Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,904 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? (39455 Views)

Construction Works On Units Of Flats (a New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture (construction Of 4 Bedroom Twin Duplex) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Jbenue: 5:07pm On Jun 25, 2011
Corrugated multicolored metal roofing, Grand Corinthian Pillars, Deep inset doors, Incoherent Interior design, Hospitals Looking Like Houses, Houses Looking Like Hotels.
It begs the Question When did Nigeria get It so horribly wrong in an architectural sense?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Jbenue: 5:11pm On Jun 25, 2011
Do we have a phobia of Large windows or something?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 12:42am On Jun 26, 2011
Because Nigeria is living in the shadows of another country (the United States 90% of the time) in almost all areas of life.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by THEAMAKA(f): 1:44am On Jun 26, 2011
THANK YOU! i said this before somewhere else but the buildings (whether they be offices, churches, houses, schools) are soooo ugly! like when in Nigeria, almost everywhere has that dead/flat look.
the schools need a desperate upgrade, but i will let them slide because most of the schools (Universities, colleges) are old. but DAMN  undecided
although a lot of houses are NOW starting to be built with designs, and some other buildings too, but for the most part.  lipsrsealed

although the building in the pic isn't bad. . .

this is what I'm talking about 

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 1:54am On Jun 26, 2011
Let's talk about government buildings. Most government buildings in Nigeria are just wastes of cement. you don't see a variety of materials being used in these buildings like you see in other countries, such as wood or plastic panelling, bricks, outer drainage pipes, emergency exists (in Nigeria grin), wheelchair access, panel roofing (or whatever it's called) instead of rusty zinc, you also won't see buildings with outer walls covered in corrugated metal or any other material.

Will we ever see a primary school in Nigeria that looks like this? (Apart from the windows, it's not really that expensive, for Nigeria anyway)

[center][/center]
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Sicherheit(m): 1:58am On Jun 26, 2011
I have often wondered about this myself.
It's like the architects didn't outgrow the way they drew houses when they were children.
I know safety and security has a lot to do with how the buildings are designed but they can still try to put some imagination to it. undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 1:59am On Jun 26, 2011
Sicherheit:

I know safety and security has a lot to do with how the buildings are designed but they can still try to put some imagination to it. undecided

Actually, Nigerian buildings are some of the most dangerous in the world and they regularly collapse.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by lepasharon(f): 2:01am On Jun 26, 2011
aah aah! dat house is fine now!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 2:04am On Jun 26, 2011
This is the kind of thing Nigerians are trying to copy.

[center][/center]

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Sicherheit(m): 2:04am On Jun 26, 2011
ezeagu:

Actually, Nigerian buildings are some of the most dangerous in the world and they regularly collapse.
Bros, I'm talking about the high fences, small windows with uglyass bars.

[img]http://funnelme.files./2011/03/festac-town_block-of-flats_00.jpg[/img]

Look at this block of flats, if you don't know what you are looking at you'll think it's a caged building for large animals undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 2:06am On Jun 26, 2011
^^^ Looks like a prison.

Even Prison looks better than that. I guess ppl are more concern about safety than with architectural designs.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by lepasharon(f): 2:07am On Jun 26, 2011
^ dey have houses lyk dat in UK.infact dat is how most of d houses r
Sicherheit:

Bros, I'm talking about the high fences, small windows with uglyass bars.

[img]http://funnelme.files./2011/03/festac-town_block-of-flats_00.jpg[/img]

Look at this block of flats, if you don't know what you are looking at you'll think it's a caged building for large animals undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:08am On Jun 26, 2011
ezeagu:

I think he meant "safety and security" from marauding savage criminals.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 2:08am On Jun 26, 2011
lepasharon:

I'm sure they do. It's called "the ghetto" or sth like that.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Sicherheit(m): 2:10am On Jun 26, 2011
ezeagu:

This is the kind of thing Nigerians are trying to copy.

[center][/center]

No fence? No barred windows? No electric wires?
This one is what would be considered a safety hazard in Nigeria.
That country is like opposite country undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by lepasharon(f): 2:13am On Jun 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

^^^ Looks like a prison.

Even Prison looks better than that. I guess ppl are more concern about safety than with architectural designs.
its the burglary proof and mosquito nets pasted everywhere dat kills d luk of d houses!
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 2:15am On Jun 26, 2011
Sicherheit:

Actually, I believe such a house would be on a few acres of private property (unlike the cramped mansions of Nigeria) and there will be a gate connected to the main house several meters away, the whole property would be surrounded by a wall covered in bushes and trees.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 2:16am On Jun 26, 2011
lepasharon:

its the burglary proof and mosquito nets pasted everywhere dat kills d luk of d houses!

"buglary proof" and "mos. nets" are  not the only things wrong with that house.

Sicherheit:

By the time area boys are done with that house, they'll be lucky if the roof is still in tact.

And you dont need large glass windows to make the house look nice. Shape and color of the house itself makes the house stand out.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 2:19am On Jun 26, 2011
This is what I'm talking about:

[center][img]http://www.efficient.ws/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Bill-Gates-House-Designs-Ideas-sample-photos.jpg[/img][/center]

The owners of these houses actually have a team of armed guards that watch over cctv of the house, unlike Nigeria where armed robbers cut through the barbed wired houses.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 2:22am On Jun 26, 2011
lepasharon:

Not true, you're talking about this right?

[center]

Or this:

[/center]

Most houses aren't even like this unless you live in low income neighbourhoods in cities.

This is what most of their houses are like:

[center][/center]
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by kcjazz(m): 2:25am On Jun 26, 2011
Haha, well maybe we don't support creativity. There is an emphasis on size rather than design plus we too like copy copy. And then we lack maintanance culture

More so insecurity is an issue. No matter how creative you are, we want our burglary windows. I think there are nice buildings, I love the National Theater and the Holy Cross cathedral Lagos. There are a few inspiring buildings all across the country but again our building codes need reform
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Sicherheit(m): 2:25am On Jun 26, 2011
ezeagu:

Actually, I believe such a house would be on a few acres of private property (unlike the cramped mansions of Nigeria) and there will be a gate connected to the main house several meters away, the whole property would be surrounded by a wall covered in bushes and trees.
Nigerian Architecture might be uninspiring but the architects are not unrealistic like you are.
How feasible do you think what you just described is?  undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 2:26am On Jun 26, 2011
This is my old appt complex, even this is too messy for me. I needed something more sophisticated.

Nigeria needs to up its standard before I go back home plz angry
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 2:31am On Jun 26, 2011
Sicherheit:

Nigerian Architecture might be uninspiring but the architects are not unrealistic like you are.
How feasible do you think what you just described is?  undecided

What are you talking about. These are rich peoples houses. The billionaires in Nigeria already have this anyway including electric gates and a team of mobile policemen.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 2:47am On Jun 26, 2011
You can find these "projects" in the United States.

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 2:49am On Jun 26, 2011
This is the area I live in Washington DC.

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Outstrip(f): 2:53am On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

I don't believe anybody lives there. That is bviously a condemned building waiting to be pulled down
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Outstrip(f): 2:57am On Jun 26, 2011
There are some nice homes in Nigeria but the ones I know personally buy the plans in the US and have somene tweak things here and there. Even an uncustmized plan from a catalogue can be refitted to work in Nigeria. I agree with those columns. It is just overdone in Nigeria. It'salmost like competitionof the who has the tallest ones. In fact they look ghetto to me now. VGC is no exception to this.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Sicherheit(m): 3:13am On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

This building is clearly abandoned. undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by THEAMAKA(f): 3:14am On Jun 26, 2011
LOL, Nigeria, quantity but NEVER quality. also climate is another thing. some housing styles work in the states and not in nigeria visa versa due to climate or whatever.

but a few nice buildings in Nigeria: a movie theater and a library

these houses aren't that bad, i get a Mediterranean vibe from them
[img]http://gatewaynigeria.tv/relocate/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/housing_ex.jpg[/img]
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 3:25am On Jun 26, 2011
^^^

I agree with my turtledove above. wink

The houses are not bad. They simply resemble Mediterranean houses.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 3:26am On Jun 26, 2011
I prefer Greek Architecture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

School And Houses Destroyed By Erosion In Anambra State (Photos) / What Could Be The Cause Of Recent Fire Outbreaks? / abuja maps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.