Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,014 members, 7,810,808 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi (19668 Views)

Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi / ‘This May Be Your Last Fight, If You Try Me’ – Umahi Warns Anyim, Ex- Gov Egwu / I Never Insulted Buhari, So I Would Not Allow APC To Insult Me - Umahi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Ofunaofu: 6:40am On Mar 09
The Federal Government has said there would be no more project variation after mobilisation fee has been paid on a project.

Minister of Works, Engr. Dave Umahi who disclosed this in Lagos, said many contractors were fighting him over project variation, declaring that the policy of the federal government is that there would be no more project variation after a mobilisation fee has been paid.

Speaking with newsmen in Lagos when he inspected some road projects including the ongoing rehabilitation of the Third Mainland Bridge, Umahi said contractors cannot dictate to the government.

The Minister and his team including the Lagos Controller of Works, Mrs. Olukorede Kesha, and other officials of the Ministry also visited the under-deck of the bridges in Lagos.

Umahi also handed over the construction of the 700 km Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road to the contractor, signalling the commencement of work.

Daily Trust reports that the inflationary pressures have pushed up the cost of construction materials prompting some contractors to demand project variation.

But the Minister said while the government recognises that there has been a spike in the price of construction materials, a contractor is not entitled to project variation after mobilisation fee has been paid.

He said, “As a matter of our policy, if we give you a project and you delay it and you have our money in your hand and you delay it, we would not pay you variation for the level of your delay.

“We cannot continue to vary our projects on a daily basis. So we have a mechanism which is called variation of price and so if at the time of award of a project the basic prices are already higher than your basic prices, you are entitled to our review but otherwise our policy is that if we give you mobilisation, you would not enjoy variation of prices within the limit of the amount of mobilisation we have given to you.

“Some contractors are fighting me but I must do what is right for Nigerians and our position is that if you are a contractor, you can’t give us conditions, you can’t dictate to us. If you don’t like our conditions, you leave it.

“Let me also make it very clear that as a matter of policy, we are also encouraging indigenous contractors and we would work with them to also come up so that they can compete, especially on our concrete road projects.

On the Third Mainland Bridge project, Umahi stated that the under-deck and the surface of the bridge would be fitted with a close circuit television (CCTV).

He also disclosed that the President has approved funds for the completion of Eko Bridge also in Lagos, saying the government would replicate the work being carried out on Third Mainland Bridge on Eko Bridge.

He said, “Eko Bridge, a lot of rehabilitation is ongoing. I want to let people know that Mr. President has already approved funds for the completion of Eko Bridge. It is a total of 11 kilometers and I will also look at additional works that would be done for the project to look like the Third Mainland Bridge we are working on which Lagosians and indeed all Nigerians are very happy about.

“Now we are also going to look at the Third Mainland Bridge resurfacing again. We are bringing solar light there. We want to look at CCTV there and then CCTV would be on top of the deck and also under the water so as to check illegal mining of sands which is giving us problems.”

https://dailytrust.com/why-contractors-are-fighting-me-umahi/#google_vignette

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Lumarstone: 6:53am On Mar 09
UMAIH did well as Ebonyi State governor in the areas of road construction and many other infrastructure, But he treated workers badly and was a small god.

If he tries to show wickedness to the federal contractors, the contractors will slug it out with him because federal government is not Ebonyi State where he pocketed for eight good years.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Seyi8750: 7:10am On Mar 09
Like for Umahi share for contractor

Y’all need to be BATified
What a CORNtry

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Donchieli: 7:10am On Mar 09
Talk tru
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Franchise21(m): 7:11am On Mar 09
OK

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Zico5(m): 7:11am On Mar 09
That's Nigeria for you. We believe nothing goes for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by dydx2020(m): 7:11am On Mar 09
Good

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Blackfire(m): 7:12am On Mar 09
In summary

All bribes goes to you

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by AmakaTips2: 7:12am On Mar 09
Are you sure that's all?

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by malali: 7:13am On Mar 09
Action Minister.

Your position requires being tough.
Whatever you need to do, within law
Please do it, Contractors should keep to deadline.
Government lawyers and EFCC, should be keeping those contractors in check
So that you can focus on doing more for the country.

Nigerians are proud of your work.

19 Likes

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by MVLOX(m): 7:13am On Mar 09
Oga fight them more

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Urgent1Million: 7:13am On Mar 09
Lumarstone:
UMAIH did well as Ebonyi State governor in the areas of road construction and many other infrastructure, But he treated workers badly and was a small god.

If he tries to show wickedness to the federal contractors, the contractors will slug it out with him because federal government is not Ebonyi State where he pocketed for eight good years.

If you understand what contractors do to get project variation, you'll encourage Umahi to continue in this path that many will see as aggressive.
Contactors collect mobilisation running into hundreds of millions and put the money in different investments without commencing work. After sometime, they'll come back and say that prices of materials have gone up and begin to fight for project variation.
Umahi understands their way that's why he's warning them before hand.
As soon as mobilisation is released for a project, the contractor should commence work immediately.

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by jacoik(m): 7:14am On Mar 09
Na only this man and minister for interior be d only minister wey get head for dis government

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by kuntash: 7:14am On Mar 09
I wonder how many times Tunji Ojo complains like this. That interior minister gets his job done and effects felt in less than a year .

Umahi should focus and stop all these many complaints . Is he not sn APC person ..?
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by villagereporter(m): 7:15am On Mar 09
Then fight them back.

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by EnglishUsa: 7:15am On Mar 09
Dave, Oti, soludo, are all positioning themselves as the next vice president of Nigeria that is exactly what they are looking up to and some may context for other positions... May God help them all

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Tradepunter2: 7:16am On Mar 09
Ok
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by michlins(m): 7:16am On Mar 09
Lumarstone:

how did you think he delivered in Ebonyi State?

If he allows contractors to have their way, he won't be able to deliver

16 Likes

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Judolisco(m): 7:18am On Mar 09
Oga due your job... Nobody dey fight u
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by twilliamx(m): 7:18am On Mar 09
I like this man

3 Likes

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Anguldi(m): 7:19am On Mar 09
tongue
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Mccullum: 7:19am On Mar 09
Wishing him success..

Work for the benefit of Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by forayfleo(m): 7:20am On Mar 09
We pray for success in all

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by money121(m): 7:20am On Mar 09
Ok
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by hardknocksng(m): 7:20am On Mar 09
Media man. He likes media like the way slay queens like ticktock
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by bigdammyj: 7:21am On Mar 09
Reading…
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Anguldi(m): 7:21am On Mar 09
Lumarstone:

Nigeria leadership ain't for the weak, you need to talk tough. The system has been abused, this will take care of people selling contracts.

5 Likes

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Maxcollins042(m): 7:23am On Mar 09
Lumarstone:

I don't see any wickedness in this new FG policy. You paid someone upfront to render a service to you and they delayed until prices of the resources they will use in offering the service went up. They now came back to you to demand for fee variation.

How does this make sense? Would you be willing to pay for their shortcoming?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by naija4life247: 7:24am On Mar 09
Okay nah
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by naija4life247: 7:26am On Mar 09
EnglishUsa:
Dave, Oti, soludo, are all positioning themselves as the next vice president of Nigeria that is exactly what they are looking up to and some may context for other positions... May God help them all

That's the highest a South Easterner will ever get in Nigeria. 2031 is for Shettima the Kanuri Wonder Boy, if Igbos play Politics without bitterness, they will get the VP position. But if they continue in their hatred and bitterness, then Nyezom Wike the Port Harcourt Magician will snatch the VP from them.

2027 is a done deal already. We have that in our pockets. We are BATified

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by AMAUCHESKY(m): 7:29am On Mar 09
Story
Strong Addiction required strategic steps to overcome because is like a virus in the blood..
Contact me via my signature for help

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Picture Of APGA Campain Poster Carrying Photo Of GEJ. / Nigeria Closes Land & Sea Borders For Upcoming Elections / Youths Hold Thanksgiving Rally For President Buhari In Daura, Kastina (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.