Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,377 members, 7,819,370 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia (4451 Views)

British Father Who Travelled To Ukraine To Fight Flees Back To UK / Biden: The U.S Will Not Send Troops To Defend Ukraine Against Russia / Taliban Parade American Military Equipments & Armoured Trucks: Pics & Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by IhateYouMan: 5:52pm On Mar 05, 2022
Hector served two violent tours in Iraq as a United States Marine, then got out, got a pension and a civilian job, and thought he was done with military service. But on Friday, he boarded a plane for one more deployment, this time as a volunteer in Ukraine. He checked in several bags filled with rifle scopes, helmets and body armor donated by other veterans.

He is one of a surge of American veterans who say they are now preparing to join the fight in Ukraine, emboldened by the invitation of the country’s president, Volodymyr Zelensky, who earlier this week announced he was creating an “international legion” and asked volunteers from around the world to help defend his nation against Russia.

Ukraine’s minister of foreign affairs, Dmytro Kuleba, echoed the call for fighters, saying on Twitter, “Together we defeated Hitler, and we will defeat Putin, too.”

Hector said he hoped to train Ukrainians in his expertise: armored vehicles and heavy weapons.

“A lot of veterans, we have a calling to serve, and we trained our whole career for this kind of war,” he said. “Sitting by and doing nothing? I had to do that when Afghanistan fell apart, and it weighted heavily on me. I had to act.”

All across the United States, small groups of military veterans are gathering, planning and getting passports in order. After years of serving in smoldering occupations, trying to spread democracy in places that had only a tepid interest in it, many are hungry for what they see as a

“It’s a conflict that has a clear good and bad side, and maybe that stands apart from other recent conflicts,” said David Ribardo, a former Army officer who now owns a property management business in Allentown, Pa. “A lot of us are watching what is happening and just want to grab a rifle and go over there.”

After the invasion, he saw veterans flooding social media eager to join the fight. Unable to go because of commitments here, he has spent the past week acting as a sort of middle man for a group called Volunteers for Ukraine, identifying veterans and other volunteers with useful skills and connecting them with donors who buy gear and airline tickets.

“It was very quickly overwhelming, almost too many people wanted to help,” he said. In the past week, he said he has worked to sift those with valuable combat or medical skills from people he described as “combat tourists, who don’t have the correct experience and would not be an asset.”

He said his group has also had to comb out a number of extremists.

Fund-raising sites such as GoFundMe have rules against collecting money for armed conflict, so Mr. Ribardo said his group and others have been careful to avoid specifically directing anyone to get involved in the fighting. Rather, he said, he simply connects those he has vetted with people who want to donate plane tickets and nonlethal supplies, describing his role as being “a Tinder for veterans and donors.”

A number of mainstream media outlets, including Military Times and Time, have published step-by-step guides on joining the military in Ukraine. The Ukrainian government instructed interested volunteers to contact its consulates this week.

Several veterans who contacted the consulates this week said they were still waiting for a response, and believed staff members were overwhelmed.

On Thursday, Mr. Zelensky claimed in a video on Telegram that 16,000 volunteers had joined the international brigade, though it is unclear what the true number is. The New York Times was not able to identify any veterans actively fighting in Ukraine.

The outpouring of support is driven, veterans said, by past experiences. Some want to try to recapture the intense clarity and purpose they felt in war, which is often missing in modern suburban life. Others want a chance to make amends for failed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan, and see the fight to defend a democracy against a totalitarian invader as the reason they joined the military.

To an extent not seen in past conflicts, the impulse to join has been fueled partly by an increasingly connected world. Americans watching real-time video in Ukraine can, with a click, connect to like-minded volunteers around the globe. A veteran in Phoenix can find a donor in London with unused airline miles, a driver in Warsaw offering a free ride to the border and a local to stay with in Ukraine.

Of course, war is rarely as straightforward as the deeply felt idealism that drives people to enlist. And volunteers risk not only their own lives, but also drawing the United States into a direct conflict with Russia.

“War is an unpredictable animal, and once you let it out, no one — no one — knows what will happen,” said Daniel Gale, who lost a leg in Iraq before going on to teach leadership for several years at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and retiring as a lieutenant colonel. He said he understood the urge to fight but said the risk of escalation resulting in nuclear war was too great.

“I just feel heartsick,” he said. “War is terrible and the innocent always suffer most.”

The risk of unintended escalation has led the U.S. federal government to try to keep citizens from becoming freelance fighters, not just in this conflict, but for centuries. In 1793, President Washington issued a Proclamation of Neutrality warning Americans to stay out of the French Revolution. But the efforts have been uneven, and often swayed by the larger national sentiment. So over the generations a steady stream of idealists, romantics, mercenaries and filibusters have taken up arms, — riding with Pancho Villa in Mexico, ferrying arms to Cuba, battling communists in Africa and even trying to establish new slave states in Central America.

The civil war in Spain just before the start of World War II is the best-known example. More than 3,000 Americans joined what became know as the Lincoln-Washington Battalion, to fight with the elected leftist government against fascist forces.

At the time, the United States wanted to avoid war with Europe, and stayed neutral, but the Young Communist League rented billboards to recruit fighters, and members of the establishment held fund-raisers to send young men overseas.

That effort, now often romanticized as a valiant prelude to the fight against the Nazis, ended badly. The poorly trained and equipped brigades made a disastrous assault of a fortified ridge in 1937 and three-quarters of the men were killed or wounded. Others faced near starvation in captivity. Their leader, a former math professor who was the inspiration for the protagonist in Ernest Hemingway’s novel “For Whom the Bell Tolls” was later captured and most likely executed.

On Thursday, the Russian Defense Ministry spokesman, Igor Konashenkov, told the Russian News Agency that foreign fighters would not be considered soldiers, but mercenaries, and would not be protected under humanitarian rules regarding the treatment of prisoners of war.

“At best, they can expect to be prosecuted as criminals,” Mr. Konashenkov said. We are urging all foreign citizens who may have plans to go and fight for Kyiv’s nationalist regime to think a dozen times before getting on the way.”

Despite the risks — both individual and strategic — the United States government has so far been measured in its warnings. Asked during a news conference this week what he would tell Americans who want to fight in Ukraine, Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken pointed to official statements, first issued weeks ago, imploring U.S. citizens in the country to depart immediately.

He said: “For those who want to help Ukraine and help its people, there are many ways to do that, including by supporting and helping the many NGOs that are working to provide humanitarian assistance; providing resources themselves to groups that are trying to help Ukraine by being advocates for Ukraine and for peaceful resolution to this crisis that was created by Russia.”

That has not dissuaded a number of veterans who are all too familiar with the risks of combat.

James was a medic who first saw combat when he replaced another medic killed in fighting in Iraq in 2006. He did two more tours, in Iraq and Afghanistan, seeing so much blood and death that 10 years after leaving the military he still attends therapy at a veteran’s hospital.

But this week, as he watched Russian forces shell cities across Ukraine, he decided that he had to try to go there to help.

“Combat has a cost, that’s for sure; you think you can come back from war the same, but you can’t,” James said in a phone interview from his home in Dallas, where he said he was waiting to hear back from Ukrainian officials. “But I feel obligated. It’s the innocent people being attacked — the kids. It’s the kids, man. I just can’t stand by.”

Chase, a graduate student in Virginia, said that he volunteered to fight the Islamic State in Syria in 2019 and felt the same urgency for Ukraine, but he warned against simply going to the border without a plan.

In Syria, he said he knew well-meaning volunteers who were detained for weeks by local Kurdish authorities because they arrived unannounced. He arranged with Kurdish defense forces before arriving in Syria. There he spent months as a humble foot soldier with little pay and only basic rations.

Tactically, as an inexperienced grunt, he said, he was of little value. But to the people of northeastern Syria, he was a powerful symbol that the world was with them.

“I was a sign to them that the world was watching and they mattered,” he said.

A few months into his time in Syria, he was shot in the leg, and eventually returned to the United States. He came home and worked for a septic tank company, then got a job writing about used cars. When he saw explosions hitting Ukraine this week, the part of him that went to war three years ago reawakened.

“Everything here is just kind of empty and it doesn’t seem like I’m doing anything important,” he said in an interview from an extended-stay hotel in Virginia where he is living. “So I am trying to go. I don’t think I have a choice. You have to draw the line.”

https://dnyuz.com/2022/03/05/i-just-cant-stand-by-american-veterans-join-the-fight-in-ukraine/

1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by HitbackIIback: 5:56pm On Mar 05, 2022
Na all these kind of write up and talk make this Ukraine president make this huge mistake and deeply the man is regretting it. Don't encourage him again. Let him withdraw from this war and save his country

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by Nukilia: 6:02pm On Mar 05, 2022
HitbackIIback:
Na all these kind of write up and talk make this Ukraine president make this huge mistake and deeply the man is regretting it. Don't encourage him again. Let him withdraw from this war and save his country

You can say that again and again

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by Mikora: 6:02pm On Mar 05, 2022
Nonsense
Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by SarkinYarki: 6:04pm On Mar 05, 2022
Cannon fodder things

1 Like

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by Idumuje: 6:08pm On Mar 05, 2022
HitbackIIback:
Cowards everywhere! Let yo you all, the world should have surrendered and let Hitler roll over everyone, to ‘save their country’

This is why Nigeria will remain backward forever. Cowards everywhere!

40 Likes 8 Shares

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by IhateYouMan: 6:13pm On Mar 05, 2022
SarkinYarki:
Cannon fodder things

The only cannon fodder we are seeing are dead russian soldiers and their firewood ( tanks, jets, hellicopters etc ).

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by HitbackIIback: 6:14pm On Mar 05, 2022
Idumuje:

Cowards everywhere! Let yo you all, the world should have surrendered and let Hitler roll over everyone, to ‘save their country’

This is why Nigeria will remain backward forever. Cowards everywhere!

My brave brother no fight me go fight herdsmen, bandits or BH abi na kidnappers your strength dey for. Ukraine or Russia no my problem but just know that some fights are avoidable. Read in between the lines Ukraine president is regretting it big-time that's the truth. The West paint it like an instantaneous military support will be there but they have told him NATO no fit enter this box ring he openly express his disappointment... Am not a pro-Russia or Anti- Ukraine... Na d president body language I dey read no come fight me abeg

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by IhateYouMan: 6:14pm On Mar 05, 2022
HitbackIIback:

Why are you so angry that a sovereign nation is defending itself against an aggressor ? Is your IQ so low that you cannot understand why an independent country has the right to self-determination and self defence ?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by IhateYouMan: 6:15pm On Mar 05, 2022
HitbackIIback:

My brave brother no fight me go fight herdsmen, bandits or BH abi na kidnappers your strength dey for. Ukraine or Russia no my problem but just know that some fights are avoidable. Read in between the lines Ukraine president is regretting it big-time that's the truth. The West paint it like an instantaneous military support will be there but they have told him NATO no fit enter this box ring he openly express his disappointment... Am not a pro-Russia or Anti- Ukraine... Na d president body language I dey read no come fight me abeg

10 days and a major military world power is yet to capture a major city ? The Russian army is overrated.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by Lipscomb(m): 6:17pm On Mar 05, 2022
Let me know when that dude arrive in Ukraine soil.

1 Like

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by Nobody: 6:19pm On Mar 05, 2022
HitbackIIback:

Some of you here with this stupid mentality are unbearable. Is it Ukrainian president that invaded another country, or he is just defending his country from an invader? What do you mean by "withdrawing" from the war? How does someone defending his territory 'withdraw' from an aggressor?

Nonsense.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by HitbackIIback: 6:19pm On Mar 05, 2022
IhateYouMan:

10 days and a major military world power is yet to capture a major city ? The Russian army is overrated.
this pic says it all...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by SUPERPACK: 6:22pm On Mar 05, 2022
IhateYouMan:

Where do you stay in Ukraine? Because you speak like you are there with strong convictions.

6 Likes

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by HitbackIIback: 6:22pm On Mar 05, 2022
Hedonini:

Some of you here with this stupid mentality are unbearable. Is it Ukrainian president that invaded another country, or he is just defending his country from an invader? What do you mean by "withdrawing" from the war? How does someone defending his territory 'withdraw' from an aggressor?

Nonsense.
He would have sorted this out. He was hoping on getting help and help didn't show.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by doctokwus: 6:28pm On Mar 05, 2022
I posted an idea like just earlier today.
https://www.nairaland.com/7016009/russian-airforce-pilot-captured-ukraine#110774531
But instead of it strictly being privately driven I suggested NATO indirectly coordinator and sponsor groups with prior military experience to join the Ukrainians in this battle.
No one is safe from what this invasion may lead to if Putin is not stopped one way or the other.
Yes NATO doesn't want to confront Russia direct in combat,but what happens if for eg American or other NATO member citizens are killed in this conflict?
What happens if the pictures emerging everyday of civilian casualties and suffering continues unabated?
No one wants WW3 but this Putin invasion is now like the proverbial bone stuck in one's throat.
How do you bring it out without harming yourself and is it possible to bring out this big bone without inflicting some harm to one's self in order to save one's life ultimately?
This is for the Heads of government in the various European countries and the US to figure out and fast too.

1 Like

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by juman(m): 6:32pm On Mar 05, 2022
Fake news.

Any Nigerian that go and fight there is cursed.
It's fight between two racist countries.
They might use black among the soldiers to practise target.

1 Like

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by Igboland: 6:34pm On Mar 05, 2022
Even if NATO n USA combines to fight Russia now n in the future each time it happen Ukraine will be obliterated even if it as his own nuclear weapons. Ukraine is caught up btw 2 super power n only careful n meticulous planning of it military can safe. The country as not shown such plan from history, maybe after this war it will understand the danger n plan accordingly. Every living soul in Ukraine need to be a professional should before it can stand a chance against Russia n we all know how far off it is from that.

doctokwus:
I posted an idea like just earlier today.
https://www.nairaland.com/7016009/russian-airforce-pilot-captured-ukraine#110774531
But instead of it strictly being privately driven I suggested NATO indirectly coordinator and sponsor groups with prior military experience to join the Ukrainians in this battle.
No one is safe from what this invasion may lead to if Putin is not stopped one way or the other.

2 Likes

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by tamdun: 6:38pm On Mar 05, 2022
IhateYouMan:

It took US 40 days non stop bombing of Iraq before they captured sadam but Putin is trying not to destroy Ukraine completely because of the incoming president(Putin's puppet), if na all out war...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by SarkinYarki: 6:42pm On Mar 05, 2022
IhateYouMan:

The only cannon fodder we are seeing are dead russian soldiers and their firewood ( tanks, jets, hellicopters etc ).

Una don start this una CNN fables

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by SarkinYarki: 6:50pm On Mar 05, 2022
If ex Russian military join the fight Western Media will tag them Mercenaries but since it's ex American service men they tag them just veterans while in reality they are American Mercenaries

5 Likes

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by VEHINTOLAR: 7:01pm On Mar 05, 2022
They'll be sent back to United States in body bags !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by SeeThisLoser: 7:06pm On Mar 05, 2022
VEHINTOLAR:

Real men fighting for freedom unlike cowards in Africa cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by adekolaelect(m): 7:10pm On Mar 05, 2022
VEHINTOLAR:
so your are the friend of oppresor ? Your days are number.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by LikeAking: 7:21pm On Mar 05, 2022
HitbackIIback:

Make him fear him fellow man?

3 Likes

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by ObamaMessi: 7:26pm On Mar 05, 2022
juman:
Fake news.

Any Nigerian that go and fight there is cursed.
It's fight between two racist countries.
They might use black among the soldiers to practise target.
U are a very stupid thing.What is fake in that news? Do u think every information is as fake as ur birth? Putinists lack sense.

6 Likes

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by ObamaMessi: 7:31pm On Mar 05, 2022
SarkinYarki:

Una don start this una CNN fables
Get out u death putinist!

2 Likes

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by bola4dprec(m): 7:35pm On Mar 05, 2022
IhateYouMan:

Why are you so angry that a sovereign nation is defending itself against an aggressor ? Is your IQ so low that you cannot understand why an independent country has the right to self-determination and self defence ?

Ukraine has no border/ demarcation recognized by the rest of the world
Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by franchasng: 7:42pm On Mar 05, 2022
HitbackIIback:
How will he withdraw?

He has called Putin for dialogue, Putin shunned him. So you expect him and his entire government officials to resign and flee Ukraine so Putin can then come in elegantly to occupy and install his puppets as officials and rule Ukraine from proxy which is all Putin is fighting for; to change the current government and install his own choice.

Forget about any lies of joining NATO, that's not the reason Russia invaded Ukraine because already Ukraine is completely disqualified from joining NATO because a NATO charter stated that before a nation can join NATO, that nation must be at peace with all her neighbors.

Putin is a senseless leader cheered by foolish people trying to hate on America by supporting Putin's evil in Ukraine.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by toofit007: 7:45pm On Mar 05, 2022
IhateYouMan:

Russia government are avoiding civilians casualties and that is the fact. If it were to clear everything that stand on the way of the Russian military men, Ukraine would have been leveled by now. If you think Russia is a weak country in terms of military might, why has NATO refused to March in? Are you aware that Russia government ceased fire for couple of hours today so that civilians can be evacuated?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by RoyalBoutique(m): 7:50pm On Mar 05, 2022
HitbackIIback:

Ah swear.

grin
Re: American Military Veterans Flooding Into Ukraine To Fight Against Russia by franchasng: 7:50pm On Mar 05, 2022
toofit007:
Russia government are avoiding civilians casualties and that is the fact. If it were to clear everything that stand on the way of the Russian military men, Ukraine would have been leveled by now. If you think Russia is a weak country in terms of military might, why has NATO refused to March in? Are you aware that Russia government ceased fire for couple of hours today so that civilians can be evacuated?
Stop that nonsense. They are not avoiding any civilian casualties because they have been bombarding civilian apartments and have killed thousands of civilians.

Russia bombed a kindagarten school, bombed an orphanage home, bombed a pediatric hospital, so what civilian casualties are they avoiding?

They want to use their air raid advantage to level Ukrainian cities so they wont meet any land resistance when they come in. They are scared of coming in fully to avoid collasal damage and deaths of their soldiers which they have experienced and lost some key generals already.

I don't know why most Yoruba youths of today love supporting evil and injustice of man to fellow man, is this part of the negative effect of Islamic growth in Yoruba land? Na wa oh, i fear for the future of Yoruba land oh, hmmm.

Nigerian army invade Igbo community, burn houses and kill women and children, Yoruba youths will be the first to start celebrating it and encouraging Nigerian army to wipe them off that since they are supporting IPOB, but what happened to army confronting the armed guys attacking them and leaving civilians out of their madness?

Yoruba ronu oh

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bin Laden Shooter Reveals Terror Leader's Final Moments Before He Was Shot Dead / Us Grandmother Set To Be Executed / Herman Cain!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.