Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,149 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? (19584 Views)

Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Adejumo7: 2:21pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:
Please I need your candid advise on this issue. I have never been this confused on what to do. I have been working for some years as an Assistant lecturer in a Private University with a gross pay of 113k per month. I completed my PhD last year and got 3 other offers in Nigeria, the highest was of 177k per month as L2. I had already filled the agreement form to resume there by March 1st, which is just about 4 days from now. Just as I was about moving out my thing yesterday from my current place of work to the new place, I got an offer from another African country to resume 15th of March for a Government Academic job of a monthly salary of 1000 USD which comes with a monthly accommodation allowance of 100 USD and nothing more.

I am lost in the pool of consideration & don’t even know which would be the best for me in my career.

NB: pls don’t mind my grammar o; my PhD is in Computer Science and not in Linguistics and languages.

Thank you in anticipation

Go and pray

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by GodisFirst: 2:21pm On Feb 25, 2022
Congratulations, take the job with the African University. But don't forget to aspire for better jobs.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by passover221(m): 2:22pm On Feb 25, 2022
The way you dey ask for advice ontop this simple matter make me dey doubt your PhD oo.

Tell us the truth, you get PhD Tru Tru??
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by MarioKizito1(m): 2:22pm On Feb 25, 2022
Go for the one that pays in dollars, as the Nigerian economy keeps getting worse by the day. But put the new country into consideration. Does it have a promising economy and the institution employing you, does your background check show them to be genuine and has a long operation expectancy?
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by celestine2015: 2:29pm On Feb 25, 2022
Congratulations.
Every body is advising u to go to the African country, without knowing which country it is.
Pls, advise yourself accordingly and stop seeking advice online cos you'll end up being confused.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Lari03r(m): 2:30pm On Feb 25, 2022
568k before allowances... Bros go and pray, but on the surface, I will choose the African country.

A friend who is a PhD student in Spain went to Netherlands for an opportunity to collaborate internationally.

So, take the opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by elasticlala: 2:30pm On Feb 25, 2022
I sincerely thank all of you for your words of advice and encouragement. God bless you richly. A word is truly enough for the wise…

1 Like

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by shinealight(m): 2:33pm On Feb 25, 2022
TCD:
Which african country is this? Better to specify so we can advise you better before you leave fry pan enter fire

True talk, if it’s South Africa where they hate their fellow African brothers and want to kill them for suya, better to think twice o! grin grin
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Leebeedo(m): 2:44pm On Feb 25, 2022
Brother, I used to be a lecturer in Nigeria, a federal university for that matter but I left and I thank God everyday for giving me the courage to leave that job that is seen as extremely lucrative.

Spread your wings and fly before it gets too late!
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by HilcomTech(m): 2:47pm On Feb 25, 2022
The Op is just bragging because he knows exactly what he wants for the following reasons

1) He is well educated person and cannot be in any confusion
2) The salaries are not even close
3) The opportunities for career growth are miles apart.

elasticlala would pick the dollar job.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by AgentGoat: 2:51pm On Feb 25, 2022
West2019:
hope is not Togo dollar

Even if na togo make him go
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Juliearth(f): 2:52pm On Feb 25, 2022
Go!
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by ibechris(m): 2:52pm On Feb 25, 2022
Your black market salary is 570k, what then are waiting for my brother?

Pls,be fast.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by kapelvej: 2:53pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:
Please I need your candid advise on this issue. I have never been this confused on what to do. I have been working for some years as an Assistant lecturer in a Private University with a gross pay of 113k per month. I completed my PhD last year and got 3 other offers in Nigeria, the highest was of 177k per month as L2. I had already filled the agreement form to resume there by March 1st, which is just about 4 days from now. Just as I was about moving out my thing yesterday from my current place of work to the new place, I got an offer from another African country to resume 15th of March for a Government Academic job of a monthly salary of 1000 USD which comes with a monthly accommodation allowance of 100 USD and nothing more.

I am lost in the pool of consideration & don’t even know which would be the best for me in my career.

NB: pls don’t mind my grammar o; my PhD is in Computer Science and not in Linguistics and languages.

If it is a French speaking , then just go, learn french and run to Canada
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by lagdmark(m): 2:56pm On Feb 25, 2022
Ddonoflife:
Ask God to direct u
God has already built in us sense of direction and the will power to chose, develop and use it and stop thinking like trees & plants
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by iguita: 2:58pm On Feb 25, 2022
I will recommend you go for the offer that pays in $. However, check the standard of living there first ooo. Some countries have high cost of living, like Angola.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by nurain150(m): 3:03pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:

Highest paid job please
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by princewarri1985: 3:06pm On Feb 25, 2022
Even the dumbest person in the whole of planet earth knows that the 1000 USD job is the best job for you to choose! The kind of questions some nairalanders ask ehn is very annoying. And lastly i believed you paid your way through your phd programe because so ssce holders write better than this, even though your phd is on computer science, thats still no excuse
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Scanty47(f): 3:09pm On Feb 25, 2022
Are u not tired of suffering in Nigeria?
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by BOONDOCKS: 3:10pm On Feb 25, 2022
Leave am make e de ask question there!
MAGG0T:
shocked

Suffer no dey tire you??.

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Scanty47(f): 3:10pm On Feb 25, 2022
princewarri1985
post=110540704:

Even the dumbest person in the whole of planet earth knows that the 1000 USD job is the best job for you to choose! The kind of questions some nairalanders ask ehn is very annoying. And lastly i believed you paid your way through your phd programe because so ssce holders write better than this, even though your phd is on computer science, thats still no excuse

U get bad mouth oo grin
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by CoronaVirusPro: 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:

Hello!

Leave and immigrate legitimately! Sky is your limit! $1k is an insult to your caliber.

Sacrifices you will make, but can promise you that, you going to be fvcking happy at the mid term
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by NuCypher: 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:

Dude, no fall hand. If it's Togo or Benin, then that's good. If it's Angola or South Africa, then it's bad. Depends on the African country.
But then, bros, you are a computer science PhD. You should try applying to remote jobs that will probably pay you more than $5k. Why haven't you done that yet?
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by gistmega: 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2022
why are you all so negative about Nigeria?
Aplaudez:
I like the fact that we're in the same field, please and please go for it, and leave this zoo called Naija. cheesy
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by elasticlala: 3:16pm On Feb 25, 2022
princewarri1985:

Seriously? Paid way through PhD obtained from the prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University? A PhD research supervised by two Professors and defended before 7 Professors ? U are really not saying anything sensible here. … I don’t want to say more pls. Read the post and if u couldn’t understand what I wrote up there, simply ignore and keep mute.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by AKWATGOLD1(m): 3:17pm On Feb 25, 2022
Are you sure no be Audio $1000 salary from the African country?
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Archworld(m): 3:23pm On Feb 25, 2022
dawnomike:
I see no dilemma here... Go for the one that pays you in dollars as your salary increments over time will still be in dollars

Africans too like dollars grin grin
I knew someone will definitely say this cheesy
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by NickD(m): 3:25pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:

Go for the highest offer. Don't think twice about it.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by dawnomike(m): 3:33pm On Feb 25, 2022
Archworld:

Africans too like dollars grin grin
I knew someone will definitely say this cheesy
My brother, i make money in both naira and sometimes dollars... The difference is clear

1 Like

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Perfecttouchade: 3:51pm On Feb 25, 2022
U still dey ask question? Naira and Dollar which one get value?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"I Laugh When I Hear Ladies In Uniform Are Stubborn" Female Frsc Official / How The Nigerian Banking System Is Killing Employee Loyalty. / CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.