Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,353 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? (2037 Views)

A 70-year-old Man Is Madly In Love And Obsessed With Me. / I Think My Husband Is Obsessed With Football / Why Are Nigerians So Judgemental? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by czarr(m): 8:05pm On Mar 07, 2022
Everytime... marriage, marriage.
Every day the same talk, for people this obsessed with marriage you'd think we have the best marriages in the world.

Meanwhile we rank top in paternity fraud, and infidelity.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Goldbw122(m): 8:08pm On Mar 07, 2022
Nor be only you wan they face the problem bro... Well you just have to be discipled or else they will be the one to laugh you at last without supporting you, that is how life is oo..

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by SeaTrade(m): 8:09pm On Mar 07, 2022
Nigerian ladies are the ones obsessed with it,I wonder why.
No guy in my circle talks about it sef and most of them can afford to,men just looking for ways to expand their reach on a daily.
But for the ladies,it's a whole different ball game.
Everytime you need to marry ,it will help your fortune,two heads are better than one,you need a partner bla bla bla,
Your head is so bright and you are such a fortune giver,yet you are always looking for who to run to his house and hold leverage on in the name of marriage,
Use that your support and good fortune to build yourself first,then we can talk.
Story.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by The5DME(m): 8:10pm On Mar 07, 2022
I think marriage is pretty much overrated.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by helinues: 8:11pm On Mar 07, 2022
You could have first asked why are they obsessed with relationship..

Hardly some people can go 6 months without being in a relationship which eventually na as usual story go end am.

Marriage or relationship is not for everyone.

The moment guys have chickening change like this, they can no longer do house chores by themselves hence the need to marry even when they are not psychologically and emotionally ready while the ladies want to excape from the reality of life by hiding under marriage, even if na to be a maid in the marriage, so many ladies have let go of their career, future dreams all in the name of marriage.

The society are not helping at all . They put unnecessary pressure on singles from 30+ even though they are not ready to bear the marriage finances palava

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:12pm On Mar 07, 2022
its in the culture..... marriage in Nigeria means HAPPINESS (whether you are actually happy or not). you are sold that pipe dream of marriage from childhood ..... parents are looking forward to sell off their daughters for bride price; husband is looking forward to finally having FREE unrestricted access to toto; wifey celebrates because now she can relax as someone is about to take care of her needs forever; neighbors are celebrating because dem go get free food to chop;

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by helinues: 8:13pm On Mar 07, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
its in the culture..... marriage in Nigeria means HAPPINESS (whether you are actually happy or not).

To some extent...To some people
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by czarr(m): 8:15pm On Mar 07, 2022
SeaTrade:
No guy in my circle talks about it sef and most of them can afford to,men just looking for ways to expand their reach on a daily.
Everytime you need to marry ,it will help your fortune,two heads are better than one,you need a partner bla bla bla,
Your head is so bright and you are such a fortune giver,yet you are always looking for who to run to his house and hold leverage on in the name of marriage,
Use that your support and good fortune to build yourself first,then we can talk.
Story.
How do you like your beer, chilled or very chilled?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by czarr(m): 8:16pm On Mar 07, 2022
helinues:
You could have first asked why are the obsessed with relationship..

Hardly some people can go 6 months without being in a relationship which eventually na as usual story go end.

The moment guys have chickening change like this, they can no longer do house chores by themselves hence need to marry while the ladies want to excaape from the reality of life by hiding under marriage, even if na to be a maid in the marriage, so many ladies have let go of their career, future dreams all in the name of marriage.

The society are not helping at all . They put unnecessary pressure on singles from 30+ even though they are not ready to bear the marriage finances palava
My broda the pressure eh....if e set for the marriage every body go free style you make you carry your cross.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by helinues: 8:18pm On Mar 07, 2022
czarr:
My broda the pressure eh....if e set for the marriage every body go free style you make you carry your cross.

See hypocrisy of people, Dem go dey ask you when are you going to marry, use themselves as an example with how many kids they had already.

But at the end of the conversation, this same people would still open their mouth gbau to ask for financial assistance all in the name of their children school fee.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by SeaTrade(m): 8:30pm On Mar 07, 2022
czarr:
How do you like your beer, chilled or very chilled?
None for the night bro,
Just starting off with these starters before I jump on the macallan12.
Wish you could join me,
Cheers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by SeaTrade(m): 8:37pm On Mar 07, 2022
helinues:
You could have first asked why are they obsessed with relationship..

Hardly some people can go 6 months without being in a relationship which eventually na as usual story go end am.

The moment guys have chickening change like this, they can no longer do house chores by themselves hence the need to marry even when they are not psychologically and emotionally ready while the ladies want to excape from the reality of life by hiding under marriage, even if na to be a maid in the marriage, so many ladies have let go of their career, future dreams all in the name of marriage.

No woman that's untop of her career that'll quit it for marriage,none!
It's those ones that don't fully grab what they're doing in their respective fields that are ever ready to quit it for marriage.
Have this lady friend of mine,doing so well in finance.
Her husband is a great guy who has built something really great out of life,
He keeps pressuring her to quit because she always complain of stress to him from work which the guy hates.
But how can she after putting in all those years to get to where she is?
But all these ones doing nothing significant,before you ask them don quit to become full blown liability.Tueh.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Boogyman557: 8:39pm On Mar 07, 2022
Holly Gram cool

ME I no de REASON dat matterz at all..

D ONLY matterz wey FIT make me REASON dat marriage matterz, Na ONLY bcus of PIKIN..

IF Na PIKIN b d matterz Na to FIND baby MAMA...

I been de REASON to JAZZ in ASHAWOO house dis night but I don too BLA enough WEED..

IF u SEE my EYES NOW, E b like PESIN wey SLEEP de catch...

I JUST de manage OPEN am...

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by czarr(m): 8:41pm On Mar 07, 2022
SeaTrade:
None for the night bro,
Just starting off with these starters before I jump on the macallan12.
Wish you could join me,
Cheers.
maaaad!!!!
Enjoy broda

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Ever8090: 8:59pm On Mar 07, 2022
If to say your Papa no marry your mama, them for born you?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Animegirl(f): 9:13pm On Mar 07, 2022
SeaTrade:
Story.

Lol.... See who is talking. Nigerian men are more obsessed with marriage. I can't even enjoy WhatsApp conversations without men asking me to be their woman. 28yr old guys are the ones disturbing my life. Like, why the rush?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by 184thrrrrrr: 11:58pm On Mar 07, 2022
[s]
helinues:

To some extent...To some people
[/s]
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by 184thrrrrrr: 11:58pm On Mar 07, 2022
[s]
helinues:

See hypocrisy of people, Dem go dey ask you when are you going to marry, use themselves as an example with how many kids they had already.

But at the end of the conversation, this same people would still open their mouth gbau to ask for financial assistance all in the name of their children school fee.
[/s]
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by czarr(m): 1:30am On Mar 08, 2022
Animegirl:

Lol.... See who is talking. Nigerian men are more obsessed with marriage. I can't even enjoy WhatsApp conversations without men asking me to be their woman. 28yr old guys are the ones disturbing my life. Like, why the rush?
They just want to smash it's sex they want not marriage

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by GOFRONT(m): 2:23am On Mar 08, 2022
Hmmmm........Marriage, the greatest Laurel of a woman.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Ebonygeek(f): 3:50am On Mar 08, 2022
GOFRONT:
Hmmmm........Marriage, the greatest Laurel of a woman.
Who has made it so? When men marriage-shame, age-shame, and slut-shame single women on a daily basis, why won't they take marriage so seriously? It sickens me to hear men ridicule women because they care about getting married, then go to a different thread to mock the unmarried ones. Like how stupid and immature can a person get? undecided

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Karleb(m): 6:17pm On Mar 08, 2022
So, I went to a church last week Sunday. I met a newly married bro who said his wife just got a good job.

But for the four years of their courtship, the lady never had a job that payed more than 30k.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by crackhaus: 9:37pm On Mar 08, 2022
Animegirl:

Is it "marriage" they want from you or what's between your legs?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Gerrard59(m): 5:27am On Mar 09, 2022
SeaTrade:
Story.

So as to avoid being labelled as "evening newspapers" by Ndi alfa meils.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Gerrard59(m): 5:35am On Mar 09, 2022
Ever8090:
If to say your Papa no marry your mama, them for born you?

Then, he would not be birthed and won't know if the world existed. That rationale does not make sense as a person yet to be born does not know anything. It is not like he was born and died afterwards, he wasn't present at all (the same applies to even a five-year-old who died).

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Gerrard59(m): 5:38am On Mar 09, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
its in the culture..... marriage in Nigeria means HAPPINESS (whether you are actually happy or not). you are sold that pipe dream of marriage from childhood ..... parents are looking forward to sell off their daughters for bride price; husband is looking forward to finally having FREE unrestricted access to toto; wifey celebrates because now she can relax as someone is about to take care of her needs forever; neighbors are celebrating because dem go get free food to chop;

To add to this, religion, when combined with culture makes it a societal thing. The average Nigerian is conservative and looks forward to marriage, so it should not be surprising that Nigerians are obsessed with it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Gerrard59(m): 5:43am On Mar 09, 2022
Ebonygeek:

Who has made it so? When men marriage-shame, age-shame, and slut-shame single women on a daily basis, why won't they take marriage so seriously? It sickens me to hear men ridicule women because they care about getting married, then go to a different thread to mock the unmarried ones. Like how stupid and immature can a person get? undecided

That is the A - Z of Alfa Meils.

Lampoon women for being overly interested in marriage then criticise them when they (women) remain single as 30+. Cognitive dissonance is the cause of their mental instability. I am not surprised as they are largely unemployed, poor, miserable, poorly educated and exposed people.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by emmaodet: 6:09am On Mar 09, 2022
SeaTrade:
Story.

Hmmmmmmmm
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by cococandy(f): 8:46am On Mar 09, 2022
SeaTrade:
Story.

But you also think women over 30 aren’t marriage material. So why are you upset they want to marry quickly?
You’ve never in any of your posts had anything positive to say about women wanting to marry after 30 years of age. But here you are mocking those who want to marry early.

Is there anything women can actually do right?

And yours is just one tiny example . Most guys here will say negative things about marrying “older women” thereby helping to perpetuate a culture of mockery towards single women. Only to jump on another thread and wonder why the women are so interested in marriage. Is it a deliberate attempt to make sure that no woman no matter what conditions she finds herself in will always feel inadequate? Isn’t that what this whole ish is about?

21 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Farfalla(f): 9:07am On Mar 09, 2022
SeaTrade:

Are Nigerian ladies the ones who make comments such as, "Go and marry" whenever they see a picture of Genevieve Nnaji?

Are they the ones shouting Shiloh and menopause up and down?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Obsessed With Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 9:18am On Mar 09, 2022
Are you trying to sound "woke" or what?

Worldwide, people are obsessed with different things. Americans are obsessed with credit card. In the UK, people are obsessed with America. Indians are obsessed with friends and family. The Chinese are obsessed with sea foods and the West.

Bottom line is that we all are humans with feelings, emotions, and desires. To say that it's wrong for people to desire marriage is not another form of "wokeness" but stupid!ty.

It is better to be obsessed with marriage, food, friends, family, than corruption and bribe. If you're genuinely concerned about people's obsession, you will worry about the rate of crime and ritual and find ways to preserve your head and private parts.

14 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

BUSTED: Pastor Patronizes Prostitute And He Didn't Know She Attends His Church / How To Protect Your Child From Sexual Abuse / When she Have Pin Code To Block Her Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.