Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Igbo Guy From Anambra Don't Marry Foreigners? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Guy From Anambra Don't Marry Foreigners? (500 Views)

How My Friend’s Boyfriend From Anambra Reacted When I Told Him I Was From Ebonyi / Kenya's Vice President's Daughter Marries An Igbo Man From Anambra State. / Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Guy From Anambra Don't Marry Foreigners? by keiraa87: 2:06pm On Mar 01, 2022
Hello, am not from Nigeria and i want to know if it's true that igbo from Anambra state don't marry foreigners. I have a son with a nigerian from Anambra and i still don't know yet his parents. And he didn't even tell me his plans for us. No judgeful comments please, thank you.
Re: Igbo Guy From Anambra Don't Marry Foreigners? by RedboneSmith(m): 3:47pm On Mar 01, 2022
keiraa87:
Hello, am not from Nigeria and i want to know if it's true that igbo from Anambra state don't marry foreigners. I have a son with a nigerian from Anambra and i still don't know yet his parents. And he didn't even tell me his plans for us. No judgeful comments please, thank you.

You know the popular Nwanyiocha on Facebook? The Swiss lady married to an Igbo man? The man is from Anambra. There are many Anambra men I know one on one who are married to foreigners. One of my oldest Anambra friends recently married his Filipino girlfriend. Another married a Jamaican-British woman.

But that said, you need to get clarity from this man. There's every chance he doesn't want to tie the knots with you. Get clarity from him. Trying to figure out what his plans are by stereotyping his people might not be very helpful.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Guy From Anambra Don't Marry Foreigners? by bigfrancis21: 2:50am On Mar 02, 2022
keiraa87:

To be honest, generally speaking Nigerians tend to marry within themselves. But then, you'll have outliers who marry from outside of the country or foreigners specifically.

Here's a little perspective from a typical Nigerian's mindset: I come from a country/tribe and I have a culture and I would like my child to inherit the culture, however it is difficult to achieve this with a spouse from a non-Nigerian background (difficult not impossible), thus I am less likely to want to have a foreigner as partner for life. Now there are several Nigerians married to foreigners. In most cases, the kids from such inter-racial unions never return back home nor want anything to do with Nigeria. Their foreign spouses don't want to either or they insist on raising such kids in their own culture. Very few foreign spouses immerse themselves completely with the culture and identify with Nigeria truly.

I am not in support of either side, just giving you some insights.

(1) (Reply)

Kabba Oka Festival, Be Informed. / The Origin Of Ogboni, Why The Members Are Mighty And What Makes Them Political D / Village Heads Beat Up Monarch Over Chieftaincy Disagreement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.