Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage (7411 Views)

Northern Farmers Cry Out As 50 Trucks Of Onions ROT after Embargo to South / Martins Idakpini: Lance Corporal Blasts Buratai Over Incessant Killings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by GreatAxeMan: 7:47pm On Mar 05, 2022
Some northern farmers have lamented continued attacks by terrorists, forcing them to abandon their farms.

According to them, if the attacks linger, food production would be affected and a food crisis may hit the country soon.

Isa Yakubu and Moshood Tsaku, both farmers in Kurgwi village, in Qua’an-Pan Local Government of Plateau States in separate interviews with Saturday PUNCH, said going to the farm had now become like going to war, as farmers were no longer certain of their security.

Yakubu said, “I am afraid of going to my farm. I have stopped my wives and younger children from joining me to farm, in case there is a cause for us to run.

“Before now, I used to go to the farm at 4am during the planting season, but now, I have to wait for the sun to come out before going out, for fear of attacks. One cannot be too careful.”

Similarly, Tsaku, who said he had once survived a terrorist’s attack on his farm, said he had developed cold feet towards farming.

“I was in Benue, working on my uncle’s farm when these men (attackers) came in and slaughtered farmers. My uncle and I escaped by the whiskers, but we lost a relative to the attack. I will not risk my life again as I am back in Kurgwi. I will stay in my house and manage whatever I get. I am not afraid of them, but I am just being careful as I am not one to go about daring trouble"

Another farmer in Benue, Shaibu Idah, “You know since 2019, it has been a serious issue here in Benue. The herdsmen, bandits and other criminals attack us every single day. I have injuries to show for this, so it is not a joke. I go to the farm with my own weapon and I am prepared for anything.

“But since we go to the farm late and come back early, we certainly will not produce as much as we would have.

“This planting season now, I should be looking at cultivating over five hectares of land for yam cultivation and a few more hectares for other crops, but as I speak to you, I am struggling to finish one. My workers have refused to even go to the farm with me. It is as if I am doing subsistence farming."

A Forbes report on Monday titled, ‘In Nigeria, Banditry has become a Major Threat to Food Security' ,noted that unprecedented rise in insecurity had displaced farming communities and hindered cultivation.

The report said, “At a national level, since July 2020, staples such as beans and tomatoes have seen a 253 per cent and 123 per cent surge in prices, respectively.

“In Borno State, previously the largest wheat-producing state in the country, producing 30 per cent of Nigeria’s wheat, the activities of insurgents popularly known as Boko Haram have stalled the cultivation of over 400 hectares of wheat in the area, as well as in other states in the northeast of the country.”

https://punchng.com/northern-farmers-lament-terrorist-attacks-fear-food-shortage/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1646497951

1 Like

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by GreatAxeMan: 7:48pm On Mar 05, 2022
Hmmm...
Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by DrGoodman: 7:49pm On Mar 05, 2022
Hmmmmm

Let's wait foe Northern Nairaland members to come and blame Kanu.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Totilopussylick(m): 7:53pm On Mar 05, 2022
Even as Ipob Bann importation of northern food into their region

I thought the terrorist will stop the attack on the northern farmers.

7 Likes

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by DrGoodman: 7:55pm On Mar 05, 2022
Totilopussylick:
Even as Ipob Bann importation of northern food into their region

I thought the terrorist will stop the attack on the northern farmers.

A double whammy against northerners, please pity their lives.

9 Likes

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Ecos(m): 8:06pm On Mar 05, 2022
grin Nnamdi KANU cause am. Una never see anything yet. Zooo

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by DrGoodman: 8:08pm On Mar 05, 2022
Ecos:
grin Nnamdi KANU cause am. Una never see anything yet. Zooo

No, it's ESN attacking their farmers grin

Zone bees are a pathetic lot.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Ecos(m): 8:21pm On Mar 05, 2022
DrGoodman:

No, it's ESN attacking their farmers grin

Zone bees are a pathetic lot.
Na thunder go dey fire them one by one

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Lastmankc(m): 8:29pm On Mar 05, 2022
North is a peaceful zone.So, you guys should stop spreading fake news

8 Likes

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by EyezofGod120: 9:14pm On Mar 05, 2022
grin una no get sense ,,I never asked any protest against the the killing in the north
Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by NwaNimo1(m): 9:14pm On Mar 05, 2022
[img]https://i./3OK0f.gif[/img]

A.nother

P.roblem

C.oming

7 Likes

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Rebuke: 9:14pm On Mar 05, 2022
Smh. We already have food shortage, let the government keep sleeping till the people will decide to feed on them.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Nobody: 9:15pm On Mar 05, 2022
Why dem dey complain?

Is buhari not their messiah again? grin

5 Likes

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Raxxye(m): 9:15pm On Mar 05, 2022
W
Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by merits(m): 9:15pm On Mar 05, 2022
How I wish this famine loading will affect bubu and his household.

1 Like

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by gambia(m): 9:16pm On Mar 05, 2022
No be today na grin grin

1 Like

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by candidbabe(f): 9:16pm On Mar 05, 2022
E don happen
Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Viraltrends123: 9:16pm On Mar 05, 2022
Lastmankc:
North is a peaceful zone.So, you guys should stop spreading fake news
South east is also peaceful, there is nothing like IPOB. IPOB lives in the dream

3 Likes

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by BrickDevo: 9:17pm On Mar 05, 2022
Nigeria no be country nah
Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by OBALOLA55(m): 9:18pm On Mar 05, 2022
Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 05, 2022
Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by amuwo1980: 9:18pm On Mar 05, 2022
And what food does the north produce ? Apart from the middle belt the rest of Nigerians don’t do much of staple food cultivation, most of your rice , wheat, sugar etc is imported, garri is from the south , where is this fabled north food production.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by tillaman(m): 9:19pm On Mar 05, 2022
shocked
Food shortage sef go follow join the mess wey dey ground already
It’s time to leave

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Gamezi(m): 9:19pm On Mar 05, 2022
Toor… we don kuku start to they chop ourselves before … na to go full rampant

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Amos1423(m): 9:19pm On Mar 05, 2022
No be just today dem say terrorism activities don reduce for naija?? Mtcheeeew!

1 Like

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by sotall(m): 9:19pm On Mar 05, 2022
And there was a thread on frontpage today saying terrorist attacks have reduced by over 50%?

This is an an example of the difference between propaganda and reality.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Farmers Lament Over Incessant Terrorist Attacks;Warn Of Food Shortage by Mulimv304: 9:19pm On Mar 05, 2022
D

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Keyamo: Buhari Won’t Make 2023 Election A Do-Or-Die Affair Like Obasanjo / Ogun Distributes Monitoring Vehicles To Improve Town Planning Activities / ECOWAS To Honour Buhari With Democracy Icon Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.