Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor (5977 Views)

Rivers Rerun: PDP Releases Photos, Alleges FG Doles Out Billions To APC Rivers / Emeka Offor Signs $10 Million To Carter Center For SE/SS Projects / Arthur Eze Na Ikpo And Emeka Offor Who Is Richer...please I Am In A Hot Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by ZnO: 2:12am On Jun 27, 2011
Anyim, Obi, Okorocha hail Offor’s Foundation
By Nwanosike Onu 2 hours 8 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

Secretary to the Government of the Federation Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State and his Imo State counterpart inability to pay Rochas Okorocha have hailed Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain, Sir Emeka Offor’s concern for the needy.

Sir Emeka Offor Foundation (SOEF),in collaboration with Books for Africa (BFA),USA distributed over one million books and educational materials to 30 universities in the country.

Over 100 secondary schools and 100 primary schools were given laptops and desktops worth over N900 million by the Foundation.

The distribution was done according to the six geo-political zones, with each benefiting school fully represented on the occasion at the Oraifite Town Hall in Ekwusigo Local Government of Anambra State at the weekend.

Director- General of the National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) Paul Orhii; former Chief Executive Officer of Nigerian Copyright Commission (NCC), Ernest Ndukwe; Primate of the Anglican Communion, Rev. Peter Akinola, among others, attended the event.

Anyim said the distribution of the books would afford the children the opportunity of imbibing a reading culture.

Okorocha said that life is useless without providing for the needy.

He said: “Any rich man, whose wealth does not go round is a poor man and this is the reason why I am here today.”

Obi hailed Offor’s gesture and urged the people to support the less privileged in the society.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/10592-anyim%2C-obi%2C-okorocha-hail-offor%E2%80%99s-foundation.html
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by aloyemeka1: 2:13am On Jun 27, 2011
Thanks mr offor
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by dempeople(m): 2:49am On Jun 27, 2011
From former Julius Berger driver to a big shot businessman with interests in oil, construction and politics. Interesting world.
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by EzeUche1(m): 2:52am On Jun 27, 2011
I am in support of all these Igbo philanthropist. cheesy
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by ak47mann(m): 2:54am On Jun 27, 2011
welcome development cool cool
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by chigo4u: 3:26am On Jun 27, 2011
Nice one offor. Instead of those too much spending on politicians, let the poor get some of that
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by OAM4J: 5:48am On Jun 27, 2011
Good one!
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by 9dynasty(m): 8:08am On Jun 27, 2011
now here's the true essence of being a billionaire or wealthy-helping the poor, God bless you more sir
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by Demdem(m): 8:36am On Jun 27, 2011
i see two aims here.
1) helping the needy and poor which should be encouraged. kudos to him.
2) Preparing the ground for an Igbo presidency, lets see how it goes
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by hakanai(m): 10:01am On Jun 27, 2011
commendable !!!!
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by rasputinn(m): 11:16am On Jun 27, 2011
**[size=5pt]Deleted[/size]**
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:04pm On Jun 27, 2011
He has come a long way from destroying all Nigeria's refineries by not executing a pinch of TAM (Turn Around Maintenance) since the IBB regime till they all collapsed from lack of repair and maintenance - I guess our memories as as short as our noses. tongue PDP Chieftain indeed, Father of Igbo Philanthropy lipsrsealed
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by niblog(m): 11:04am On Jun 28, 2011
However you look at it, this is commendable. We need to encourage other Nigerian Elites to take their cue from Mr. Offor.
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by Kx: 11:07am On Jun 28, 2011
Demdem:

i see two aims here.
1) helping the needy and poor which should be encouraged. kudos to him.
2) Preparing the ground for an Igbo presidency, lets see how it goes

Must everything have a political angle??
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by member479760: 11:13am On Jun 28, 2011
Good anyway, if he didn't do it, when he die the paper called money will not go with him. he used the money to buy himself good legacy.

Ofi owo ra iyi na ni ooo!
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by rusher14: 11:19am On Jun 28, 2011
I'm rather sceptical about this Emeka Offor's Bank (Afex for those who care) is distressed and hasn't been in operation for a good few years now. I don't see how he managed the 900 million naira gesture except the sources didn't get their facts right.
I know this would be shouted down in no time but try and balance your thinking before slaughtering.
We would like a list of institutions that got the laptops and who collected it on their behalf before we begin to give praise. of course if true kudos should be given. shocked
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 28, 2011
He, Emeka cannot be the father of Igbo philantropy by virtue of a single gesture. Do you know how much somebody like Okorocha has expended on Philantropy over the years? Some others happen and go unnoticed. But I commend Emeka Offor's gesture and the fact that he distributed it over the six geopolitical zones. I crave for detrabilized personalities like this. Even if he stole our money b4 and he later decided to return it, he is wellcome. Many others stole and buried it in their graves. I see the world's richest man coming from Nigeria someday. But, God let him be a philantropist.

1 Like

Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by johnjoel(m): 11:21am On Jun 28, 2011
embarassed ;DGod bless him
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by koyaabj: 11:31am On Jun 28, 2011
This man has taking so much from the country, so giving back some of that he takes is not bad he should do more by spending 80% of what he loot in conivance with others on the chidren and less priviledged before GOD calls him.

Nigeria invest so much money to discover oil in sao tome, only for few people like Emeka to grab the business.

Ask yr self when Obaseki refused to play ball with him and Ngige too refuse to do same, did he donate anything anywhere in the country, God dey shaaa, grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 28, 2011
koyaabj:

This man has taking so much from the country, so giving back some of that he takes is not bad he should do more by spending 80% of what he loot in conivance with others on the chidren and less priviledged before GOD calls him.

Nigeria invest so much money to discover oil in sao tome, only for few people like Emeka to grab the business.

Ask yr self when Obaseki refused to play ball with him and Ngige too refuse to do same, did he donate anything anywhere in the country, God dey shaaa, grin grin grin grin grin

Lame
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by chamber2(m): 11:51am On Jun 28, 2011
Over 100 secondary schools and 100 primary schools were given laptops and desktops worth over N900 million by the Foundation.

Even though i commend the efforts of the donor, but donating laptops to pry and secondary sch students is pure malapropism.An average Nigerian university student has no computer, and these are people who are expected to engage in research and all that.Why not do not the laptops to the university students?

Also, most of the books donated will find themselves in the bookshops soon, no thanks to our corrupt sec sch principals and VCs.During my time at the uni, books were donated by our US based alumni, surprisingly these books never came into the library.They were all sold.

Kudos to them anyway.
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by marocguy(m): 12:01pm On Jun 28, 2011
nyc one, emeka offor. Anyways only his plaza in onitcha market would generate this donation in a year. While we acknowledge that almost all nigerian billionaires made it illegally,looting,fraud,govt influenced monopoly,etc. only a few of them have eva thought of philantropist acts lyk this. Rochas,emeka offor nw. Where are billionaires from other zones?
BTW you dont eva see Ileke-idi in threads lyk this
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by HighChief4(m): 12:09pm On Jun 28, 2011
This is really commendable
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by sley4life(m): 12:55pm On Jun 28, 2011
May God bless u a thousand folds. Later some idi.ots here will say Igbo's are stingy. Now what can they say about this gesture. Even Dangote hasnt done such. All we know he does is create jobs and give funds to corrupt baztard politician in the country for Campaign. Your reward is in Heaven if people down here on earth wont show gratitude for your effort
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by dustydee: 1:11pm On Jun 28, 2011
chamber2:

Even though i commend the efforts of the donor, but donating laptops to pry and secondary sch students is pure malapropism.An average Nigerian university student has no computer, and these are people who are expected to engage in research and all that.Why not do not the laptops to the university students?

Also, most of the books donated will find themselves in the bookshops soon, no thanks to our corrupt sec sch principals and VCs.During my time at the uni, books were donated by our US based alumni, surprisingly these books never came into the library.They were all sold.

Kudos to them anyway.
I also questioned the same logic when GEJ gave laptops to some secondary school students and not the schools.it was more like a gift to his people rather than for the benefit of the society.
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by Mpetempe(m): 1:14pm On Jun 28, 2011
Some fools dont appreciate good gestures.

SIR. EMEKA OFFOR God bless u for caring for the poor, live long we will continue praying for u.
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by phillipe: 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2011
IT'S ALRIGHT
YOU ARE ALL WELCOME
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by obailala(m): 2:55pm On Jun 28, 2011
"If Rochas can share a portion of his wealth to the poor and they made him governor, maybe if i share a portion of mine, they might make me governor or president one day" grin grin
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by obailala(m): 2:57pm On Jun 28, 2011
Kx:

Must everything have a political angle??
of course it's political. 9ja politicians are very predictable just like home videos
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 28, 2011
This is what we want in Igbo land, then we can say to hell with GEJ as toilet kitchen cabinet, Nwokem, nma-nma!!!
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 28, 2011
It saddens me a lot to see that Nigerians have come to be distrustful of wealth. As far as most Nigerians are concerned, any wealthy person among them is a thief, fraudster, criminal, monopolist, looter and all what not, Haba!!

If you make it in Nigeria today, then you must be a thief and criminal angry Anyways that is the damage poverty and deprivation does to people's psyche.
Re: Emeka Offor Donates Some Of His Billions To The Poor by johnie: 4:10pm On Jun 28, 2011
ZnO:

former Chief Executive Officer of Nigerian Copyright Commission (NCC), Ernest Ndukwe; Primate of the Anglican Communion, Rev. Peter Akinola, among others, attended the event.
angry

Why do these journalists misinform their readers?

1. Ernest Ndukwe is the immediate past executive vice chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission not Copyright Commission

2. Peter Akinola is the immediate past Primate of the Anglican Communion (Church of Nigeria). The present primate is Nicholas Okoh. So which of the two actually attended the event?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Dangers Of Being Black In India / Inverter Dealer In Lagos, Nigeria Gives Inverter Plus Battery For Only N55,000 / The Minister Of Finance- Mrs Kemi Adeosun Was Actually Corect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.