Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,800 members, 7,866,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 11:29 AM

For The Incoming President: A Classical Show On Channels TV - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / For The Incoming President: A Classical Show On Channels TV (208 Views)

Zahra Buhari Shades Dino Melaye Over Festus Keyamo Argument On Channels TV / Gbenga Daniel And Rotimi Amaechi In Campaign Debate On Channels TV / Deji Adeyanju Reacts To Fetus Keyamo Vs Segun Sowunmi Interview on Channels TV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

For The Incoming President: A Classical Show On Channels TV by polycarp65: 1:50pm On Feb 20, 2022
Rarely in this clime, will one see a leader, opinion moulder or political stakeholder, appear on televison for or in any form of talkshow without drawing lines of controversy or engaging in outbursts that would stir or heat the polity.

For His Excellency Anyim Pius Anyim, Grand Commander of the Order of Niger (GCON) Former Senate President; his appearance on Channels Television programme tagged: “Politics Today” on Saturday, February 19-incidentally, the day he turned 61 in a most fruitful sojourn on earth; shows a lot about the disposition of a political genius, avid nationalist and the hope for a revamped Nigeria.

The interactive characteristical of him, was devoid of name calling or mudslinging but rich in planned policies and programmes which would form the base of revamping Nigeria in all sectors when he hopefully assumes its leadership on May 29, 2023.

He spoke on a variety of llissues:

On the main reason of acceptability for the position, he said he was eminently qualified as he was a true nationalist who believed and had worked assidiously for the unity of the country.

“Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo from the South West became the President not because South-West supported him, they actually support him but Nigerians chose him.

"President Buhari ran for Presidency three times and each of those three times, he had winning votes in major catchment areas in the north but he did not win until he teamed up with the south. He then ran and won.

"This means that for anybody from the South East who wishes to run, it is not the south east that will make you the President. You are not going to be a president of the south east. You are going to be the President of Nigeria," he said.

These are noble words as he concluded that it was his desire, effort and target to be acceptable to all Nigerians.

Continuing, he said that he will aspire for the presidency as somebody who has become whatever he is in life because he is a Nigerian.

“I will aspire to intervene in the affairs of the country at a time I think my services are needed most as I have intervened before even outside office. The Senate if we can recall, was turbulent but when I became its President, I stabilised it. I am a full-fledged Nigerian with experiences across board and I want to be accepted as the President of Nigeria across board.”

The Ebullient former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) described the problems facing the country as hydra-headed, pointing out that poor leadership was its root.
My knowledge of the country with the vantage positions I held in the past gives a clear understanding of the challenges and I can profer solutions.

“The problems have huge political, economic and social dimensions. People will say individually that the problems are insecurity, lack of infrastructure among others but in my view, the greatest challenge is poor leadership.”

Outlining how he will solve these problems, the "expected messiah as being touted in several quarters' said that he will refocus the Nigerian economy to fit into the new world economic direction. He said that he will take into consideration the fourth industrial revolution and articulate an economic agenda that will stand on industrialisation, talent and innovation, science and technology. He said that with the nation's vast, huge agricultural potentials, he would revolutionalise the sector with mechanisation.

"In my first to second week in office, I will set up the structure of governance. I should make the necessary appointments so that work starts immediately.

“The process will be segmentalised. From the political angle, I will build consensus on critical areas and use them as a foundation for launching into the future. I will build consensus on the political processes, governance issues and frameworks, political participation and inclusiveness.

“We would expand our industrial base- engage in agriculture to produce for local consumption and industrial purposes. I will redirect our economy to generate a lot of diversification to make the private sector run the economy," he said.

Consensus is a vital tool to achieve an egalitarian society. On it rests the attainment of peace, justice and equity. With it, people will have their say and be represented equitably in the polity. By it, agitations will be moderated and violent extremism checked or reduced to the barest.
To achieve this, Anyim says he will foremostly involve the people in decision making so that when convinced, they will identify with the policies and programes. Government is not just about the leader or a few people, it must be the responsibility of everybody.

"People should be given stakes to elicit patriotism and make policies successful," he said.

The burning issue within the ranks of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) currently is how to wrestle power from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
Anyim expressed optimism that the PDP will sweep the 2023 polls, the same way it swept the recent Abuja Area Council polls.

“I hope you watched the test run of this certainty with the Abuja Area Council polls. Right before the nose of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, PDP was sweeping the polls and this will happen across the country.
PDP is a national party and not a south-east party. All through my political life, I have always played at the national level and not regional. I have been the head of the Senate right here in Abuja; I have been Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, right here in Abuja. I have made several interventions at the national level. The one you mentioned when this country was at crossroads, over the issue of the President being sick and not transmitting a letter. And you also know that even with the rising insecurity at a point, I wrote an open letter to the President.

“There are people from the north, west, east and all, that are aspiring to pick the presidential ticket of the PDP. I am putting my credentials on the table alongside theirs. I believe that I have the right credentials, experience and capability to contest with anyone.

The appearance on channels TV afforded the elder statesman, the opportunity of clearing the air, an age-long held misconception about his supposed rift with former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

The grandmaster of the nation's politics held that the Owu Chief was an outstanding president who focused on all he wanted to do.
He disclosed that they had a disagreement on an issue which involved the National Assembly and the Executive arm of government.

"The disagreement was due to a motion moved by Senator Idris Abubakar from Gombe state and not moved by me.
It was the action taken in the senate that the former president reacting to which was a friction between the national assembly and the executive.
As the head of the legislature, I could not run away from it; I was leading the legislature and Obasanjo was leading the executive so there was nothing personal.

The former senate president also used the interactive to prove that the long held perception about him not driven by inordinate ambition and being someone with high penchant for self esteem, was no fluke.
On the reason for not seeking a return to the Senate after 2003, he opined that it would had been seen as hunger for power if after leading the upper chamber, he returned to it as a floor member.

"I had been President of the Senate and Chairman of the National Assembly which meant I had gotten to the peak of that career.
If I returned and not elected the senate president, I will be at the floor of the senate.
Even if I came back, I should not expect to be elected the senate President because it should rotate. When I was leaving, I said that I believed in rotation. So, my not returning was not because of anybody.

“The election to return me was in my zone and not the national assembly, so, I wouldn’t have come back after being senate president to sit on the floor. That will translate to hunger for power which I did not have," he said.

He earlier said that he had the credentials to become president. The facts speak for themselves. Nigeria needs a man who does not monger for power. Anyim is it.....

On Saturday, February 19th, one of the fathers of the nation celebrated his 61 years earth, crested with unparalleled service to God and man. Eulogies have poured from far and near, across continents, seas, oceans, mountains and valleys. As a point of contact, the eulogy from Chief Ali Odefa, National Vice Chairman PDP South East will suffice.

Odefa in his felicitation, said that he, his family and entire PDP family, celebrate its leader and a man of divine destiny. He said that the party was so proud to identify with Anyim and excited to join his family, friends, associates and millions of Nigerians to celebrate him.

"As you clock 61 years on your beautiful sojourn on earth, you have remained a shining light in the Nigerian political firmament, a man whose goodwill crosses all boundaries.
You are a man who believes in the common good of all Nigerians, a great son of Ebonyi State and indeed Igboland.

"By dint of hard work and divine providence, you emerged the Senate President at a time when Nigeria was battling to find its feet in the annals of democratic governance.
You have since then, etched your name in the minds of Nigerians as a leader who can be trusted
You have unequivocally entrenched yourself in the minds of Nigerians as a patriot who believes so much in the unity and progress of our dear country, Nigeria," he eulogised.

The PDP--NVC south east said that through Anyim's usual calm, calculated and mature approach to issues, he has become a trusted leader, a bridge builder and purveyor of the belief in a better and prosperous Nigeria.

"As you turn 61 years, all of us in the PDP Southeast zone raise our glasses in cheers to you who has seen it all but yet remain humble.
You are a man who believe so much in God and His infinite abilities to direct the affairs of men, a man who has taught us to be loyal party men and leaders with the love of comrades and foot soldiers at heart.
As you celebrate your 61birthday, we fervently pray and wish you many more beautiful and healthy years ahead, in your service to Nigeria and humanity at large," he felicitated.

The Igbo people say that 'Anya ka-eji a ma oka chara-acha' (One identifies a ripe corn with sight).

This corn is ripe and Nigerians are waiting for the fulfilment of destiny on May 29, 2023.

Re: For The Incoming President: A Classical Show On Channels TV by Jostoman: 2:02pm On Feb 20, 2022
Anyim is not a bad choice to lead Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Appeal Court Reduces Ex-reps Member, Farouk Lawan’s Jail Term To Five Years / Nigeria Better Off Together Than Fragments, Pieces – Fayemi Warns Against Breaku / Biafra: The Zombies In The Biafra Struggle - By Elochukwu Ohaji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.