Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,573 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi (475 Views)

Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi / EFCC V Stella Oduah: Justice Ekwo Suspends Trial Over Threat To Life / Umahi's Sack: President Buhari In Close Door Meeting With Umahi (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi by polycarp65: 11:01pm On Mar 08, 2022
Ebonyi State Governor, Engr David Umahi, says the judgment sacking him and his deputy over defection to the All Progressives Congress Party, APC, by Justice Inyang Ekwo in Abuja high Court  is null and void, lacking constitutional powers to sack him.

It would be recalled that a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Tuesday, sacked the Governor and his Deputy for defecting to the All Progressives Congress Party, APC, while serving a mandate given to the People's Democratic Party, PDP in the State.

"I am still the Governor of Ebonyi State and he has no powers to remove me," Umahi said.

"I have listened to the judgment of Ekwo and it's very obvious that he was on a mission,

"He was making all efforts to upturned the rulling of the supreme and appeal court on issues like this."

Umahi's reaction comes hours after the judgment, and said in a press conference in Abakaliki that there is no constitutional provision to remove him, saying "there are three ways whereby a Governor can vacate his seat, is either by death, resignation or impeachment by the house of Assembly."

He said there's already a judgement of a high court in Abakaliki in his favor, and another one in  Zamfara state, which has ruled that a Governor and his Deputy cannot be sacked from office on account of defection to another political party

Umahi, alleged that the judgment was influenced to embarrass the All Progressives Congress Party, APC, as well as the Federal Government of Nigeria, noting the presiding judge has been purchased and described the situation as a trouble to the judiciary and the Nation.

"I feel sorry for the judiciary, the executives and legislatures may have problem but the moment justice is purchased, then we are in trouble in this country and the rulling this afternoon is a clear evidence that this country is in trouble,

"Let me say to the Nation, that there is a need to look at the integrity of our judiciary because if they begin to rule against constitutional matters that are well laid down, then the citizens of this country may decide not to obey such jungle justice." Umahi said.

Re: Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi by chatinent: 11:06pm On Mar 08, 2022
Well...
Re: Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi by RahmanJAobo: 11:08pm On Mar 08, 2022
Na English you dey speak
Re: Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi by ERockson: 11:11pm On Mar 08, 2022
Mumu man. You are in trouble not the judiciary
Re: Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi by SadiqBabaSani: 11:11pm On Mar 08, 2022
Politics has played you
Re: Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi by kingsways: 11:20pm On Mar 08, 2022
He's right, the judgement is of no effect. A High Court cannot overrule another High Court
Re: Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi by Nobody: 3:48am On Mar 09, 2022
Good that you were removed, now you can go and continue your servitude in Kano state, onye ara.

(1) (Reply)

Anambra State Government Marks Odumeje's Church For Demolition / What Happened To Funso Williams Must Not Happen To Osinbajo / NYSC anthem composer dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.