Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,061 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Learning Backend Web Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Learning Backend Web Development (1960 Views)

Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development / Complete Backend Web Development At A Very Cheap Price / Should I Learn For Backend Web Development : Python, Php , Javascript And Ruby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning Backend Web Development by Adek15(m): 11:36am On Feb 24, 2022
Hi guys.

I want to venture into programming (backend Web development using python and django) and I want to learn on my own using online materials and YouTube.

With the research I've done, I'm supposed to learn many skills to become a backend Web developer which includes:
Python programming language
Django framework
Html
Css
Postgresql
Boostrap
Some javascript
Note: I chose these skills as against their counterparts e.g I chose python instead of php, I chose django instead of flask etc.

Now, the issue is I've followed a particular YouTube video from beginning to end which focused on python and django. the html, css and javascript were pre-written and I discovered that I need the skills listed above but I don't know which to learn first and to what extent as I wouldn't want to waste my time learning what is not required to becoming a backend Web developer.

I tried building a project on my own and discovered my knowledge is very rudimentary.

Please I need help from whoever is in this field/niche to guide me. I really need the guidance.

Thank you
Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Johnnyessence(m): 11:58am On Feb 24, 2022
Adek15:
Hi guys.

I want to venture into programming (backend Web development using python and django) and I want to learn on my own using online materials and YouTube.

With the research I've done, I'm supposed to learn many skills to become a backend Web developer which includes:
Python programming language
Django framework
Html
Css
Postgresql
Boostrap
Some javascript
Note: I chose these skills as against their counterparts e.g I chose python instead of php, I chose django instead of flask etc.

Now, the issue is I've followed a particular YouTube video from beginning to end which focused on python and django. the html, css and javascript were pre-written and I discovered that I need the skills listed above but I don't know which to learn first and to what extent as I wouldn't want to waste my time learning what is not required to becoming a backend Web developer.

I tried building a project on my own and discovered my knowledge is very rudimentary.

Please I need help from whoever is in this field/niche to guide me. I really need the guidance.

Thank you

first learn html, css, JavaScript Before venturing into python, django.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Adek15(m): 11:02pm On Feb 25, 2022
Johnnyessence:
first learn html, css, JavaScript Before venturing into python, django.
OK. Thank you
Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Johnnyessence(m): 2:25am On Feb 26, 2022
Adek15:
OK. Thank you
you are welcome
Re: Learning Backend Web Development by DC49: 9:05am On Feb 26, 2022
It'll be a little bit difficult for you to get into backend if you're a complete newbie, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

The first thing you'll need is the desire to learn. From your write-up I see you have that already, so go and learn the basics of HTML and CSS. Don't go too deep, and leave JavaScript since your target is not frontend.

When you're done with that, get the Python Crash Course book by Eric Matthews. It'll teach you everything you need to know about Python. Also learn how to use git and GitHub then start pushing your code, and use leetcode once in a while to practice data structures and algorithms.

After this, go to YouTube and search for Denis Ivy. He has a lot quality Django videos where you'll get a chance to learn Django while building real life projects. When you feel you're comfortable with normal Django, about 50% of your journey is complete.

Backend devs usually build APIs and the normal Django is more suited for a monolithic app, so you'll need to learn Django-rest-framework. It's a library that helps you build rest APIs with Django. Go to their website. They have a very good documtation. You can also check a few YouTube playlists on that.

When you're done, build a to-do API to help you practice CRUD operations. Go a little bit further and add user accounts creation and login to help you practice authentication.

At this point you're almost ready. Go to the tutorial section of the FastApi website and learn that too. It's very self explanatory. When you're done, build that to-do API again with FastAPI.

At this point you're almost ready to be hired. What is left is Docker. All of the places I've worked at use it for containerization. Get a video on YouTube that explains how to use it. When you're done, containerize the two backends you made above.

After this, look for a complex project you can think of. Maybe an ecommerce or social media app. Build the backend, containerize it and deploy on digital ocean or AWS. Here you'll get the chance to learn about nginx, SSL and general server management.

If you can dedicate 3 - 5 hours every single day to this, I expect you should complete that curriculum within 6 to 8 months. Practice on leetcode, set up your LinkedIn profile and start applying for jobs. Make sure your GitHub shows that you're active because that is very important for someone starting out. Push code everyday!

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Johnnyessence(m): 12:29pm On Feb 26, 2022
DC49:
It'll be a little bit difficult for you to get into backend if you're a complete newbie, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

The first thing you'll need is the desire to learn. From your write-up I see you have that already, so go and learn the basics of HTML and CSS. Don't go too deep, and leave JavaScript since your target is not frontend.

When you're done with that, get the Python Crash Course book by Eric Matthews. It'll teach you everything you need to know about Python. Also learn how to use git and GitHub then start pushing your code, and use leetcode once in a while to practice data structures and algorithms.

After this, go to YouTube and search for Denis Ivy. He has a lot quality Django videos where you'll get a chance to learn Django while building real life projects. When you feel you're comfortable with normal Django, about 50% of your journey is complete.

Backend devs usually build APIs and the normal Django is more suited for a monolithic app, so you'll need to learn Django-rest-framework. It's a library that helps you build rest APIs with Django. Go to their website. They have a very good documtation. You can also check a few YouTube playlists on that.

When you're done, build a to-do API to help you practice CRUD operations. Go a little bit further and add user accounts creation and login to help you practice authentication.

At this point you're almost ready. Go to the tutorial section of the FastApi website and learn that too. It's very self explanatory. When you're done, build that to-do API again with FastAPI.

At this point you're almost ready to be hired. What is left is Docker. All of the places I've worked at use it for containerization. Get a video on YouTube that explains how to use it. When you're done, containerize the two backends you made above.

After this, look for a complex project you can think of. Maybe an ecommerce or social media app. Build the backend, containerize it and deploy on digital ocean or AWS. Here you'll get the chance to learn about nginx, SSL and general server management.

If you can dedicate 3 - 5 hours every single day to this, I expect you should complete that curriculum within 6 to 8 months. Practice on leetcode, set up your LinkedIn profile and start applying for jobs. Make sure your GitHub shows that you're active because that is very important for someone starting out. Push code everyday!
you are very right here.
Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 07, 2022
When are the moderators going to ban this cindy222 or whatever disgusting name she has.
Programming section is being heavily spammed by this person.
Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Cindy222(f): 12:53pm On Mar 08, 2022
Kellzzyy:
When are the moderators going to ban this cindy222 or whatever disgusting name she has.
Programming section is being heavily spammed by this person.

I cannot see myself insulting back nah....I am above that nonsense.

So you can say what you like, I don't care.

Anyway that's by the way.

I am sharing what I share to help people who are interested in tech and don't know how to start or where to start from, people interested in remote jobs etc.

So many people lack the right information related to the tech world because of too much resources out there,they need help.

So if I see an avenue to share as much as I can when I have the time, I will.

I am also attending because I am a newbie, I know how long it took me to find my footing without help, I will do what I can to make it easier for others, so if you're not interested, just close your eyes or scroll away.

THANK YOU.

1 Like

Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 08, 2022
Cindy222:

I am sharing what I share to help people who are interested in tech and don't know how to start or where to start from, people interested in remote jobs etc.

So many people lack the right information related to the tech world because of too much resources out there,they need help.

I am also attending because I am a newbie, I know how long it took me to find my footing without help, I will do what I can to make it easier for others, so if you're not interested, just close your eyes or scroll away.

THANK YOU.
You are spamming the section.
Sometimes good intentions can be carried out the wrong way.

There are better ways to go about it, and not byheavily spamming the section.
Re: Learning Backend Web Development by BlaqFaze: 6:26pm On Mar 08, 2022
Cindy222:

THANK YOU.
Stop spamming... it's better if you run ads undecided
Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Adek15(m): 1:03am On Mar 15, 2022
DC49:

I just finished html and css. I was about going into js before seeing your post. I read somewhere I'll need to know ajax too and it's written in js. Is it a must?

thank you. It seem scary but I'll try my best
Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Vecto(m): 11:24pm On Apr 04, 2023
Adek15:
thank you. It seem scary but I'll try my best
How far? Are you done?
Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Adek15(m): 10:34pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vecto:
How far? Are you done?
still learning. I want to register in an online school now
Re: Learning Backend Web Development by Shomek(m): 8:01pm On Feb 01
Adek15:
still learning. I want to register in an online school now
pls give me some of the website you are learning from

(1) (Reply)

Lets Start A Thread For Solving Problems From Projecteuler.net / The RedMonk Programming Language Rankings: January 2016 / Learn How To Build Websites With Java EE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.