!

Well, when you run refineries at a loss, like Nigeria has been doing for several decades, a time comes when they break down.

It is what happens when the government sets prices , instead of letting the market set the price. At the end profits cannot be made,

Also, subsidy rises when the cost of production rises. At the end, to reduce subsidy costs, that's when things like skimping on refining oil. comes in. Problems start.

Anyway, if you want a subsidy, you pay for it via taxes....not via the revenue from crude....which is another reason why it isn't sufficent enough.

Finally, even on a good day, our petrol is bad. We refine it at bad refineries abroad to keep costs down, like most African countries do. And the costs inculde subsidy costs.

I've been backing subsidy removal for ten years, and have done more reading in that period.

(And as you can see, I don't excuse government. Government wrecked the refineries by bringing in subsidy and price controls.Plus your government also pays for subsides the wrong way)

Do enjoy the rest of your subsidized life!

Good morning. Have a good day.

TLDR: You want working refineries

1.Allow the petroleum market to run at a profit. That not only promotes growth, including new refineries and new jobs, but saves us forex and causes the value of the naira to rise, as well as ending budget deficits, and also reducing our dependence on loans (not eliminating it, that requires us to diversify and eventually become industrial)

2.You want subsides....pay them from taxes...which means, long story short...raise Nigeria's tax to gdp ratio from 8% to above 40%...so as to have the funds to do so. Not from crude oil revenue which rises today and falls tomorrow with the fluctuating price (and said price is always below our fiscal breakeven anyway)
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by ayindejimmy(m): 9:11am On Feb 17, 2022
backbencher:

Because NNPC, thanks to subsidy, has not made a profit for 20 years. NNPC has been selling fuel at a loss for over 20 years...and the subsidy paid was not enough to cover refining costs, repairs, upgrades, etc. Corruption and sabotage did the rest.

Right now, NNPC buys fuel at N282 and sells it at N162. Government pays a subsidy to cover NNPC losses, and to pay transporters transport costs to keep the fuel cost uniform

Whereas if NNPC was selling fuel at N350 as in Niger, the profits would have helped it build and renovate its refinereis.

You are talking of the aftermath.
How did we get here, a major oil producing state without a functional refinery?
Did all our refineries stopped working overnight?
A responsible FG with foresight would know subsidy is unsustainable.
Can Nigerian even afford this current rate? Talk more of #350?
Do you know what buying fuel at #350 will to hardworking and incorruptible Nigerians?

What you're saying is payment of subsidy made it impossible to upgrade our refineries for the past 20 years?

As such the masses should pay for and keep supporting the negligence and corruption of our leaders.

We have no biz with a subsidy at all. How many members of OPEC are involved in subsidy

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 17, 2022
ayindejimmy:

You are talking of the aftermath.
How did we get here, a major oil producing state without a functional refinery?
Did all our refineries stopped working overnight?
A responsible FG with foresight would know subsidy is unsustainable.
Can Nigerian even afford this current rate? Talk more of #350?
Do you know what buying fuel at #350 will to hardworking and incorruptible Nigerians?

What you're saying is payment of subsidy made it impossible to upgrade our refineries for the past 20 years?

As such the masses should pay for and keep supporting the negligence and corruption of our leaders.

We have no biz with a subsidy at all. How many members of OPEC are involved in subsidy

It isn't the aftermath, it has been going on for decades.

We are saying the same thing, we disagree on the minutiae.

Finally, cheap fuel is why we are here.

You want quality, you pay for quality. We have been underpaying for fuel for over 40 years. This is the end result.

Would you like it if people underpaid you for your services?

And stop crying about the masses. Poorer countries than we pay higher for fuel. Plus, removing subsides may even mean we save more dollars and buffer up the naira.

By the way, complain to your government. I am not in government.
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by ayindejimmy(m): 9:35am On Feb 17, 2022
backbencher:

It isn't the aftermath, it has been going on for decades.

We are saying the same thing, we disagree on the minutiae.

Finally, cheap fuel is why we are here.

You want quality, you pay for quality. We have been underpaying for fuel for over 40 years. This is the end result.

Would you like it if people underpaid you for your services?

And stop crying about the masses. Poorer countries than we pay higher for fuel. Plus, removing subsides may even mean we save more dollars and buffer up the naira.

By the way, complain to your government. I am not in government.
How are we underpaying for it?
Are you saying we should pay more than we can afford?
Please, compare Nigeria's minimum wage with other OPEC countries.
We can only pay for what the corrupt economy permits us to pay.
Nigerians' purchasing power is being diminished weekly and there's no respite in sight.
FG should put minimum wage at #100k and all private sectors too should follow suit if they want to increase pump price by 100%.

A responsible FG with foresight would envisage that Nigerians need more than three refineries to match the growing population. But no one thought of it. All they do is steal, and now we, must pay?!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 11:02am On Feb 17, 2022
ayindejimmy:

How are we underpaying for it?
Are you saying we should pay more than we can afford?
Please, compare Nigeria's minimum wage with other OPEC countries.
We can only pay for what the corrupt economy permits us to pay.
Nigerians' purchasing power is being diminished weekly and there's no respite in sight.
FG should put minimum wage at #100 and all private sectors too should follow suit if they want to increase pump price by 100%.

A responsible FG with foresight would envisage that Nigerians need more than three refineries to match the growing population. But no one thought of it. All they do is steal, and now we, must pay.

Well, it isn't just refineries we need but the money to repair, upgrade and build more refineries

And that can be done by allowing profits to be made which meqns removing subsidies.

We don't earn enough money from oil. Let's be realistic. I know you guys don't like hearing truth and i speak as someone who supported subsides till 2012, but we are a poor nation and we cannot afford subsides for fuel.

Niger republic has a working refinery because they sell fuel at a profit. Not at a loss. Fuel costs N350 per liter there.

We don't have working refinery because since 1973 we sold fuel at a loss because subsidy and it eventually led to our refineries all breaking down by 2011.

And we cannot build new refinereis because we spend the money that could have been used for even one refinery on subsidy.

You can abuse me, and call me names, but i repeat we are poor for fuel subsides. It is a lesson l learned 11 years ago, and Lord knows i wish it wasn't like that. I effing wish it wasn't like that. But it is

Good morning
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by bigfish3k: 5:56pm On Feb 20, 2022
backbencher:

Sure, they can build refinereis, but the subsidy has to go first so that the investment will come in to build the refinereis.

Can you remind me how many times this administration has removed subsidy and why haven't they built the refineries since
Re: Fuel Scarcity In Abuja (Videos) by Nobody: 6:27am On Feb 21, 2022
bigfish3k:

Can you remind me how many times this administration has removed subsidy and why haven't they built the refineries since

1.So long as government controls the price, there is a subsidy.

2.Because of the above reason, I did not/never believed the government when they said they removed subsides

3.What the government has been doing is partial removal of subsides. This manifests as an increase in prices. Sometimes, they stop paying subsides till the price rises above a certain set point, then they start again, to keep the price at the set point.(as seen in 2016, and 2020. In 2016, when landing cost was N132, and actual cost at the pump was N87, government raised the actual cost at the pump to N145, and stopped paying subsides till the landing cost..which includes cost of production, rose above N145, when subsidy payments resumed to keep the price at N145, as an example.)

4.Who wants to build refineries when subsidy means that you won't earn enough of a profit to upgrade, maintain, fix, and even add new refineries?(Dangote is taking a risk , as are the 5 others building, because if they are not allowed to sell at a profit, they would be broke, and they won't have the money to keep up the refineries). That's why we have not 'built new refineries'. We lost the first 4 refineries because we ran them at a loss...by selling fuel below the production price.

(And anyway, government is apparently renovating 2 refineries. Or so they say)

If you want a working refinery, the refinery has to sell at a profit. Subsiding fuel does not allow refineries to make a profit. Same as subsiding food would make it difficult for farmers and company to make a profit.

5.A big problem with subsidies is that money for them comes from crude oil revenue, not from taxes. As a result, there always isn't enough for subsides, since oil prices fluctuate, meaning that government over the years cannot pay the oil industry enough money to cover losses from selling at subsided price, meaning the industry gets broke....as do refineries.

6.Yes, the removal of subsides means food, transport and other price increases, but the harsh truth is that the more we spend on subsides, the more we divert money from other sectors to cover the same subsidy. (As an example, landing cost has gone up from N232 in June last year to N282 now, and is still rising. Meanwhile fuel is sold at N162, same as June last year. Where is the money coming from to cover the difference? Other sectors...meaning we have to add to our loans to cover things up) So, we are between the devil and the deep blue sea.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Ranks Anambra State 2nd In Banking / Mohammed Abubakar: EFCC, Magu Get 2-Week Ultimatum To Prosecute Ex Governor / President Buhari Meets Economic Team Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.