Stats: 3,156,473 members, 7,830,379 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant (1204 Views)

Power Generation Falls Below 4,000MW Amid Gas, Trasmission Problems / Reno Omokri Reacts As Toyota Snubs Nigeria, Opens Assembly Plant In Ghana / Power Supply Still Under 4,000MW, So What Has Buhari Done??? (2) (3) (4)

Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Rostikol: 4:15am On Mar 03, 2022
The Federal Government on Tuesday said it had opened bids for the construction of a nuclear power plant that would generate 4,000 megawatts of electricity for the country.

Dr Yau Idris, Director General, Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NNRA), made the disclosure while speaking at the ongoing Nigerian International Energy Summit (NIES) in Abuja.

Idris said: “It is wrong to think that Nigeria can’t manage a nuclear power plant. There are mechanisms put in place that ensure any country can build a nuclear power plant.''

“Nigeria is trying to deliver 4,000MW of electricity through nuclear power. We are trying to construct four units and we are at the bidding stage.”

He said Nigeria had been trying to diversify its energy sources since 1977, stressing that the additional 4,000MW would increase the country’s generation capacity to about 13,000MW.

Idris said the regulatory agency has signed agreements with Russia, Pakistan, France and South Korea to build the capacity of its staff in manning the nuclear plant.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/03/fg-opens-bids-for-nuclear-power/

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by inoki247: 4:21am On Mar 03, 2022
Sha no come turn the country to anoda war zone...
Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Rostikol: 4:24am On Mar 03, 2022
Something tells me the Nigerian leadership has been looking at this Russian invasion of Ukraine and thinking, ''we better go nuclear, starting with power plants first, then later on the bomb, to avoid this vulnerability to external attack as seen in Ukraine.''

Because this nuclear power plant issue has been in the back burner for some years, occasionally spoken about in official circles, but never seriously pursued.

Until now - just a couple of days after Putin invaded Ukraine, and is now threatening to obliterate them with nuclear weapons.

Suddenly Nigeria opens bids for nuclear power plants.

It's too much of a coincidence.

I think Abuja is making a highly strategic geo-political move here.

A sharp policy uptick in the nuclear direction.

This Putin invasion of Ukraine has made them jittery.

We seem to be in a world now where anybody can just wake up and invade you for no cogent reason.

Here in Africa, we should keep an eye on South Africa and Egypt especially.

There is something about those two countries I just don't trust. If the world goes pear-shaped, and everyone starts invading the other, they could be looking to cash in with Nigeria.

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by 9japride(m): 4:32am On Mar 03, 2022
The nuclear power plant should be sited in the north is they like getting all the juicy projects grin

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Karlovych: 4:41am On Mar 03, 2022
embarassed Wonderful, Nuclear power plant that will be powered by Drugnibu's radioactive yellow teeth

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Lifefountain(f): 5:05am On Mar 03, 2022
Welcome development

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by tony0806: 5:06am On Mar 03, 2022
Stable electricity will definitely create a Pathway for development.

Sen. Orji Uzor Kalu has been proposing this for a couple of years now.
Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Aufbauh(m): 5:07am On Mar 03, 2022
We do not only need Nuclear power plant but also Nuclear warheads so that we can dole out threat to other African countries.
Most especially South Africa and Ghana in the case of Xenophobic attack & our Trader's molestation respectively.
Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Ahmed0336(m): 5:23am On Mar 03, 2022
But where dem plan to site am considering the nature of our weather?
Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by 4ckyou: 5:33am On Mar 03, 2022
Rostikol:
Something tells me the Nigerian leadership has been looking at this Russian invasion of Ukraine and thinking, ''we better go nuclear, starting with power plants first, then later on the bomb, to avoid this vulnerability to external attack as seen in Ukraine.''

Because this nuclear power plant issue has been in the back burner for some years, occasionally spoken about in official circles, but never seriously pursued.

Until now - just a couple of days after Putin invaded Ukraine, and is now threatening to obliterate them with nuclear weapons.

Suddenly Nigeria opens bids for nuclear power plants.

It's too much of a coincidence.

I think Nigeria is making a geo-political strategic move here.

This Putin invasion of Ukraine has made them jittery.

We seem to be in a world now where anybody can just wake up and invade you for no cogent reason.

Nigeria already have an agreement with Russia to build to nuclear power plant, one in kogi and the other in Delta state I guess
Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Rostikol: 5:38am On Mar 03, 2022
4ckyou:

Nigeria already have an agreement with Russia to build to nuclear power plant, one in kogi and the other in Delta state I guess

Agreement is one thing. Opening bids means you're ready to drop the money today.

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by nzeobi(m): 6:31am On Mar 03, 2022
What about transmission and distribution capacities cos those are the areas we are falling short now
Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Rostikol: 6:42am On Mar 03, 2022
nzeobi:
What about transmission and distribution capacities cos those are the areas we are falling short now

Check out the Siemens deal. It deals with transmission and distribution.

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Izprince(m): 7:37am On Mar 03, 2022
We gats ready for anything oooo... If chaos happen naw we can't defend ourselves against Egypt, south Africa and Algeria... God help Nigeria

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by nzeobi(m): 7:50am On Mar 03, 2022
Rostikol:

That should be completed first distribution capacity should be more than transmission capacity and transmission should be more than distribution if not the system will be messed up.
Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Nukilia: 8:32am On Mar 03, 2022
grin grin grin I know the reactor would be operated by herdsmen grin

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by cassidy1996(m): 8:56am On Mar 03, 2022
Chernobyl disaster loading.........

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by 9182736455O1999(m): 9:12am On Mar 03, 2022
Abeg Nigeria no suppose to get nuclear weapons, as we all know say too many werey them nai full this country. grin

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Afamed: 9:20am On Mar 03, 2022
9182736455O1999:
Abeg Nigeria no suppose to get nuclear weapons, as we all know say too many werey them nai full this country. grin
They are talking of Nuclear power not Nuclear weapon. Lazy youth

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by 9182736455O1999(m): 9:29am On Mar 03, 2022
Afamed:

They are talking of Nuclear power not Nuclear weapon. Lazy youth
typical Nigerian, one of the werey i'm talking about, can you not correct me without insulting me?

bitter youth like you tongue

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Perfectbeing(m): 9:35am On Mar 03, 2022
Rostikol:

Any update about this? I heard they've stopped the deal.. Any info will be welcomed
Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Afamed: 9:47am On Mar 03, 2022
9182736455O1999:

typical Nigerian, one of the werey i'm talking about, can you not correct me without insulting me?

Did you not read the post before commenting? It was clearly stated in the post Nuclear power.
The question is , most of you, are too lazy to read.
Typical lazy youth

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by PIMPAR: 9:51am On Mar 03, 2022
9182736455O1999:

You are the mad man here. Where did you see Nuclear weapon in the post?
Did you bother to read the thread before you posted your rubbish.

He's right to have referred to you as typical lazy youth
It was everywhere in the post, 4,000mw power but because you are too lazy to read

Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by 9182736455O1999(m): 9:59am On Mar 03, 2022
PIMPAR:

[s]You are the mad man here. Where did you see Nuclear weapon in the post?
Did you bother to read the thread before you posted your rubbish.

He's right to have referred to you as typical lazy youth
It was everywhere in the post, 4,000mw power but because you are too lazy to read[/s]
pls stay out of this
Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by Quiny32323: 10:02am On Mar 03, 2022
These people are insane, when others are getting rid of theirs and who gave them the expertise to manage this. The same people that can't manage ordinary pipeline.
Re: Nigeria Opens Bids For 4,000MW Nuclear Power Plant by 9182736455O1999(m): 10:09am On Mar 03, 2022
Afamed:

Did you not read the post before commenting? It was clearly stated in the post Nuclear power.
The question is , most of you, are too lazy to read.
Typical lazy youth
Oga i made a comment, as a sane and moraly upright beign, you could have corrected me without showing us how you are, if you were joking, i would'nt have taken offence.

if na violence you dey find i fit give you as e dey hot

Who Can Guess What's inside The Bags Behind Them / Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Should Have Named After Awolowo / Watch Ojukwu Campaigning For Shehu Shagari In 1983.