Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

ASUU STRIKE: An Appreciation Post To The NANS President - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU STRIKE: An Appreciation Post To The NANS President (767 Views)

200 Days Of ASUU Strike - An Analysis / Bamidele Impeached As NANS President Over $200K Embezzlement Scandal / Nans President:we Are Ready To Shut Down Federal Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU STRIKE: An Appreciation Post To The NANS President by Elzak(m): 7:34am On Mar 02, 2022
ASUU STRIKE: An appreciation post to the NANS president for getting the minister of education angry.

Just like the world is proud of the Ukrainians not for diplomacy employed but for their brave armed resistance against Russia in the face of oppression I'm proud of the NANS president, Sunday Asefon, for taking on the minister of education, mallam Adamu Adamu, on Monday.

The Ukrainian didn't deliver themselves on a platter of gold for Putin just like our brave David gave the monster of education, sorry scratch that, the minister of education a chunk of his mind which represents the minds of the better part of the Nigerian students. The minister walked out pissed. It must have felt very good for him if he thought we had been enjoying getting pissed for many years.

ASUU strike is as old as the history of Nigerian tertiary education itself and gradually, over time, it's being passed into our subconscious to make peace with such reality. It is an abnormality that must be accepted as normal. It is some sort of annual festival, or even twice a year when they get too excited, the occurrence of which appears certain even more than Christmas and Sallah. The rest of the world knows one constant thing, change. Nigerian students know one more, ASUU strike.

Normal people have a calendar of the year with holidays, events and special days planned. But we must find a space in our own calendar for ASUU strike. The real dilemma is where does it fit in the calendar? It creates its own space by itself anywhere it desires and then looks us in the face and says, "here, this middle finger is for you all pathetic souls."

I'm not going to go into the boring obvious detail of the cost of ASUU strike to Nigerian students, that's a common knowledge that even the skeletons in their graves do boast of.

Again ASUU strikes at any time of the year and what's one comment that has become a cliche? I will answer that. We do say, "politicians have their own kids in foreign universities where they finish so quickly without losing a second of their time but they leave us to rot here in our universities." This comment barely reaches them. They die between us where we rant to each other or, at best, on our social media timelines.

But on Monday, comrade Asefon did serve Adamu Adamu our grievance right in his face. He took that comment right to him in his office. Oh my goodness! let praise be heaped upon the most brave amongst us. He's a real comrade, a fearless one. Only God knows how much I enjoy that.

While some may argue that he should have taken a more polite approach I think he gave us a big win on Monday. Why? Because, realistically, no amount of politeness would have solved the problem on Monday or thereafter. Yeah, what he said isn't the solution either but it sure unsettles whatever human is left in the minister.

School me not on manners, please. What is this erroneous association of respect with age and position? There is one valid principle which I and a whole lot of people believe in a right way; "respect is earned but not demanded or dashed out like sadaka". Even pension is not given to those old men on the account of their ages. They did earn the money sometimes in the past when they were still working. The NANS president does not owe Adamu Adamu any respect. In fact, he gave Adamu more respect than he deserved. Let us not also forget that he didn't assault the minister nor did he insult him. Heck! He even addressed him as your excellency at some point. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

A typical Nigerian has his brain built (not by God though) not to only fear and run but to also frustrate the effort of those who may stand and fight for what belongs to them.

I know I might not have enough courage to do what the NANS president did if given the opportunity but I won't cower behind my keyboard calling him names and schooling him on how to lead.

A true leader connects with those he leads. At least he said what the previous NANS presidents didn't have the balls to say. Comrade spoke my mind and I didn't care however he did. The rest of you can keep trying to beat the politicians in their own games.

It is silence, not oppression, that suppresses.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU STRIKE: An Appreciation Post To The NANS President by Emmanuelcann: 7:58am On Mar 02, 2022
Let the youth start to speak up! Their future is in the balance.
Re: ASUU STRIKE: An Appreciation Post To The NANS President by eteebanky1: 8:30am On Mar 02, 2022
anywhere belle face union leaders
Re: ASUU STRIKE: An Appreciation Post To The NANS President by daveP(m): 9:40am On Mar 02, 2022
Quite said well!!
Re: ASUU STRIKE: An Appreciation Post To The NANS President by Ogamysamo: 9:55am On Mar 02, 2022
strong men bear the heat of the sun but it takes only the braves to endure the heat of fire.

BRAVO CHIEF COMRADE

(1) (Reply)

FG Team Fails To Meet Deadline To Resolve Issue, To Meet ASUU Again. / Settle Your Matter Out Of Court -- Court Of Appeal Tells ASUU, FG / Why Peter Obi Is Smarter Than Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.