Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,999 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC (19015 Views)

Dangote, Modular Refineries To Pay Naira For Crude / Mele Kyari: Refineries Can’t Be Restored Soon, A Process Is Going On / FG To Establish 18 Modular Refineries In Oil-Producing States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 4:01pm On Mar 05, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

What I know is that it is an illogical lie for anyone to try to make it seem the same cost to buy imported petrol from overseas, compared to buying from local refineries.

The government buying from local refineries does not mean making them sell below the production price but above. The government bears the brunts of the excesses.

That is what our allocations are for. Making lives easier for the masses. Not harder.

Our allocations are not for politicians to buy exotic cars and build mansions for their girlfriends.

You guys stop making it look like it is a crime for the government to spend allocations on the masses.

It is illogical for this man to sell to us that it is okay to keep importing, instead of channelling to funds to enable local refinery operators to meet local production of PMS.

They should spend on the masses.

But the cost of subsidy is greater than any amount raised from savings made from cutting cost....
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Chukwumawisdom: 4:01pm On Mar 05, 2022
BSsniffer:
grin story..... modular refineries can't refine crude oil because it would affect dangotes business.

We can divert those subsidies to modular refineries.

the money they are using to import the refined crude and paying of subsidy should be given to modular refinary owners
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by KazikageSama: 4:06pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

Subsidies means that the refineries would be forced to sell at a loss, and the subsidy would be paid to cover the loss.

The same subsidy would be inadequate to cover the loss, because cost of production rises every year.

We did the same with our 4 refineries, forced them to operate at a loss, and paid a subsidy that did not cover the loss.And they all broke down because they were not allowed to be profitable in the name of subsidy, with corruption and sabotage being the side effects.

You are right Sir, cost of production increases every year but let's not forget that even subsidy also rises every year to counter the production rise.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Alexgeneration(m): 4:06pm On Mar 05, 2022
mrvitalis:

Bros crude oil is over $100
In simple words, every 159 liters (barrel ) of Crude oil produces the following:
* 73 liters Petrol
* 36 liters Diesel
* 20 liters Jet fuel & heavy fuel oil
* 6 liters Propene
&
* 34 liters of other products (Butane, Asphalt & Sulphur) this is even the efficiency of big refineries but let's assume small refinery can produce this
That's 12k for petrol (at 170)+12k for diesel(at 350) +8400 for jet fuel at (420 ) plus propane 4800( at 700) that's 37200 for a product u bought for 55000 ($100) that's that's 18k loss ..ooh

So let's assume their is a petrochemical plant that would by the waste at 8k highly unlikely ...that's still 10k loss ...

Notice a price the products at retail price

Power , labour, maintenance haven't been added ooh

So oga would you do this business after investing 15 million dollars ?

They have been producing the fuel without these your analysis and supplying them to the filling stations.

Take the byproducts to petrochemical in Rivers state.

The ones that were refined abroad, did the refineries pay for the byproducts? NO. They gave us what we wanted, we paid them and left the byproducts for them. So,why the change of operation because it's refined locally?

This is one of the reasons people hate this country and the leaders.

You pay millions abroad to refine the oil, we said, pay the same millions to your fellow countrymen to refine the same oil, you begin to give excuses.

Give them just

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Olufemiolaolu(m): 4:07pm On Mar 05, 2022
[Nothing that will benefit the all and sundry hardly works in Nigeria. Those who are benefit ing won't allow it to work. Some Nnpc staffs are culpable in this.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Fourwinds: 4:28pm On Mar 05, 2022
mrvitalis:
This is what I was saying for long people abused me

Not only that most can't even produce petrol

For what we sale fuel in Nigeria no refinery would break even in 100 years even

Fuel should sale for nothing less than 400 a litre
Not only should subsidy be removed ...#50 to #80 road tax should be imposed for fuel and #100 tax on diesel for road maintenance

Poor people don't benefit from subsidy it's the rich n middle class that do
I wanted to ignore this thread but many of you reason through your anus...so poor people don't take transport right? A young graduate earning #30000 to #50000 won't take taxi or buses to work abi.. And farmers won't transport themselves and goods to the market right. Reason with your brain not anus

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by freshkpomo(m): 4:32pm On Mar 05, 2022
mrvitalis:

You guys are so emotional and don't see the big picture reason why Nigeria is like this
I said it before that yiu are stupid. So because they did not increae fuel price that's why Nigeria is like this? If all the money they stole were properly utilized will we be here in the first place? You are just too dumb, it's an insult wasting insults in dumb people because they never learn. So it's our enotion that embezzle funds to Europe? You don't know how state government tax the hell out of people, your brain need an upgrade.

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by mrvitalis(m): 4:52pm On Mar 05, 2022
Alexgeneration:

They have been producing the fuel without these your analysis and supplying them to the filling stations.

Take the byproducts to petrochemical in Rivers state.

The ones that were refined abroad, did the refineries pay for the byproducts? NO. They gave us what we wanted, we paid them and left the byproducts for them. So,why the change of operation because it's refined locally?

This is one of the reasons people hate this country and the leaders.

You pay millions abroad to refine the oil, we said, pay the same millions to your fellow countrymen to refine the same oil, you begin to give excuses.

Give them just
Lol do u know what subsidy is ? Lmao subsidy is why u buy fuel that cheap ...no body would operate refinery when government tells u what to sale

U asked me to counter you ..I gave u a business analysis and you here talking crap

What u buy in Nigeria is low grade fuel that no body in EU or America would buy
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by BennyDGreat: 4:53pm On Mar 05, 2022
mrvitalis:

Sure but they should have removed it in 2015

Is it not the same people in government today that protested against it.
Now, it's difficult to do that due to widespread inflation.

The blueprint wey we no get for Nigeria really messed up things. Removing subsidy without nothing to reduce the effect on the masses is a misfire.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by mrvitalis(m): 4:56pm On Mar 05, 2022
freshkpomo:

I said it before that yiu are stupid. So because they did not increae fuel price that's why Nigeria is like this? If all the money they stole were properly utilized will we be here in the first place? You are just too dumb, it's an insult wasting insults in dumb people because they never learn. So it's our enotion that embezzle funds to Europe? You don't know how state government tax the hell out of people, your brain need an upgrade.
So there is no corruption in Ghana , Benin and Cameroon ? So Nigerians are poorer than those country ?

Subsidy itself aids the corruption u want to fight

People like u believe it's possible to have democracy without corruption .. lmfao I laugh ...call me names if u like

But if Nigeria dont remove subsidy tax petrol enforce tax payment by everyone na still same complain u go dey complain in 50 years time

Only a fool keep doing same thing and expecting different results

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by rudyislife: 4:57pm On Mar 05, 2022
uccheks:
I'm I missing something. You pay subsidy on imported products with landing cost inclusive. Yet you can't pay subsidy to encourage local modular refining pending when you are sensible enough to deregulate. It's either I'm too stupid to understand what's up or the MD is a Duns. Irredeemable Clowns
I thought I was the only one who saw it from this angle,why not lau the subsidy also to the modular refineries?that way we will have double effect as the money would still go back into our economy.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by babajero(m): 4:57pm On Mar 05, 2022
Come to think of it, Biafra refined fuel with its limited resources, what Nigeria can't do for more than 60 years now, Nigeria is really a failed state.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by mrvitalis(m): 4:58pm On Mar 05, 2022
Fourwinds:
I wanted to ignore this thread but many of you reason through your anus...so poor people don't take transport right? A young graduate earning #30000 to #50000 won't take taxi or buses to work abi.. And farmers won't transport themselves and goods to the market right. Reason with your brain not anus
So Ghana don't have poor people , Cameroon font have people earning 30,000 a month ? Benin don't have farmers transporting goods yet they pay #400 per litre of fuel

Keep wanting short term comfort ...Nigeria can never grow with petrol at below #400 mind u I have a car ,a business that's not connected to NEPA and it would affect me too ...but it's for the long term good of us all

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by mrvitalis(m): 4:59pm On Mar 05, 2022
BennyDGreat:

Is it not the same people in government today that protested against it.
Now, it's difficult to do that due to widespread inflation.

The blueprint wey we no get for Nigeria really messed up things. Removing subsidy without nothing to reduce the effect on the masses is a misfire.
Not removing subsidy was why Jonathan lost my support
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Raypawer(m): 5:03pm On Mar 05, 2022
Omo, that Line of brilliance!

'We can divert subsidiary to modular refineries'

Well said!

BSsniffer:
grin story..... modular refineries can't refine crude oil because it would affect dangotes business.

We can divert those subsidies to modular refineries.

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Raypawer(m): 5:05pm On Mar 05, 2022
How about subsidy for modular refineries?

It's better than importing fuel

backbencher:

Because you did not read the article

In other words, if you want a madular refinery, you have to let it run at a profit, and that means removing subsides, and allowing the market to control the price...ie make a profit.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by TenQ: 5:11pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:
What the NNPC boss is saying is simple.

Modular refineries can only work when government allows petrol to be sold at market price, otherwise they won't make enough of a profit to function well otherwise.

Unfortunately the mumu government forget that they own the oil wells and could have decreed that modular refineries purchase crude oil at a discount.

If I have yam farm and my family has to eat pounded yam, should I give my yams to the cook I employed to cook for my family at market price?
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Remman(m): 5:13pm On Mar 05, 2022
Una don start again! Every time, una go find one foolish reason to stop them from refining crude. Why una no allow them to come out and say so by themselves? Na una go give the announcement on their behalfs? Na wa o...!
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by timefarm(m): 5:15pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

And then the people who bring that crude oil out will be angry with you for reducing their salaries, plus the companies drilling won't have much profit to maintain their rigs, expand their rigs, and so forth.

Dude, everything has to operate at a profit. What you are calling for is similar to someone telling you to do the same work at the cost of them paying you half your salary, with no chance of salary increase, even when promoted.
What is all these you are saying?
The subsidy being paid, is it profit or loss?

It will still amount to the same thing. The subsidy that ought to be paid for the qty being refined here can be used to balance the exploration and production company for now.

Besides all things being equal, the cost of refining here will be cheaper since shipping fee will be out of it.

Even if same cost, more job opportunities created here.

So your analysis does not hold.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 05, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Are the foreign companies not paying these, importing crudes, then you pay for landing cost etc?

We will use local crude, which the foreign refineries buy. We will not pay landing cost.

So the cost is cheaper for the government to buy than importing.

It is cheaper than importing. Not free. Cheaper. So government will spend far less subsidizing it and the local refineries will not run at a loss.

The assumption is that the local refiner would 'make it cheap' for us. Sadly it does not work that way really.

Machinery, maintenance, sataff salaries, upgrades, even the cost of a new refinery come from the profits made by the exisiting private refinery.

That's why it is essential they operate at a profit.

You want cheap fuel . Cheap fuel for me is unrealistic.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 05, 2022
erico2k2:

Sorry thats is Daft on the part of the reporter cos if the subsidy was paid to the local refineries, they can function till such time where the subsidy is refused. There should have been no talk of subsidy not being paid sited as the reason the local refineries cant work Rather NNPC is sitting on it to make sure they dont work

So, you want a refinery to refine fuel at N250, sell it at N150, and lose N100 as a result per liter of fuel, and pay a subsidy of N30 that cuts the loss to N70 per liter of fuel?

Nice for the masses, but bad for the continued functioning of the refinery. Local or otherwise.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 05, 2022
erico2k2:

I think you should pay attention to subsidy 101

Ah, when derogatory remarks come, time to go.

Thanks for your time, and take it easy.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 05, 2022
erico2k2:

you come across as someone with no BILLS YET
cos this right there is shallow, no offence!

Thanks, and good e'en. And yes, I have bills. So do those who work in the petrol industry and who cannot pay their bills effectively thanks to subsidy and price controls.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 05, 2022
KazikageSama:

You are right Sir, cost of production increases every year but let's not forget that even subsidy also rises every year to counter the production rise.

Problem is, the subsidy rising is dependent on government revneue.

Revenue comes from crude oil...whose prices are never where we want them (Even during the times of plenty under GEJ, we were still ten dollars short of our ideal crude oil price on a good day...)..so at the end we take loans . (That's partly why Bubu takes so many loans. Even now, he needs N3 trillion for subsidises this year, up from N1 trillion 3 years ago.)
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 5:29pm On Mar 05, 2022
Raypawer:
How about subsidy for modular refineries?

It's better than importing fuel

No, because it means the government will set price at a level where they lose money, and give them subsidy that won't even begin to cover their losses.

That's a big reason why we lost our old refineries.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 5:33pm On Mar 05, 2022
TenQ:

Unfortunately the mumu government forget that they own the oil wells and could have decreed that modular refineries purchase crude oil at a discount

So, you are now going to tell the people drilling the oil, the people running the rigs that drill the oil and the owner of the rigs that they are not going to earn far less than they earned last year?

Right...see if they keep drilling for oil if government is selling at a discount. Plus, if I was government and you were selling rice, and I told you to start selling rice at N1000 per 50kg bag today, would you like it?

PEOPLE love to make money. Even oil rig workers. Discounted crude=reduced earnings for them their oga, and the owner of the rigs and oil wells.

If I have yam farm and my family has to eat pounded yam, should I give my yams to the cook I employed to cook for my family at market price?

There is a world of difference between farming for yourself, and farming yam that would be sold to make money. Unless you are Ebenezer Scrooge, you won't sell the yam you farm to your wife so that she can cook!
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by erico2k2(m): 5:36pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

So, you want a refinery to refine fuel at N250, sell it at N150, and lose N100 as a result per liter of fuel, and pay a subsidy of N30 that cuts the loss to N70 per liter of fuel?

Nice for the masses, but bad for the continued functioning of the refinery. Local or otherwise.
I think this is the time for you to leave and stick to Wolves V crystal palace. If you indeed know what subsidy is you wont have made that statement, it feels like have no clue of what it means for an FG to subsidise a product for its citizen if you knew then you would have realized that the 100 you are quoting as loss would be the subsidy!
once again read up what subsidy means instead of making yourself sound not so intelligent!

2 Likes

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by erico2k2(m): 5:37pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

No, because it means the government will set price at a level where they lose money, and give them subsidy that won't even begin to cover their losses.

That's a big reason why we lost our old refineries.
Nop our Old refineries died cos people want to import and inflate the volume of imported product to claim subsidy for fluids they never supplied.

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 05, 2022
timefarm:

What is all these you are saying?
The subsidy being paid, is it profit or loss?

It will still amount to the same thing. The subsidy that ought to be paid for the qty being refined here can be used to balance the exploration and production company for now.

Besides all things being equal, the cost of refining here will be cheaper since shipping fee will be out of it.

Even if same cost, more job opportunities created here.

So your analysis does not hold.

THE SUBSIDY DOES NOT COVER THE LOSS INCURRED IN SELLING FUEL BELOW THE PRODUCTION COST.

It's like you prooducing yam at a cost of N2000 per tuber and selling it at N500 a tuber (because government wants the poor to eat yam) and government pays you, in addition to the N500, a subsiody of N500, so you lose N1000 per tuber of yam sold.

See why we don;t have refineries?
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 05, 2022
[quote author=erico2k2 post=110776445]
I think this is the time for you to leave and stick to Wolves V crystal palace.

Why are you now getting so emotional over an abstract discussion? At the end, it won't matter in 20 years. Calm down.

If you indeed know what subsidy is you wont have made that statement, it feels like have no clue of what it means for an FG to subsidise a product for its citizen if you knew then you would have realized that the 100 you are quoting as loss would be the subsidy!
once again read up what subsidy means instead of making yourself sound not so intelligent!

Thank you and good evening
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 05, 2022
erico2k2:

Nop our Old refineries died cos people want to import and inflate the volume of imported product to claim subsidy for fluids they never supplied.

Good evening and good luck .
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by erico2k2(m): 5:44pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

Problem is, the subsidy rising is dependent on government revneue.

Revenue comes from crude oil...whose prices are never where we want them (Even during the times of plenty under GEJ, we were still ten dollars short of our ideal crude oil price on a good day...)..so at the end we take loans . (That's partly why Bubu takes so many loans. Even now, he needs N3 trillion for subsidises this year, up from N1 trillion 3 years ago.)
As we speak, we can never have it as good for the last two years, for that past 1 year Oil has been above $90 no one is talking about it, they all went hush hush. Subsidy is the right of the common man and its the Only Bill the Fg pays to elevate the plight of the man on the street so it must go on. What they the FG should check is the corruption surrounding subsidy and volume allocated V volumes supplied. We all hailed the NNPC when they became sole importer we never knew theirs would be worse. As we speak, the FG is getting the Highest revenue from Oil since the exportation of crude from Nigeria. Let the modular refineries sell to the importers and the FG pays the difference in subsidy period.The west still subsidise Diesel for its people ie in the UK up till now still subsidise Diesel to farmers and some sectors of the economy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ijaw Women Of America Cry Out Over Conditions Of Flood Victims In Niger Delta / Senate Presidency: Ex-Zamfara Gov, Yari Warns APC / Operation Zero Potholes Working In Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.