Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,926 members, 7,821,245 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! (3983 Views)

Wow Pictures! TRENDING New SABC Show About Xenophobia - Nigerian Speaks / Wow Pictures! 'Please Call Me' Black Inventor Wins N2-Trillion Court Case in SA / Wow Pictures Of Ford Aurora || Station Wagon From 1969 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by TjoBATHONG(m): 6:30am On Mar 03, 2022
Wow Pictures! shocked

RT, the Russian state-owned news channel formerly known as Russia Today, is no longer available on DStv, just one day after MultiChoice Group said it had no intention of canning it. But the decision was out of the pay-television broadcaster’s hands.

Viewers who tune into DStv channel 407 (in South Africa) – where RT is meant to be housed – are now greeted with a message saying the “channel is closed” and are encouraged to check the television guide for when it might open again.

The closure of the channel was spotted by an eagle-eyed TechCentral reader on Wednesday evening. The channel also seems to have been suspended from the online streaming version of DStv – the stream simply wouldn’t start when TechCentral tried to play it.

The channel’s disappearance comes a day after MultiChoice told this publication that it would not pull the channel of its pay-TV bouquets, despite an EU-wide ban and restrictions placed on it – and another Russian news broadcaster Sputnik – by technology giants including Google, YouTube, Microsoft, Meta Platforms and Twitter.

But MultiChoice, it has transpired, has nothing to do with taking RT off DStv. In response to a query from TechCentral, the company confirmed RT was pulled off its platform effective 2 March and “not be carried on the DStv platform until further notice”.

“Sanctions imposed on Russia have led to the global distributor of the channel ceasing to provide the broadcast feed to all suppliers, including MultiChoice,” it said.

MultiChoice relies on satellite backhaul links to receive its programming. It also distributes its channels to viewers using an Intelsat satellite. Intelsat is headquartered in Luxembourg, which is a member state of the EU.

The bans and restrictions on RT and Sputnik come as many nations impose severe sanctions on Russia for invading Ukraine, a move that is expected to cripple the country’s economy. Harsh sanctions have also been imposed on Putin and his inner circle, as well as many of the country’s oligarchs, who have prospered in the corrupt Russian system.

1 Like

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Freestainworld(m): 7:17am On Mar 03, 2022
Russia is still Russia, Putin don't care about all these sanctions, I just pity ordinary Russian nationals.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by BeanmanX(m): 7:21am On Mar 03, 2022
Freestainworld:
Russia is still Russia, Putin don't care about all these sanctions, I just pity ordinary Russian nationals.
Dey re the one suffering it

2 Likes

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by TjoBATHONG(m): 7:46am On Mar 03, 2022
shocked

1 Like

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by sotall(m): 8:12am On Mar 03, 2022
cool
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by TjoBATHONG(m): 8:18am On Mar 03, 2022
shocked

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Nukilia: 8:21am On Mar 03, 2022
All these evil organizations were silent when US was invading Iraq, Syria, Libya. grin grin grin

Putin must not stop until Ukraine is taken over completely and a new leader is installed in the position of the Western puppet.

The Western puppet we have in Nigeria has led to brain drain in Nigeria. The suffering we are going through in Nigeria is not important to the West grin grin

Shame

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Lamasta(m): 8:36am On Mar 03, 2022
Anything that will stop Russia and Putin from the invasion of Ukraine is a welcome development cool

3 Likes

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Kazeem47(m): 9:05am On Mar 03, 2022
Another way to make cool cash.Sue DSTV and demand huge cash from them.You guys paid for the subscription.

8 Likes

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by McGg: 9:30am On Mar 03, 2022
I wish not to have anything of WESTERN influence in my home....

Dstv to the trash

8 Likes

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:37am On Mar 03, 2022
Watching RT makes me laugh. Most media exist for propaganda purposes but RT try to act as though they are different. It's laughable and almost like the hypocrisy of Fox News or Press TV.

Among the popular big boys, Al-Jazeera and TRT World seem to have a pretension of objectivity. In matters concerning Qatar and Turkey, respectively, that objectivity dies. Smh.

Still watching India's WION News (Gravitas Plus) to see how far they are willing to go. France24 is more objective than most. DW too is good but with more documentaries than news. RT is just an upgraded version of CNN.

It's good to watch them all and understand how and where they stand. RT is fun to watch. Their message: Russia is a saint and America is the devil, when it's obvious they are all hierarchies of evil.

7 Likes

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by TalkTalkTwins(m): 11:10am On Mar 03, 2022
You can only complain grin you won't do anything .
There might even be a clause in their TOC to back this up

1 Like

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by somehow: 11:15am On Mar 03, 2022
One sided news coverage is what NATO and the US want, yet they talk about freedom and democracy?

Ironic right?

I spit on the gullibles!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Gadafii: 11:15am On Mar 03, 2022
Africa can mumu ehhn.

Well subscribers are demanding that it should be reinstated, they paid for it, they don't wanna be involved in the western propaganda.

Celtic was fined by football governing body, because their fans supported Palestine during the height of isreal onslaught in the Gaza strips

Mesut ozil was asked to keep quite and not bring world politics into football when he cried against the killings of Muslim in Myanmar.

But man city players were seen wearing flags of Ukraine's, zinchenko was given the captain band just to identify with the Ukrainian.

Other sport governing bodies have sanctioned Russia

My question is why bring world politics into the beautiful sport we have come to love

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by clericuzzio(m): 11:36am On Mar 03, 2022
Freestainworld:

Same way bubu didn't care about Twitter shutdown, ASSU strike and Fuel Scarcity.
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by timay1: 11:49am On Mar 03, 2022
Gadafii:
Africa can mumu ehhn.

Well subscribers are demanding that it should be reinstated, they paid for it, they don't wanna be involved in the western propaganda.

Celtic was fined by football governing body, because their fans supported Palestine during the height of isreal onslaught in the Gaza strips

Mesut ozil was asked to keep quite and not bring world politics into football when he cried against the killings of Muslim in Myanmar.

But man city players were seen wearing flags of Ukraine's, zinchenko was given the captain band just to identify with the Ukrainian.

My question is why bring world politics into the beautiful sport we have come to love

DSTV didn't remove it intentionally though.

RT satellite feed comes from a satellite TV provider SES in Luxembourg, in which all other TV company all over the world get RT news from. They are the ones that cut RT off.

RT will probably move to a new satellite provider in the coming days or weeks

8 Likes

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 03, 2022
Was RT available in Nigeria?

Did not know, but then again, I am on compact plus, not premium or above...

1 Like

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 03, 2022
clericuzzio:

Same way bubu didn't care about Twitter shutdown, ASSU strike and Fuel Scarcity.

Don't like Bubu but

1.ASUU strike: both sides don't want to face the fact that the only way to improve university funding is by much higher fees.

2.Fuel scarcity will go once fuel subsidy is gone. But Nigerians don't want that.
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Gamesmart: 12:46pm On Mar 03, 2022
The EU is banning, censoring and removing our choice of information and damning freedom of the press all under the argument of "bias and propaganda".

Yet, they allow Western news stations to bombard us with the homosexual, transgender and rainbow flags bias and propaganda every day.

3 Likes

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Gamesmart: 12:47pm On Mar 03, 2022
Gadafii:
Africa can mumu ehhn.

Well said!
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Playermayweda(m): 1:09pm On Mar 03, 2022
Sapiosexuality:
Watching RT makes me laugh. Most media exist for propaganda purposes but RT try to act as though they are different. It's laughable and almost like the hypocrisy of Fox News or Press TV.

Among the popular big boys, Al-Jazeera and TRT World seem to have a pretension of objectivity. In matters concerning Qatar and Turkey, respectively, that objectivity dies. Smh.

Still watching India's WION News (Gravitas Plus) to see how far they are willing to go. France24 is more objective than most. DW too is good but with more documentaries than news. RT is just an upgraded version of CNN.

It's good to watch them all and understand how and where they stand. RT is fun to watch. Their message: Russia is a saint and America is the devil, when it's obvious they are all hierarchies of evil.

WION news is starting to show signs of bias, airing baseless opinions instead of the full news, alas true journalism is dead
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by VKasparov(m): 1:09pm On Mar 03, 2022
backbencher:
Was RT available in Nigeria?

Did not know, but then again, I am on compact plus, not premium or above...

It's like RT has never been available on DSTV Nigeria O! Channel 407 is not available in any bouquet on DSTV Nigeria. I have been going through a lot of stress to be streaming RT online not knowing that it is even available on DSTV in some countries. Why is Multichoice discriminating against Nigeria? All the prominent channels are in DSTV South Africa even though we in Nigeria pay through the nose to watch DSTV. This is an eye opener!
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 03, 2022
VKasparov:

It's like RT has never been available on DSTV Nigeria O! Channel 407 is not available in any bouquet on DSTV Nigeria. I have been going through a lot of stress to be streaming RT online not knowing that it is even available on DSTV in some countries. Why is Multichoice discriminating against Nigeria? All the prominent channels are in DSTV South Africa even though we in Nigeria pay through the nose to watch DSTV. This is an eye opener!

1. I knew it, RT was not available in Nigeria.

2.On Multichoice, we pay less than other African countries

Kenya pays about 44.79 dollars , South Africa pays 35 dollars, and Nigeria pays 29-30 dollars for a Compact plus package for example. (Dollars US)

1 Like

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by tssb: 1:42pm On Mar 03, 2022
Nukilia:
All these evil organizations were silent when US was invading Iraq, Syria, Libya. grin grin grin

Putin must not stop until Ukraine is taken over completely and a new leader is installed in the position of the Western puppet.

The Western puppet we have in Nigeria has led to brain drain in Nigeria. The suffering we are going through in Nigeria is not important to the West grin grin

Shame

Make una take am easy O. See this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYe8PrU6eL0
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Tonymegabush1(m): 1:44pm On Mar 03, 2022
UK hypocrisy sticks to high heaven, Americans has been bias all along all together they want to kill the love of football.

Russian might have invaded ukraine
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by VKasparov(m): 2:21pm On Mar 03, 2022
Well, they can't block RT in this day and age. Go to RT dot com (https://www.rt.com/) and watch RT Live.

You can also download the RT News App from your App store and stream them live.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rt.mobile.english

�Above direct Play Store link is for Android.

They can't stop us from hearing both sides of the story.

1 Like

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by alphaNomega: 2:53pm On Mar 03, 2022
backbencher:

Don't like Bubu but

1.ASUU strike: both sides don't want to face the fact that the only way to improve university funding is by much higher fees.

2.Fuel scarcity will go once fuel subsidy is gone. But Nigerians don't want that.

In other words, there is fuel subsidy and University subsidy. Got it.
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by alphaNomega: 2:54pm On Mar 03, 2022
Gamesmart:
The EU is banning, censoring and removing our choice of information and damning freedom of the press all under the argument of "bias and propaganda".

Yet, they allow Western news stations to bombard us with the homosexual, transgender and rainbow flags bias and propaganda every day.
That's the hypocrisy in how they run the world and it is disgusting

3 Likes

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 03, 2022
alphaNomega:

In other words, there is fuel subsidy and University subsidy. Got it.

Yes, that's why (for the latter) you don't pay high fees being in a government university.(unlike private university when you end up paying millions)
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by alphaNomega: 3:00pm On Mar 03, 2022
backbencher:

Yes, that's why (for the latter) you don't pay high fees being in a government university.(unlike private university when you end up paying millions)
Yeah, imagine government universities charging millions for fees. They will die an automatic death

1 Like

Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Sapiosexuality(m): 3:18pm On Mar 03, 2022
Playermayweda:

WION news is starting to show signs of bias, airing baseless opinions instead of the full news, alas true journalism is dead
Not yet to me though. The opinions are balanced from what I'm still seeing.
Re: Wow Pictures! DSTV Drops Russia's RT News Channel! by Gamesmart: 4:12pm On Mar 03, 2022
alphaNomega:
That's the hypocrisy in how they run the world and it is disgusting

Watch!

They would soon be telling African countries they are not allowed to participate & compete in WC or Olympics unless they establish pro-homosexuality and transgender laws in their country.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Airtel - I Paid 1000 Naira For 100mb, I Got 200mb, But I Can Open A Page! / 14 Pictures Comparing Life Today With How It Used To Be / This Is What You Mean When You Say Your Phone Is Not Calibrating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.