Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC (19055 Views)

Dangote, Modular Refineries To Pay Naira For Crude / Mele Kyari: Refineries Can’t Be Restored Soon, A Process Is Going On / FG To Establish 18 Modular Refineries In Oil-Producing States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by HardMirror(m): 3:05pm On Mar 05, 2022
Alexgeneration:

Buhari gave out $1 million of our money to Afghanistan and you're here giving me reasons why we cannot do what it takes to develop this country .

You're paying millions to refine outside, we say pay the same millions to refine here and you begin to reel out excuses.

Later when people cuss and hate on this country, you lots begin to mouth Patriotism like it's going out of fashion.
that backbenchers guy has some sentimental issues on this topic obviously he is not being logical at all

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Alexgeneration(m): 3:05pm On Mar 05, 2022
HardMirror:
he did not abuse you. You are indeed a joker.
Guy no mind that guy. He thinks we're all stupid.

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 05, 2022
Alexgeneration:

Buhari gave out $1 million of our money to Afghanistan and you're here giving me reasons why we cannot do what it takes to develop this country .

You're paying millions to refine outside, we say pay the same millions to refine here and you begin to reel out excuses.

Later when people cuss and hate on this country, you lots begin to mouth Patriotism like it's going out of fashion.

OMG...So because I support removal of fuel subsidy, I must support Buhari's wrong idea in giving Afghansitan money?

Okay, I give up. cheesy
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 05, 2022
HardMirror:
he did not abuse you. You are indeed a joker.

God bless.
CyberHustle:
you are so funny. Foreign refiners pay more and incur more production cost. What's your point exactly?

refining at home does not mean fuel would cost N162 or below.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:09pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

Well, we just don't buy from standard foreign refineries. We buy from (by EU standards) substandard, which helps keep subsidy costs and import costs low. (If we bought from standard refineries, we would be buying fuel above N400 per liter, even with subsidy).

There is an article in the UK GUARDIAN on the matter....link here

Also, domestic refining does not mean fuel below N200. Niger has a domestic refinery, which is supplied from crude oil from a domestic well (not imported) and they sell fuel at N350 a liter there. Costs of business , salaries, transporter's costs, etc

You are forgetting our government signed MOU to import Petrol from Niger at the so called astronomical cost but it is a taboo for them to do the same for a local refinery.

They should quit the joke.

By the way, Niger produces 13,000 barrels of crude per day, while Nigeria produces 2.5 million barrels per day.

There is no way Niger's Crude production can meet the demands. They are likely importing crude.

The Government has no excuse why they can not support local refinery operators.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by CyberHustle: 3:10pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

refining at home does not mean fuel would cost N162 or below.
nobody is saying the above. What is happening is that govt should buy at prevailing Intl market rate from local refiners too same way they have been doing for foreign refiners for ages.

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 05, 2022
HardMirror:
we are talking about standard modular refineries. They are not built to have return on investment in few months. Even if the cost is $100million, there are lots of businessmen that are ready to put their money down for the long term haul. You think telecoms is also cheap? Same thing can be done in the petroleum industry

1.Except that telecoms was allowed to operate at a profit from day one

2.It matters not how many people put their money in something, if the something they put their money in cannot operate at a profit, then it won't work

You want cheap fuel. I think it isn't realistic. On that we can agree to disagree

Good afternoon and have a prosperous year.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by HardMirror(m): 3:11pm On Mar 05, 2022
erico2k2:

why cant the FG pay the subsidy to the modular refineries so they can function. at least we know where our petrol is coming from and the volume can be checked.
Answer, fraud wil be reduced so they dnt like this.
leave this guy alone. It is obvious he is part of this corrupt government. See fooolishness. Why cant the government pay that subsidy to support local production... no they must import and pay more for the logistics and duties of of the exporting countries.

2 Likes

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 05, 2022
CyberHustle:
nobody is saying the above. What is happening is that govt should buy at prevailing Intl market rate from local refiners too same way they have been doing for foreign refiners for ages.

And once they do that they should sell at a price higher than the market rate so that they can make a profit, not the one where they buy at N282, sell at N162 and pay a subsidy that does not cover the difference

That's where you and I disagree on. I guess we can leave it there. Cheap fuel is not realistic.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by HardMirror(m): 3:13pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

1.Except that telecoms was allowed to operate at a profit from day one

2.It matters not how many people put their money in something, if the something they put their money in cannot operate at a profit, then it won't work

You want cheap fuel. I think it isn't realistic. On that we can agree to disagree

Good afternoon and have a prosperous year.
was Nitel being subsidized before? I have gone through this thread from page one. You have nothing reasonable to say. People have asked you the key questions we should be asking and you have been busy gaslighting. Please stop quoting me you dont know what you are talking about
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by freshkpomo(m): 3:17pm On Mar 05, 2022
mrvitalis:
This is what I was saying for long people abused
Now I see why people always insult you because you don't think with your head at all. Do you know the implication of this on the cost of transportation? Do you know that once transport cost increases so many goods will increase along? So you know how much food stuffs will cost at that rate? Yiu are either dumb,or yiu are heartless..

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 05, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

You are forgetting our government signed MOU to import Petrol from Niger at the so called astronomical cost but it is a taboo for them to do the same for a local refinery

The problem is, government is not allowing the local refinery operate at a profit, by insisting that the price of fuel at the pump must be below the production price...and even buying it from Niger means we sell at a loss of N150 or thereabouts...which the subsidy paid cannot cover.(We buy at N350 from Niger and sell at N162 at the pump and pay subsidy to cover the loss. Does not make sense)

I think we agree there should be local refineries, where we disagree is the price they should sell at.

They should quit the joke.

Yes, by removing subsidy.

By the way, Niger produces 13,000 barrels of crude per day, while Nigeria produces 2.5 million barrels per day.

There is no way Niger's Crude production can meet the demands. They are likely importing crude.

Well, if you check their company (the chinese company involved)'s website they are a crude oil producer, and they meet their refinery needs from their domestic crude. The following quote comes from the Wikipedia page on PETROLEUM INDUSTRY IN NIGER

Niger has a long history of petroleum exploration dating back to the 1970s. However, it is only recently in 2011 that the petroleum industry of Niger was born with the opening of the Agadem oilfield and the Soraz refinery near Zinder. The oil and gas extracted from the Agadem field are processed at the Soraz refinery and products (gasoline, diesel and liquified natural gas) are primarily for domestic consumption. Since the beginning of the oil extraction

They have an oilfiled...Agadem.

No imports.

The Government has no excuse why they can not support local refinery operators.

I think we agree 100% on that, where we disagree is how we should support them. For me it means letting them operate at a profit, even if it means we all pay above N300 or more at the pump.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by CyberHustle: 3:23pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

And once they do that they should sell at a price higher than the market rate so that they can make a profit, not the one where they buy at N282, sell at N162 and pay a subsidy that does not cover the difference

That's where you and I disagree on. I guess we can leave it there. Cheap fuel is not realistic.
they will sell any price they like. They can sell lower to subsidize but have no business selling higher to make profit from the owners of NNPC.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 05, 2022
HardMirror:
was Nitel being subsidized before?

Does a chicken have wings?

Also, even with the GSM revolution, NITEL was charging below cost , which led to MTEL collapsing .

I have gone through this thread from page one. You have nothing reasonable to say. People have asked you the key questions we should be asking and you have been busy gaslighting. Please stop quoting me you dont know what you are talking about

Thanks and have a nice day too.

We can agree to disagree.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 05, 2022
CyberHustle:
they will sell any price they like. They can sell lower to subsidize but have no business selling higher to make profit from the owners of NNPC.

Good, so I see you want deregulation too.

And the removal of subsidies as well.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by mrvitalis(m): 3:32pm On Mar 05, 2022
Alexgeneration:
Counter his argument of giving one oil well to one modular refinery to produce and sell to their local market.

I'm waiting.
Bros crude oil is over $100
In simple words, every 159 liters (barrel ) of Crude oil produces the following:
* 73 liters Petrol
* 36 liters Diesel
* 20 liters Jet fuel & heavy fuel oil
* 6 liters Propene
&
* 34 liters of other products (Butane, Asphalt & Sulphur) this is even the efficiency of big refineries but let's assume small refinery can produce this
That's 12k for petrol (at 170)+12k for diesel(at 350) +8400 for jet fuel at (420 ) plus propane 4800( at 700) that's 37200 for a product u bought for 55000 ($100) that's that's 18k loss ..ooh

So let's assume their is a petrochemical plant that would by the waste at 8k highly unlikely ...that's still 10k loss ...

Notice a price the products at retail price

Power , labour, maintenance haven't been added ooh

So oga would you do this business after investing 15 million dollars ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by mrvitalis(m): 3:33pm On Mar 05, 2022
freshkpomo:

Now I see why people always insult you because you don't think with your head at all. Do you know the implication of this on the cost of transportation? Do you know that once transport cost increases so many goods will increase along? So you know how much food stuffs will cost at that rate? Yiu are either dumb,or yiu are heartless..
You guys are so emotional and don't see the big picture reason why Nigeria is like this

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Blackdisciple(m): 3:36pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:
What the NNPC boss is saying is simple.

Modular refineries can only work when government allows petrol to be sold at market price, otherwise they won't make enough of a profit to function well otherwise.

Ok

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:39pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

The problem is, government is not allowing the local refinery operate at a profit, by insisting that the price of fuel at the pump must be below the production price...and even buying it from Niger means we sell at a loss of N150 or thereabouts...which the subsidy paid cannot cover.(We buy at N350 from Niger and sell at N162 at the pump and pay subsidy to cover the loss. Does not make sense)

I think we agree there should be local refineries, where we disagree is the price they should sell at.

Well, if you check their company (the chinese company involved)'s website they are a crude oil producer, and they meet their refinery needs from their domestic crude. The following quote comes from the Wikipedia page on PETROLEUM INDUSTRY IN NIGER

No imports.

I think we agree 100% on that, where we disagree is how we should support them. For me it means letting them operate at a profit, even if it means we all pay above N300 or more at the pump.

You make it sound as if the marketers or refinery operators will pay for the subsidies?

It is the government and the money comes from taxes and allocations.

You are making it sound as if the government must make profit out of the citizens. They are already making loads from the allocations and taxes.

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by sammhi(m): 3:39pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

Modular refineries can only work when government allows petrol to be sold at market price, otherwise they won't make enough of a profit to function well otherwise.

These guys are just comedians
Sell to your local refineries for domestic consumption at a lower price ..is this a rocket science ?
First , what's cost of production ? To produce at home is far cheaper because cost of shipping ,barging etc are off . Fuel is always cheaper with oil producing countries Nigeria can't be an exception
Truth is these guys don't want importation to stop if not how will they get 3 trn to loot so easily .hence they come up with lame duck excuse

2 Likes

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

Wisdom no go Kee you grin grin

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 05, 2022
sammhi:

These guys are just comedians
Sell to your local refineries for domestic consumption at a lower price ..is this a rocket science ?
First , what's cost of production ? To produce at home is far cheaper because cost of shipping ,barging etc are off . Fuel is always cheaper with oil producing countries Nigeria can't be an exception
Truth is these guys don't want importation to stop if not how will they get 3 trn to loot so easily .hence they come up with lame duck excuse

The mistake you are making is assuming domestic production is cheaper.

It wont be..you still have to pay maintenance, upgrade, taxes, staff salaries and welfare and in addition add the marketers and teansport cost.

At the end it won't be be below 200 naira per liter of pms.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Mayeldah(m): 3:42pm On Mar 05, 2022
jmoore:
Dumb reasons!!!

They can produce and export to neighboring African countries.

They can produce and the government will buy it at subsidize rates too.

It is cheaper to subsidize locally refined petrol than imported petrol.

Thank you my brother. Buhari's government is full of lies. Subsidize local productions and you won't have fx problem. That way, more local refineries will emerge to meet up with local demand. Ndi Ara!

1 Like

Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:43pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

No imports.

What I know is that it is an illogical lie for anyone to try to make it seem the same cost to buy imported petrol from overseas, compared to buying from local refineries.

The government buying from local refineries does not mean making them sell below the production price but above. The government bears the brunts of the excesses.

That is what our allocations are for. Making lives easier for the masses. Not harder.

Our allocations are not for politicians to buy exotic cars and build mansions for their girlfriends.

You guys stop making it look like it is a crime for the government to spend allocations on the masses.

It is illogical for this man to sell to us that it is okay to keep importing, instead of channelling to funds to enable local refinery operators to meet local production of PMS.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:46pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

The mistake you are making is assuming domestic production is cheaper.

It wont be..you still have to pay maintenance, upgrade, taxes, staff salaries and welfare and in addition add the marketers and teansport cost.

At the end it won't be be below 200 naira per liter of pms.

Are the foreign companies not paying these, importing crudes, then you pay for landing cost etc?

We will use local crude, which the foreign refineries buy. We will not pay landing cost.

So the cost is cheaper for the government to buy than importing.

It is cheaper than importing. Not free. Cheaper. So government will spend far less subsidizing it and the local refineries will not run at a loss.
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by erico2k2(m): 3:53pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

The point of the report is that subsidises , which is part of the 'regulated price' system, won't let the refineries operate at a profit.
Sorry thats is Daft on the part of the reporter cos if the subsidy was paid to the local refineries, they can function till such time where the subsidy is refused. There should have been no talk of subsidy not being paid sited as the reason the local refineries cant work Rather NNPC is sitting on it to make sure they dont work
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by erico2k2(m): 3:54pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

No imports.

I think you should pay attention to subsidy 101
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by erico2k2(m): 3:56pm On Mar 05, 2022
backbencher:

you come across as someone with no BILLS YET
cos this right there is shallow, no offence!
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by Yankee101: 3:57pm On Mar 05, 2022
So they won't produce cheap fuel and the stealing can continue
Re: Modular Refineries Can’t Refine Fuel Due To Price Regulation – NNPC by brandsoncharlie: 3:57pm On Mar 05, 2022
uccheks:
I'm I missing something. You pay subsidy on imported products with landing cost inclusive. Yet you can't pay subsidy to encourage local modular refining pending when you are sensible enough to deregulate. It's either I'm too stupid to understand what's up or the MD is a Duns. Irredeemable Clowns
They are playing games to loot don't mind them.
Every time excuses.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Former Nigerian Foreign Affairs Minister Gbenga Ashiru is dead. / The Deplorable State Of Lawanson Itire Road / PDP-Dominated Assembly: The Next Fight For Lyon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.