Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,619 members, 7,955,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:13 PM

Did I Survive Kano? A Former Kano State Corps Member Shares His Story! - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Did I Survive Kano? A Former Kano State Corps Member Shares His Story! (545 Views)

Deeper Life Church Member Shares Photo Of Corps Member Wearing Khaki Skirt / Paiko Camp: Niger State Corps Members, Let's Meet Here.. / Whatsapp Group Chat For Rivers State Corps Members Batch B (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Did I Survive Kano? A Former Kano State Corps Member Shares His Story! by sammyscholar(m): 5:38pm On Mar 06, 2022
© Sam Tayo

When I was posted to Kano State for my National Youth Service, many friends, and family members implored me to apply for redeployment because of the perceived hostility and distance between Lagos and Kano. Incidentally, I fell sick on the way to Kano and I was hospitalized as soon as I arrived at the NYSC camp at Kusala Dam, Karaye!

"I cannot survive here, " I said to myself. The weather and my body chemistry would not just form a bond!

"How do people manage to live in this state of atmosphere!" I wondered.

I saw a woman. She was one of the NYSC camp officials. She was light-skinned and extraordinarily beautiful! "This gorgeous woman is doing fine under this weather, why is mine different?" I kept asking.

After being treated for more than three days, my health condition didn't improve. A decision was made to refer me to a General hospital in Kano town. That means I would not continue with the batch, and I 'might' have to pay for my healthcare once referred. I did not plan for all this! Because, ba kudi, walahi!

Those youth corps doctors, pharm(s), and nurses tried their best. I would never forget their CMD, a medical graduate from UCH, Ibadan. His leadership skill is out of this world. He coordinated the clinic so well. He has empathy, too. We particularly took a liking to ourselves because our tertiary institutions are situated in the same city -- Ibadan. I attended The Polytechnic, Ibadan. God bless you wherever you are now, my young doctor! I trust you are doing well in the medical field now!

The night before the day I was to be referred, I decided not to lie in bed. I sat in the reception of the clinic, looking at healthcare givers as they went about their activities. Long into the night, I began to gather strength. I could now stand and walk, although my symptoms remained.

The following day, my health condition had improved but was not yet perfect to go through camp drills. I felt I would be fine if I leave the region to another I'm used to -- the South West. I went to the redeployment center. I met many corps members who equally wanted to redeploy. There, I found that redeploying, even for something as cogent as health challenges, is not as easy as ABC! The longer I stayed in that office, the more I saw my health deteriorate, again! "Oya, I'm not redeploying any longer," I concluded. I went back to the hostel -- to face life in Kano State, squarely!

But looking back today, my stay in Kano, and my tour all around the North, left me with some of the best memories of my life. I will never forget corper Julian. He convinced us to sample every Northern food. He called it one of the adventures of life! What of Osinachi? he was my roommate and cooking partner. The way we bonded and pull resources together to run the house, even when we barely knew each other before, proved to me that Nigeria still has hope of harmonizing if we all work together - the West, South, North, and East!

I must mention Chibuoyim, a strong youth corps member who organized a state-wide Spelling Bee for Secondary School students across the 44 local governments of Kano State as his personal CDS project. The day he shared his dream about the project with me was the day he heard me use a certain word I cannot remember as I write this piece. I perceived he loved my use of words. He felt I would be a good member of the panel of judges for his envisioned Spelling Bee competition and he asked me to join his team. I agreed.

Organizing the Spelling Bee brought us before those who matter in the education administration of Kano State. That state is blessed with great, seasoned academics, walahi!

Clarita is another great lady I would not forget. She organized Adult Education for our daddies, mummies, uncles, and aunts in the Garko community. Her idea was that if the adults, most of whom are farmers and merchants, could speak and write better, their ability to trade and earn would increase. "Guys, this adult education would equip less educated people in the community with the ability to communicate and deal with customers within and outside their locality," Clarita assured. I was one of her team members and the experience was beautiful!

I would not forget Alice, too. She always ensured we did not go hungry at any time. Her cereals and beverages were always readily available to kill our famishment. She would not raise eyebrows even when you plunder her food store. She will only look at you and give a faint smile. Kai, Inyangor, as we fondly call her in the lodge, is gentle!

NCCF and rural rugged are other awesome experiences. The confluence of youths thirsting and seeking the face of the Lord ensured our spiritual life didn't suffer.

I did not just survive Kano, I enjoyed it!

I trust God to give us solution to the menace of banditry and terrorism bedeviling this beautiful region. Our fathers told us stories of how the Northern states used to be welcoming and peaceful. We need those loving, peaceful days back!

I survived Kano!

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Basic Microsoft Excel Training / Sultan Seeks Safety Of Corps Members / Freelance Blogger Job For Lagos Mainland Serving Corpers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.