Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,990 members, 7,814,379 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. (1165 Views)

Is It Normal That I Don't Want To Get Married Or Have Kids? / I'm About Losing The Man I Love And Being Pressured To Marry The One I Never Did / Pressure To Get Married (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Truvelisback(m): 11:31am On Jan 02, 2023
Good day, fellas. Ladies aren't the only ones that are pressured by their parents, love ones or family members to get married. Guys too face the same pressure.
Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Zonefree(m): 11:37am On Jan 02, 2023
No matter the pressure, always remember, marriage with a Nigerian girl is waste of emotions.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Candidlady: 11:40am On Jan 02, 2023
sad

so we can also call men EVENING NEWSPAPER ba?

6 Likes

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Bmaster(m): 11:52am On Jan 02, 2023
what many men are pressed about is their choice of girls.
Your parents are not fools,they know when you're being held down by a love spell by that evening newspaper you brought to them,
Again,how dare you bring home to your parents a repackaged,Retired ashawo hustler ?Damn, When you Are not mad ? grin

5 Likes

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nazgul: 11:52am On Jan 02, 2023
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Ladies aren't the only ones that are pressured by their parents, love ones or family members to get married. Guys too face the same pressure.
Aside from maybe your pastor, guys don't really receive that much pressure like girls.

Your friends would even want you to remain single so that you guys can continue to hangout together till midnight.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Truvelisback(m): 11:58am On Jan 02, 2023
Candidlady:
sad

so we can also call men EVENING NEWSPAPER ba?
U can't. A man can get married at any age and still bear children unlike u ladies that can approach menopause from age 40. Men at 40, 50, 60, 70 and above can still father children.

5 Likes

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Tallesty1(m): 12:16pm On Jan 02, 2023
Nazgul:

Aside from maybe your pastor, guys don't really receive that much pressure like girls.

Your friends would even want you to remain single so that you guys can continue to hangout together till midnight.

You are not being honest here.

The pressure is equal on both genders, we just know how to handle it.
Once you are above 30 and employed, the next thing that people expect from you is to marry and they are more vocal about it than when it is a lady.

From your parents, to your relations, to your friends' wives etc. They will start arranging women for you to pick from or start to subtly place girls in your path. A guy who is unmarried is seen as irresponsible no matter what he has achieved in life. At a point people who don't know you will start asking you how is your wife or family because at that age, there is no reason to not have a family .

It will get to a stage that everyone will conclude that you are either impotent or gay or a ritualist or all of them.

The pressure is too much on men too but knowing that we can marry whenever we chose to makes it seem less.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Truvelisback(m): 12:26pm On Jan 02, 2023
Nazgul:

Have u not red abt several stories here where the mum decides to drive away her son from her own house so that he can be on his own and have a family of his own?

1 Like

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Candidlady: 12:28pm On Jan 02, 2023
Truvelisback:
U can't. A man can get married at any age and still bear children unlike u ladies that can approach menopause from age 40. Men at 40, 50, 60, 70 and above can still father children.

with this you wrote.. can you see that the pressure is more on women..

2 Likes

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Truvelisback(m): 12:39pm On Jan 02, 2023
Candidlady:

with this you wrote.. can you see that the pressure is more on women..

That depends on the kind of parents or family members u have. Haven't u read several stories here where the mum decided to drive away her own son from her own house so that he should have a house/family of his own? Has any lady here experienced the same?

2 Likes

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by talk2hb1(m): 1:46pm On Jan 02, 2023
Not only are we pressured, we are harassed and disrespected for not married at 30+

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jan 02, 2023
Before nko?
You think there aren't men that are worried too?

I've met a couple of men begging me to marry them because time was no longer on their side but I get scared of such men in that stage and always run from them because their intentions are not always right. They just want to marry because time is going and that can be a red flag.

One was literally crying hot tears, begging me. Shoo... I run o. I felt for him Sha. undecided.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nazgul: 4:06pm On Jan 02, 2023
Tallesty1:

You are not being honest here.

The pressure is equal on both genders, we just know how to handle it.
Once you are above 30 and employed, the next thing that people expect from you is to marry and they are more vocal about it than when it is a lady.

From your parents, to your relations, to your friends' wives etc. They will start arranging women for you to pick from or start to subtly place girls in your path. A guy who is unmarried is seen as irresponsible no matter what he has achieved in life. At a point people who don't know you will start asking you how is your wife or family because at that age, there is no reason to not have a family .

It will get to a stage that everyone will conclude that you are either impotent or gay or a ritualist or all of them.

The pressure is too much on men too but knowing that we can marry whenever we chose to makes it seem less.
This is for those who keep unnecessary ties with irrelevant extended family members and elderly family friends.

I'm not married and I'm working and catering for myself. Aside from my pastor and most especially his wife. I don't receive that much pressure not even from my parents.

The only person who can embarrass me in public about marriage is my pastor's wife, I've made up my mind to tell her that I'm interested in marrying her daughter who just gained admission into covenant university the next time she tries to burden me with her marriage palava.

Shebi she's concerned about my single status, she should give me her daughter so I can say bye bye to bachelorhood.

6 Likes

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nazgul: 4:07pm On Jan 02, 2023
Truvelisback:
Have u not red abt several stories here where the mum decides to drive away her son from her own house so that he can be on his own and have a family of his own?
That's for those who still stay with their parents. I don't live with my parents.

2 Likes

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Truvelisback(m): 4:07pm On Jan 02, 2023
Blessedmercy8:
Before nko?

I've met a couple of men begging me to marry them because time was no longer on their side but I get scared of such men in that stage and always run from them because their intentions are not always right. They just want to marry because time is going and that can be a red flag.

One was literally crying hot tears, begging me. Shoo... I run o. I felt for him Sha. undecided.

Couple of men begging u to marry them. hmmmm.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Truvelisback(m): 4:11pm On Jan 02, 2023
Nazgul:

That's for those who still stay with their parents. I don't live with my parents.
Even guys who are living alone in their own houses aren't exempted from the pressure.

1 Like

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nazgul: 4:17pm On Jan 02, 2023
Truvelisback:
Even guys who are living alone in their own houses aren't exempted from the pressure.
Who wants to pressure you in your own house to get married.

As long as you're fulfilling your financial obligation to your parents as a good son and have a good discussion with them to give you time to choose someone so you won't fall into error, who else has the right to pressure you?

Let me use myself as an example. I go to work very early in the morning, return home in the evening, take a shower, eat and hop to bed. On weekends I'm mostly indoors resting, Sunday I go to church, by Monday I repeat the same routine.

Is it not when people are seeing you that they'll pressure you?

4 Likes

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 02, 2023
Truvelisback:
Couple of men begging u to marry them. hmmmm.

Yes. Real men but they are in their 40s and 50s , yet not married and they look every inch their age.
Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Tallesty1(m): 4:50pm On Jan 02, 2023
Nazgul:

This is for those who keep unnecessary ties with
irrelevant This is not nice extended family members
and elderly family friends.

I'm not married and I'm working and catering for myself. Aside from my pastor and most especially his wife. I don't receive that much pressure not even from my parents.

The only person who can embarrass me in public about marriage is my pastor's wife, I've made up my mind to tell her that I'm interested in marrying her daughter who just gained admission into covenant university the next time she tries to burden me with her marriage palava.

Shebi she's concerned about my single status, she should give me her daughter so I can say bye bye to bachelorhood.
Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by JeffreyJunior: 4:54pm On Jan 02, 2023
If I don't put myself under pressure, whoever that thinks he is putting me under pressure is only wasting his time.

Mums be falling sick all the time as if the daughters-in law they are crying to have will be their personal doctors.

Some mothers can scam their sons eeh. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nazgul: 5:15pm On Jan 02, 2023
Tallesty1:
This is not nice

Anyone outside that cycle who hasn't contributed in anyway to your life is irrelevant and shouldn't have a say in your private life.

Tallesty1:
Everyone's extended family members?
Read the bolded above.

If you have no visible contribution in my life, whether financially, spiritually, academically emotionally... etc, you definitely shouldn't have a say in my life. It's that simple.

I believe you have uncles, aunties and relatives whom you haven't made contact with in over 10 years. Now imagine them suddenly appearing out of the blue to tell you who and who not to marry. And even go as far as rejecting a particular choice you've made and try to influence your parents into siding with them, simply because you're related to them by blood.

How would you feel?

2 Likes

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Tallesty1(m): 5:24pm On Jan 02, 2023
Nazgul:

Lol...it doesn't have to be nice...the reality here is that extended family members and elderly family friends contribute nothing to your life aside unnecessary monitoring and gossip.

You're not married... they'll talk.

You eventually get married and two years down the line your wife isn't pregnant... they'll talk.

She eventually takes in and within a couple of 5 years you have 3 daughters without any son in sight... they'll talk.

The best step any young man can do for himself is to cutoff from them, cos they're as useless to you as the letter P is to Psychology.

You family members are your parents, siblings, wife and kids. Anyone outside that cycle who hasn't contributed in anyway to your life is irrelevant and shouldn't have a say in your private life.
Everyone's extended family members?
Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Karleb(m): 5:28pm On Jan 02, 2023
Nazgul:

Lol...it doesn't have to be nice...the reality here is that extended family members and elderly family friends contribute nothing to your life aside unnecessary monitoring and gossip.

You're not married... they'll talk.

You eventually get married and two years down the line your wife isn't pregnant... they'll talk.

She eventually takes in and within a couple of 5 years you have 3 daughters without any son in sight... they'll talk.

The best step any young man can do for himself is to cutoff from them, cos they're as useless to you as the letter P is to Psychology.

You family members are your parents, siblings, wife and kids. Anyone outside that cycle who hasn't contributed in anyway to your life is irrelevant and shouldn't have a say in your private life.

Honestly, sometimes you have to be selfish with your life.

You are the mostly important person in your life.

2 Likes

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nazgul: 5:43pm On Jan 02, 2023
Karleb:

Honestly, sometimes you have to be selfish with your life.

You are the mostly important person in your life.
Exactly...this is what I've been trying to say.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Treassured: 6:06pm On Jan 02, 2023
It's true oo

Everyone Is Just forming hard these days. One can't really blame people because everyone Is being careful not to choose the wrong partners.

I pray the most high and the powers upon the universe will send forth to us our other half soon.

1 Like

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Treassured: 6:15pm On Jan 02, 2023
Blessedmercy8:
Before nko?

Hello are you the one on your dp?
Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 02, 2023
Treassured:

Hello are you the one on your dp?

My daughter
Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Treassured: 6:42pm On Jan 02, 2023
Blessedmercy8:

My daughter

Okay she looks good though. My Regards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 02, 2023
Treassured:

Okay she looks good though. My Regards.

Thank you.
Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 02, 2023
Not me. I don warn my mama and papa already, they dare not raise the issue.
Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by Truvelisback(m): 7:06pm On Jan 02, 2023
Nazgul:

Who wants to pressure you in your own house to get married.

As long as you're fulfilling your financial obligation to your parents as a good son and have a good discussion with them to give you time to choose someone so you won't fall into error, who else has the right to pressure you?

Let me use myself as an example. I go to work very early in the morning, return home in the evening, take a shower, eat and hop to bed. On weekends I'm mostly indoors resting, Sunday I go to church, by Monday I repeat the same routine.

Is it not when people are seeing you that they'll pressure you?

No matter what, ur parents and other relatives of urs would want to know how u are faring and they find out u aren't married, they would pressure u with words. E.g Oga shey u know say u dey old? Na when u wan marry? etc. They could even compare u to other of ur relatives. U would hear something like: See small Timothy don marry, na wetin u dey wait for? grin
Re: Not Only Ladies, Guys Too Are Pressured To Get Married. by stacyadams: 9:22pm On Jan 02, 2023
talk2hb1:
Not only are we pressured, we are harassed and disrespected for not married at 30+

Walai....Na so

(1) (2) (Reply)

I’m The One Paying Your School Fees” — Man Tells His Son After His Wife Claimed / Which Of The Inlaws Should Respect Who More In A Nigeria Setting / What May Be The Roght/best Age-gap For Couples?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.