Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,391 members, 7,836,571 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? (5016 Views)

N1.04trn Fine: We Expect No Operation Disruptions For Not Paying Fine —MTN / Analysts Foresee Painful, Hard Economic Adjustment Call For Behavioural Change F / Expect Hard Economic Decisions -jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 28, 2011
Chai! So GEJ, I am now an "ordinary person" abi?

E be like say I go join Boko Haram, make i bomb your dumb @ss a little bit.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by hercules07: 7:25pm On Jun 28, 2011
Nigerians do not mind hard decisions if it starts from the leaders, let him trim his cabinet, fight corruption, start building sustainable infrastructure and we will be ready for difficult times, it is when he does not have the political will to tackle those who are a drain on our resources yet has the aya to confront ordinary people that folks like us say he is clueless.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 28, 2011
This is interesting. I woder what tough decisions he has 4 the Boko harm guys/
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by MMM2(m): 8:45pm On Jun 28, 2011
Gej whyGej why
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by leyom234: 8:54pm On Jun 28, 2011
duno:

@bolded, dont be surprised that it will be invested in our politicians pocket network.
All the reforming and restructuring done by govts over the world as u said would have worked here if only our govt is sincere. This does not happen to be the case as these monies will eventually be looted and shared among our politicians while the ORDINARY people are left cry cry cry cry cry

Dont mind that guy wey dey talk like say na only hin go school. Obasanjo claimed he spent 16 billion US dollars on power throughout his reign yet nothing to  show for it. Isnt that money more than enough to tackle power problems? Yet they pour all the blames on PHCN because some Nigerians are stupid enough to believe privatisation is the way out. So how are we sure that paying more of our hard-earned money for tax will solve Nigerian problems. The earlier he discovers that he needs to fight corruption from the top, the better.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Imeobong(m): 8:57pm On Jun 28, 2011
M M M:

Gej whyGej why

d guy is just confuse and clueless, how I wish he will tell us why
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Muza(m): 9:08pm On Jun 28, 2011
I dont know why u guyz still dont get it,

Let me summarise wat GEJ said in one sentence: "Subsidy is going"

then let me now explain,he means fuel will soon go for N140 per litre,Nigerians wont know wat hit them,which will send a rippple effect through-out the economy and raise the the price of everysingle thing in Naigeria from transport,food,clothes,school-fees,rent. . .etc,everything u can think of,
And why he said ordinary man is that the rich will,continue to steal or get contracts,their salaries and allowance will increase many folds to meet their needs and that of their families,while the poor will continue to wallow in poverty.
I guess GEJ is a nice guy for hinting u guyz to sit up,reduce ur stomaches and tighten your belts,cos sure hard times are coming your way and aint nothing u can do about it,you voted him,didnt u?

lets see wat d daft GEJ apologists will say. . .
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by leyom234: 9:14pm On Jun 28, 2011
Well, I never suppoted that man for anything. Now he is telling us that our suffering is yet to start. Abi ?
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by OmoTier1(m): 9:51pm On Jun 28, 2011
Shall we say the president mispoke

or is the air not stale?
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by cap28: 10:07pm On Jun 28, 2011
Muza:

then let me now explain,he means fuel will soon go for N140 per litre,Nigerians wont know wat hit them,which will send a rippple effect through-out the economy and raise the the price of everysingle thing in Naigeria from transport,food,clothes,school-fees,rent. . .etc,everything u can think of,
And why he said ordinary man is that the rich will,continue to steal or get contracts,their salaries and allowance will increase many folds to meet their needs and that of their families,while the poor will continue to wallow in poverty.
I guess GEJ is a nice guy for hinting u guyz to sit up,reduce your stomaches and tighten your belts,cos sure hard times are coming your way and aint nothing u can do about it,you voted him,didnt u?

spot on bro grin
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jun 28, 2011
latest instruction/condition from world bank/ noi
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by cap28: 10:37pm On Jun 28, 2011
^^^

i agree
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jun 28, 2011
duh gej, like we havent been receivng hard economic decision anyways, like kerosene been 1500 per gallon
so how much will it be soon anyways, .15000, Una dey vex o
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by martinosi: 10:29am On Jun 29, 2011
2bosun:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he is trying to do in creating proper incentives for local manufacturers like May & Baker, but he has to strike the right balance between tightening import regulations and creating these incentives. Goods would become expensive (which is probably why he said it would be painful) and push up inflation without this sort of balance- because at moment it is cheaper to import some commodities into the country than to manufacture them locally- which shows how much work needs on the economy outside the import rules.

He has to allow the market to dictate prices to an extent and also focus on creating a conducive environment for foreign investors. Completely "shutting the door" on importation alone would be the right move at the wrong time.

Who told you that "May & Baker" was a local manufacturer, you need to do your research before you post my friend! T[b]heir Head office is in Dagenham Essess (UK). [/b]

Nigerians can be so blind with all their intellectual Knowledge!

GEJ is buying into this "EPZ" Module "hook-line-Sinker", what a shame, lol i guess CAP28 is shaking his head right now, as he said it all along in his previous posts on nairaland !!!
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by martinosi: 10:37am On Jun 29, 2011
warrior01:

President Goodluck Jonathan has said the Federal Government would take hard decisions in its bid to move the economy forward.

He said: “Those hard decisions will affect importation of products.” He promised to use the next four years to work in ensuring that irritating investment environments were addressed.

The President commended the efforts of the management of May and Baker, adding that other companies should emulates them.

The chairman of the company, General Theophilus Danjuma, who described May & Baker as the country’s leading pharmaceutical company, told President Jonathan that the company currently has 800 staff on its payroll.

Danjuma also stated that the company was in the process of obtaining the World Health Organisation’s global regulation certificate and assured that it would continue to meet and promote global standard.

please, can someone tell me what is wrong in trying to encourage local manufacturers, create the right incentives through waivers and tax holidays just for the likes of the OP to have something doing?

This is not a local Nigerian company,

Please see the bold above

Is not General Theophilus Danjuma the Chairman of the Federal Executive council"
that advises The President GEJ?

Is not this the same guy General Theophilus Danjuma that is the Chairman of one the Biggest shipping
companies in Nigeria.

This same person is the chairman of a UK Company incorporated in Nigeria "May & Baker",

hmmm interesting, i guess if you can continue to fleece the ship with a "innocent face" then why not,

lets see how this one plays out,
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by martinosi: 10:45am On Jun 29, 2011
Muza:

I guess GEJ is a nice guy for hinting u guyz to sit up,reduce your stomaches and tighten your belts,cos sure hard times are coming your way and aint nothing u can do about it,you voted him,didnt u?

O.K thank God, so we have another wise and smart nigerian explaining what that Speech was all about
by our President elect GEJ,

I have now added Muza to my watch list on Niaraland after CAP28,

Educate me people Educate me, !!!!!
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by martinosi: 10:50am On Jun 29, 2011
AK 46 + 1:

GEJ is right; no pain no gain. I would do same if I were in his shoes.
Reforming and restructuring is nothing new, govts all over the world use them to meet their economic plans.
If we really want to survive as a nation and grow to become an economic powerhouse, then, I'm afraid we have no other way out.
I strongly believe that;
1. Fuel subsidy, for exemple, should be gradually faced out.
2. Govt should introduce some form of road tax for all vehicle in Nigeria; fuel tax; or combination of both.
3. Commercial vehicle should be exempted from paying road tax.
4. The proceeds from these taxes should be invested in our road network.

Please not bold above in your statement,

Do you have an economic death-wish for Nigeria?

As long as Nigeria does not refine its oil, the fuel subsidy must stay *Not point of arguing*
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by martinosi: 11:04am On Jun 29, 2011
nateevs:

Do you know how much the government loses from unpaid income taxes?
Do you know how much income the government loses from the ports?
Immigration? How much money will government make if everyone pays for their driver's license?
Oil bunkering?

These are just a few examples of a tonne ways of generating more revenue.

Please note your bold point,

Every President in Africa,Nigeria included has to come to
point of making a decision in order to grow their economy.

Am i going to tax corporations effectively and make them contribute to the growth of the host economy they are benefiting from

or

Am i going to tax my citizens heavily or cut public expenditure
to please my International Investors be they Banks or Corporations in order to give them subsidies, tax breaks and other benefits to keep them operating in my country with disregard and gross business impunity to the enviroment they operate in and locals they employ.

So the questions is

A - Tax Profits ie Corporations be they Local or International

or

B - Tax Overheads ie Nigerian workers who are already under pressure and on economic life support!!!

I guess we can see from past and current events that african and Nigerian leaders
dont have the guts/balls/politcal will power to do "A" so it going to be "B"

Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Witi(m): 12:43pm On Jun 29, 2011
Boko Haram and co can you hear that
I pray God will open your eyes so that you can refocus your attacks towards Jonathan and his collegues, Jona may God punish angry angry angry
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by cap28: 12:54pm On Jun 29, 2011
martinosi:

Please note your bold point,

Every President in Africa,Nigeria included has to come to
point of making a decision in order to grow their economy.

Am i going to tax corporations effectively and make them contribute to the growth of the host economy they are benefiting from

or

Am i going to tax my citizens heavily or cut public expenditure
to please my International Investors be they Banks or Corporations in order to give them subsidies, tax breaks and other benefits to keep them operating in my country with disregard and gross business impunity to the enviroment they operate in and locals they employ.

So the questions is

A - Tax Profits ie Corporations be they Local or International

or

B - Tax Overheads ie Nigerian workers who are already under pressure and on economic life support!!!

I guess we can see from past and current events that african and Nigerian leaders
dont have the guts/balls/politcal will power to do "A" so it going to be "B"

thanks bro - always so knowledgeable

if i might add - multinational corporations that operate arround the world now have powers which SUPERSEDE AND OVERRULE THE POWERS OF SOVEREIGN STATES.  These powers are conferred upon them by the World Trade Organisation - this organisation is permitted by law to overrule or dilute laws in individual sovereign nations which are deemed RESTRICTIVE to foreign investment- all nations that are signatories are expected to: lower tarrifs, remove subsidies and treat foreign companies like domestic ones.  The WTO also has the power to force member countries to remove certain trade restrictions that adversely affect foreign investors, should a country refuse to change its laws in order to comply with a WTO ruling the offending country could face fines or international trade sanctions.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by otokx(m): 1:06pm On Jun 29, 2011
The day GEJ removes petrol subsidy that will be the start of the Nigerian revolution.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by odedele: 5:00pm On Jun 29, 2011
where is beaf? fresh air joo
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by martinosi: 8:40pm On Jun 29, 2011
cap28:

thanks bro - always so knowledgeable

if i might add - multinational corporations that operate arround the world now have powers which SUPERSEDE AND OVERRULE THE POWERS OF SOVEREIGN STATES.  These powers are conferred upon them by the World Trade Organisation - this organisation is permitted by law to overrule or dilute laws in individual sovereign nations which are deemed RESTRICTIVE to foreign investment- all nations that are signatories are expected to: lower tarrifs, remove subsidies and treat foreign companies like domestic ones.  The WTO also has the power to force member countries to remove certain trade restrictions that adversely affect foreign investors, should a country refuse to change its laws in order to comply with a WTO ruling the offending country could face fines or international trade sanctions.

CO-SIGN,
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by martinosi: 8:41pm On Jun 29, 2011
otokx:

The day GEJ removes petrol subsidy that will be the start of the Nigerian revolution.

True-Talk,
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Imeobong(m): 9:30pm On Jun 29, 2011
this man promise fresh air during his campaign

during his inauguration a months ago he said to Nigerians "now your lamentation is over"

barely a month after gej is saying to Nigerians " these measures, which are definitely necessary, may appear painful to the ordinary people, but they are needed if we are to grow the economy,”

he have forgotten so soon how the ordinary Nigerians made him what he is today

may boko haram visit this gej and make this country ungovernable for him if his wish is to bite the finger that fed him

Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 30, 2011
Fresh AiR  angry

This sounds like he would de-value the Naira further, so that the Western Nation countries can buy our oil at a price they choose.

People may not know that when Buhari was Head of State he refused to devalue Naira  and left office with N1 = $1

OBJ devalued by 500%   angry( at a time of record high oil prices)

IBB devalued by 1700%  angry  (known criminal)

Abacha did a good job and only devalued by an insignificant amount.

Looting is one of the main incentives for corrupt governments devaluing because money/ revenue could be siphoned off without most of the unsuspecting Nigerian public realising that the annual budget has been slashed in real terms (and the rest of annual revenue looted /plundered).
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 30, 2011
oil prices are denominated in dollars .sometimes better to be silent if you have nothing to contribute .
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jun 30, 2011
you have missed the point.
Iam aware that oil is sold in dollars.

It is because of this fact that you can apreciate that wesern countries has more chance of controlling oil prices than we do. Our currency has been devlued to the extent that it is worthless.

When we had exchange rate of 1:1 with dollar, we had more influence and the worl took more notice of what we had to say, these days small countries like Libya and Zimbabwe, get more attention from Western media than us, the so called "giant of Africa"
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 01, 2011
the value of the naira is not a variable influencing oil prices. clearly all commodity prices respond to dollar fluctuations.

the idea that; a devalued naira would make our oil more favourably priced for any buyer

as mooted earlier is absurd.

the less said the better.
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 7:02am On Jul 01, 2011
exchange rate of 1.1 tells absolutely nothing .

the yen exchanges for $1/80 now and when we were 1;1 the lira was exchanging for kobos. so what ?
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 7:04am On Jul 01, 2011
clearly you don't know what you are talking about
Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 01, 2011
You are not able or willing to comprehend - never mind
iwonbaoko:

clearly you don't know what you are talking about

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Feelite Ultrathin Sanitary Pad And Babyking Diaper Distributors Wanted / Zedvance Quick Cash Loan Without Collateral Or Guarantor / FACEBOOK: Two Sure Lotto Competition @OFFICIALTWOSURE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.