Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,472 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

What Indigenous Practice Do You Think It Should No Longer Be Practiced Nowadays? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Indigenous Practice Do You Think It Should No Longer Be Practiced Nowadays? (397 Views)

Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" / Ezza: Indigenous Igbos Of Benue State Celebrate Cultural Festival / Why Cremation Should Be Practiced In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Indigenous Practice Do You Think It Should No Longer Be Practiced Nowadays? by Emperormartin(m): 6:05pm On Mar 09, 2022
Culture is the people way of life. Yes, there’s no dispute to that.

There are some ancient cultural practice which our forefathers partook which some of us are still actively doing today but I strongly believed they’ve outlived their purposes or lemme put it like this; they’re aren’t relevant in these our times.

I’ll illustrate one with what happened to me this evening.

As I went to market to buy some tomatoes; holding the bag of tomatoes with my right hand I dipped inside my pocket with my left hand and handed the woman my money but to my surprise she vehemently rejected it saying I should use my right hand. Right hand that is holding a bag ooo

I maintained my ground that she should collect this money from me and hand me my balance besides I’m buying other things. She started cursing me with Yoruba and her neighbors joined her.

Finally she gave me my balance and I quietly left that area but I felt bad because of the curses those women were throwing at me even though I don’t understand Yoruba language. Even the Igbo people where I come from it’s still the same thing…

Though I’m not naturally left handed but I think we supposed to outgrow despising people giving or collecting something with left hand.

What other practice, customs and norms do you think it is irrelevant in these present times?

NB: The market women I engaged with this evening were not more than 50yrs… so it baffled me seeing younger generations towing this part…

(1) (Reply)

Eid-el-fitri: Timi Felicitates Ede Muslim Ummah / Olu Of Warri Admonishes Subjects In Diaspora To Support Devt Of Itsekiri Land / Eid-el-kabir: Be A Good Ambassadors Of Edeland, Timi Urges Subjects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.