Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,835 members, 7,841,189 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? (386 Views)

My Landlady And Her Daughter Want To Finish Me! / My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by Uniquescent(f): 5:58pm On Mar 04, 2022
Good day Nlanders..
I seriously and urgently need advice/help as to how to follow this matter up.
I'm not a very good writer, pls ignore my typos.
And forgive me for the lengthy writeup �

I'm a final year student of Enugu state University (ESUT) . I just concluded my Degree exams and awaiting Project Defence which is expected to hold ending of this month of March or early April.
I have lived in my current residence for 3yrs+ with no issues with my landlady. My rent expires 20th of February every year and for the past 3 years I've always renewed my rent at the end of March.

As to my problem:
After my rent expired this year, my landlady called me to remind me that my rent has expired and that she wants to know if I'll be renewing or packing out.
I explained to her that I'll be done with my defense within a month or 2 from now and that for the sake of our longtime Landlady/tenant relationship she should give me grace to pay for 3 months so as to allow me prepare well for my Defense and that after my project defence I'll pack out. SHE AGREED!!!
A day or two after our conversation, she called me again to remind me that based on our conversation I should be moving out at the end of May which I concurred to. I also reminded her that I'll pay for the 3 months at the end of March (I've always payed my rent for the next period at the end of March), she said no problem.
All these discussions happened just last week.

Yesterday morning the securityman at the lodge came knocking with a girl standing besides him saying she wants to see my room. I asked the security man why, he said she justs wants to see the size. I refused.
Same yesterday(afternoon) the landlady sent the securityman to me but when he came I was asleep. Later that evening the security man saw me and told me that madam(landlady) has been calling me but I'm not picking her calls. I checked my phone and there were no missed calls, I showed it to him that there's no missed call. I asked him when did madam say she called? He said "ehh madam say when you dey pack?". I was confused, I thought he wasn't aware that me and the landlady had already discussed so I told him to call madam again. He left.

Very early this morning the securityman came knocking at my door, when I opened he was like "ehh Madam say ehh say make you pack comot before Sunday"

I've never been more confused in my entire life as I was this morning. I gave the security man a stern warning not to ever knock on my door to play that kind of play with me.
Like.... WHERE IS IT DONE?!!
I SHOULD PACK OUT WITHIN 2 DAYS?!
AND GO WHERE? AFTER WE HAD AN AGREEMENT?!

Even if she wants me to evacuate her property, I SHOULD DO SO WITHIN 2 DAYS??

NO PRIOR PROBLEMS WITH THE SAID LANDLADY! NO SINGLE MISUNDERSTANDING! NO RENT OWED IN ARREARS.
LIKE... I CAN'T THINK OF ANY SINGLE THING THAT WOULD HAVE WARRANTED SUCH FROM THIS LADY!

I called the landlady to hear from her and understand what's going. All she could say is "Landlord did not agree for payment of 3 months "

THERE'S NO "LANDLORD"!!! SHE OWNS THE PROPERTY.
I've stayed in this Lodge long enough to know that. Everybody knows her as LandLady. Everybody pays their rent directly to her account.

We were arguing on the phone and she hunged up. So I sent her a text telling her that I'll pay for half year(6 months) if she's won't accept 3 months and all she could reply was "I don't collect half months." Her reply was a LIE cos I personally know of 2 different occupants(the lodge has over 30 rooms) who were in same situation as I am in now ( they were left with less than 3 months to conclude their school programs) and they paid for 6 months.

Pls how do I go about this issue? Because moving out on Sunday is not even an option. I don't think there's anywhere it's been done.
If she had told me from the onset that she won't accept 3months and gave me maybe a week or 2 (or even till the end of March) to leave her house, I'd understand.

But that wasn't the case at all. I mea n, we had already concluded. And then she just wakes up one morning telling me to pack out IN 2 DAYS?.
WHERE IS IT BEEN DONE?!

How do I go about this?!

Below is a snippet of the text I sent her and her reply

I'd really appreciate if the mods help me push this so many others with similar experience can help out

Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 04, 2022
There was no written agreement ?

Normally, she would have given you 3 months notice to quit and not rushing you to pack out.
Get a lawyer if you can and sue her ass!
Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by ChiefSosa(m): 6:21pm On Mar 04, 2022
Get a lawyer, and also report the situation at the police station. Go along with all your evidences, including texts and other forms of convo. In as much as she might claim she does not accept half payments in texts, but as long as she previously and WILLINGLY assured you she'll collect 3 months, then I'm sure you have a good case against her. I just pray she wouldn't oppress you with money at the police station.
P.s. It sounds like she has some personal vendetta against you.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by Uniquescent(f): 6:27pm On Mar 04, 2022
GoodHardDick:
There was no written agreement ?

Normally, she would have given you 3 months notice to quit and not rushing you to pack out.

Get a lawyer if you can and sue her ass!
There was no written agreement. No quit-notice.
She probably collected full rent from that girl that came to check my room.
Me and this woman never had any issues.
Not even once in almost 4 years.
Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 04, 2022
Uniquescent:

There was no written agreement. No quit-notice.
She probably collected full rent from that girl that came to check my room
Me and this woman never had any issues.
Not even once in almost 4 years.

She dey ment? Why won't she give you quit notice? And the quit must be 3 months.

At the bolded , more reason why you should get a lawyer if you can and sue her ass!
Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by neutralmind: 6:34pm On Mar 04, 2022
Set up a one on one meeting with her and appeal to her ( option 1). Go with a lawyer if possible. Dont go alone. Meeting must happen before Sunday.

If she acts funny try the legal option ( option 2 )
Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by Uniquescent(f): 6:48pm On Mar 04, 2022
neutralmind:
Set up a one on one meeting with her and appeal to her ( option 1). Go with a lawyer if possible. Dont go alone. Meeting must happen before Sunday.

If she acts funny try the legal option ( option 2 )

The landlady rarely comes around so getting a one-on-one with her will be very difficult... I tried making an appeal on phone which lead to an argument.
Plus I don't think I can afford a lawyer
Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by Nutase: 8:30pm On Mar 04, 2022
Your arrogance landed you here. What would it have cost you to let the lady see the size of the room bearing in mind that she did you a favor by aggreeing to take 3 months rent from you. This might be her only source of income and she didn't want to leave the room empty for a single day. That's probably why she was looking for a new tenant in advance to take over from you when your 3 months expire.
This life is not difficult. Some times you need to learn to make compromises and not always fight for your 'right'.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by Uniquescent(f): 9:28pm On Mar 04, 2022
Nutase:
Your arrogance landed you here. What would it have cost you to let the lady see the size of the room bearing in mind that she did you a favor by aggreeing to take 3 months rent from you. This might be her only source of income and she didn't want to leave the room empty for a single day. That's probably why she was looking for a new tenant in advance to take over from you when your 3 months expire.
This life is not difficult. Some times you need to learn to make compromises and not always fight for your 'right'.
You can't be serious. Her only source of income?.
So you're saying its bcus I refused to show someone else my room in a building with 33 rooms that's why she said I should pack out in 2 days?!
Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by youngsahito(m): 10:07pm On Mar 04, 2022
Uniquescent:
Good day Nlanders..
I seriously and urgently need advice/help as to how to follow this matter up.
I'm not a very good writer, pls ignore my typos.
And forgive me for the lengthy writeup �

I'm a final year student of Enugu state University (ESUT) . I just concluded my Degree exams and awaiting Project Defence which is expected to hold ending of this month of March or early April.
I have lived in my current residence for 3yrs+ with no issues with my landlady. My rent expires 20th of February every year and for the past 3 years I've always renewed my rent at the end of March.

As to my problem:
After my rent expired this year, my landlady called me to remind me that my rent has expired and that she wants to know if I'll be renewing or packing out.
I explained to her that I'll be done with my defense within a month or 2 from now and that for the sake of our longtime Landlady/tenant relationship she should give me grace to pay for 3 months so as to allow me prepare well for my Defense and that after my project defence I'll pack out. SHE AGREED!!!
A day or two after our conversation, she called me again to remind me that based on our conversation I should be moving out at the end of May which I concurred to. I also reminded her that I'll pay for the 3 months at the end of March (I've always payed my rent for the next period at the end of March), she said no problem.
All these discussions happened just last week.

Yesterday morning the securityman at the lodge came knocking with a girl standing besides him saying she wants to see my room. I asked the security man why, he said she justs wants to see the size. I refused.
Same yesterday(afternoon) the landlady sent the securityman to me but when he came I was asleep. Later that evening the security man saw me and told me that madam(landlady) has been calling me but I'm not picking her calls. I checked my phone and there were no missed calls, I showed it to him that there's no missed call. I asked him when did madam say she called? He said "ehh madam say when you dey pack?". I was confused, I thought he wasn't aware that me and the landlady had already discussed so I told him to call madam again. He left.

Very early this morning the securityman came knocking at my door, when I opened he was like "ehh Madam say ehh say make you pack comot before Sunday"

I've never been more confused in my entire life as I was this morning. I gave the security man a stern warning not to ever knock on my door to play that kind of play with me.
Like.... WHERE IS IT DONE?!!
I SHOULD PACK OUT WITHIN 2 DAYS?!
AND GO WHERE? AFTER WE HAD AN AGREEMENT?!

Even if she wants me to evacuate her property, I SHOULD DO SO WITHIN 2 DAYS??

NO PRIOR PROBLEMS WITH THE SAID LANDLADY! NO SINGLE MISUNDERSTANDING! NO RENT OWED IN ARREARS.
LIKE... I CAN'T THINK OF ANY SINGLE THING THAT WOULD HAVE WARRANTED SUCH FROM THIS LADY!

I called the landlady to hear from her and understand what's going. All she could say is "Landlord did not agree for payment of 3 months "

THERE'S NO "LANDLORD"!!! SHE OWNS THE PROPERTY.
I've stayed in this Lodge long enough to know that. Everybody knows her as LandLady. Everybody pays their rent directly to her account.

We were arguing on the phone and she hunged up. So I sent her a text telling her that I'll pay for half year(6 months) if she's won't accept 3 months and all she could reply was "I don't collect half months." Her reply was a LIE cos I personally know of 2 different occupants(the lodge has over 30 rooms) who were in same situation as I am in now ( they were left with less than 3 months to conclude their school programs) and they paid for 6 months.

Pls how do I go about this issue? Because moving out on Sunday is not even an option. I don't think there's anywhere it's been done.
If she had told me from the onset that she won't accept 3months and gave me maybe a week or 2 (or even till the end of March) to leave her house, I'd understand.

But that wasn't the case at all. I mea n, we had already concluded. And then she just wakes up one morning telling me to pack out IN 2 DAYS?.
WHERE IS IT BEEN DONE?!

How do I go about this?!

Below is a snippet of the text I sent her and her reply

I'd really appreciate if the mods help me push this so many others with similar experience can help out.
contact your school sug.
Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by SirJerrie(m): 11:59am On Mar 05, 2022
Such is not done anywhere...
If you don't want somebody in your house anymore, you give them time to pack out.
This is just Wickedness in display.

Go to the nearest police station and report the matter. They should know how to follow it up.
If you have a lawyer friend, the better for you.
Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by SirJerrie(m): 12:02pm On Mar 05, 2022
Nutase:
Next time if you have nothing reasonable to say in a thread, just keep quiet.
Bcus she refused to show her room to someone, she should pack out in 2 days?!
What nonsense!!
Re: Help!! Does My Landlady Have The Right To Do This? by Uniquescent(f): 3:26pm On Mar 05, 2022
SirJerrie:
Such is not done anywhere...
If you don't want somebody in your house anymore, you give them time to pack out.
This is just Wickedness in display.

Go to the nearest police station and report the matter. They should know how to follow it up.
If you have a lawyer friend, the better for you.
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

4bedroom Terrace Duplex For Rent @ Chevron... +2348029562694 Eunice / Get 100% Of Your Investment In The First Month In Sunpower / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.