Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,029 members, 7,818,036 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages (530 Views)

I Gave Up On Programming. I'm Tired Of Programming. I Need To Rest. / MTN Momo Hack: The Dangerous Aspect Of Programming No One Tells You About / Mathematics As Backbone Of Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by digitite: 2:31pm On Feb 25, 2022
For example HTML5, CSS3, PHP 8, MYSQL 8. Does it make coding easy to understand and readable ? How crucial are they to your Projects ? Or do you still prefer using old undated languages ?
Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by airsaylongcome: 5:58pm On Feb 25, 2022
Versions are not so important as understanding the underlying concepts.

Select * from employees; is the same whether you run it on MySQL 8 or 5.7
Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by stanliwise(m): 7:04pm On Feb 25, 2022
digitite:
For example HTML5, CSS3, PHP 8, MYSQL 8. Does it make coding easy to understand and readable ? How crucial are they to your Projects ? Or do you still prefer using old undated languages ?
outdate languages and tools are not really a choice especially when building a non-personal project. you're forced is the idea rather than you having a free will to stick to old tools. everyone just follows up the updates and you have no choice.
Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by digitite: 8:14pm On Feb 25, 2022
stanliwise:
outdate languages and tools are not really a choice especially when building a non-personal project. you're forced is the idea rather than you having a free will to stick to old tools. everyone just follows up the updates and you have no choice.

Great response. Exactly what I wanted to hear. I have passion for updates and upgrades for software's, websites, applications, programming languages and tools. When one keep up with it and adhere to the rules and regulations, it makes one a better Developer.
Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by digitite: 8:23pm On Feb 25, 2022
airsaylongcome:
Versions are not so important as understanding the underlying concepts.

Select * from employees; is the same whether you run it on MySQL 8 or 5.7

It is very important. I use Android 4.4 and the best Apps out there that works with the latest updates and upgrades can work on my phone and lower versions and they don't consume Data. But if you don't put it into account, it can affect user experience. So many Apps or websites/Applications would rather say update your Operating system or perhaps get an upgraded device instead of working on their solutions.
Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by airsaylongcome: 8:43pm On Feb 25, 2022
digitite:

It is very important. I use Android 4.4 and the best Apps out there that works with the latest updates and upgrades can work on my phone and lower versions and they don't consume Data. But if you don't put it into account, it can affect user experience. So many Apps or websites/Applications would rather say update your Operating system or perhaps get an upgraded device instead of working on their solutions.

I thought the conversation was about Programming Languages not OS.

I repeat that versions aren't as important as understanding the underlying concepts.
Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by airsaylongcome: 8:47pm On Feb 25, 2022
digitite:

Great response. Exactly what I wanted to hear. I have passion for updates and upgrades for software's, websites, applications, programming languages and tools. When one keep up with it and adhere to the rules and regulations, it makes one a better Developer.

Have you heard what code regression is and how they impact software? You don't have to be on the bleeding edge version of a software. Especially not in a production setting. Microsoft Windows is in version 11 but I bet you that only a very tiny number of enterprise users are on Windows 11. More of them are on Windows 8 and 10. Java today is in JDK 18. But I bet you no serious enterprise grade software in production will be running JDK 17. Enterprises stick with the old reliables than rushing in to the new untested

2 Likes

Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by digitite: 9:01pm On Feb 25, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Have you heard what code regression is and how they impact software? You don't have to be on the bleeding edge version of a software. Especially not in a production setting. Microsoft Windows is in version 11 but I bet you that only a very tiny number of enterprise users are on Windows 11. More of them are on Windows 8 and 10. Java today is in JDK 18. But I bet you no serious enterprise grade software in production will be running JDK 17. Enterprises stick with the old reliables than rushing in to the new untested

Very right. Does newer versions makes learning the languages easier and readable ?
Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by digitite: 9:04pm On Feb 25, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I thought the conversation was about Programming Languages not OS.

I repeat that versions aren't as important as understanding the underlying concepts.

That's what I am saying that so many Apps and websites tend to request that one upgrade the OS. If they were written in the updated programming languages, I don't think that would be the case.
Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by airsaylongcome: 9:13pm On Feb 25, 2022
digitite:

Very right. Does newer versions makes learning the languages easier and readable ?

Nope. The fundamentals are the same irrespective of versions. System.out.println is the same irrespective of Java version
Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by airsaylongcome: 9:17pm On Feb 25, 2022
digitite:

That's what I am saying that so many Apps and websites tend to request that one upgrade the OS. If they were written in the updated programming languages, I don't think that would be the case.

You can write a program in the most recent version of a programming language (Java for example) that will run on old versions of Android. Upgrading the OS is needed only when you decide to use the newest features in the language that are not available in the older OS. An android program written years ago is more likely to install on a newer version of android than an new version of an app installing on the older OS.

Learn any version. Just focus on understanding the fundamentals

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by qtguru(m): 1:47am On Feb 26, 2022
Not too deep, just read Changelog or new features, sometimes your project might be too Big to re-write that can become a problem.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by digitite: 8:05am On Feb 26, 2022
airsaylongcome:

You can write a program in the most recent version of a programming language (Java for example) that will run on old versions of Android. Upgrading the OS is needed only when you decide to use the newest features in the language that are not available in the older OS. An android program written years ago is more likely to install on a newer version of android than an new version of an app installing on the older OS.

Learn any version. Just focus on understanding the fundamentals

You made a lot of great points. I shall stick with it.
Re: Your Opinion On Updated Versions of Programming Languages by digitite: 8:07am On Feb 26, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Nope. The fundamentals are the same irrespective of versions. System.out.println is the same irrespective of Java version

Okay I get you.

(1) (Reply)

Any Expert In Bash Scripting Here? / Softicu Hub: Best Computer Training Center In Abia State / Full Stack Developers Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.