Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,852 members, 7,813,905 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? (19578 Views)

Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by elasticlala: 11:14am On Feb 25, 2022
Please I need your candid advise on this issue. I have never been this confused on what to do. I have been working for some years as an Assistant lecturer in a Private University with a gross pay of 113k per month. I completed my PhD last year and got 3 other offers in Nigeria, the highest was of 177k per month as L2. I had already filled the agreement form to resume there by March 1st, which is just about 4 days from now. Just as I was about moving out my thing yesterday from my current place of work to the new place, I got an offer from another African country to resume 15th of March for a Government Academic job of a monthly salary of 1000 USD which comes with a monthly accommodation allowance of 100 USD and nothing more.

I am lost in the pool of consideration & don’t even know which would be the best for me in my career.

NB: pls don’t mind my grammar o; my PhD is in Computer Science and not in Linguistics and languages.

Thank you in anticipation

113 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Nobody: 11:23am On Feb 25, 2022
I think career progression entails you to move From one better organisation to the other ..

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by dawnomike(m): 11:23am On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:
Please I need your candid advise on this issue. I have never been this confused on what to do. I have been working for some years as an Assistant lecturer in a Private University with a gross pay of 113k per month. I completed my PhD last year and got 3 other offers in Nigeria, the highest was of 177k per month as L2. I had already filled the agreement form to resume there by March 1st, which is just about 4 days from now. Just as I was about moving out my thing yesterday from my current place of work to the new place, I got an offer from another African country to resume 15th of March for a Government Academic job of a monthly salary of 1000 USD which comes with a monthly accommodation allowance of 100 USD and nothing more.

I am lost in the pool of consideration & don’t even know which would be the best for me in my career.

NB: pls don’t mind my grammar o; my PhD is in Computer Science and not in Linguistics and languages.

I see no dilemma here... Go for the one that pays you in dollars as your salary increments over time will still be in dollars

119 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Izprince(m): 11:33am On Feb 25, 2022
If the $1k job is in a good African country, don't waste time. GO!

111 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by sageb: 12:00pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:

If the offer is from a good country with better opportunities for career growth, then accept it and travel abroad.

49 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Sunofgod(m): 1:54pm On Feb 25, 2022
Go

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by MAGG0T(m): 1:55pm On Feb 25, 2022
shocked

Suffer no dey tire you??.

102 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Kenny242(m): 1:56pm On Feb 25, 2022
Are you for real cos I see no confusion or dilemma here.

Go for the one that pays u in dollars because with increase in dollar value then it means your salary Is increasing automatically.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Prechgold1180(m): 1:56pm On Feb 25, 2022
Go

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by jabberjawz: 1:56pm On Feb 25, 2022
Take the offer from the African country, build your experience, it's always an advantage when it's listed in your resume that you have worked outside your home country. Work like a year or 2 & target Post Doc opportunities in abroadians countries... smiley

You also stand a chance of collaborating with other peers from partner universities & private sector. Trust me, African universities enjoy exchange programs with partner universities abroad.

It's always easier to relocate abroad from other African countries as compared to moving from Nigeria.... from experience UK, US, Canada, Australia & EU countries have relaxed visa application conditions in other African countries compared to applying for visa/work permit from Nigeria (We too get coconut head 4 Naija)

Lastly, convert 1,000$ at black market rate...& do the maths... smiley

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Ddonoflife(m): 1:56pm On Feb 25, 2022
Ask God to direct u

22 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Samiah33(m): 1:56pm On Feb 25, 2022
Think very well.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by BigDawsNet: 1:56pm On Feb 25, 2022
grin

I think you should come and be going

Dr. I think you should consider moving to that African country... $1k/m is not bad for a start... You can do alot with that if you manage it well compared to less Dan 200k in Nigeria for a whole Doctor of philosophy in computer science

Brother you deserve better...

And with your level of education in computer science... Let me assume you can code up to 4 programming languages....

I think you can also register for side hustle
I'm talking about freelancing... At your free time... The income can be additional

25 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Juanmike(m): 1:56pm On Feb 25, 2022
Stay

1 Like

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Virgo01(m): 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2022
Accept the $1k job if it's a decent country and the chances of career progression are high. Moving to another country will also broaden your horizons and open you up to better opportunities imho.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Ddonoflife(m): 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2022
Kenny242:
C
for cow
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by bigdammyj: 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2022
Follow your mind
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by phemmyfour: 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:

Na wá o....the kain PhDs we have these days. Anyway, Japa. Even as a fresh graduate, 177k is poor with today's economy

16 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by nautybride: 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2022
grin I don't see confusion here. It is clear you need to widen your horizon. Ain't you tired of the same environ?

6 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by TCD: 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2022
Which african country is this? Better to specify so we can advise you better before you leave fry pan enter fire

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by DevilsEqual(m): 1:58pm On Feb 25, 2022
No be dilemma be this na
You're in between the better and the best
Sir, the $1k is the best

6 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Aplaudez(m): 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2022
I like the fact that we're in the same field, please and please go for it, and leave this zoo called Naija. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by allen113: 1:59pm On Feb 25, 2022
Hmm
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by SaintAY(m): 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2022
Explain how your career growth in Nigeria would be?
Even some Professors in Nigeria don't earn 1000USD, you leaving your country alone is career growth, but seek the nature and environment of the job, worse come to worse you'd could come back to your country, Ph.D no dey expire. Above all Pray

10 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Offpoint1: 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2022
sad
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by rhymesnoni(m): 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2022
Oga, Jakpa comot for this zoo joor.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by ebuka440: 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2022
I will advice you to go for the one in an African country because if the $1000 is in American dollars, then you will be earning 568,000 which is far better than 177k in Nigeria plus $100 dollars which is 56,800.
Your chances of getting a better employment in another country or salary increase will be based on your performances in that country.
If you are not married, I will strongly advise you to marry as that will help to boost your chances of being of good conduct and will also separate you from women's ass.
Like me, I recently got an offer to come to Australia which I can't even think twice before leaving.
I come in peace

15 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by jojo1415: 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2022
Go for the $1,000 job with allowance of $100...Nigeria is not worth dieing for...because there r chances of u getting promoted with time,they don't play stupid politics lik they do here in Nigeria when it comes to promotion. sad...I wish u good luck in ur future endeavours

8 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by West2019(m): 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2022
hope is not Togo dollar

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How The Nigerian Banking System Is Killing Employee Loyalty. / "I Laugh When I Hear Ladies In Uniform Are Stubborn" Female Frsc Official / CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.