Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 (24120 Views)

What Boko Haram Leaders Told Me - Obasanjo / PDP BoT Rejects Interim Exco, NEC Members Told To Withdraw Resignation / Obasanjo: What PDP Needs To Rise Up Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by BeeBeeOoh(m): 9:06pm On Feb 21, 2022
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has narrated the encounter he had with Boko Haram members in 2011.

The former president had met with members of the sect and some family members of Mohammed Yusuf, founder of the group.

Upon his arrival at the Maiduguri airport, Obasanjo was received by the then deputy governor, Zanna Umar Mustapha.

The 2011 meeting

The meeting, which held at Yusuf’s family members at Railway Quarters, the demolished headquarters of the sect, lasted about 90 minutes.

Speaking at the meeting, Obasanjo had said, “This is a personal initiative. I urge you to forgive and forget the past. I plead with you, give me the chance to mediate between the family and government.”

In response, Babakura Fugu, Yusuf’s brother-in-law, whose father was executed in 2009, had said, “Since 2009, this is the first time any high profile figure would be commiserating with the family.

“We are happy with this visit. About 30 to 40 per cent of our members are scattered in neighbouring countries of Chad, Niger and Cameroun.”

Sadly, Fugu was gunned down 24 hours after Obasanjo’s visit.

Murtala Muhammed Foundation Lecture

Speaking at the 2022 annual lecture of the Murtala Muhammed Foundation (MMF), which held on Monday, Obasanjo said his fear about Boko Haram insurgency had materialised with their links with international terrorist organisations.

He said the group did not have external connection at the time he met with them but the poor handling on the part of the government made the crisis to go out of hand.

He also blamed insecurity in the country on the access to weapons after the Nigerian civil war.

The programme had as its theme, “Beyond Boko Haram: Addressing Insurgency, Banditry and Kidnapping across Nigeria”.

Obasanjo said, “We are not going anywhere until we take national building seriously. Justice and equity. We must build a society where everyone feels it has a stake. The insecurity in the country was caused as a result of the ease to access weapons and since then we have been unable to address the issue; it keeps getting worse.

“In 2011 when Boko Haram was just rearing its ugly head, I went to Maiduguri to try and find out a little bit more about Boko Haram and to also find out what their objective was apart from being interested in Sharia, they also complained that their followers had no job and, in their effort, to getting something legitimate efforts to help their members.

“In the process the government started chasing them and gunning them down. What I feared at that time seem to have been happening at that time, Boko Haram had not much external connections then, the ones they had would be Nigerians who had resources abroad, who were helping them.”

https://dailytrust.com/obasanjo-what-boko-haram-members-told-me-when-i-met-them

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by wizonlyson: 9:12pm On Feb 21, 2022
embarassedchaiiiiii...this country..has be in bondage..since 80's...chaiiiiii..may god help us.. embarassed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by fuckingAyaya(m): 9:21pm On Feb 21, 2022
War against BokoHaram is war against the north

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by ProudBornoBoy(m): 9:23pm On Feb 21, 2022
The Boko Haram insurgency was a crisis that was mismanaged right from it early stage, the state government as at then handled it with kid gloves until it became a menace the federal government couldn’t handle also. It left my people struggling as the cold hands of death, in pains and sorrow, in anguish and famine, in dejection and hopelessness, it is the most terrifying experience my state have tasted in recent history, a chapter we still haven’t closed, where brothers killed their brothers, sons killed their father, all for what reason? Propagation of false doctrines!, the masses stranded in between terrorist and the military, and yet this same killers are been set free, who do we blame? Our leaders, our elders, ourselves, all I can say is Borno Shall Rise Again, InShaa Allah.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by kernniejay(m): 9:24pm On Feb 21, 2022
The truth is that Nigeria has not had the government that is ready and willing ro crush boko haram and bandits. Jonathan had a slow government while Buhari has a sluggish government. These mumu governments have made Nigeria a conducive atmosphere for riffraffs from neighbouring countries to see Nigeria has a fertile land for their terrorism and banditry business.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by Mooh247: 9:46pm On Feb 21, 2022

Sadly Boko haram is more political than religious...

During Obasanjo and Yar'Aduas tenure

Obasanjo and PDP controlled Military, Paramilitary and Police to oppress and intimidate voters

Shekarau of Kano, Ali Modu Sherif of Borno and ANPP depended on Boko haram and Hisbah to rig election and intimidate voters

AD used OPC

ACN used NURTW

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by slivertongue: 11:20pm On Feb 21, 2022
BH was an evil plan that boomeranged

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by OneTwoOne(m): 11:27pm On Feb 21, 2022
@Emboldened, where did you get that from?

Oga stop saying what you don't know, what's just figment of your imagination
Mooh247:

Obasanjo and PDP controlled Military, Paramilitary and Police to oppress and intimidate voters

Shekarau of Kano, Ali Modu Sherif of Borno and ANPP depended on Boko haram and Hisbah to rig election and intimidate voters

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by Mooh247: 11:34pm On Feb 21, 2022
OneTwoOne:
@Emboldened, where did you get that from?

Oga stop saying what you don't know, what's just figment of your imagination[/b]

Not only did my blood brother spend 3 years as SBS elite forces Fighting Boko haram... Ali Modu Sherif, ANPP's involvement, recruitment and neglect of Boko haram members is available on many news platform

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by updatechange(m): 12:56am On Feb 22, 2022
Good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by watersideboys: 7:01am On Feb 22, 2022
Baba die na please die . why why are you still alive

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by OMYKROIN: 7:01am On Feb 22, 2022
Lol
Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by b0rn2fuck(m): 7:05am On Feb 22, 2022
And Ogun state still has the worst everything, worst roads.worst electricity. High rate of insecurity and Baba rule for 8 years but we are quick to blame norther for not helping us develop our own

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by usagee36: 7:06am On Feb 22, 2022
Northern Nigeria will fall like Afghanistan maybe after Buhari. The northern leaders know the truth why they force one Nigeria. They don't have where to run too if it happens.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by GreatAxeMan: 7:06am On Feb 22, 2022
Rise again to what? Even before the insurgency you were poor and wretched.
The future will be even worse for you because the time is coming when you won't be able to use the resources of the West, East or Niger Delta to fight your mor0nic islamic wars. That's when your real suffering will begin.

ProudBornoBoy:
The Boko Haram insurgency was a crisis that was mismanaged right from it early stage, the state government as at then handled it with kid gloves until it became a menace the federal government couldn’t handle also. It left my people struggling as the cold hands of death, in pains and sorrow, in anguish and famine, in dejection and hopelessness, it is the most terrifying experience my state have tasted in recent history, a chapter we still haven’t closed, where brothers killed their brothers, sons killed their father, all for what reason? Propagation of false doctrines!, the masses stranded in between terrorist and the military, and yet this same killers are been set free, who do we blame? Our leaders, our elders, ourselves, all I can say is Borno Shall Rise Again, InShaa Allah.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by Nobody: 7:12am On Feb 22, 2022
The political, religious, financial, tribalism sides of terrorism

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by nairalee(m): 7:15am On Feb 22, 2022
Xx
Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by Crucialgem(m): 7:16am On Feb 22, 2022
I see the end of boko haram and their sponsorers .
I see north Nigeria becoming great like before
I see Nigerians become more united
I see Nigeria become a great country

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:21am On Feb 22, 2022
Lai mohd wat do u hv to say
Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by tamdun: 7:21am On Feb 22, 2022
Mooh247:

AD used OPC

ACN used NURTW

AD used OPC? How, u better go check ur history well, it was pdp lead by Gej that gave gani Adams pipeline contract...

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by Enemyofpeace: 7:25am On Feb 22, 2022
watersideboys:
Baba die na please die . why why are you still alive
try get sense small now, even if na mosquito brain, try get am

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by Decency2020(f): 7:27am On Feb 22, 2022
Crucialgem:
I see the end of boko haram and their sponsorers .
I see north Nigeria becoming great like before
I see Nigerians become more united
I see Nigeria become a great country

Go and use your eye drop abeg

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by RandyOku: 7:28am On Feb 22, 2022
ProudBornoBoy:

SHARAPgrin

Borno will NEVER RISE!!!

Tell NL how many LGA BOKOHARAM now controls in Bornogrin

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by ProudBornoBoy(m): 7:29am On Feb 22, 2022
GreatAxeMan:
The future will be even worse for you because the time is coming when you won't be able to use the resources of the West, East or Niger Delta to fight your mor0nic islamic wars. That's when your real suffering will begin.

You’re just a disgruntled person, you think every northerner cares about the oil, the masses don’t benefit from it, it is the elite, so channel this your energy to the northern elite, even your own elite are using the resources for their own gain, you’re just here shouting.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by Bestbeelieve: 7:33am On Feb 22, 2022
civil war weapons kwa!abegii jonathans effort was yielding fruit with the South African mercenaries until apc and tinubu and bhari decided to call it off!

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by Candidlady: 7:35am On Feb 22, 2022
GreatAxeMan:

Kindly take your negativity far from this thread undecided
Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by ProudBornoBoy(m): 7:38am On Feb 22, 2022
RandyOku:

SHARAPgrin

Borno will NEVER RISE!!!

Tell NL how many LGA BOKOHARAM now controls in Bornogrin

So it’s a thing of joy to y’all, pathetic.
Re: Obasanjo: What Boko Haram Members Told Me When We Met In 2011 by juman(m): 7:39am On Feb 22, 2022
Aremu obasanjo, oloriburuku oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Presidency: Northern Elders Move Against Obasanjo / Border Closure: Obasanjo Says Benin Republic Must Mend Its Ways With Nigeria / EFCC Arrested Okorocha Over ₦7.9 Billion Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.