Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,523 members, 7,836,998 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? (5017 Views)

N1.04trn Fine: We Expect No Operation Disruptions For Not Paying Fine —MTN / Analysts Foresee Painful, Hard Economic Adjustment Call For Behavioural Change F / Expect Hard Economic Decisions -jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by pokur: 2:06pm On Jun 28, 2011
Why do govt after govt in Nigeria talk about import regulation policy as a means of boosting local manufacturing?.Haven't they heard of infrastructural development as a means of attracting investors,local or foreign.BTW,all the talk of import regulation is simply blowing hot air unless they take us out of the WTO.Some posters here need to read up and get themselves informed before they show themselves up as ignoramuses.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Imeobong(m): 2:12pm On Jun 28, 2011
duno:

[size=8pt]“The private sector will play a key role. We will take hard decision that will appear painful to the ordinary people, but in the long run, it will be for the good of all."[/size]

Why we the ordinary people?

or why can't he use something like, “The private sector will play a key role. We will take hard decision that will appear painful to the ordinary people senators, state governors, ministers, myself members of d house of reps, commissioners etc , but in the long run, it will be for the good of all."

he is afraid of them, all his powers are on ordinary Nigerians   , wetin ordinary Nigerians do this man? abeg make una help me ask am,
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Odunnu: 2:16pm On Jun 28, 2011
Go on GEJ, you are taking too much time now.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by AK461(m): 2:25pm On Jun 28, 2011
GEJ is politely telling Nigerians that he is about to remove the subsidy on Petrol i.e full deregulation of the downstream sector which will make Nigerians to purchase fuel at about N128-140/liter. This increase will affect everything in Nigeria ranging from Commodity Prices, transportation, Cost of living etc and he will probably offer minimum wage in return.

It will be a wise decision if and only if he is able to utilize the proceeds of the subsidy wisely but it appears they will only be enriching themselves with the trillions they spend on this subsidy quarterly. i'm sure nigerians won't mind if this subsidy is removed if we have pipe-borne water, full time electricity, security of lives and property, food security, sound economy, lower interest rates, etc.

Now we expect more money to be laundered abroad by the Petroleum Industry stake holders and their family members.

May God help us redeem all that we have lost in this country.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by sweet9ja: 2:27pm On Jun 28, 2011
GEJ is right; no pain no gain. I would do same if I were in his shoes.
Reforming and restructuring is nothing new, govts all over the world use them to meet their economic plans.
If we really want to survive as a nation and grow to become an economic powerhouse, then, I'm afraid we have no other way out.
I strongly believe that;
1. Fuel subsidy, for exemple, should be gradually faced out.
2. Govt should introduce some form of road tax for all vehicle in Nigeria; fuel tax; or combination of both.
3. Commercial vehicle should be exempted from paying road tax.
4. The proceeds from these taxes should be invested in our road network.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by oracular: 2:44pm On Jun 28, 2011
why must he refer to ordinary people?
why can't he shave from the top, mindless people!!!
i'm losing hope in this GEJ and company
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by lafuria1(m): 2:48pm On Jun 28, 2011
hw sincere is d president is my problem. Past govt hv said d same tin. As some one said our economy cant grow wt out power. Removal of subsidy doesnt make sense if an oil producing nation cant refine its crude locally. U cant stop importation if d local industries are nt producing much. Wat other source of revenue is d govt looking at apart 4rm oil. Time will tell.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by lafuria1(m): 2:52pm On Jun 28, 2011
ORDINARY PEOPLE. Mr jona, refering 2 us as nigeria citizens would have been better.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by nateevs(m): 3:05pm On Jun 28, 2011
Putting the cart before the horse. . . . and always!. Just like the "building an airport in 36 states" statement, GEJ is out without another major error.

How are you going to encourage local industries without the appropriate infrastructural development? Lack of Electricity, bad roads, inefficient transport systems, little or no security, absurdly expensive building materials, just to mention a few.

How do you improve local produce with all these pressing issues, let alone attract foreign investors?
Is this the Fresh Air we were promised?

Sometimes it's better to judge a book by it's cover so you are saved the pain of discovering how much bul.lsh.it can be fitted into one single book.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by duno: 3:22pm On Jun 28, 2011
sweet9ja:

Reforming and restructuring is nothing new, govts all over the world use them to meet their economic plans.
If we really want to survive as a nation and grow to become an economic powerhouse, then, I'm afraid we have no other way out.
I strongly believe that;
2. Govt should introduce some form of road tax for all vehicle in Nigeria; fuel tax; or combination of both.

@bolded, dont be surprised that it will be invested in our politicians pocket network.
All the reforming and restructuring done by govts over the world as u said would have worked here if only our govt is sincere. This does not happen to be the case as these monies will eventually be looted and shared among our politicians while the ORDINARY people are left cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by nateevs(m): 3:23pm On Jun 28, 2011
sweet9ja:

I strongly believe that;

Why do you think world economies employ such policies? You think it's because they just feel like.
Why should government impose tax unless it needs to?
Has the government shown that it needs more money to make good roads?
What's wrong with fuel subsidy, if the state can afford it why not? It's one of the benefits of being a Nigerian.

What GEJ needs to show the people foremostly is his commitment to fiscal responsibility. And by being fiscally responsible, I mean wiping out corruption. How much do we get out of each Naira the country makes? What's to say that what Nigeria generates now is not enough to build a good road network.?

How can GEJ prove that by squeezing out extra kobo from the common man, it will be channelled responsibly?

Until he proves that, this is just another proof that this man is just another stooge and has no clue about what it takes to make Nigeria better.

Shame on you all that voted him.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by ubest1(m): 3:36pm On Jun 28, 2011
becos ordinary man no carry gun & bomb so we have to face the pain
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 28, 2011
if goodluck likes, let him kill d ordinary nigerian citizen for his economic reform to succeed but as long as d issue of corruption is nt addressed decisively,then am afraid we don enter ONE CHANCE for pdp hand again!
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by donugapi(m): 4:13pm On Jun 28, 2011
nateevs:

#GBAM!!

That guy is a clueless Moda4ka
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by violent(m): 4:15pm On Jun 28, 2011
Ordinary People. . .haha, the same people who got him his extra ordinary position?
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Vickivicki(m): 4:22pm On Jun 28, 2011
donugapi:

#GBAM!!

same naa ni lipsrsealed
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by dayokanu(m): 4:26pm On Jun 28, 2011
Fresh air.
i voted Gej and not pdp, enjoy Odechukwu for the next 4 yrs
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 28, 2011
Na today?
omo hin don tail wey dem don dey inflict pain on poor ppl na
no be pdp?? i mean no be gej
omo hin don tail,
may una just dey shine they go
God bless all of una oooo
hin don tail
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by otokx(m): 4:51pm On Jun 28, 2011
Thank God Nairalanders are not ordinary people.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by sweet9ja: 5:05pm On Jun 28, 2011
nateevs:

Why do you think world economies employ such policies? You think it's because they just feel like.
Why should government impose tax unless it needs to?
Has the government shown that it needs more money to make good roads?
What's wrong with fuel subsidy, if the state can afford it why not? It's one of the benefits of being a Nigerian.

What GEJ needs to show the people foremostly is his commitment to fiscal responsibility. And by being fiscally responsible, I mean wiping out corruption. How much do we get out of each Naira the country makes? What's to say that what Nigeria generates now is not enough to build a good road network.?

How can GEJ prove that by squeezing out extra kobo from the common man, it will be channelled responsibly?

Until he proves that, this is just another proof that this man is just another stooge and has no clue about what it takes to make Nigeria better.

Well, no elected govt will needlessly inflict suffering on it citizenry however, govt need fonds to operate effectively.
If we want to change Nigeria for the better, if we want to have all those things, ie efective national security, good infra, quality healthcare, good education for our kids, etc, etc, etc, then we must be ready to pay for it, because our oil income is not enough to pay for all that.
I think this President has made economic and human development policy.  
As for corruption, as far as Nigeria is concern, most, if not all, of us are one way or the other guilty of it. We all need a revoluction in our hearth to gradually bring it under control.
Last but not the least, those who voted GEJ made the right choice, they did not vote for quick fix.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by AK461(m): 5:27pm On Jun 28, 2011
I strongly believe that;

@Sweet9ja: GEJ is running a very expensive government, with all the special advisers, ministers, their PA's Senators and house of rep members all gulp a huge portion of our money in this country. The govt is so expensive that our foreign reserves are being depleted on a daily basis.
Its a good idea but the point is road tax, fuel tax, fuel subsidy will enrich people rather than make desired positive changes.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by sweet9ja: 5:30pm On Jun 28, 2011
duno:

@bolded, dont be surprised that it will be invested in our politicians pocket network.
All the reforming and restructuring done by govts over the world as u said would have worked here if only our govt is sincere. This does not happen to be the case as these monies will eventually be looted and shared among our politicians while the ORDINARY people are left  cry cry cry cry cry
I am very much aware that corruption is a major problem but,  what are we doing about it? Have we ever held huge protest in Nigeria to demand robust anti-corruption legislation or demand that those suspected of stealing public fund be tried and put behind bars?
Let's not use corruption as excuse to sabotage our country.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by sweet9ja: 5:35pm On Jun 28, 2011
AK 46 + 1:

I strongly believe that;

@Sweet9ja: GEJ is running a very expensive government, with all the special advisers, ministers, their PA's Senators and house of rep members all gulp a huge portion of our money in this country. The govt is so expensive that our foreign reserves are being depleted on a daily basis.
Its a good idea but the point is road tax, fuel tax, fuel subsidy will enrich people rather than make desired positive changes.
Agreed, then let's demand that he reign in these excesses, rather than "throw away the baby and the bathwater".
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by nateevs(m): 6:06pm On Jun 28, 2011
sweet9ja:

Well, no elected govt will needlessly inflict suffering on it citizenry however, govt need fonds to operate effectively.
If we want to change Nigeria for the better, if we want to have all those things, ie efective national security, good infra, quality healthcare, good education for our kids, etc, etc, etc, then we must be ready to pay for it, because our oil income is not enough to pay for all that.
As for corruption, as far as Nigeria is concern, most, if not all, of us are one way or the other guilty of it. We all need a revoluction in our hearth to gradually bring it under control.
Last but not the least, those who voted GEJ made the right choice, they did not vote for quick fix.

How do you know the money from Oil is not enough. While I am not saying it is abundant for everything, it is not enough for you to tell us it is not enough. You are making statements like GEJ. Give us the figures. Tell us how much money the government makes from Oil. Then tell us how much we will need to build roads.

Do you know how much the government loses from unpaid income taxes?
Do you know how much income the government loses from the ports?
Immigration? How much money will government make if everyone pays for their driver's license?
Oil bunkering?

These are just a few examples of a tonne ways of generating more revenue. What this government needs to do is establish and enforce tighter systems that makes revenue generation effective. Then proceed to wipe out corruption and ensure that revenue generated is put into responsible use. Not by all this megede fegede you are preaching here.

I however do not expect you to agree with me even though what I am saying is so clear and easily understandable. You think those that voted GEJ made the right choice? You will be informed very soon. Fresh Air for 2011.

If a man is ready to work for the country, in one week, you will already know.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by donugapi(m): 6:06pm On Jun 28, 2011
sweet9ja:

I'm sorry dude but I think you must be effing retarded.

People should stop being sentimental about this guy. He hasn't been president for 30 or so days, he's been president for over 1 year. Not one thing has changed since the son of a pig entered office. All you jonathan lovers quote me now, in 2015 we wouldn't be any better infact we would have regressed another 100 years and on d verge of being a failed state. Jonathan is a what?[size=16pt] A WEIST!![/size] undecided undecided
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by luluosas(m): 6:10pm On Jun 28, 2011
All the things that Obasanjo banned from coming to Nigeria, Jonathan unbound them. Now, he is saying that, Nigeria cannot continue to be a dumping ground. Is this man serious at all? Why din't he campaigned with this during the campaign time? I am voting Jonathan not PDP people, where are you now? Come and see your Jonathan that you voted.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by JimmyBoy1: 6:19pm On Jun 28, 2011
Nigerians can survive any condition, but I dont see this sacrifice crap flying while the leaders continue to plunder our treasury with reeckless abandon, GEJ is simple calling for anarchy.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by tlops(m): 6:20pm On Jun 28, 2011
Una never Hala!!! tips of the iceberg.

by the way this guy is just combining words to sound knowledgeable, unfortunately, hes not good at it.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by donugapi(m): 6:20pm On Jun 28, 2011
nateevs:

How do you know the money from Oil is not enough. While I am not saying it is abundant for everything, it is not enough for you to tell us it is not enough. You are making statements like GEJ. Give us the figures. Tell us how much money the government makes from Oil. Then tell us how much we will need to build roads.

Do you know how much the government loses from unpaid income taxes?
Do you know how much income the government loses from the ports?
Immigration? How much money will government make if everyone pays for their driver's license?
Oil bunkering?

These are just a few examples of a tonne ways of generating more revenue. What this government needs to do is establish and enforce tighter systems that makes revenue generation effective. Then proceed to wipe out corruption and ensure that revenue generated is put into responsible use. Not by all this megede fegede you are preaching here.

I however do not expect you to agree with me even though what I am saying is so clear and easily understandable. You think those that voted GEJ made the right choice? You will be informed very soon. Fresh Air for 2011.

If a man is ready to work for the country, in one week, you will already know.

My guy you are very correct. If change is going to come we would know already, we would already be feeling it. How come during elections, out of the blue there was light like we were in Jand. Immediately the announced results, back to the old stories. Like you rightly said, if this guy is going to make changes, we would know already,

Up till now he hasn't sorted out his cabinet, he has been ruling the country for the past year and half and he still doesn't know who he wants and what he wants. He's an eediot
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by KKEZ: 6:27pm On Jun 28, 2011
i beg una wey beaf dey? ;d
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 28, 2011
KKEZ:

i beg una wey beaf dey? ;d
died at the recent bombings at abuja, why guiding GEJ, he shall be missed cry cry cry cry cry cry grin
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Gbenge77(m): 6:45pm On Jun 28, 2011
The clueless president it at again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Feelite Ultrathin Sanitary Pad And Babyking Diaper Distributors Wanted / Zedvance Quick Cash Loan Without Collateral Or Guarantor / FACEBOOK: Two Sure Lotto Competition @OFFICIALTWOSURE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.