Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,764 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Do's And Dont's When Visiting US - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do's And Dont's When Visiting US (1828 Views)

Why I Dont Like Calling My Friends & Family In Nigeria - UK Based Lady (pic/vid) / 5 Must-see Sites When Visiting Kwara State. / Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Princess80(f): 8:49pm On Mar 04, 2022
You may be probably wondering what I would say especially those of you living here too cos everyone is extremely free to do as he pleases but there are things peculiar to US and not in Nigeria or other countries, I will list just five (7)

1. Dont forget to tip : while no one will question you if you dont tip, it is actually considered rude if you dont tip.

2. Dont come out of your car when the cop stop you : In US, the police is trained to respond to what they feel is a threat, so its better to stay in your car when you are stopped, the cop will come meet you

3.Dont say you hate Donald Trump In US, the leaders and constitution is respected irrespective of their flaws, it will be nice as a visitor, u stay completely out of US politics.

4. Football is not soccer : American football is not thesame as soccer, the average American doesn't know who Ronaldo is, when you say football, you are referring to American football and if you know little about US football, its better not to discuss anything football.

5. Americans love their personal space its advisable not to "frolic" around someone properties, you may have the cops to deal with

6. Know who to tip you can tip a waitress but not the manager, dont tip your doctor, you could tip your personal nurse and please do not tip a policeman

7. US is an expensive country Always have more than what numbeo or epi says

I would appreciate if others could add

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Goldbw122(m): 8:59pm On Mar 04, 2022
Ff
Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by MufasaLion: 9:11pm On Mar 04, 2022
Don't Do Fraud.

Work On Your Perversion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Princess80(f): 9:15pm On Mar 04, 2022
MufasaLion:
Don't Do Fraud.

Work On Your Perversion.
l feel this is not just particular to USA.

Every country frown at fraud

2 Likes

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by MufasaLion: 9:20pm On Mar 04, 2022
Princess80:
l feel this is not just particular to USA.

Every country frown at fraud

You're right but many will get away with fraud in many developing nations unlike a developed nation like the U.S.

I'm happy that lousy bastard (Hushspuppi) is in the U.S. custody now.

3 Likes

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by internationalman(m): 11:07pm On Mar 04, 2022
Don't ever associate yourself with the name Nigeria if you don't want to be isolated..

Claim Iranian rather than Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Cousin9999: 11:39pm On Mar 04, 2022
Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 1:02am On Mar 05, 2022
Don’t take advice from those who have never been to the US.

Don’t put family and friends that live in America in an awkward position by being a bad guest, not following laws, or overstaying your visa.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:24pm On Mar 05, 2022
If you are coming on a student visa, don’t decide not to regular attend the school you were issued the visa to attend. Recently, the immigration agencies have begun to reach out to the schools on a frequent basis to verify the student on the visa is still enrolled and attending classes. If the student is not, the government will then say that student failed to report their change of status and the student’s information will be given to ICE.
This is one of the most common reasons for deportation.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by MufasaLion: 8:48pm On Mar 05, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
If you are coming on a student visa, don’t decide not to regular attend the school you were issued the visa to attend. Recently, the immigration agencies have begun to reach out to the schools on a frequent basis to verify the student on the visa is still enrolled and attending classes. If the student is not, the government will then say that student failed to report their change of status and the student’s information will be given to ICE.
This is one of the most common reasons for deportation.

The U.K. is very strict on this.

5 Likes

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:03pm On Mar 05, 2022
MufasaLion:

The U.K. is very strict on this.

Hi there my friend!
Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by MufasaLion: 10:18pm On Mar 05, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Hi there my friend!

Howdy, my attorney?

2 Likes

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Originalsly: 1:03am On Mar 06, 2022
If anyone does something for you.... no matter how small ... as in holding a door open for you... picking up the umbrella you dropped... giving you directions.... always say thank you... they are serious about this and will say it loud for you if you don't.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by hodari: 2:01am On Mar 06, 2022
Stay away from drug infested cities of America. Live in the suburbs and your children will thank you later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpyHhrDgG5A

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Michelle70(m): 3:55pm On Mar 06, 2022
Hmmm, nice one
Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Bifwoli: 4:27pm On Mar 06, 2022
Princess80:
You may be probably wondering what I would say especially those of you living here too cos everyone is extremely free to do as he pleases but there are things peculiar to US and not in Nigeria or other countries, I will list just five (7)

1. Dont forget to tip : while no one will question you if you dont tip, it is actually considered rude if you dont tip.

2. Dont come out of your car when the cop stop you : In US, the police is trained to respond to what they feel is a threat, so its better to stay in your car when you are stopped, the cop will come meet you

3.Dont say you hate Donald Trump In US, the leaders and constitution is respected irrespective of their flaws, it will be nice as a visitor, u stay completely out of US politics.

4. Football is not soccer : American football is not thesame as soccer, the average American doesn't know who Ronaldo is, when you say football, you are referring to American football and if you know little about US football, its better not to discuss anything football.

5. Americans love their personal space its advisable not to "frolic" around someone properties, you may have the cops to deal with

6. Know who to tip you can tip a waitress but not the manager, dont tip your doctor, you could tip your personal nurse and please do not tip a policeman

7. US is an expensive country Always have more than what numbeo or epi says

I would appreciate if others could add
Minor "correction" on #5 ....some will outright shoot you coz Americans have guns like no other country.

Also don't litter everywhere like we do in Onitsha ,Lusaka Zambia or Accra Ghana .

3 Likes

Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Princess80(f): 9:06pm On Mar 08, 2022
Bifwoli:
Minor "correction" on #5 ....some will outright shoot you coz Americans have guns like no other country.

Also don't litter everywhere like we do in Onitsha ,Lusaka Zambia or Accra Ghana .
To be honest, i haven't seen that in USA and moreover the state where people carry gun mostly is Mississippi and houston where crime and drug is prevalent, though the personal space is also not particular to every state as you can't do without it in manhattan since u can't find a family home.
Also Soho has waste littered on the streets especially chinatown.
Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 23, 2022
Thanks for sharing this princess. I can attest to most of these. I'll follow you. Thanks
Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Helpout12345: 5:09pm On Nov 23, 2022
Not all big girls you see are adults. Ask for age before you continue.

Not all people dressed like a woman are truly women. Some Trans will look more beautiful than real women. Ask about gender at birth before you continue.

This is for my guys.
Re: Do's And Dont's When Visiting US by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 23, 2022
Helpout12345:
Not all big girls you see are adults. Ask for age before you continue.

Not all people dressed like a woman are truly women. Some Trans will look more beautiful than real women. Ask about gender at birth before you continue.

This is for my guys.

You cracked me up. grin

(1) (Reply)

Inside Sweden Largest Immigration Centre / Fuel Scarcity Hits Azare - Bauchi State (photo). / Don't Try Going To Europe By Land(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.