Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,725 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? (1312 Views)

Why Isn't There A Palestine State? / Joe Biden Totally Disparaged And Insulted The African American Community / Why Isn't There A King Of England? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 8:46pm On Mar 09, 2022
I don't understand why Elon Musk isn't Identified as African-American when he was born in Africa and held an African passport before the acquired a U.S passport.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by Kingpin1000: 9:01pm On Mar 09, 2022
Because He is super successful. The west tag Africans as backward people.

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by chameleon98: 9:07pm On Mar 09, 2022
The tag African-American is for the decedent of the black American slave... if you immigrate to the u.s today. you are an African immigrant not African-American... when you get citizenship then your name tag may be elevated
gistmega:
I don't understand why Elon Musk isn't Identified as African-American when he was born in Africa and held an African passport before the acquired a U.S passport.

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by WoundedLamb: 9:17pm On Mar 09, 2022
gistmega:

Well, African American is technically another name for black American aka afro American. It is an ethnicity that comprises of Americans of black African decent (partial ancestry inclusive). Before now, the term was used to describe descendants of enslaved Africans who are from the United States. However, it has evolved over time to include blacks and children of blacks who willingly moved to the US in recent times and got their citizenship.

The whites in South Africa are immigrants from the West (referred to as white Africans). Even if they move to the US, they wouldn't be called African Americans (which exclusively refer to blacks). It's all about ancestory and not necessarily nationality. Elon is not African in terms of ancestry. Calling him an African American will not only distort his ancestory, it will also obliterate the fact that's he's not of African decent.

When tied to nationality (passport), the individual's original nationality is rather hyphenated or just combined with the word "American". Example: Nigerian-American. So it's safe to refer to him as South African American. But then again, he's also Canadian, right? So maybe South African Canadian American? Honestly, I don't see why he should make it that complex if he doesn't want to. There are many like him in the US.

7 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 9:23pm On Mar 09, 2022
My question is deeper than what you read on Wikipedia. Reality! You do not seem to see the fine line. Has Elon ever been identified by his place of birth in all his public outings? Has any credit been given to his root? they only see poverty and crime. Have they seen Africa through Elon?
chameleon98:
The tag African-American is for the decedent of the black American slave... if you immigrate to the u.s today. you are an African immigrant not African-American... when you get citizenship then your name tag may be elevated

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by chameleon98: 9:43pm On Mar 09, 2022
this answer is the best answer for your question
WoundedLamb:

Well, African American is technically another name for black American aka afro American. It is an ethnicity that comprises of Americans of black African decent (partial ancestry inclusive). Before now, the term was used to describe descendants of enslaved Africans who are from the United States. However, it has evolved over time to include blacks and children of blacks who willingly moved to the US in recent times and got their citizenship.

The whites in South Africa are immigrants from the West (referred to as white Africans). Even if they move to the US, they wouldn't be called African Americans (which exclusively refer to blacks). It's all about ancestory and not necessarily nationality. Elon is not African in terms of ancestry. Calling him an African American will not only distort his ancestory, it will also obliterate the fact that's he's not of African decent.

When tied to nationality (passport), the individual's original nationality is rather hyphenated or just combined with the word "American". Example: Nigerian-American. So it's safe to refer to him as South African American. But then again, he's also Canadian, right? So maybe South African Canadian American? Honestly, I don't see why he should make it that complex if he doesn't want to. There are many like him in the US.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by Soulsymbol99: 10:01pm On Mar 09, 2022
I learnt that before Anthony Joshua became successful they used to refer to him as Nigerian born British boxer. Bt dem don comot Nigerian born nw. grin
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by seunny4lif(m): 12:07am On Mar 10, 2022
Successful and he is a white guy
grin grin grin grin
If he is a criminal then he is white African cheesy
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by compton11(m): 6:41am On Mar 10, 2022
gistmega:
African Americans are black people living in America that Thier ancestors were slaves

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 10, 2022
gistmega:

Chai! Please delete this asap.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by JohnBullMySon: 7:52am On Mar 10, 2022
gistmega:
I wondered about that too. Maybe because he doesn't look it. Or because he doesn't identify with Africa. He's also Canadian but he's never called Canadian American too.

He hated his father BTW. That might have been a factor.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by baralatie(m): 7:57am On Mar 10, 2022
gistmega:
Success set change nationality!

What would you think will be the case if Elon musk was a drug pushers?
You think they will call him an American
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by baralatie(m): 7:58am On Mar 10, 2022
Soulsymbol99:
I learnt that before Anthony Joshua became successful they used to refer to him as Nigerian born British boxer. Bt dem don comot Nigerian born nw. grin
You get am?

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 8:44pm On Mar 10, 2022
You are smart. That is when his African identity will be seeded in the clouds.
baralatie:

Success set change nationality!

What would you think will be the case if Elon musk was a drug pushers?
You think they will call him an American
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 8:52pm On Mar 10, 2022
The media does not care about your relationship with anyone. As long as you from a place, they will state it and publish it.
In all offenders' biography "born" is always included. "Nigerian-born..." One's place of birth has a strong tie to that person's recognition. Canada is only an acquired citizenship. The man was almost an adult before leaving South Africa. He left before his 18th birthday to avoid conscription. He was fully formed. All his childhood memory is Africa. His formation is Africa. It is shocking that unwise Africans feed into the narrative in which they are al painted. They will defend racism thinking that they are enlightened or trying to show off their half-baked knowledge.
JohnBullMySon:
I wondered about that too. Maybe because he doesn't look it. Or because he doesn't identify with Africa. He's also Canadian but he's never called Canadian American too.

He hated his father BTW. That might have been a factor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 8:52pm On Mar 10, 2022
BritishNaija:

Chai! Please delete this asap.
Why should I?
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 8:54pm On Mar 10, 2022
How about the blacks living in Jamaica?
compton11:
African Americans are black people living in America that Thier ancestors were slaves
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Mar 10, 2022
gistmega:
Why should I?

It tells the world you do not know what or persons African American applies to.

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 9:20pm On Mar 10, 2022
I am not in your class, bro. I can't decipher this cradle encryption.
Kindly write your texts legibly.
BritishNaija:

He tells the world you do not know what or persons African American applies to.
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by compton11(m): 9:44pm On Mar 10, 2022
gistmega:
How about the blacks living in Jamaica?
they are just Jamaicans but if they live in US,they would be referred as Jamaican Americans
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Mar 10, 2022
gistmega:
I am not in your class, bro. I can't decipher this cradle encryption.
Kindly write your texts legibly.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by chopnaira: 10:30pm On Mar 10, 2022
He is an Afrikaan
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by wealthtrak: 11:19pm On Mar 10, 2022
chopnaira:
He is an Afrikaan
Elon Musk is Jewish not
an Afrikaan (white Dutch
descendants).
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by wealthtrak: 11:23pm On Mar 10, 2022
gistmega:
Interesting convo.

Elon Musk is a South African-American of Ashkenazi (or
European) Jewish immigrants
to South Africa.

Elon Musk also qualifies as a
Jewish-American.
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by sunboy(m): 12:33am On Mar 11, 2022
gistmega:

But his race is not black. His parents are not black, being South African doesn’t automatically make you black.

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by panafrican(m): 12:58am On Mar 11, 2022
gistmega:
Former UK prime minister Tony Blair is from Sierra Leone.
Did people know that?
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by drakeli: 1:32am On Mar 11, 2022
gistmega:

The same reason Africans born in places like the UK are not referred to as African Europeans. Why do you think it’s appropriate for a European born in Africa to be referred to as African?

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 5:34am On Mar 11, 2022
You are very smart.
That is the point.
panafrican:

Former UK prime minister Tony Blair is from Sierra Leone.
Did people know that?
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 5:37am On Mar 11, 2022
You cited the point. It is a racist tag concocted by the very racist founding fathers of the U.S. That is why I laugh at all these Nigerians playing smart by reading from Wikipedia without using their heads.
That is not an identification. It is a racist tag and more like a modernized synonym for "Nigga".
drakeli:

The same reason Africans born in places like the UK are not referred to as African Europeans. Why do you think it’s appropriate for a European born in Africa to be referred to as African?
Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 5:46am On Mar 11, 2022
Let us reason for a minute, are you truly black? Did you learn your color in school? If so, kindly look at your skin and compare it to that color that you were taught in school. I will provide charts of labelled colors below and would want you to see the names of colors that they teach in art schools. See if the color that you are tagged matches any of the color that matches your skin.
sunboy:

But his race is not black. His parents are not black, being South African doesn’t automatically make you black.

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 5:55am On Mar 11, 2022
There we go! The conversation is expanding. Would you also call an Ethiopian Jew, "Jewish-American"? haha. If Nnamdi Kanu had a U.S nationality, would YOU accept that he is Jewish-American?
See, we have been totally brain-washed to the point that each time we win a race, we give the trophy to a white man because we consider ourselves unworthy.
Recall, there were blacks in Israel who were also Jews. But, for centuries they have made everyone to believe that all Jews are white. Joseph, the son of Jacob had two sons with an Egyptian woman. The Ethiopian Eunuch was a Jew and so were many Ethiopians.
So, why does the right to Jewish identification belong solely to people from European descent?

I love your verbiage, "South African-American". That is rich indeed.
wealthtrak:

Interesting convo.

Elon Musk is a South African-American of Ashkenazi (or
European) Jewish immigrants
to South Africa.

Elon Musk also qualifies as a
Jewish-American.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Elon Musk Called African-american? by gistmega: 6:02am On Mar 11, 2022
Are you a codeine souse? Can you articulate your point coherently?
BritishNaija:

(1) (2) (Reply)

No More German Army Weapons For Ukraine – Berlin / The Next Leader Of China / Meet The Word's "Poorest" President (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.