Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,241 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC (20547 Views)

Court Documents Reveal GEJ Filed Charges Against Tinubu In 2011 For Forgery / Umahi's Sack: President Buhari In Close Door Meeting With Umahi (Photos) / FBI Indictment Of Abba Kyari, Hushpuppi (US Court Documents) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:07am On Mar 09, 2022
“The Commission will meet and take a decision when it is served with a Certified True Copy of the judgement.”

The Independent National Electoral Commission has said it would take action against ousted-Ebonyi state governor David Umahi when it receives documents from the ruling court.

On Tuesday, Mr Umahi was removed as state governor by the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The court said Mr Umahi had forfeited his governorship when he defected from the PDP to join the ruling All Progressives Congress last year.

“The Commission has not been served with a copy of the said judgement. The Commission will meet and take a decision when it is served with a Certified True Copy of the judgement,” Mr Okoye said to Peoples Gazette when reached for clarification.

Justice Inyang Ekwo ordered the electoral body to stop recognising Mr Umahi and his deputy and that the Peoples Democratic Party send names to INEC to replace the governor and deputy.

The new development comes hours after the opposition PDP urged INEC to issue certificates of return to Iduma Igariwey and Fred Udogwu as the new governor and deputy for Ebonyi.

The party said the electoral office should confirm to serve as deputy governor forthwith, according to a short statement released by its media department on Tuesday afternoon.

The Gazette reported earlier that Mr Umahi has not revealed any plans to appeal the judgement, only vowing to defy the ruling and remain in office until next year when his tenure elapses.

https://gazettengr.com/gov-umahis-sack-were-waiting-for-court-documents-inec-says/

9 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by Flexherbal(m): 6:14am On Mar 09, 2022
Okay
Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by omenkaLives(m): 6:19am On Mar 09, 2022
But we know this judgement can never be executed. We're in the third month of 2022 already, and by the time the appeal court might be preparing its judgement, we could be talking about a handover to another elected governor in 2023.

The judgement is what it is- a mere pronouncement. Its only utility I see is it making it alot more difficult for incumbents to change parties at will.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by Lawlab254: 6:21am On Mar 09, 2022
Ok
Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by MadamVanessa(f): 6:23am On Mar 09, 2022
shocked

Umahi to vacate the seat? grin

This is not western world o, this is zoo o

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by kingphilip(m): 6:23am On Mar 09, 2022
I have always been against the idea of carpet crossing because in the real sense, it doesn't make any sense to do so.

Both APC and PDP have different idealogies and what's the essence of you carpet crossing? Is it that you've changed idea or what?

But this is Nigeria sha, even when they do not carpetcross if they find a common ground to loot the country dry, they'll unite even across partylines to do so.

I hope the judgement stands so that the useless carpetcrossing can go to hell.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by WebWriter: 6:24am On Mar 09, 2022
Hmmm ok

Contact me for content writing on a professional level

2 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by CryptoTeacher(m): 6:25am On Mar 09, 2022
The governor should be preparing an appeal urgently and not chest beating and granting unnecessary interviews. This shit is about to hit the ceiling for him.

13 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by 3coins(m): 6:25am On Mar 09, 2022
When we vote, do we vote for the party or the individual? I don’t understand

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by Nobody: 6:25am On Mar 09, 2022
J
Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by stixxy(m): 6:26am On Mar 09, 2022
E choke Umahi. Him no calculate well

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by ruggedtimi(m): 6:26am On Mar 09, 2022
But amaechi did same..so many other governor's and senators are doing it
Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by Mumusaphire: 6:26am On Mar 09, 2022
Always waiting till he appeal.
Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by RomanGreen: 6:26am On Mar 09, 2022
Umahi will be like "which kind wahala be this since I joined APC" ? grin

17 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by kingphilip(m): 6:26am On Mar 09, 2022
omenkaLives:
But we know this judgement can never be executed. We're in the third month of 2022 already, and by the time the appeal court might be preparing its judgement, we could be talking about a handover to another elected governor in 2023.

The judgement is what it is- a mere pronouncement. It's only utility I see is it making it alot more difficult for incumbents to change parties at will.
Just like what it is, as soon as INEC gets the CTC, they'll issue a certificate of return to the name submitted by PDP.

If or when the appeal court nullifies the judgement, INEC can always revert.

So the issue of waiting for Appeal court or supreme court decision doesn't hold here.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by potent5(m): 6:27am On Mar 09, 2022
Well, Umahi and other defecting politicians who sell their people's mandate deserve worse.
Whatever happens at the end of the day may not matter, whether the judgment is upturned on appeal or not.
The only thing that will matter is that elected public office holders will think twice before shamelessly defecting from the party on whose platform they are elected.

43 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by BeardGangJnr1(m): 6:27am On Mar 09, 2022
This judge is null and void. in general elections, we vote for individuals not Parties.
That's the small I know... anyone can enlighten me More

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by Devil1Messenger: 6:28am On Mar 09, 2022
3coins:
Its party.
U won't see individuals faces on the ballot, rather party logos

48 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by coolfredo(m): 6:28am On Mar 09, 2022
3coins:
. The individual u voted for was under which platform?

10 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by Afonjacoward: 6:29am On Mar 09, 2022

The judgement is what it is- a mere pronouncement. It's only utility I see is it making it alot more difficult for incumbents to change parties at will.[/quote]
You know nothing then.
Once INEC receives the said true copy of the judgement they will issue certificate of return to the names already forwarded to it by the PDP.
Is now left for Umahi to file for appeal and while he is on it a new government must have been sworn in already.

11 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by anigbajumo(m): 6:30am On Mar 09, 2022
kingphilip:

Just like what it is, as soon as INEC gets the CTC, they'll issue a certificate of return to the name submitted by PDP.

So the issue of waiting for Appeal court or supreme court decision doesn't hold here.

Be expecting stay of execution any moment from now.

6 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by tspun(m): 6:31am On Mar 09, 2022
No na, they should allow him complete all those numerus project at hand first. Before they turn to abandoned project. Most especially the the international airport and the stadium

4 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by Tareq1105: 6:32am On Mar 09, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

Umahi to vacate the seat? grin

This is not western world o, this is zoo o

Even the judgement doesn't have any legal basis and that's an indication that it will be crushed at the Appeal.

There's no section of either the Nigeria constitution or Electoral Act to back the judgement. So it's just an unfounded pronouncement that cannot stand the test of time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by Dannycypher(m): 6:32am On Mar 09, 2022
Nice development please Inec should respect court judgement.
Let political cross carpeting Stop.

5 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by ordainbuzz(m): 6:32am On Mar 09, 2022
I can bet my balls, umahi did not sleep well,last night.he's now a scape goat.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by potent5(m): 6:33am On Mar 09, 2022
You don't sound like you want to be enlightened, because you have already concluded that the judgement is null and void.

Anyways, in Nigeria we vote for the party sponsoring a candidate and the victory of a candidate is that of the party sponsoring him. That was why people like Rotimi Amaechi became governor without contesting in the election.
BeardGangJnr1:
This judge is null and void. in general elections, we vote for individuals not Parties.

16 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by kingphilip(m): 6:33am On Mar 09, 2022
3coins:
If you've voted before, you'd notice that it isn't individual's name that's on the ballot but the party's name.

In Nigeria, it is the party not individual.

14 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by kingphilip(m): 6:34am On Mar 09, 2022
Tareq1105:

Even the judgement doesn't have any legal basis and that's an indication that it will be crushed at the Appeal.

There's no section of either the Nigeria constitution or Electoral Act to back the judgement. So it's just an unfounded pronouncement that cannot stand the test of time.
The same for Hope Uzodinma too.

If not that it was the supreme court, an appeal would have quashed it

2 Likes

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by frugal(m): 6:34am On Mar 09, 2022
kingphilip:

There would be a stay of execution pending appeal hearing. It would go all the way to supreme court. Lots of time wasting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umahi's Sack: We're Waiting For Court Documents To Take Actions - INEC by nwakibie3(m): 6:35am On Mar 09, 2022
BeardGangJnr1:

Is it political party or name of individual that appears on ballot paper? Oga it's the political party you vote for not individual.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Igbo Contribute Immensely To Lagos Prosperity — Jandor / PHOTO: Nigerians In Diaspora Joins #objwhereisthepower Trend / Payment Of N1000 Development Levy By Kaduna Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.