Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? (1193 Views)

How True Is It That Majority Of Couple Living Apart Engage In Adultery / World Shortest Married Couple In Brazil (Photos) / A Married Mother Of 4 Had Sex With My Abroad Friend, Who's Her Ex Boyfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by lalasticlala(m): 9:32am On Feb 21, 2022
A married couple living in separate NYC apartments say it's done wonders for their relationship.

*The Akhands have been married for nearly seven years, but are choosing to live separately.

*A wife living separately from her husband in New York says it revitalized her marriage and career.

*Sana and Adnan Akhand got married in their twenties and quickly fell into a rut, she told Insider.

They started living apart in October, and will do so for a maximum of three years.

A woman whose video on living separately from her husband in New York City went viral on TikTok said it's worked wonders for their relationship.

"We lived together for 6.5 years before deciding to make our own rules and do what works best for us & our love story," Sana Akhand wrote in the video posted on January 29, which has amassed over 1 million views at the time of writing.

Sana told Insider she got married to her husband Adnan in their twenties, nearly seven years ago, due to family pressure. "From the moment we had our first kiss to the moment we were married, it was a year and three months," Sana, who is South Asian, said. "In our culture, if you're out of college, next step is marriage."

At the time, she said she wanted to focus on her career but didn't want to sacrifice her relationship in the process. Sana and Adnan saw marriage as a "piece of paper," and thought to themselves: "How much can life change?'"

But they soon found themselves slipping into traditional husband and wife roles neither of them wanted, Sana, 32, said.

"He had financial burdens on him. I also was like, 'I'm not contributing equally financially, so let me step into the wife duties of taking care of the house,'" she said.

As the years rolled on, time with friends disappeared, as did a focus on passions. Sana, who now runs an adult social community called Jet Black Social Club and the "Make Your Own Rules" podcast, said she got a corporate job to help them afford to live in New York City.

"We were basically just living for each other versus for ourselves," she said. "I was coming home, drinking wine, going to sleep, and I was just so burnt out and he was working from home at the time waiting for me to come home all day."

To help their relationship, the first "drastic" decision was to quit work and travel the world for a year in 2018, Sana said. But COVID-19 hit soon after they returned, and Sana's feelings of needing space increased.

The couple quit their jobs and traveled the world for a year.
Conversations about living separately in July became a reality on October 19, after Adnan asked: "What if we just dated again?"

So they did. Sana said she now lives on the Upper East Side, while Adnan, who works in finance, is 15 minutes away on the Upper West Side.

Their finances are completely separate, they see each other a couple of days a week for romantic date nights and sleepovers, and are focused on building their individual careers, Sana said.

"It really just lit my world back up," she said. She added that their intimacy has improved ten-fold: "Whenever we're about to have a sleepover, I'm like, 'Oh, let me make sure I'm wearing, like sexy lingerie."

"When we're about to see each other after a long day of work, we're so excited to see each other," she said. "Before, it's like, 'I had a bad day, leave me alone.'"

At first, Sana said she felt alone in their idea to live apart. But when she posted the viral TikTok about their living situation, she realized that wasn't the case.

Some people questioned their marriage and commitment, but others have come forward to say they made the same choice or know people who have, she said.

"It was scary at first," Sana said. "But I cannot live my life based on other people's rules because then I'm not living my life, I'm living someone else's life. And I never wanna end up on my deathbed where I'm like, 'Man, I wish I did X, Y, and Z.'"

While Sana and Adnan do miss living together and plan to move back in after a maximum of three years, she said that for now, "this is working better for our relationship, which is making me love him more."

https://www.insider.com/couple-live-apart-new-york-city-say-it-helped-marriage-2022-2

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Mariangeles(f): 9:40am On Feb 21, 2022
This is like being married and single at the same time.
Best of both worlds. cheesy

This is by far better than open relationship or whatever they call it.

7 Likes

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Mindlog: 9:44am On Feb 21, 2022
Well, it sails their marital boat.
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by YinkaOlusesi16(m): 9:47am On Feb 21, 2022
There is no wonders in that kind of relationship, they are defrauding each other & creating room for the third party.

1 Like

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by ObiOkpor(m): 9:47am On Feb 21, 2022
Sure they can..
They have to build nothing but TRUST!
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Double0h7(f): 9:49am On Feb 21, 2022
To each their own... I couldn't spend a night away from my husband. I wish I had my own room sometimes because I hate fighting for the covers and space on the bed...

4 Likes

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by luemz(m): 9:49am On Feb 21, 2022
Like someone stated above, it's just like being married yet living single...

I don't think I'd want that for my spouse and I. If kids are involved, where would they stay? who would they live with?

If it's not circumstances beyond my control for example, being transferred by my job or hers, or career pursuit, I would not want that.

Especially not with how mushy and clingy I could be sometimes tongue

2 Likes

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by ObiOkpor(m): 9:49am On Feb 21, 2022
YinkaOlusesi16:
There is no wonders in that kind of relationship, they are defrauding each other & creating room for the third party.
But if they guy is based in yankee, and the lady in Nigeria, no be defrauding be that Abi?
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by BlackXabbath(m): 9:58am On Feb 21, 2022
This will surely work for someone like me, I value trust and understanding the more.

Love is a mirage.
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by pocohantas(f): 9:58am On Feb 21, 2022
I don’t see what is shocking here.

I love foreigners because they are true to themselves and own their demons. A lot of couples in Nigeria are living apart. Physically they are together, but emotionally, spiritually, sexually and financially, they are apart.

Somehow we are so deluded in the illusion that we have the most enviable marriage system. Something that is bound by so much lies, fears, threats and abuse. Make it better kwanu, no way.

Some are no more excited about their wedding anniversaries sef. They mark the first three years and subsequently you notice they are no more hyped about it. That day they carry on like it is just another day.

The only reason many are still together is because of external factors; work, side chicks and guys, alcohol, peppered kpomo, telemundo, what-will-people-say and the almighty kids.

Remove these things and they would nearly kill themselves. Before you come here to attack them or me, appraise yourself and your union. We can do better.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Acidosis(m): 10:20am On Feb 21, 2022
A typical boyfriend-girlfriend relationship. Not a big deal.
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by iamyemiakins(m): 10:51am On Feb 21, 2022
Beware of entanglements

1 Like

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Nobody: 11:43am On Feb 21, 2022

1 Like

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Candidlady: 11:51am On Feb 21, 2022
sad
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by thorpido(m): 12:14pm On Feb 21, 2022
Married but living single.I guess they don't have kids yet.How they manage with kids?
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 21, 2022

1 Like

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by thorpido(m): 12:31pm On Feb 21, 2022
InTheCloudySky:
I believe the couples in these arrangements either don't have kids yet, or don't want kids. The above couple have a South Asian background and will likely have kids, as they typically do. It's probably one of the reasons why this is a temporary living situation for them and they're planning to move in together after 3-years.
I hope it's temporary.It's more complicated though when the kids come and they move in together.
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Feb 21, 2022
It can never work with African men, they sha must cheat

2 Likes

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by bigjackass: 1:29pm On Feb 21, 2022
This and open marriage is the best. Most married people can't stand each other after some time. No matter the Cinderella love they started with
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Seun(m): 8:24pm On Feb 21, 2022
What do you think of separate bedrooms?
Your children will know when you want to play.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by sisisioge: 8:28pm On Feb 21, 2022
No....I no do.

But for this couple, the arrangement is mimicking a temporal separation where the couples are still romantically involved. It will help them grow fonder of each other.

Couples on the verge of divorce who still want to stay together usually benefit alot from arrangements like this.
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by GIANTPLUSHUB: 9:08pm On Feb 21, 2022
Lemme learn shocked
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Brooke60(f): 9:53pm On Feb 21, 2022
Seun:
Separate bedrooms is kind of better than this.

At least, they are under the same roof

1 Like

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by elantraceey(f): 10:06pm On Feb 21, 2022
Not for me. I'm too clingy for this.
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Jhenny(f): 10:06pm On Feb 21, 2022
Play as in ? tongue.

I and my future husband will definitely have separate bedrooms. I don't like people all up in my face all the time. The marraige will bore me faster if we slept together everyday.

And as for play time, the children won't know when you live in a large house.

I know many old couples who don't share the same bedroom. With time, the kids will get used to it.

And as for the topic, I love the idea actually. I usually wonder how married people still love each other sleeping, waking and doing things together everyday. Not me, wish the above is possible with Nigerian men, e for make sense sha

Seun:
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Acidosis(m): 10:57pm On Feb 21, 2022
Jhenny:
Play as in ? tongue.

I and my future husband will definitely have separate bedrooms. I don't like people all up in my face all the time. The marraige will bore me faster if we slept together everyday.

And as for play time, the children won't know when you live in a large house.

I know many old couples who don't share the same bedroom. With time, the kids will get used to it.

And as for the topic, I love the idea actually. I usually wonder how married people still love each other sleeping, waking and doing things together everyday. Not me, wish the above is possible with Nigerian men, e for make sense sha

With the right mindset, it won't. Do you ever get bored from bathing with water? Are there times you feel like using palm oil, sand, or acid instead of what you're used to - water?

It is act of commitment and service that drive marriage not love. Love is not the reason couples share the same bed for 40 years. Nobody has ever died from sleeping apart so love has nothing to do with couples' decisions to eat together, share the same bed, or go out together. It is simply the act of service, commitment, and faithfulness/loyalty for one another.

Moreover, boredom is a normal phenomenon. The boredom our education, movies, internet, etc., could not solve, marriage won't solve. Let's stop seeing marriage as a magical fix to man's innate-, self- or environmental-inflicted problems.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by socialmediaman: 6:58am On Feb 22, 2022
Living apart can save some marriages but It also increases cost of living. Lease, furniture etc
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by BlackXabbath(m): 8:04am On Feb 22, 2022
Seun:
Their problem.
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Olam09(m): 9:42am On Feb 22, 2022
sad sad angry
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Winneygirl(f): 9:45am On Feb 22, 2022
Choice.
There is really no rule book to life.
You create what you want. You find someone who wants the same things you want.
Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Seun(m): 1:29pm On Mar 16, 2022
BlackXabbath:

Their problem.
It's actually healthy for them to know.

1 Like

Re: Can A Married Couple Living Apart Work? by Pascopele: 2:33pm On Mar 16, 2022
No

(1) (Reply)

Still In Shock Mermaid Really Exist. Never Believed Till I Saw This In Africa. / Foam For Sale (oba Anambra) sold / Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.