Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,553 members, 7,819,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked (50219 Views)

Mr Macaroni On ASUU Strike: Nigerian Students Deserve Better / ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Sets Up New Committee To Renegotiate 2009 Agreements / ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by tegrianonigltd(m): 8:20pm On Feb 21, 2022
Frenchkiss564:
Maybe abroad is not as heavenly as we thought sha.

I want to bet they will resolve the issue earnestly.

When on strike, they attend class online, even offline, activities goes on, submission of report and work goes on. DONT let this people make am look like them Dey sit down for house like nigeria. I did my Bsc and msc in the uK.
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by Shegzy8(m): 8:32pm On Feb 21, 2022
hilltop007:
The strike only occurred in her school. Unlike ASUU that affects the whole federation

If you or a family is preparing for JAMB, you can download our free JAMB Practice App with 10 subjects (2004 to 2021 Past Questions). Playstore link is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jambcbtpastquestions.jamb360

iPhone users nko
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by Shedybliss(m): 8:38pm On Feb 21, 2022
Atleast theirs go sweet pass ASUU
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by mixta140: 8:42pm On Feb 21, 2022
eazzzy1:
University of Lethbridge in Canada is currently on strike.

Canadian truckers have been protesting in Ottawa for almost a month now. The government of Canada froze their accounts and has been arresting protesters. The exact same way end sars protest was handled.

We don’t see these reports from ‘saner climes’ in the news. We Nigerians just love to over exaggerate our issues.
We are very innovative giving excuses ... highly
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by lapazi(m): 8:44pm On Feb 21, 2022
eazzzy1:

Canadian truckers have been protesting in Ottawa for almost a month now. The government of Canada froze their accounts and has been arresting protesters. The exact same way end sars protest was handled.

We don’t see these reports from ‘saner climes’ in the news. We Nigerians just love to over exaggerate our issues.

It’s because they don’t have the caliber of a certain “DJ” amongst them. Also, there yeyebrities are pu55ie5

1 Like

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by gambojimeta: 8:47pm On Feb 21, 2022
TheGift:
Like I was telling someone earlier today, there is dysfunction everywhere in the world.

Only three days ago canada started freezing accounts of people involved in the trucker protest. Even a single moms account was frozen for donating to one of the movements leading the protest. Just like FGN & CBN did to some Nigerian protesters.
Debunked as lie. .

The single mom with $50 donation is not ah influencer or trucker

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by Cloven22: 8:50pm On Feb 21, 2022
E shock me grin grin grin

Before buying that tokunbo car, get Flickwheel and input the details to get the accident history and any other information you might need.
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by TheGift: 8:59pm On Feb 21, 2022
gambojimeta:

Debunked as lie. .

The single mom is not ah influencer or trucker

What was debunked , that the Canadian government was freezing account of people connected to the protests?
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by vickydevoka(m): 9:08pm On Feb 21, 2022
damosky12:
Many Nigerians behave like those village boys that think Lagos is some sort of heaven. Thanks to Nollywood stereotyped story lines. They finally come to Lagos, and discover Lagos isn't heaven after all.

USA and UK aren't necessarily the answers to your life's problems. They have their problems too. Many of our People are littered across these places, stranded, and too ashamed to come back.

Are you serious!.

I can't get stranded in u.k. never. If u have anybody that has business worth 200k pounds, register business, he can give you letter for you to apply for tier-2 Visa.
Better still u can ur partner come over una go use dependant reach 10 years apply for citizenship.
In as much as Nigeria women are wahala n people are afraid of bringing dem up, they still play a vital role in making u obtain ur green card.
I always advice 9ja men in abroad don't marry who u love, marry who will hustle.
Prenuptial agreement is way people do now. No body can predict a lady character in future
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by hilltop007(m): 9:11pm On Feb 21, 2022
Shegzy8:

iPhone users nko
ios version is not available yet.
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by Nosayer: 9:14pm On Feb 21, 2022
hmohammed:

Be acting like you dont understand simple english

Thank you.

Be thinking like implied meanings can't be drawn from words.
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by gambojimeta: 9:18pm On Feb 21, 2022
TheGift:

What was debunked , that the Canadian government was freezing account of people connected to the protests?
That the RCMP and Bank never froze the account of a single mother that donated $50. (See bolded)

of about 5,000 protesters, only around 200 accounts of major influencers have been frozen for the protest which became illegal after the border blockades which cost the Canadian government upwards of $300million in trade loses and the harrassment of Ottawa residents.

Not to mention the losses to the City of Ottawa/Ontario or Alberta via Coutts.

A large chunk of the donation also came from outside Canada. So banks were given the go-ahead to set up tougher anti money laundering actions.

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by Newboss(m): 9:39pm On Feb 21, 2022
damosky12:

Lol. This is all stereotypical bro.

You exalt this "system" ish. There are tons of people with expired visas earning and living in these countries.

People aren't stranded just because of paper works. Thousands of Africa are in UK and USA unable to erk out a living despite working multiple jobs. Even a reasonable percent of their own people too are in poverty.

This is not to say Nigeria is better. But this exaltation of some infallible "system" is a façade. It's not as rosy as it's depicted. It's not even rosy.

If they're working and earning, then they're not stranded. It's up to them to learn how to manage their earnings.

There is no "infallible" system. The main motivation to leave Nigeria is not to earn more money but to be part of a system that works.

It's not just for you but for your offsprings. Anyone in Nigeria who doesn't know that the country has gone to the dogs is not paying attention.
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by frankson1(m): 9:41pm On Feb 21, 2022
eazzzy1:

Even the Nigerians who hear about this will choose to stay quiet because the country they worship can't do wrong.

There's serious issue in Canada but the "Nigeria is cursed" and "this can't happen in saner climes" crew will not create topics on this because they still don't believe that there are problems in their perfect country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by frankson1(m): 9:48pm On Feb 21, 2022
damosky12:

You exalt this "system" ish. There are tons of people with expired visas earning and living in these countries.

People aren't stranded just because of paper works. Thousands of Africa are in UK and USA unable to erk out a living despite working multiple jobs. Even a reasonable percent of their own people too are in poverty.

This is not to say Nigeria is better. But this exaltation of some infallible "system" is a façade. It's not as rosy as it's depicted. It's not even rosy.

They will quote to argue with you. To them, the West is a PERFECT world where nothing can go wrong. There's no point trying to educate them that it's not all roses over there because it'd go against the images they've created in their minds.

1 Like

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by darediamond(m): 9:51pm On Feb 21, 2022
Elites propelled "Education" is good anywhere but Arming yourself not to become a slave to them while you are still paying them is the Koko.

I can't just imagine myself being over there and not take advantage of the online Banking and Easy FOrex Systems to make myself easily become a Billionaire.

Use the strike period to get wealthy.

Use there Master and or Visa card, use there bank apps, Atm machines and forex agents to cut your own share of the large circular Pizza.

If you are a Nigerian in Ghana for example, You can do this via Nigerian Owned Banks that are also present in Ghana, vice-versa.

See enh, if you are not Dynamic in the way you think, you will with "education" or without education remain a Slave to The Global Elites.

What is free to get in the MARKET??
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by gambojimeta: 9:52pm On Feb 21, 2022
Omoluabi16:
Isn't industrial action a worldwide phenomena? Yeye dey smell!
100%

1 Like

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by damosky12(m): 9:57pm On Feb 21, 2022
Newboss:

If they're working and earning, then they're not stranded. It's up to them to learn how to manage their earnings.

There is no "infallible" system. The main motivation to leave Nigeria is not to earn more money but to be part of a system that works.

It's not just for you but for your offsprings. Anyone in Nigeria who doesn't know that the country has gone to the dogs is not paying attention.

Your last paragraph is still an expression of this wide-spread utopian thinking. You think all kids raised in the US and co turn out responsible? How you guys hastily assume these things is bewildering. In the midst it the drug endemic, the hooliganism, the moral decadence, the indiscriminate lethal shootings here and there.

The education system is more stable. They've got electricity and infrastructure. Good level of consistency in healthcare. Better security apparatus. But that's just all there is. They've got problems too, nevertheless. US crime rate is higher than what we've got.

Nigeria hasn't "gone to the dogs." Don't even know how to address this dogmatic pessimism.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by Smartiyke40: 10:00pm On Feb 21, 2022
Somehw, ee chok ooo.. bur i think its only d skul not d entire skul in UK!!! them no fit dear Naija...
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by litaninja(m): 10:28pm On Feb 21, 2022
Quick one, the conditions, reasons and outcomes of strikes in both "climes", are they the same??

eazzzy1:

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by jolyment: 10:33pm On Feb 21, 2022
hilltop007:
The strike only occurred in her school. Unlike ASUU that affects the whole federation

If you or a family is preparing for JAMB, you can download our free JAMB Practice App with 10 subjects (2004 to 2021 Past Questions). Playstore link is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jambcbtpastquestions.jamb360
Not only her school.
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by TheGift: 10:34pm On Feb 21, 2022
gambojimeta:

That the RCMP and Bank never froze the account of a single mother that donated $50. (See bolded)

of about 5,000 protesters, only around 200 accounts of major influencers have been frozen for the protest which became illegal after the border blockades which cost the Canadian government upwards of $300million in trade loses and the harrassment of Ottawa residents.

Not to mention the losses to the City of Ottawa/Ontario or Alberta via Coutts.

A large chunk of the donation also came from outside Canada. So banks were given the go-ahead to set up tougher anti money laundering actions.

Ok. Just so we are clear that accounts were frozen in Canada.

Meanwhile, you call 200 frozen protesters accounts in Canada “only”?

200 is 10 times more than the 20 accounts of Nigerian Protesters reported to have been frozen, following the EndSARS protests.( Even though Nigeria is more than 5 times the population of Canada) … I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by richmanrichard: 10:47pm On Feb 21, 2022
happney65:

What if they don't resolve it earnestly? Guess you read where someone said his daughter school in Canada went on a 5months strike?

All countries have their problem, Nigeria inclusive. Those are already developed countries,ours is a developing country. It's like comparing a 20year old to a day old baby

No comparison please
read till end- its owned by a nigerian
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by kmaster007: 11:03pm On Feb 21, 2022
Nigerians don open all the world's eyez
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by Vinceobrian(m): 11:35pm On Feb 21, 2022
The UCU action is not compulsory, most lecturers in my Uni did not join, all my activities in school this week continues as planned.
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by FBIBOT(m): 11:39pm On Feb 21, 2022
IPIGSRHYPO:
Was reading last night that Canada froze the accounts of those involved in the ongoing protests against coronavirus vaccine.
They have also used force to arrest and disperse some of the protesters.
I thought if a protest is peaceful, any govt should just leave them alone.
Bunch of double standard HYPOCRITES.

https://www.newsweek.com/banks-have-begun-freezing-accounts-linked-trucker-protest-1680649

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/19/world/canada/canada-truckers-arrested.html

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/at-least-76-financial-accounts-frozen-since-emergencies-act-invoked-mendicino-1.5788396

LOL I said it then that even the developed country won't allow the kind of Endsars protest.. They will do same thing Nigeria government did and throway face... It's time we define our standards

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by Joshuam1(m): 11:51pm On Feb 21, 2022
It might be because of the storm there.
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by obontami: 12:23am On Feb 22, 2022
Patiently waiting for that righteousness boy to come and post his off topic stuffs as usual. grin
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by 1Sharon(f): 1:19am On Feb 22, 2022
The whole university isn't on strike, only the student union is.
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by 1Sharon(f): 1:34am On Feb 22, 2022
damosky12:

Lol you've forgotten the people that work with someone elses papers?
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by degistonline: 2:49am On Feb 22, 2022
Good morning my brothers in the house. Please I know I am not supposed to be saying this on my this platform, because it might not be welcomed by the Admin. But please, I am saying all this here because I understand the fact that the country is hard and I can not steal. Please my brothers, I am a full time website developer, I register business names too, I even know how to drive car also, but challenge now is, I have not done my driver's license yet due to lack of money. Currently I am doing security job where they are paying me 20k per month. Please my brothers.. I need your help. Any amount you can raise for to get my driver's license and start up driving work that will fetch me money. In Lagos state, driver's license is said to be 35k, but I don't have the money and the nature of the work I doing now is really killing my skills. Please help me. My phone number is 08179471011. Thank you and God bless you all.
Re: UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked by sunbreaker: 4:48am On Feb 22, 2022
Covid don reset world economy. No giant nation again

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When Would The Result For May/june Waec Be Released / Ugandan University Sacks Nafiu Lukman Abiodun For Sexual Harassment / Humiliation Of A University Graduate On Graduation Day (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.