Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,440 members, 7,846,803 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 12:46 AM

Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling (21106 Views)

Appeal Court Dismisses Suit Against Umahi, deputy / Defection: Why Umahi, Deputy May Lose At Appeal Court — Sagay / Court Sack Of Umahi, Deputy, Lawmakers In Order — Lawyers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by onadana: 2:02pm On Mar 09, 2022
Maxymilliano:
Thought he said no court can remove him what then is he appealing ?

No mind am
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by fergie001: 2:03pm On Mar 09, 2022
Cherrybae:

I totally agree with you. The judge erred in law for this sack.

Im sure NJC will query this judge.

This is miscarriage of justice
NJC won't touch him. He is one of the best FHC Judge, he handles practically all election-related cases.

The worse they will do is take some cases off him, or transfer him away from Abuja. He will be 58 on Saturday.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Unigrad: 2:06pm On Mar 09, 2022
Maxymilliano:
Thought he said no court can remove him what then is he appealing ?
Yeye dey smell follow him. He wouldn't appeal the judgement and see what would have happen to him.
Governors talking as if all powers belong to them.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by IgOga(m): 2:07pm On Mar 09, 2022
I thought this guy was running for President of Nigeria
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Zukky123(m): 2:09pm On Mar 09, 2022
I find it amazing that a youth with his complete sense will be projecting a presidential aspirant from the stone age, some that's as old as amadioha and lost sense with reality, someone that old age is taking a toll on his health and thinking capacity. We are our problems. Youths in Nigeria has lost it totally, just for peanuts, mortgaging your future. Little wonder they call us lazy youths. I don't even blame them, I'm just embarrassed I'm categorized as these senseless imbeciles who can't think for themselves. Let me see if the money you are being promised will last one month after their election into office... � � �
FreeStuffsNG:
Nice!!
One good thing is that all these sudden developments will all still end in praise to God for the Asiwaju Tinubu victory at the Presidential poll.

On the mandate of Asiwaju Tinubu I stand. Please support and vote for Asiwaju Tinubu.

Only patriotic Nigerians whose hearts are not filled with hatred, bitterness and bigotry are on board the BAT 2023 winning train.

Patriotic Nigerians on the BAT 2023 winning train are the Nigerians who have a stake in Nigeria and genuinely want to see Nigeria flourish, they are the Nigerians who will rather love than hate, who will rather build than burn/destroy and who will rather bless their nation than curse it.
They are not bigoted tribesmen and those who spread hate against their fellow human being.

Asiwaju Tinubu is a brilliant visionary leader who is a Patriot to the core. He will keep his promise to take Nigeria to greater heights.

1 Like

Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by sandymikky: 2:11pm On Mar 09, 2022
Oracleamehdin:
Umahi’s Sack: “Votes Cast In An Election Belong To A Live Candidate And Not The Political Party”
But why do we have parties logos and not candidates' pictures in the ballot paper?

2 Likes

Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by muykem: 2:14pm On Mar 09, 2022
The high Court judgment is very silly. The court doesn't suppose to hear the case in the first instance. You can't prosecuted someone enjoying immunity since the case is not pre-election matter or aroused from conduct of election itself.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by MumuYorubaBoy: 2:19pm On Mar 09, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Nice!!
One good thing is that all these sudden developments will all still end in praise to God for the Asiwaju Tinubu victory at the Presidential poll.

On the mandate of Asiwaju Tinubu I stand. Please support and vote for Asiwaju Tinubu.

Only patriotic Nigerians whose hearts are not filled with hatred, bitterness and bigotry are on board the BAT 2023 winning train.

Patriotic Nigerians on the BAT 2023 winning train are the Nigerians who have a stake in Nigeria and genuinely want to see Nigeria flourish, they are the Nigerians who will rather love than hate, who will rather build than burn/destroy and who will rather bless their nation than curse it.
They are not bigoted tribesmen and those who spread hate against their fellow human being.

Asiwaju Tinubu is a brilliant visionary leader who is a Patriot to the core. He will keep his promise to take Nigeria to greater heights.

Your Asiwaju's ambition is as comatose as your mumu website.

1 Like

Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Peacecore: 2:19pm On Mar 09, 2022
zionstaar75:
did u go to school

1 Like

Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Edipet(m): 2:20pm On Mar 09, 2022
Mooh247:
Enforce the existing court ruling first
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by garfield1: 2:21pm On Mar 09, 2022
fergie001:
This is a tough one but ....

The Constitution is silent on the repercussions that follow defection of persons under Section 308. The Judge is only to interprete the Constitution and not for any person(s) to infuse into it what is not. Ground 2 is sustained.

Section 308 covers the Offices of Gov, Dep-Gov, President & Vice-President. Only election petitions are sui generic. The case before this Court is not wrt to an election petition but defection. Ground 1 stands.

All others are academic.

Appeal Upheld.

Replace tough with easy
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 09, 2022
Antoeni:
How Can A Judge Say All Votes Belongs To PDP, What Of Those Non-Partisan People Who Voted For Dave Umahi ..

Apc Vs some aggrieved members of it in kogi State, the Supreme Court said the votes belonged to the party ad not the individual. That was exactly what brought Bello in.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Osilama1: 2:25pm On Mar 09, 2022
tesppidd:
One doesn't need a course in law to see that there is no constituional requirement for a governor to remain in one party.

Even a layman understands this.

Instead of NJC to caution this judge, they are busy attacking Umahi for "talking about the judge anyhow"

Judges - the most corrupt yet hollier than thou set of people in this country.
he should have headed to appeal Rather than talk anyhow... Let's see how d Case ll end...
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Waterlrd: 2:25pm On Mar 09, 2022
DatNaijaGuy:
Dave Umahi will definitely end his tenure as the governor of Ebonyi State.
The Court of Appeal will up turn that judgement.
However, I wish decampees can be punished like this, unfortunately this is Nigeria.
The issue & the target of the pdp here is to sack all the Ebonyi house of Assembly members that defected with him to Apc because the constitution was clear on those members of the house and l tell that, that is the greatest damage they can do to him. And if the plan is perfected, his hope of installing Apc member as Ebony Governor come 2023 is gone

4 Likes

Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Peacecore: 2:25pm On Mar 09, 2022
Frankiss44:

No word like that
The day wey Britain go catch dis guy 4 abuse of language go tough.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Osilama1: 2:26pm On Mar 09, 2022
tesppidd:
Because one man Wike wants to put the party in his pocket because he has Rivers resources.

And Umahi doesn't like that.
is that how tinubu decamped even buhari... Anyway 2023 ebonyi ll go back to PDP...

1 Like

Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Monchengladbach(m): 2:27pm On Mar 09, 2022
Barr idu igariwey we know as the governor
A very astute political scientists cum lawyer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by fergie001: 2:28pm On Mar 09, 2022
garfield1:
Replace tough with easy
Why I said tough is because I don't know Umahi's lawyers but they seem to be doing things the opposite way.

How can you tell the Court that Amaechi v INEC & Faleke v INEC isn't tenable, then begin to quote a 2012 Appeal Court Judgement?

How can you tell the Court that an Ebonyi High Court was over-ruled? This case came up in Nov 2021 and that of Ebonyi came up in Feb 2022.

Stand on the technicalities and kill it.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Peacecore: 2:32pm On Mar 09, 2022
Waterlrd:
The issue & the target of the pdp here is to sack all the Ebonyi house of Assembly members that defected with him to Apc because the constitution was clear on those members of the house and l tell that, that is the greatest damage they can do to him. And if the plan is perfected, his hope of installing Apc member as Ebony Governor come 2023 is gone
U should've asked urself why Dave appealed immediately while d house of assembly members are yet to do so. After analysing dia own case by senior lawyers, n their is no constitutional back up or technicality for dem 2 retain dia sits, den d they'll appeal d case late, n drag feet till dia tenures ends next year. Remember, it's not an election matter that have time frame.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by tesppidd: 2:35pm On Mar 09, 2022
Osilama1:
is that how tinubu decamped even buhari... Anyway 2023 ebonyi ll go back to PDP...
Tinubu is free to decamp if he feels Buhari has pocketed APC.

Wike has pocketed PDP and Umahi felt he needed to leave and he did!
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by tesppidd: 2:36pm On Mar 09, 2022
Osilama1:
he should have headed to appeal Rather than talk anyhow... Let's see how d Case ll end...
Dem dey tie person mouth?

Are they gods that cannot be talked to?
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Peacecore: 2:40pm On Mar 09, 2022
fergie001:

Why I said tough is because I don't know Umahi's lawyers but they seem to be doing things the opposite way.

How can you tell the Court that Amaechi v INEC & Faleke v INEC isn't tenable, then begin to quote a 2012 Appeal Court Judgement?

How can you tell the Court that an Ebonyi High Court was over-ruled? This case came up in Nov 2021 and that of Ebonyi came up in Feb 2022.

No be who first start run dey finish first. The first judgement stands between 2 court of coordinate jurisdiction. So the oda remains an accademic exercise.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by fergie001: 2:45pm On Mar 09, 2022
Peacecore:
No be who first start run dey finish first. The first judgement stands between 2 court of coordinate jurisdiction. So the oda remains an accademic exercise.
The first one was even filed by an APC member against Umahi.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by garfield1: 2:48pm On Mar 09, 2022
fergie001:

The lead lawyer should be chukwuma machukwu umeh SAN.I am not sure of his constotutional prowess but they did a good job.the case is not of technicality but of substance...
They are saying that amechhi vs omehia hhas been overtaken by 2012 judgment which states that it is not only parties that own votes but parties and candidates.both must work together and side by side.but once elections are over ang governance starts, both are no longer tied together.partisanship ends after election petitions
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by garfield1: 2:51pm On Mar 09, 2022
Waterlrd:

True but they will be fresh elections to replace those lawmakers
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by fergie001: 2:58pm On Mar 09, 2022
garfield1:
The lead lawyer should be chukwuma machukwu umeh SAN.I am not sure of his constotutional prowess but they did a good job.the case is not of technicality but of substance...

They are saying that amechhi vs omehia hhas been overtaken by 2012 judgment which states that it is not only parties that own votes but parties and candidates.both must work together and side by side.but once elections are over ang governance starts, both are no longer tied together.partisanship ends after election petitions
Chukwuma is good sha....
In these times, one wrong word and you are toast.

Faleke v INEC 2016 made it clear that political parties own the votes. The candidate only help enhance or diminish it.

I agree to the second part.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Peacecore: 2:58pm On Mar 09, 2022
fergie001:

The first one was even filed by an APC member against Umahi.
Now what do u think. Is not valid bcoz it's filed by APC members or bcoz it was filed last n finished first?
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by fergie001: 3:01pm On Mar 09, 2022
Peacecore:
Now what do u think. Is not valid bcoz it's filed by APC members or bcoz it was filed last n finished first?
What I am saying is none can over-rule the other been Courts of co-ordinate jurisdiction. Umahi will appeal this one because it affects him.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by WATCHOVER(m): 3:11pm On Mar 09, 2022
muykem:
The high Court judgment is very silly. The court doesn't suppose to hear the case in the first instance. You can't prosecuted someone enjoying immunity since the case is not pre-election matter or aroused from conduct of election itself.
Most of you fail because you emotionally read to pass but not to learn, immunity covers the governor only on Civil case aside that most especially in this decamping issue the judge made the right call, the only thing that people will say that will look sympathetic is the Judgment came late aside that the Judge was right
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Blazebond(m): 3:19pm On Mar 09, 2022
This ruling needs to stand,cross carpeting in Nigerian politics is being abused.
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by Peacecore: 3:21pm On Mar 09, 2022
fergie001:

What I am saying is none can over-rule the other been Courts of co-ordinate jurisdiction. Umahi will appeal this one because it affects him.
So as a learned person, what do u think it's going to happen at appeal court?
Re: Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling by eldajoh(m): 3:21pm On Mar 09, 2022
Inasmuch as I hate politicians junketing from one political party to another, there is error on this judgment or travesty on the judgment. Although before the case will reach supreme court his tenure will lapse

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu Hosts US Secretary Of State, Blinken, At Aso Rock / Police Arrest Oyeyode Over Killing Of US-Based Professor, Richard Adeoriokin / Osinbajo, Fashola And Kemi Adeosun In A Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.